Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
And that's the thing with most of the Netflix movies that I've seen: you tend to have a great premise/concept, stellar cast, but then it's almost as if everything else is half-assed/rushed, especially the story, directing, execution, editing... I don't get it.
Really hope this is not the case with The Irishman... very much looking forward to that because of its stellar cast and crew...
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Really hope this is not the case with The Irishman... very much looking forward to that because of its stellar cast and crew...
Considering it has a 140m budget and Scorsese is at the helm, I don't think that will be the case.

However, that just reminded me of that terrible CGI rat that was added at the end of the The Departed... absolutely ridiculous, and a kickstarter was even made some weeks ago about wanting to digitally remove that rat, because it's so bad. Btw, the original trilogy, Infernal Affairs, is well worth the watch, especially the 1st one, for those who haven't seen it.

But umm, I must say I'm probably not going to watch The Irishman. Of course, if it turns out to be this surprisingly good, universal hit, I very well might, but as it stands I have absolutely no interest in it, despite its cast.

The reason? Well, people might think that this is pretty dumb, and that's fine, but a few years back, right before The Silence premiered around here (which I was initially going to see), Scorsese said something along the lines of "I don't bother watching new films anymore because there's just no good films being made nowadays."

And my immediate response was like "well then fuck you, in that case why should I go and see your film?", and to this day I haven't watched it.
I don't know, it's just one of those things that angered me, because not only it's not true, the guy was also patting himself on the back implying that no one makes films like he does, plus he's probably the kind of guy that only sees films in the american language, too.

I just thought it was quite disrespectful to the world of cinema overall, especially coming from someone who's considered a "living master". I wasn't really a fan of his to begin with or anything like that, but his words ellicited a hard "fuck you" from me, and I still feel the same way.

:cookiehand
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I had forgotten that rat.. and yeah Infernal Affairs is a great film trilogy for sure, I liked those better than The Departed.

Honestly I hadn’t heard about Scorsese saying that. Had to Google it to find an exact quote and.. yeah. Like, I guess what he’s getting at, but he really did say like a big FU to the whole industry. If he had said it as a big FU to most of the mainstream industry (he said there’s an over-saturation and that the words and images on screen don’t really have meaning anymore which is true for a LOT of mainstream films these days I reckon), I would’ve been on board. But yeah, that was a kinda shitty and disrespectful way to put it.

I haven’t seen Silence either, but that’s because the premise ust hasn’t really interested me. I will see The Irishman though, despite what he’s said.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I had forgotten that rat.. and yeah Infernal Affairs is a great film trilogy for sure, I liked those better than The Departed.

Honestly I hadn’t heard about Scorsese saying that. Had to Google it to find an exact quote and.. yeah. Like, I guess what he’s getting at, but he really did say like a big FU to the whole industry. If he had said it as a big FU to most of the mainstream industry (he said there’s an over-saturation and that the words and images on screen don’t really have meaning anymore which is true for a LOT of mainstream films these days I reckon), I would’ve been on board. But yeah, that was a kinda shitty and disrespectful way to put it.

I haven’t seen Silence either, but that’s because the premise ust hasn’t really interested me. I will see The Irishman though, despite what he’s said.
Yeah I man, as I said, this is just me. Of course you also have to take into consideration that not only do I really love cinema as a whole, I also graduated from a filmmaking course and hope to "make it" some day, in some form of another, so again, to hear him say that it's as you said, disrespectful and sad.

I get it that there's "shades" to what he said, but his overall tone and message was just bad and infuriating, in my opinion. Not that I "care" or esteem his words, but they certainly have put me off of watching anything he makes.

Chances are you'll see the film first before anyone I know IRL does, so I'll be looking forward to your opinion/guidance on this matter, heh. I think it's supposed to release sometime in October or something?
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Just saw Fate Stay/Night Heavens Feel ep2 Lost Butterfly.
There is one more part being released in spring 2020.

I enjoyed it immensely so far and am looking forward to the last episode and the Blu-Ray releases.

Heavens Feel is the last story route from the Fate Stay/Night game and is usually considered the most emotional route whereas Ultimate Blade Works is the most badass one.

Of course, since I haven’t followed the 3rd route I’m biased :XD

A LOT of stuff happened in this episode and it’s all good... so find a theatre showing it and buy a ticket! Don’t wait though as I don’t think it’ll be around for long.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Here's a review for it!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/fate/stay-night/heaven-feel-ii-lost-butterfly/.141876
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
James Gunn has been reinstated by Disney as director for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3.

I'm really happy about that one.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Recent flicks:

The Sweet Smell of Success - It's a good movie, I just feel dirty after watching it. Hunsecker and Sidney are hard to sit through, while at the same time being great characters in their own right. The wit/dialogue part of this is brilliant tho. But like I said, it's dirty.

Seagal films: Where do I start. I shouldn't have, for one. I have fond memories of watching his movies, but just about everyone I touched was a letdown. Hard to Kill namely, jesus, I could've sworn this was a top 10 action movie ever but no. Nico: Above the Law is just too much. I'll give it to Under Siege, this was still great, Busey was lmao I forgot about that (still cake-chan is best-chan). Fire Down Below is still the gold standard as far as bad movies that I like go. There were a few others that aren't worth mentioning. Maybe I just appreciated the arrogance of his MC's... but it was getting to me lol. At least I didn't dig up the whole 90-00s flicks where he couldn't pick a culture...

Sleep Has Her House - An experimental film where you're in the bush the whole time, at I guess a valley. And at some point there's a storm. I enjoyed it because I do find the outdoors therapeutic. The storm parts were a little scary too. The closing scene was some water trance or maybe a meteorological image of a storm. All of those produced some fantastic images and cuts. Didn't really have anything to think about, it's like you're stuck out in the elements, staring into the sky/stars and looking at anything that might catch your eye like the sun setting over a creek or the moonlight cast over a mountain just to pass the time (til the storm comes then you freak). Not sure how great of a movie you would call this, I thought it was worth checking out and I'll see what I think of it over time.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Hulu has Shoplifters...thnx for the recommendation guys...now I'm depressed like fuck xD

Great movie....loved it:thumbs
When I first saw the film, I also felt slightly sad with the way it ended, but then when I started to think a little bit more about it,

I realized that in the end, there's a clear contrast with the way the little girl is behaving:
When the parents first stumbled upon her, on the balcony or whatever, she was sitting on the ground in a rather hopeless fashion.
But at the end of the film, while she's back to her asshole parents' home and not much seems to have changed, when she's outside she's now standing up and looking right ahead and into the world.

Personally, I took it that she was now more confident, and/or that she knows that it's not all bad, and that it's possible for things to get better again for her.

Sleep Has Her House - An experimental film where you're in the bush the whole time, at I guess a valley. And at some point there's a storm. I enjoyed it because I do find the outdoors therapeutic. The storm parts were a little scary too. The closing scene was some water trance or maybe a meteorological image of a storm. All of those produced some fantastic images and cuts. Didn't really have anything to think about, it's like you're stuck out in the elements, staring into the sky/stars and looking at anything that might catch your eye like the sun setting over a creek or the moonlight cast over a mountain just to pass the time (til the storm comes then you freak). Not sure how great of a movie you would call this, I thought it was worth checking out and I'll see what I think of it over time.
Bruh, I knew I recognized that title.

I was supposed to go and see it at a film festival back in 2017, but my friend overslept and didn't meet me there in time.
Thankfully I hadn't bought the tickets yet, and I ended up going back to her place and spend some time with her.

I wasn't really upset or anything because it's such an experimental film, but yeah, missed out on that one.

Where did you see it btw?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Bruuuh, my friend and I both won tickets (so 4 tickets total) for a screening of "Us" tomorrow :O!

That was so unexpected, this is the 4th film I'll be seeing for free this year but it's definitely the first big, mainstream one. I had totally made up my mind that I wasn't going to win anything for this one so I'm pretty mindblown!

Really excited for the film, didn't watch any trailers. Wasn't a big fan of Get Out, but we'll see! From what I hear it's decisively more horror-like.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Us definitely is a must-watch of the year for me. Unlike many others I loved Get Out and Us seems like it takes the freaky atmosphere of that and makes it a lot more horror rather than the psychological thriller/comedy blend that was Get Out. So jealous you won tickets!
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Us definitely is a must-watch of the year for me. Unlike many others I loved Get Out and Us seems like it takes the freaky atmosphere of that and makes it a lot more horror rather than the psychological thriller/comedy blend that was Get Out. So jealous you won tickets!
Yeah, as I said it was really unexpected.
I participated in 3 contests, and told my friend to do the same. The contests ended on Monday at 10h, 15h and 16h, so by the time it was around 17h-18h, I figured I hadn't won anything at all since I had nothing on my inbox.

Skip to 22h where I happened to check my email before heading out, and boom, there it was, sent an hour before.

I showed it on my friend's phone as a "surprise" when I went to meet him, and then I told him "hey you should check your email again, just in case", and there it was as well! From the same exact contest/sponsor, too.

It was crazy but yeah, can't complain.

So I just got back home, and I can safely say I really enjoyed the film.

It was definitely a whole lot more enjoyable than Get Out for me by a long mile. It was well crafted, but it wasn't a perfect film, although the things I had issues with aren't really that important, I guess, but it's definitely cool seeing how Jordan Peele is evolving and honing his craft.

A good experience, solidly crafted, but honestly I fee like it probably won't even make on my top 10 horror films of the year, I don't know. It might still grow on me in the meantime, but as it is I really liked, had a really good time.

It's too bad I had already gotten a little glimpse of a certain theory regarding some things, but as the movie unfolds some things just become incredibly apparent/on the nose.

Also I can safely say that I'm REALLY glad I didn't watch any teasers or trailers (I only saw it just a while ago, my friend showed it to me after the film), made it all the more surprising and immersive for me.

But yeah, I'm keeping this all vague because I don't want to spoil anything until others have seen it c:

So that's it for now, unless anyone has any questions or something.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Just saw "Us". Pretty interesting horror movie idea, although it feels like you need a big suspension of disbelief to fully enjoy it. And the more I think about it the more the movie falls apart for me.
For example, it's said that the underground people were abandoned after their creators realized they didn't have a soul and after they were abandoned they continued to live on their own for generations. How did the underground people survive for so long? They only had rabbits to eat. Was their an endless supply of rabbits for hundreds of millions of people? Where did the water for so many people come from? Where did they get all the red jumpsuits, gloves and golden scissors for their attack from?
How were the underground people able to create near identical twins of their aboveground counterparts without any outer or supernatural interference? Every aboveground person had an underground twin that looked exactly like them. There was even an actual pair of biological twins from the aboveground who each had their own twin counterparts from the underground. What are the actual chances for something like that?
How did Red coordinate this whole attack on the USA? The underground people attacked the whole country in less than 1 day and in the end created a human line from one end of the USA to the other by holding hands. Red was the only person in the underground who could actually talk, albeit with a broken voice after what her twin did. How could 1 person coordinate this nation wide attack if she is the only one who can talk?
What forced the underground people to copy their aboveground twins' actions? Everything the aboveground people did the underground people copied at the exact same time. They even copied something like riding a rollercoaster and the motions people made during the ride.
Before the attack, did the underground twins die at the exact same time their aboveground twins died? If not, what did they do without their aboveground twin?
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
"Us" 10 / 10 :super


I got to see this early on Thursday night and it wasn't what I expected it to be at all and that's a good thing. I was thinking this would be another film like Peele's previous film "Get Out", but "Us" is something totally different and for me, what made the movie creative was it broke a lot of rules when it comes to how we see people in films like this. First and foremost, the entire cast from main to supportive roles worked with reasons that added to the story as it plays out from beginning to end. Even the rabbits had a creepy tone to their appearances, movements and real role in the film as well.

The ideas I can see people obsessing over and over and giving their theories about and all, but I think I just took the movie as movie and rode with it and enjoyed it. There's an amazing build up done in the start with establishing the family and how they interact with one another and by the film's end revelation and how that was told visually, you go back over to that and pause. You realize what's been done and you either like it or you don't and it was done well.

There are major references to past films in this movie from characters, performances and even, production work for scenes and areas. From Martyrs (2008), It Follows (2014), The Shining (1980) and The Birds (1963), plus many other films too, but those references stood out the most for me and yes, it's just new for the horror genre on a visually and cultural level to see Blacks portrayed like this in the most simple roles. I know, some may roll their eyes and disagree with that political comment, but it's true and the past proves it with your biggest horror franchises.

Will be seeing it again this weekend and I think, the second time around will be a different experience than the first.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Just saw "Us". Pretty interesting horror movie idea, although it feels like you need a big suspension of disbelief to fully enjoy it. And the more I think about it the more the movie falls apart for me.
Yep, you pretty much brought up everything that was on my mind as well. Like, you don't need those answers to "enjoy" the film, but the more you think about it, the more it just seems to fall apart.

Like, nevermind "surviving", how are children even able to be born/grow up down there, when there's no medical care or medicine...? The bad mother, revealed to be the original one, even says that she had to perform c-section on herself to deliver the baby... How are the underground tunnels not infested with diseases...? How come these people haven't died out in 30+ years...? What about the clones that died, where do their corpses go to...? If in 1986 the project was already abandoned, how come there's still electricity running in present time?

Jordan Peele has said that he has written all of the backstory in regards to those characters, and recent articles are hinting at a possible "secret trilogy" like Unbreakable/Split/Glass, so there MAY be an explanation for all of it, and things might tie-in together, but I just don't see how.

Film was enjoyable, but so many things about those revelations don't make any logistical sense.


Will be seeing it again this weekend and I think, the second time around will be a different experience than the first.
There was a very nice touch that I only realized after I left the theaters, but I'll put it in spoilers in case you'd rather not read about it before you see the film again:

Remember when the double daughter is thrown out of the moving car, and she ends up in the woods where she dies because of her injuries?

At this point, the mother leaves the car and goes to check her out, and I remember thinking "why...? What the fuck are you doing, just stay in the car and leave", which is what all of her family members did.

She goes to check out the double daughter, and then leaves upon seeing her die.

Towards the end of the film, she also approaches the double son in the hopes that he will listen to her and not blow up the car.

It only blew my mind after leaving the theater that the reason for her strange behavior was that SUBCONSCIOUSLY she knew that those should've been her kids: the clone mom birthed the "normal kids", while the original mom ended up birthing the "clone kids", hell she evens says she birthed " a monster", so I thought that was a pretty damn nice touch that explained her actions.

Also, it may be that Elizabeth Moss' clone didn't kill the mom and instead started slashing her own face because she looked exactly like their leader, which probably screwed with her brains.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

So the other day I finally got around to watch On The Silver Globe and... I don't really know, to be honest, but I guess I was kinda mildly disappointed by it.

While it is true that the film was never properly finished (1/5th of it is missing/was destroyed, so there's a lot of voiceover) and it is also from the late 80s, I was expecting something else considering that it's often mentioned in relation to Hard To Be a God and the likes.



There's a lot to like about the film, especially the setting, the "lore" and everything, and there were even some shots where I felt like the way the camera moved felt very "recent", so that was pretty cool.

However, while in Hard To Be a God you have scarce dialogue that doesn't often make much sense, here it's the exact opposite: you have countless scenes where characters go on and on with super meta tirades, and while some sentences (or even the script as a whole) made me go "wow, alright, nice way to put it" due to how poetic they sound, in the end it proved to be quite a frickin' overload on the senses.

It was quite overwhelming at times.

I regret not catching a screening of the restored version a few years ago, then again I think I had to see Hard To Be a God first for me to enjoy this one and all the others I still have to watch.

But yeah, based on all the imagery I had previously seen, I was expecting a different kind of film as a whole, but that's the thing:

With this film, the Polish goverment pulled the plug on the production, so it was never finished (and the film clearly suffers from this), while Hard To Be a God took like 6 years to film, and another 6-7 years before being released for the first time, and you can tell the amount of work that was put into it by seeing it.

So in a way, yeah, not really fair to compare the two, but I was expecting a much more hard-hitting film, though it had its moments.

But I'm glad I still have quite a few semi-related films to watch: Marketa Lazarová (might be the next one I watch), Days of Eclipse, and a few others.

:cookiehand

In other news, I might've committed a bit of an oopsie.

So like, a couple of weeks ago, these "early" voucher packs (which can be traded for film tickets for the film festival) went on sale at a special discount, except that this year, they said that these packs would be limited to just a 100, so it was gonna be first come, first served.

Last year I bought a pack of 10 vouchers/tickets, and I could have seen more than 10 films, so my dilemma was "should I buy one pack, or two?"

I ended up buying 2 (so 20 tickets total), but bear in mind that the entire film programming wasn't out yet by then, it only came out today, and uh... yeah, I might've jumped the gun a little too soon, should've just stuck with 1 pack I guess.

I mean, as of now, I listed about 17 I might be potentially interested in, but a handful of those are a hard "maybe", and there's 1 or two I don't really want to watch.

I won't know for sure how it's gonna be until the actual schedule/screening time is released a further couple of weeks from now, but yeah, I'm kinda disappointed with the films this year.

Or maybe it's just that I was super hyped/convinced that certain films would be screened, but nope. Even the "midnight section" (which isn't really a midnight section but kinda) looks super bland, but I'll be seeing In Fabric for sure, althougn when it comes to horror stuff I was really counting on The Lodge.

And well, I guess I'll more than likely be able to sell any remaining vouchers to my friends/dad, so I don't think I'll end up losing money on it, but compared to last year where I saw some of my favorites of '18 (An Elephant Sitting Still), I'm not THAT excited for the films this year.

BUT, having so many tickets/films to pick means I'll also be getting out of my "comfort zone" so to speak, and I might end up seeing some surprises, who knows.

(worst part is that I could've waited until today before buying any packs because they're still in stock, but thanks to me being so paranoid and ocd about this kind of thing, I just had to do it on that day, but now I know better and won't be doing the same next year).
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Shazam! 9 / 10 :hi

Another home run for the DC universe and it seems to me there taking notes and learning from past mistakes in how to approach their characters. I am also pleased that this film and "Aquaman" were done so well to me. Normally, DC wouldn't take chances with these characters, but they did and it worked. Sandberg and Levi collaborated really well on this one and it's tone is comedy all the way and keeps you entertained. This film is more like a kid's perspective of becoming a superhero unlike previous ones that have already been done like Spider-Man or Batman.

I think, that's what really makes Shazam! special and unique in it's own way. I do think this was better than "Captain Marvel" and not trying to start rivalry, but it's true. Looking forward to what other solo projects are in the works from DC, too then.


p.s., I got to see the newest teaser trailer for "Joker" film and looks interesting, always been a fan of Todd Phillips (Road Trip, The Hangover) and a director who's alway dabbed in comedy, I think, his approach to this project will be similar but different as far as depicting the background of comedians. Most comedians come from a dark place in life and find humor in coping with life and seeing this trailer looks like that will be a major focus for the birth of Joker.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Went to see another couple of movies for free (bringing the total to 6 as of now :cookiehand): Piercing and Beast.

Piercing didn't turn out to be what I was expecting at all... and in this case that's not a good thing. It's a trippy, weird film (based on a wtf novel by Ryu Murakami) that doesn't really go anywhere. It's only 80mins long so it's over rather quickly and you can see it as an "experience"/experimental flick more than anything else, but yeah, I totally thought I would be getting a certain type of story but ended up getting something else instead.

In short, not what I was expecting, was slightly disappointed (though this is one of those rare cases where I'm glad I didn't go see it at a film festival back in September, if I had I would've been MASSIVELY disappointed and angry that I spent money on it, not to mention that the screening, a double bill, started 1 hour later), but in the end I saw it for free and the film is super short (by my standards) so it was fine, I guess.

I don't recommend it, though, but I'm really digging Christopher Abbott in the roles I've seen him in, and I hope he starts getting bigger and bigger roles.

Beast was surprisingly quite enjoyable. It was well shot and kinda kept me guessing all the way through. The end felt a bit sudden, but at the same time I can feel/tell that "all the answers are there", y'know? It's the first feature length by the director I believe, and yeah it was an alright little flick, better than I was expecting, and it was worth the time. Once again, I can't see this film making it to my top of the year, but it was alright in every sense of the word.
 
  • Like
Reactions: z.5

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I saw hellboy a few days ago. While it wasn't anything groundbreaking, I did enjoy the film. It kinda felt like it didn't transition between its attempted humor and gore very well at times though. That said, I did enjoy the gore more than its humor. And while the lack of del toro monsters was noticeable, I did like the monsters in the movie. I kinda wish the one in the trailer that destroyed the bridge had more of a role though.

I know hellboy from movies mostly so my lore on it is kinda non existent but I kinda want to know why exactly holding excalibur made him transform. If it was like in the first movie that just saying his name made the trick I wouldn't question it but if its a holy sword that is largely objectively good then it just looks weird. I did like the general transformation though.

Mila jovovich was fun (and hot) in the movie as well. She didn't specifically steal any scenes either but still.

Anyways, I'd watch another hellboy movie but mostly because I generally enjoy hellboy movies.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Shazam for me was a good movie with fun moments but I didn't find it as amazing as it was made out to be. I found the demons to look kinda silly and somewhat out of tune with the rest of the film.

Another bit that kinda took me out of it was that it didn't look like adult and young billy were the same character. Young billy looked sad and brooding but meanwhile adult billy was just about the fun and charisma. At least as far as acting goes it felt kinda off.

Also, I think the movie made a mistake in general when casting young billy. The guy is 16 years old or something. If there is a shazam sequel then he will be about 18 years old when its out. Essentially an adult looking guy. So.... What exactly will he transform into then? A different adult? Is shazam not suppose to be an adult version of billy?
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I ended up going to theaters and seeing Sunset (Napszállta) because I won free tickets, and even then, let me tell you, I was kinda hoping I wouldn't win.

A while ago I mentioned on here how I wasn't particularly drawn to that film judging by the synopsis alone and the setting (didn't even watch any trailers because it just didn't sound interesting to me), but I thought what the hell, since I could go and watch it for free, I might as well.

Long story short, I'm glad I did.

It proved to be a really pleasant surprise on so many levels, especially the story.

For reference, I knew that the film was set in Budapest in 1913, before WWI, and I remember thinking that it probably was just a "boring" historic-like drama.

Worthy of mention is the fact that the director previously made Son of Saul, which is an incredible and heavy piece of filmmaking, and because that was such a strong film to stomach, Sunset seemed very tame to me in comparison.

I was under the impression that it was even rated PG-13, but I was wrong it was rated R.

Having previously seen Son of Saul, I could definitely admire Sunset A LOT, especially when it came to sound mixing/in general, which is something that MADE Son of Saul what it is.

I implore you to watch "Saul" if you haven't yet. It's a very, very hard film to sit through, but the execution and directing is astonishing. The director has even commented how these two films are like "both halves of the same coin", but you can definitely appreciate one without having seen the other.

With that said, Sunset is nowhere near as engaging for obvious reasons, but I really liked the fact that they don't spell out the entire story to you. The film is nearly 2h30mins long, but a lot of things are never clarified and explained, and that's fine.

In this film, it just works.

So yeah, I was REALLY plesantly surprised by the film and I'm glad I gave it a chance, and it's all the more mindblowing to me to know that it was made for less than 9 million euros.

Here's the trailer


@kkck

Regarding Hellboy, from what I understand (basic google searches, but you might want to explore the Hellboy Wikia)

Hellboy is King Arthur's descendant and Britain's rightful King. As to the hows and whys that is, I don't know, but if he's directly related to him, that might explain why he transforms upon entering in contact with it

Regarding the bridge monster, the design reminded me of the Eldrazi from Magic The Gathering, the imagery is extremely similar.

Google it and see for yourself if you're not familiar with it, here's some examples:

 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Saw Glass finally... I thought it was pretty bad. And that's coming from someone who enjoys Shyamalan and Unbreakable a lot. Shyamalan had a movie he wanted to make but didn't have a script deserving of his ambitions. So much of it was nonsensical, awkward, and unintentionally campy. Which I don't remember being an issue at all in the previous movies.
 
Top