Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Hey everyone, been a while since I posted here!
It's the end of the year so I just had to squeeze in one last post with all the rest of the films I've seen this year, 47 since my last post, to be exact.

I'll try to keep these short when possible!

:cookiehand

- Mon Amour:
A 3h long documentary, where the director goes to Siberia as he's dealing with the suicide of his lover. While there, he interviews local couples from all walks of life, and asks them about love, heartbreak, and the like.
I was very surprised once the credits started rolling, because I thought the film was only halfway still.

So pacing-wise, no problems whatsoever. I did, however, find the Siberia/local stuff much more interesting than the personal life of the director (which is spliced in throughout with thoughts, pics of him and his lover, details of their relationship, etc.).
:cookiehand
- The Turin Horse:
After yearssss of wanting to see this one, I finally got around to, and on the big screen no less.
Unfortunately, it just wasn't anything like what I had in mind.
I can certainly appreciate the craft behind it, and I wouldn't call it "boring", but I just didn't get anything from it, I don't think.
Also they kept re-using the same song over and over and over again. Repetition is a big theme throughout the entire film, but my god that music was killing me.
Glad I can finally cross this one off my list. Still want to see more Béla Tarr films, but so far the 2 I've seen left me very displeased.
:cookiehand
- The Best Is Yet To Come:
The movie had its moments, but unfortunately I think it waited until wayyy too late towards the end of the film to finally get to what it was all about (I went mostly blind into this one), so that was weird.
It was an enjoyable watch, with a couple of strong moments, but it could've been better told (based on IRL events I believe).
At least the film gave me this dope track which I loved for some reason, played in the film, and then again during the credits:
:cookiehand
- In The Dusk:
Thought I was going to see a war film, left extremely disappointed. I got up immediately as soon as the credits started rolling, and usually I always sit down until the lights come on. I couldn't wait to get out of there. It just wasn't interesting in the least.
Well shot? Sure, but that was about it. Just a collection of events, no real "story" behind it. Waste of time for me.
:cookiestare
- Beginning:
Was really looking forward to this one. Even though I didn't quite get what I was expecting, it was still a solid watch, but not everyone will find it satisfying. Lots of people left during this screening, I mean for reference there's like a shot that goes on for a few good minutes where you're just staring at the face of a woman sleeping, so you get the idea.

I liked it, but I didn't love it, which I really wanted to. Good performances, great cinematography.
:cookiehand
- There is No Evil:
An "anthology", comprised of 4 separate stories. 1st one is incredible, 2nd one as well (although some things towards the end just didn't sit right with me), but the last 2 just didn't do it for me. The film is about the death penalty and the ones that carry it/are opposed to it.
First 2 segments are worth watching, but the last 2, I don't know, felt like they were reaching a little too hard to tell a slightly different story.
:cookiehand
- Run:
I don't get the "love" for this movie and how it managed to land in so many "best horror" of the year lists. It was just average at best, nothing about the story/twists and turns was surprising. It felt like something I'd seen a million times before, and the ending felt kinda "edgy" and nonsensical to an extent.
:cookiehand
- His House:
The concept was nice and I can appreciate horror stuff when it comes foreign cultures, you always learn something new, but I didn't find it to have anything memorable.
:cookiehand
- She Dies Tomorrow:
I really liked the premise, but this was another waste of time. I don't mind slow, weird/awkward movies, but this felt more like something about relationship break-ups disguised as a horror(?) movie.

Like, at the end of the day, I get it, it's one of those films where it's not about "what it appears to be about" (in this case, people start infecting each other with the notion that they're going to die tomorrow, and it spreads among the characters) and it's just using that as a vehicle to tell the "real" story, but there just wasn't enough content, at least not for me. Wish I'd seen something else.
:cookiestare
- I'm Thinking of Ending Things:
This is a weird one to talk about, whether you've seen it or not.
Best way to put it for me, is as such: once you're done with the film and look up stuff on it (if you need) and you figure out the whole story/what was really going on, in my opinion, it's not that interesting. The "story", wasn't that interesting.

However, what "makes" this film, is the editing/directing, how everything is put together. The editing in particular, it's what makes the film, and coincidentally, it's also this particular "editing" that tells the story.

Confusing? I know, yeah, but that's all I can/want to say, no need to spoil stuff.
Basically, for me at least, it was worth waching solely to witness how it was put together, from a crafting perspective. But as for the actual story/plot itself? It's just eh.
:cookiearf
- The Call:
You've probably seen this new Korean thriller being talked about recently.
You know, I was enjoying myself, and I could "ignore" some plot-hole-y stuff throughout the film, but the ending absolutely shocked me in just how non-sensical, unexpected and pointless it was.

Kind of ruined the movie for me, I'll be honest. It was such a random ending that interrupts the credits as soon as they begin. I absolutely don't understand how someone decided that it was a good idea. Absolute nonsense, I was baffled by it.
:cookiestare
- The Devil All The Time:
Nothing special to say about it. Not bad, not great. Seeing it and not seeing it would've been the same, I feel like.
:cookiehand
- Babyteeth:
Good indie drama, good and dare I say real, human performances. Not one of my favorites of the year, but worth the watch, would recommend this one.
:cookiehand
- The Hater:
From the director of Corpus Christi (seen earlier this year, one of my favorites of 2020). It's a good film, but not as great as Corpus Christi. The theme also prevented me from getting some kind of connection with the main character. Like, the film is cool and all, kinda predictable but solid performances, but Corpus Christi wins against it 10-0, easy.
:cookiehand
- Sputnik:
Had somewhat positive expectations for this one, but turned out to be a waste of time. Set-up was cool, but the movie and characters went absolutely nowhere. Sad.
:cookiestare
- A Dirty Carnival:
Had this one on my list for ages as well. Korean gangster-shiet. I liked it. Good, not great.
:cookiehand
- Maborosi:
Not one of my favorites, but lots of scenes stuck with me. This is Hirokazu Kore-eda (Shoplifters) debut film if I'm not mistaken, really worth the watch in my opinion.
:cookiehand
- Sound of Metal (RECOMMEND):
One of my favorites of the year, easily.
Going into it, I thought it was going to be a lot grittier and grimy, but it wasn't.
I wasn't expecting the story to go a certain way, but I'm glad it did. Really solid movie with amazing performances.
I would also recommend watching this one with headphones, it really got to me. If you look up the plot, you'll understand why, I think they really did a good job with the sound.
:cookiehand
- Black Bear:
The embodiment of "meh, I guess that was a film?"
:cookiestare
- After Life:
Interesting concept, good watch, but I feel like towards the end of the film it just went down a way too familiar route. Still glad I finally saw it.
:cookiehand
- A Bittersweet Life:
Pretty much the same thing I said above for "A Dirty Carnival".
:cookiehand
-Pulse (Kairo):
I liked it, glad I finally watched this one, but it wasn't spectacular or anything, although I really liked this "moody horror", if you can call it that.
:cookiearf
- The Painted Bird:
Had high hopes for this one, especially considering its nearly 3h runtime.
Extremely disappointed. Well shot I guess, but that's about it, sadly. Otherwise just not interesting at all for me.
Like the main characters just keeps going from place to place and people are always shitty to him in some way or another, and that's it.
It turns into a game of "oh, I wonder how badly he's going to be treated next", it almost becomes comical.
Very disappointing.
:cookiehand
- I'm a Cyborg But That's OK (RECOMMEND):
By the man behind the Vengeance Trilogy and The Handmaiden (which I still haven't seen), finally got around to see this one, and loved it.
So much detail gone into the characters and the directing, such a rich and rewarding film.
Probably not one of his best, but incredibly rich throughout in so many aspects. Would really like to re-watch this some day on the big screen.
:cookiehand
- To The Ends of the Earth:
Just ok. I understand the intention, putting the characters in a country where they feel displaced, I could really empathize with the lead actress and was afraid for her in some scenes, but that was about it. I think it does its job at conveying the message, but it wasn't particularly memorable, even thoguh I guess part of it working the way it does is due to its simplicity.
:cookiehand
- Moss:
Oh boy. Another one of those I've been trying to get my hands on for years, only to be left utterly disappointed by the end. The build-up is nice but so many character interactions don't make sense, and neither does the ending. Don't really feel like putting any more thought into it. Had really high hopes for this one, sad.
:cookiearf
- Archenemy:
Fucking terrible. Like, I "liked" the background for the main character, this guy who claims to be a superhero from another dimension, who "crashed" in ours, and is now a hobo who has lost his powers. But everything else in the film? The storyline they came up with where he ends up inserting himself in? Just cliché garbage from beginning to end, no interest at all, character motivations that flip-flop around every minute.

Waste of a good concept, "Daniel is Real" was so much better. Apparently the director intends to make a "trilogy" where the 3 films will be loosely connected... I don't know, I guess I'll watch the 3rd, but this one was yikes, huuuge miss.
:cookiearf
- The Blood of Wolves:
Watchable, extremely confusing and way too over the top for its own good.
:cookiestare
- Aguirre, The Wrath of God:
Yet another one I've wanted to see for a long time. Expected a lot more from it, but I can see why it's(?) a cult classic. Kinda wish there was more to it, but I'm glad with what I got.
:cookiearf
- Die Tomorrow + Heart Attack + Happy Old Year (RECOMMEND):
If some of you remember, earlier this year (June) I saw "Mary is Happy, Mary is Happy", and was blown away by it.
Finally I got around to seeing another 3 films by the same director, and I also really liked each and every one of them.

There's something really special about the way he films and tells his stories, and as I said before, I really like the snappy, quirky, funny dialogue, whether the situation is humorous, or serious.

Heart Attack for example, I had my doubts going into it because it was tagged as "Romance", but it's sooooo so different from what you'd usually envision as a romance film. One could even say there's barely any romance going on.

But yeah, something about this director just makes me fascinated. It all feels very grounded and genuine.
:cookiehand
- Bedevilled:
Strange and pretty much disappointing. Appreciate the "subversion", I guess, but I expected a lot more from it. Wish I'd seen something else.
:cookiearf
- Silenced:
This film was a very big oof, really hard to watch because of the story/themes, also based on IRL events. Made me sick to my stomach, and sad as well. Good performances, but kind of a bleak story :(.
:cookiestare
- Better Days:
I want to say "good, not great", but the truth is that this movie also got me in some moments, really moving in some aspects. It's uneven, but once the credits start rolling, I was like "okay, I can vibe with this, I get it", so yeah. I believe this was China's pick for Best Foreign Film submission.
:cookiearf
- Memories:
Japanese film, anthology with 3 segments. 1st one was great, 2nd was ok but predictable (sadly), 3rd was meh. Was good to watch some animation to add some variety though.
:cookiehand
- Another Round (RECOMMEND):
Glad I got to see it before the year was over, but I'll be honest; I put this one in my favorites of the year, but I could've easily not done so as well. It was good, enough to stand apart from so many others, but it wasn't spectacular.
Still definitely worth the watch for sure, Mads is amazing.
:cookiehand
- Failan (RECOMMEND):
I had this one ready to watch a few years ago, but sadly I ended up accidentally destroying my external disk, so yeah.
Anyway, really sad film. Loved the performances, and loved the titular character, Failan, as well, wish we had gotten more from her.
Really made me sad, like damn. Oof, I'm shaking my head as I type this just thinking about it.
:cookiestare
- Breathless (Korean film, 2008)(RECOMMEND):
Good drama, solid performances, but hard to watch at times due to some themes. Lots of violent interactions, but there were some scenes that really made me go "damn, this makes me feel stuff" and got em teary-eyed.
:cookiestare
- House (1977)(RECOMMEND):
Took me this long to finally watch one of the most talked-about weird Japanese movies ever, and I can definitely understand why now that I've seen it. The effects were incredible, so much is going on, but it's so interesting to see this type of creativity. It's really worth the watch.

:cookiearf
- Blue Spring (RECOMMEND):
Can't believe I finally got to see this one, and I found it on Youtube! Loved it, same director who made 9 Souls (one of my favorites of 2018) and this one didn't disappoint. Hope I can read the manga some day.
:cookiearf
- GO (2001):
An alright watch, had higher expectations for it.
:cookiehand
- Hanging Garden:
Same director of "Blue Spring". Weird, but ok, definitely not favorite material.
:cookiearf
- 13 Assassins:
An ok watch as well, nothing more to it.
:cookiestare
- Angel's Egg (RECOMMEND):
I'm sure you've all probably heard about and/or seen this one at some point, directed by the man who gave us Ghost in the Shell. I found the film on youtube (in great quality), and it's also very short (1h11mins). I think it's worth watching at least one time, or at least try to. Loved the visuals and how the "story" was told, even though it is all mostly left to interpretation/experimental.
:cookiehand
- Hanagatami (RECOMMEND):
Reason I decided to watch "House", is because I wanted to see it first before I saw this one, a nearly 3h film from the same director, much more recent (2017) that employs some similar techniques.
The movie flew by for me, but mind you, the acting feels very "theater-like" so it might not be the ideal thing for most people, but I had no problem with it.
There's also lots of dialogues and rapid back-and-forths, which again is what made me think of it being very "theater-like" (+ the fact that the film is divided into 3 acts) so you have to focus throughout most of the film, but for me it was a very gorgeous and rewarding experience.

:cookiearf

And finally, I decided to pick the massive, 3h37mins long Eureka (RECOMMEND) as my last film for 2020.
I'll start off with this; Kôji Yakusho, one of the leads, is quite possibly one of the best Japanese Actors of all time. I'm pretty sure at this point in his career he's already considered "legendary".

Coincidentally, he also appears in 3 others on this list, but I'm bringing this up just to say that it was great seeing him in a movie that's almost 4h long, it's always a pleasure seeing him (seriously, he's one of those rare cases that makes me want to see every film he's in), and in this case it was all the more great because I could see his character evolve for such a long period of time.

As for the story itself, the synopsis reads:
"The traumatized survivors of a murderous bus hijacking come together and take a road trip to attempt to overcome their damaged selves. Meanwhile a serial killer is on the loose."

Sounds very ominous, right? Especially with the people coming together + the "serial killer" angle that looms like a shadow on the horizon.
I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to risk spoiling stuff, but here's what I will say:

It didn't play out exactly like I had in mind. The description makes it sound ominous, and it kinda is to some extent, but not really.
I also assumed the main cast would be larger, but it isn't.

It's a shame, but at the same time, the story somewhat more focused on a set of characters.
However, one could say that it never quite really goes into too much depth.
Like, essentially, it's a film about people trying to deal with PTSD and reclaim back their "self" and find their place amongst the others.

I wish it went into more detail in some aspects, but at the same time, it was great because you see these characters dealing with PTSD, and the film doesn't need to spell things out for you.

You're seeing it for yourself, so even though I wanted more of certain things, like more of this and that, more behind certain actions, at the same time it fits the theme of the film.

People are damaged and just trying to make sense of their own lives, I guess it would be a way to put it.

Even though the film takes its time, I had ZERO issues with the pacing, the flow was perfect from beginning to end.
:cookiehand

So yeah, that's it from me this year.

If some of you are interested, in a subsequent post I can post my stats for the year, which I've done for the previous 2. If not, I understand, I just figured I'd ask this time around so as to not bore you even more, definitely wouldn't have included it in this post for sure, long enough as it is.

Still need to run some maths but yeah, let me know!

Happy holidays, happy new years, and hopefully 2021 brings us a lot of films, especially ones shelved from 2020!

:celebrate
I’m A Cyborg But That’s Okay is great, need to rewatch that one.

Glad to hear you liked Sound of Metal, Babyteeth and Druk/Another Round as those three are the ones I’m planning to see next! :verily
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I’m A Cyborg But That’s Okay is great, need to rewatch that one.

Glad to hear you liked Sound of Metal, Babyteeth and Druk/Another Round as those three are the ones I’m planning to see next! :verily

Oooh nice nice, starting out the year with some (hopefully) great movies!

I'm thinking of watching Minari and Nomadland as my first ones this year but I might wait for some better quality.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Oooh nice nice, starting out the year with some (hopefully) great movies!

I'm thinking of watching Minari and Nomadland as my first ones this year but I might wait for some better quality.
Yep those are high on my watchlist too but can't find them anywhere in proper quality do they'll have to wait. Besides the ones I mentioned I need to finally get on Tenet, Mank, The Trial of the Chicago 7 - and Onward, Soul, Wolfwalkers on the animated side... actually my 2020 watchlist is at like 60 titles so I've got some catching up to do. :XD Will have to try and pick and choose I guess.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,234
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Pixar's Soul is top tier.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Wonder Woman 1984 is 💩
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pixar's Soul is top tier.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Wonder Woman 1984 is 💩

Highly disappointed in "WW 1984" too. But, in March the Snydercut to Justice League is being released.
 
Last edited:

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
4,686
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki


I like that they used the ost from the movie Sunshine (2007) in WW84. ^

WW84 seemed targeted for ages 8-12. Kind of like the star wars prequels.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I haven't been watching many movies in the last year. On Christmas for some reason ended up putting Green Book on. Never occurred to me that has a Christmas film feel to it, it's so moving and warm at the end, on Christmas day.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Welp, saw the new wonder woman movie... Such a boring movie, definitely a letdown compared to the original. A lot of stuff that happened in the movie didn't really seem to serve any purpose and there was nowhere near enough action. Add to that, they dropped the WW theme song...
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
:hi

What I saw in January:


- Tokyo Sonata: feels like a regular drama in some aspects, but Kurosawa's style shines through here and there, also I was plesantly surprised towards the last act of the film. Don't want to say too much but it elevated the film for me, it surprised me.
:cookiehand
- Pieces of a Woman: articles about this film pretty much all said the same thing: "gut-wrenching, anxiety-inducing" first minutes, but there's little else to the film. Acting is ok, but there's just not that much interesting stuff going on, nothing you've never seen before.
:cookiehand
- The Eel: very meh, felt like an odd mix of genres and never quite settling down.
:cookiehand
- Belladonna of Sadness (RECOMMEND): very amazed by this one. It's very different from Angel's Egg, but I think it's just as important when it comes to anime movies. Definitely a must watch (also beware because it's heavily sexual in imagery, just fyi).
:cookiehand
- Dead Run (RECOMMEND): got around to seeing another film by SABU (will be seeing a couple more this month). I liked it! This one also surprised me. The way he tells his stories aren't exactly the most viewer-friendly, but at least for me it's interesting because I can never quite guess where the story will be going next. I believe it's an adaptation, people who have read the book say he didn't quite do it justice (needed to be longer), but I liked it. There's a lot of stuff going on in the movie, and it was also very pleasant look-wise.
:cookiehand
- Synchronic: cool idea/concept, absolutely horrendous execution. I was willing to give the duo a shot because this looked better and had slightly more star power behind it. I saw The Endless and it was an utter waste of time, and this ended up being no better. I really don't understand it. Either I'm missing something, or I don't know. It's like they don't know how to wrap up a film/give a satisfying experience to the viewers. Oof.
:cookiehand
- La Casa Lobo (The Wolf House): I found out about this one after seeing Super Eyepatch Wolf's video "Why You Should Watch Disturbing Horror Movies", I'm sure some of you must be familiar with his channel since he usually makes content on manga/anime. It's an animated feature, very short and kinda terrifying, but I think it's worth it just for the visuals and the ton of work put into it. And yeah it's only like 69mins long or something, excluding credits. I think there's stuff you need to read "outside" of the film to get an idea of what is going on, but you don't quite need it to appreciate it, I think.
:cookiehand
- Retribution: I decided to watch this one, another Kiyoshi Kurosawa film, on a whim, also mostly because it's horror and it's yet another film starring Koji Yakusho (this must be like the 3rd or 4th film I've seen with him from the same director). If you've seen Kairo/Pulse, and enjoy that kinda of moody, slow horror, then you should dig this one as well. I enjoyed it, but it's obviously not his best, and feels a lot similar to Pulse in some ways, almost like a re-hash. It's not, but there's some very cool things in it, as well as a somewhat perplexing ending. Again, it's not one of his best, but I like his approach to this type of horror, where it's mostly sad/heart-breaking as opposed to scary. Maybe I'm not wording it properly, but yeah.
:cookiehand
- Midnight in a Perfect World: I knew what I was getting into (somewhat), but I decided to give this one a chance. Despite the obvious amateur-ish/no-budget look, I thought it had something going for it, atmosphere-wise. Sadly, it didn't deliver on any front, an absolute waste of time. Not the worst film ever made, but it didn't give me anything at all.
:cookiehand

During this month, I also saw all of the films (features, in chronological order) by Edward Yang. If some of you usually browse film lists and such, I'm sure you might've seen this poster at some point:

That was his last film. But anyway, the films were (in order):
- That Day on the Beach
- Taipei Story
- The Terrorizers
- A Brighter Summer Day
- A Confucian Confusion
- Mahjong
- Yi-Yi


Here's what I can say about them without rambling too much: at heart, all of his films are about relationships (between family as well as lovers) and their ups and downs, most of the time over the span of several years.

If you were to look at the subject matter and themes explored in the films, I think it would be fair to say that it's mundane and very familiar, but the way he tells his stories through the characters and how he frames them, I guess that's what set his films apart.

I think it's a bit early for me to have some concrete feelings about them, after all I watched them all in the span of like 5 days, and we're talking about a total of 17 hours and a half of film in total, but it doesn't come as a surprise to me that A Brighter Summer Day and Yi-Yi feel like my favorites; 4 hours and 3 hours long, respectively.

A Brighter Summer Day feels more like an "epic" story since it's set some decades ago, and the cast of characters as well as the scope of the story is much, much bigger than anything else he has done. I understand why it's usually considered his masterpiece.

Yi-Yi is a much different film because it focuses on just one family, and I feel like it's his film where the drama and acting are much more powerful, there's way more emphasis on it, you can really get to some of those raw emotions.

Besides those 2 which are definitely "must see" material, I think Taipei Story is a good enough starting point for those who have never seen anything by him. There's nothing wrong with his first film (also almost 3h long), but that's just how I feel about it, as an introduction, I'd pick his 2nd feature.

The Terrorizers wasn't what I expected, unfortunately. Based on the description of the film, it seemed that this one would be a bit "weirder" and more out there than the rest, and while there were "weirder" elements, unfortunately it wasn't quite enough to satisfy me.

Coincidentally, A Confucian Confusion and Mahjong, the only 2 films where I was stuck with some very poor copies, are the only 2 that aren't worth seeing at all in my opinion. Well, the first one maybe, but the 2nd one is definitely skippable.

The cinematography is also really good across all of his films, which is also what caught my eye when I first became interested in checking out his stuff, I'll leave some screenshots below :)



 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
:hi
Dropping by to hit you with what I saw this month, 27 films, I'm happy that I seem to be doing good this year so far, hopefully I can keep the pace going and get a good "early start":

- the remaining 4 films I had left to watch from Carlos Reygadas (Post Tenebras Lux, the first of his I saw, actually surprised me last year): Japón, Battle in Heaven, Silent Light, Our Time.
I think each one of these has some kind of appeal, although I'd rank Battle in Heaven at the very bottom. Reygadas usually uses non-actors and I think that, sometimes, it actually provides the viewer with a different experience. Most of his films aren't so much about story and plot progression, but rather the characters and their relations.
I found Japón to be somewhat similar to Western (2017) here and there, essentially a man goes to a very remote location and he's almost like a fish out of water there. He wants to do his own thing but despite his best efforts he gets entangled with some of the stuff going down there.
Silent Light might possibly be his most visually striking film, but again, the substance of all these films aren't exactly something new, but what keeps them interesting still is his approach to directing as well as using regular folk.
Our Time, his most recent, is 3 hours long. In the film, the lead characters, a couple, are the real-life director and his wife, so as you can imagine, there's a lot of meta stuff going on. I think it was good but the themes felt a bit restricting, I thought it would go a lot farther. I think it's still good but after having seen all his films, I'd probably rank Post Tenebras Lux as my favorite of his.
:cookiehand

- The Wanting Mare: found out about this one shortly before it came out; there was a lot of talk surrounding it, how the trailer presented a "weird but can't be missed" film, etc., I decided to not watch the trailer and just jump into it. Sadly, it was a waste of time. You can tell that there's interest and passion behind the project, but this was shot, I believe, on a micro-budget; conceptually/on paper it sounds nice, but it's almost like you had this Lord of The Rings level of lore (I'm exaggerating a bit but just to give you n example) but had like, 100k to make your film. You say and tease and lot of things, but at the end of the day you gave the viewers not much of anything, overall just too ambitious and ambiguous for its own good.
:cookiestare

- Space Sweepers: not a perfect film, but extremely, surprisingly enjoyable, a perfect friday flick to just sit back, relax and enjoy. There's couple of things I really didn't like; this is a Korean film that features dialogue in English and a few other languages; the dubbed-over English (for AMERICAN/ENGLISH actors who know how to speak the language) is H O R R E N D O U S and just cringy all around. It doesn't sound natural, it sounds like something put through google translate, it's so, so bad. The other thing I didn't like, is that the villain felt like he belonged on an entirely different film, really out of place. Nonetheless, it's worth the watch. Might not be the most original, but it's enjoyable.
Also also, the special effects are incredible, you have to see them for yourself, and the budget was a fraction of something like Avengers, but what is achieved is nothing short of mindblowing.
:cookiehand

- another 2 films by Sabu: Non-Stop, and Monday.
First one is kinda weird: basically the entire film is 3 guys running after each other for pretty much the entire film. Weird. Like they keep running for a whole day.
Monday was more interesting and also weird and strange. Don't really have much to say beyond that.
:cookiearf

- The Eight Hundred: WWII flick based on real events. It was alright, it has its emotional moments, but at times it felt a bit too one-note-y. Unfortunately it also suffers from the same English dubbing problem as Space Sweepers. Not bad, not good, just ok.
:cookiearf

- Dear Comrades!: also based on real events. I liked this one better than "Paradise" (same director), more focused.
:cookiearf

- The Ballada of Narayama (1983): had this on my watchlist for the longest time. It was good, but I certainly didn't expect it to be so violent and in a few scenes, really took me by surprise.
:cookiestare

- Willy's Wonderland: I kinda knew what I was getting into (how could you not), but I just wanted some moderate fun. Nope. This film is straight up trash, the story/character actions make absolulety no sense. They should've just gone for a "B-movie"/silly 80's movie angle, but no, this whole thing just reeks of laziness from beginning to end. Ridiculous and underwhelming from start to finish, this doesn't even cut it as a "so bad it's good, let's watch it just to laugh at it", just pick something else, please.
:cookiestare

- 3 films by Hirokazu Kore-eda (intend on watching a few more I'm missing): Still Walking, Like Father, Like Son, Our Little Sister.
Still Walking is a very simple film: basically, it's about relatives visiting other relatives, and the day/night they spend there and talk about the past and present. It's touching but also gut-wrenching in some moments, hurts you when you least expect it.
Like Father, Like Son does it in a similar way but approaches a different subject (babies were switched at birth, the "poor" baby ends up with the rich family, and vice-versa, and both parents must decide whether they want to switch or no after like 5-6 years of having them). Has its good moments as well.
Our Little Sister; really liked this one, very wholesome (3 sisters "adopt" their younger half-sister).
:cookiehand

- Running out of Time (1999): nothing special, by now (2021) it just feels like something you've already seen way too many times. Had this one on my list for who knows what reason, was around 90mins so I just went for the quick watch.
:cookiearf

- 3 (remaining) anime films by Satoshi Kon: Millennium Actress, Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers.
What is there to say beyond the obvious, really? Satoshi Kon left us way too soon.
Millennium Actress was the most "eh" for me, but it's still a joy to see the animation/directing regardless.
Paprika was very good, and Tokyo Godfathers was also unexpectedly very wholesome as well.
:cookiehand

- Fireworks (1997): decided to watch one of many Kitano directed/starring films I want to watch. This one was... interesting, I guess. Does a few things here and there to break the mold of the usual, traditional way that these films go, and I appreciated that. It made something as harmless as starring at the beach and the sea in the distance extremely uneasy for me.
:cookiearf

- Before We Vanish: an alright watch but I think it could've been better. I understand its IMDb rating, but hey it's another Kiyoshi Kurosawa films checked off the list.
:cookiehand

- The Happiness of the Katakuris: it. was. so. weird. From Takashi Miike so "no duh", but I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. Now I really need to see the Korean version. Some scenes were so unexpeted that I couldn't help but grin, like the family finding a dead body and immediately breaking into one of several musical numbers. So odd but lovely in a way.
:cookiearf

- Naked Lunch: one of those films I'd seen a couple of scenes before numerous times. I thought I hd an "idea" of what the movie was about, but not really. It's a weird one, still have to look more into it to understand what was going on, but I'm glad I finally watched it, put this one of for years.
:cookiearf

- Princess Mononoke: yep, if you can believe it, I'd never seen this one (only a scene or two). I was going to watch Nausicaa first (because it came out first) but the copy I got was messed up. Overall, I liked it; the animation, directing, "framing", and the OST as well, it's incredible from start to finish. The way the story wraps up however, felt a little abrupt for me.
I think this might've been my first Studio Ghibli film, which I know sounds ridiculous. It's just that most of them don't reallyyy appeal to me, but I'll look into it. I definitely want to watch Nausicaa, and I may as well watch Spirited Away.
:cookiehand

Left the best of the bunch for the end:

- Departures (RECOMMEND): very touching film, very human. It's not 100% serious from start to finish, there is room for some levity, but yeah, watch it if you haven't already. I was ready to watch this one years ago right before I accidentally killed my external hard drive. I finally got around to see it, and I can see why it won Best Foreign Film.

- The Banishment (RECOMMEND): finally, the only missing Zvyagintsev film I had left to watch, finally found a way to see it. I think it stumbles a little at the very end, but I think it's my second favorite of his right after The Return. It's a heavy drama somewhat, the kind that Russians know how to do (best).

- Classmates Minus (RECOMMEND): oh you guys... this one. The day I found out about this film's existence I knew I was going to watch it later on the same day, how could I not? It's the new film by the director of The Great Buddha+ (a favorite of mine from 2018). It's weird because I know for a fact I would periodically check his IMDb to see that nothing new was on there/upcoming, so to randomly check to see what this film was about and to realize it was from the same director, wow.

I have to say though: this is something you want to watch ONLY if you've seen The Great Buddha+ first and enjoyed it. Trust me, you'd be doing yourself an extreme disservice otherwise. Just like you (kinda) need to watch Unbreakable before Split. Classmates Minus isn't a "sequel" or anything like that, but the film opens immediately with a call back to the director's 1st feature, and as soon as it did that (and HOW it did it) brought a huge smile to my face, feels really different and original, and I can't wait to see more from him.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire

The Oscar nominations are announced in five minutes. I predict that it's gonna go all according mainstream predictions, and Nomadland hauls the most noms.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,234
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
MH Oscar Prediction time. :allthe

Time to marathon the nominees. Of all the Best Picture nominees, I've only seen Minari.

Soul didn't get nominated as Best Picture :disappoint
 
Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yup, the traditional award poll is coming! I'm just making the promotional designs.

Honestly, I've seen practically non of the key nominees. Due to global pandemia, I only went to the theaters once last year. (Saw Tove)

I personally didn't really warm-up to Soul. Onward was imho a better film.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The Oscars Contest 2021 is up and running!
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Besides Sound of Metal which I've already seen last year, I think I'll just watch Minari and Nomadland as well from the top nominees, maybe Promising Young Woman as well although I'm on the fence about it.

That would make it 4/8 Nominees, I'm fine with that. The others just don't appeal to me, but we're still a month away so who knows.

I'm happy with some of the acting nominations (Riz Ahmed, Steven Yeun), but honestly overall it doesn't feel too interesting for me.
I know, pandemic and all, but still. Feel like there could've been a lot more thrown in there.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I have watched almost no films at all the past year. I guess I'm just the person who misses the theater experience too much. I think I'll try to catch some nominees though before the gala. My priority tier 1 is Sound of Metal and Nomadland, tier 2 is Minari and Promising Young Woman, and tier 3 is Judas and the Black Messiah, Mank and the Trial of the Chicago 7. Though I also wanna check Wolfwalkers, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

I think I've grown out of Finchers and Sorkins style of films a little the past few years, so I'm not particularly interested, even if they used to be my favorite filmmakers for long time.

Of the films I have seen, I didn't really like Soul that much at all. It was just okay for me. I expected more. I'd much rather see Onward, a film I absolutely adored, winning the best animation award.

Biggest surprises for me were that there is only one general Sound category, and the fact that Another Round got nominated for directing, but not for Mikkelsens lead role.

Nice to see Steven Yeun isn't any more just Glenn from Walking Dead, but Steven Yeun. I knew it when I saw him first time in the Walking Dead, that this guy is gonna make it big.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, I don't like Borat. I know it's smart satire where joke isn't the ridiculous racist stereotype, but how people believe in the silly stereotypes, but still it irks me for some reason.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Zack Snyder's Justice League - 9 / 10 :hi


I decided to do a marathon of sorts by watching both "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition" in proceeding with this new SnyderCut version of 2017's Justice League. Overall, I was surprised and amazed by the amount of character spotlight given to each of the characters, the visuals were done well, considering the limited time given to Snyder and the staff, which I believe they only had less than a year to do.

Snyder has definitely created a DC trilogy of his own with his film styling that gives DC it's own flavor different from what Feige and many directors have done with the MCU. The changes made from the 2017 film were unexpected and made the film completely different and better too. Yes, it is four hours long, but it never gets dull, boring or loses interest in keeping your attention and up to the very end of the film, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger with what it's pushing for.

I do hope, WB and DC take note on this, since the fans pushed very hard for this film to get made and they succeeded. If this is end for the DCEU, it was a grand finale. Highly recommend it, if these are the type of films you like, it's a great watch. :super
 

Olive00

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 5, 2021
Messages
15
Reaction score
9
Age
29
Country
Ukraine
Recently I watched the movie Avengers: Endgame. After watching Infinity War, I was looking forward to the release of the Endgame. The film is filled with funny moments, irony in relation to oneself. And I just love it. In general, the creators of the Final do not let us relax, they prepare us for the denouement. So inevitable, so logical and at the same moment so terrible! Two and a half hours in front of us is just an unrealistically cool and positive picture, and then thirty minutes of pain and fear. A film with a logical but unpleasant ending.
 

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 8, 2016
Messages
3,109
Reaction score
12,873
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
Joker
Im about to watch The Yinyang Master. I saw the trailer, It was good, Some human flying shit going on but i think it would be good.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

trash movie :( cool graphics tho
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Clockwork girl, Amazing concept but really bad animation.

I kinda like it 7/10
 
Top