Movies - The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1 | Page 101 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Watched the Echo MCU series.

More than half of the dialogue is sign language with no subtitle translation.

:Haha

I enjoyed.

But most could need subtitle files to translate the sign language exchanges for it to be worth it.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
In an already fantastic year for movies (2023), I think Monster is the stand-out for me. Absolutely gutting, raw, human and just had me feeling more than anything in a long time. And that's in a year where I already felt similarly about other films like Anatomy of a Fall and Past Lives.

The two big films I have yet to see I think are Oppenheimer (I know, I know... I just need to find 3 hours in the right mindset) and Poor Things.

Anyway, here are my ratings for the ones I've seen and my want-to-watch list roughly in order of priority, please feel free to recommend others you feel I might have missed:

Monster - 10/10
Past Lives - 9/10
Anatomy of a Fall - 9/10
Killers of the Flower Moon - 8/10
The Holdovers - 8/10
Fallen Leaves - 8/10
The Boy and the Heron - 8/10
Across the Spider-Verse - 8/10
Suzume - 8/10
Asteroid City - 8/10
Theater Camp - 8/10
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret. - 8/10
Barbie - 7,5/10
Scream VI - 7/10
The Super Mario Bros. Movie - 6,5/10
Elemental - 6/10

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - 8/10

Plan-to-watch
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Perfect Days
The Zone of Interest
Society of the Snow
TMNT: Mutant Mayhem
Robot Dreams
The Color Purple
The Iron Claw
American Fiction
All of Us Strangers
Saltburn
They Cloned Tyrone
Bottoms
Holy Spider
Nimona
Beau is Afraid
Scrapper
John Wick: Chapter 4
The Creator
The Little Mermaid
Wonka
Dune: Part Two
Next Goal Wins
Napoleon

Already so many I thoroughly enjoyed, great year for film.

Last edited:

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Academy Award nominees are out.

Oscars prediction contest again this year? @Riku

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I.S.S.

Was compelled to see it from the trailers and it largely delivered what it managed to sell in the trailers..but unfortunately didn't ever go much more than that. Overall was a nice escape for an hour and a half and I was invested emotionally in the characters. Kind of wish it did take off or have a bit more. Still liked how it ended. Makes you think.

And overall

Wish we at least had a glimpse of what was going on on the ground. Hard to visualize what the ground level view of the entire continent with explosions going off that could be seen from space.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't been to as many movies in the past year as I would have liked but the big one that I want to see is Godzilla Minus One. I've heard nothing but good things.

For some reason I watched Rebel Moon, probably because it was there and I had time, even though I'm really not a Zack Snyder fan. To put it mildly. And it was... what you'd expect. Lot of style. And by that I mean an unnecessary amount of slow motion. Lots of body butter. Use of color filters that borders on obnoxious. With a sort of questionable story and one dimensional characters.

Would probably be better for somebody that actually likes his movies. Which is absolutely not me.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Godzilla Minus One didn't quite live up to the hype for me personally, but my expectations were sky high. That said, it is still probably the best movie in the franchise since the original, and the first one in which I actually cared about the human characters.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just really liked they idea of the approach I heard they took with it. As sort of a post war thing with less of a reliance of CGI set piece stuff.

Not sure if it will live up to my expectations either. But it's definitely the movie I'm most interested in seeing that's out there now.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm butthurt that Fallen Leafs got snubbed.

So... mayyybe.

Yes.
Me too! Watched it a few days ago and loved it, might be top 3 Kaurismäki for me.

Though I haven't seen most of the other films in International category so can't say whether it was unjustly snubbed yet.. but still.

Gonna see Perfect Days in theater today hopefully (the ticket system is down so will have to hope there are seats left).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I know the big Oscar-snub related headlines are all about Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie... but if I'm to be upset at anything, it's at the fact that Celine Song and Greta Lee were snubbed in those categories. Teo Yoo in Supporting Actor as well, for that matter. The way those two actors made me feel so much through the smallest means, the tiniest acting choices... man, Past Lives was just soooo good.

At least Celine got the nod in Screenplay.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
For positives though I'm so glad that Nimona ja Robot Dreams got nominated over Wish (and Chicken Run). I feel that in the animation category the flagship Disney of the year gets often so much undeserved votes just because Disney, marketing and "my kids liked it".

And knowing how mistreated Nimona and its crew were by the big studios and their execs, it feels so good that this delightful transmetaphora gets recognition.

Last edited:

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
Nimona ja Robot Dreams
You went native there.

(Also right about the rest of the post)

I have yet to see The Boy and The Heron. But Spidey takes my vote so far.

I know the big Oscar-snub related headlines are all about Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie...
That's all I saw this morning, but I personally wouldn't call those snubs. Gosling's nomination was definitely a surprise though.
Thought this movie purely would get a costume/set nomination and that would be it.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
You went native there.

(Also right about the rest of the post)

I have yet to see The Boy and The Heron. But Spidey takes my vote so far.

That's all I saw this morning, but I personally wouldn't call those snubs. Gosling's nomination was definitely a surprise though.
Thought this movie purely would get a costume/set nomination and that would be it.
Maybe I'll just give up and make the Oscar poll just fully in Finnish.

I think Boy and the Heron is the best one, but Spiderverse also deserves it. My biggest gripe with it was that it was just half of a story.

Boy and the Heron though... I can get that it isn't the greatest Ghibli creation, but the more you know of Miyazaki, the more you understand how personal the script is to him, and that makes it for me.

I rank both 5-/5. Both just tickle my personal preferences perfectly, but from completely different places.

I kinda think Gerwig could have deserved the direction nod just for balancing the tightrope of actually having social commentary and getting a stamp of approval from Mattel. But Robbie and the film general wasn't really that impressive. Good, just not that good.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The Boy and the Heron was only the third Miyazaki I saw in theaters (previous ones being Spirited Away and The Wind Rises) and I found myself less amazed at it than those two... but it's one of those that's really grown on me once I've let it settle. I still have some issues with the pacing of the story but it's my favorite animated film of last year, for sure. Spider-Verse was also really great (might have actually enjoyed it more in the theater than The Boy and the Heron) but it just didn't really stay with me much... probably for the same reason @Riku said, that its story isn't concluded yet so it hasn't really "finished resonating".

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Talking about snubs though. Daniel Pemberton for Spiderverse. Holy shite the OST was gooood.

Oh and of course Hisaishi would have deserved it too.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Dial of Destiny getting a nomination was definitely not on my prediction card. But I haven't seen the film (or most of the ones in this category) so can't say whether it deserved it over Hisaishi or Pemberton.

Though, you know me I love Hisaishi... but this OST was nowhere near a top tier for him. It was good and did its job well enough, but nothing spectacular to me. I can't say it's a "snub" I'm super upset about (though with the film nominated elsewhere, I wouldn't have been mad at him getting a career nomination and even win... now that i think about it...)

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I love Past Lives.

But do we even have 'past lives?'

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Anyway, here are my ratings for the ones I've seen and my want-to-watch list roughly in order of priority, please feel free to recommend others you feel I might have missed:

Monster - 10/10
Past Lives - 9/10
Anatomy of a Fall - 9/10
Killers of the Flower Moon - 8/10
The Holdovers - 8/10
Fallen Leaves - 8/10
The Boy and the Heron - 8/10
Across the Spider-Verse - 8/10
Suzume - 8/10
Asteroid City - 8/10
Theater Camp - 8/10
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret. - 8/10
Barbie - 7,5/10
Scream VI - 7/10
The Super Mario Bros. Movie - 6,5/10
Elemental - 6/10

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - 8/10

Plan-to-watch
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Perfect Days
The Zone of Interest
Society of the Snow
TMNT: Mutant Mayhem
Robot Dreams
The Color Purple
The Iron Claw
American Fiction
All of Us Strangers
Saltburn
They Cloned Tyrone
Bottoms
Holy Spider
Nimona
Beau is Afraid
Scrapper
John Wick: Chapter 4
The Creator
The Little Mermaid
Wonka
Dune: Part Two
Next Goal Wins
Napoleon

Already so many I thoroughly enjoyed, great year for film.
My favorites from last year:

Godland
Pacifiction
Fast & Feel Love
Poor Things
Riddle of Fire
Perfect Days
Riceboy Sleeps
Saltburn
Inside The Yellow Cocoon Shell

I hope Poor Things sweeps but Best Picture feels like it will be a strange and unpredictable race this year.

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
My favorites from last year:

Godland
Pacifiction
Fast & Feel Love
Poor Things
Riddle of Fire
Perfect Days
Riceboy Sleeps
Saltburn
Inside The Yellow Cocoon Shell

I hope Poor Things sweeps but Best Picture feels like it will be a strange and unpredictable race this year.
NO PAST LIVES????????????????????????? U SIR R KREIZI!!!