Recent watches:
Ready Player One - While it's corny and predictably annoying at times, found it to be charming and enjoyable overall. It's like a Marvel type movie, with Willy Wonka vibes, pop culture references and the lighting of a Spielberg movie (seriously it was as if a flash grenade went off in the junkyard the first time Wade went into Oasis lol). The reference trope is a little tiring but I'm good with it because of the heart behind it. So I liked RPO, while conceding it's not a great movie.
Movies by Sergei Paradjanov - a friend of mine loves his movies, so I bought 4 in a set, watched two of them. Color of Pomegranates was the one I knew as the 'critically acclaimed/masterpiece', so I watched that first. I know nothing about the content, history or culture involved in this movie; and for that reason I don't believe I can fully understand and appreciate it. It's more or less a subjective/surreal biography. What my friend had said, and it's true, is that Tarsem Singh's The Fall ripped off some imagery from Paradjanov. I'd recommend Pomegranates to anyone who likes surreal/artistic movies, or likes seeing acclaimed films to tick off their lists. I was happy to see it, not a converted fanboy tho. Only 70-ish mins runtime so it's almost a TV episode.
Henry: Portrai of a Serial Killer I just want to mention, as a horror movie, I think this is up there with my faves. Scary how real it feels, and how easy it is for Henry to kill. Great villain and performance by Michael Rooker. Would recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it. Some of the scenes are tough to watch.
I plan to watch some more 'acclaimed' movies I've never seen such as A Brighter Summer Day and A Short Film about Love.
I can't remember watching a movie and felt disgusted from the world/environment of it. The mud, the shit, the vomit, the blood... you name it, it's everywhere. The camera throws you right in there too, it's pretty relentless. It makes you feel crazy, it's more of a trial than a film.
It is a great film though, no question. There's a lot of commitment from the sets, camera work, and ofc the actors who put themselves through a lot to create this world. I feel like these comments are reducing how excessively magnificent this movie is in many aspects.
Hard to be a God requires more viewings for sure. Like, it took me a good 30mins just to get a hang of the dialogue, which isn't helped by the observer style camera work. Don Rumata especially was hard to synch with early on, because of how he comments, with little change in tone or volume in his voice. After a while you get used to it, because he feels amused, hopeless and pity for that world. He's an incredible character just thinking about it. But yea, another watch would help me.
Ready Player One - While it's corny and predictably annoying at times, found it to be charming and enjoyable overall. It's like a Marvel type movie, with Willy Wonka vibes, pop culture references and the lighting of a Spielberg movie (seriously it was as if a flash grenade went off in the junkyard the first time Wade went into Oasis lol). The reference trope is a little tiring but I'm good with it because of the heart behind it. So I liked RPO, while conceding it's not a great movie.
Movies by Sergei Paradjanov - a friend of mine loves his movies, so I bought 4 in a set, watched two of them. Color of Pomegranates was the one I knew as the 'critically acclaimed/masterpiece', so I watched that first. I know nothing about the content, history or culture involved in this movie; and for that reason I don't believe I can fully understand and appreciate it. It's more or less a subjective/surreal biography. What my friend had said, and it's true, is that Tarsem Singh's The Fall ripped off some imagery from Paradjanov. I'd recommend Pomegranates to anyone who likes surreal/artistic movies, or likes seeing acclaimed films to tick off their lists. I was happy to see it, not a converted fanboy tho. Only 70-ish mins runtime so it's almost a TV episode.
Henry: Portrai of a Serial Killer I just want to mention, as a horror movie, I think this is up there with my faves. Scary how real it feels, and how easy it is for Henry to kill. Great villain and performance by Michael Rooker. Would recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it. Some of the scenes are tough to watch.
I plan to watch some more 'acclaimed' movies I've never seen such as A Brighter Summer Day and A Short Film about Love.
Hard To Be a God
Hard To Be a God
Hard To Be a God
More like Hard to Be a Viewer...Hard To Be a God
I can't remember watching a movie and felt disgusted from the world/environment of it. The mud, the shit, the vomit, the blood... you name it, it's everywhere. The camera throws you right in there too, it's pretty relentless. It makes you feel crazy, it's more of a trial than a film.
It is a great film though, no question. There's a lot of commitment from the sets, camera work, and ofc the actors who put themselves through a lot to create this world. I feel like these comments are reducing how excessively magnificent this movie is in many aspects.
Hard to be a God requires more viewings for sure. Like, it took me a good 30mins just to get a hang of the dialogue, which isn't helped by the observer style camera work. Don Rumata especially was hard to synch with early on, because of how he comments, with little change in tone or volume in his voice. After a while you get used to it, because he feels amused, hopeless and pity for that world. He's an incredible character just thinking about it. But yea, another watch would help me.



