Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I only liked the novelty of the movies, but not the movies as a whole. I found them too cheesy for my taste. The new one is a lot more gritty and almost assures us more violence/carnage than all the old movies combined. Only one thing concerns me though. As far as the trailer goes, it's given scientific explanations to the powers the characters posess. MK has always had a mystical aspect to it, and I don't know how they will incorporate that with the current look of things.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Kusachu, i agree about Sandra. It wasn't enough to win an Oscar.
 

kaliayev

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
951
Reaction score
89
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Seems like Dark City mated with Vanilla Sky and had a bastard child. Could be good or bad but LOOKS cool. :D

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/inception/36931/video/inception-trailer-no-1/35617890001
That's a gross simplification, especially since Vanilla Sky already was a bastard child (Abre los ojos). Inception is pretty much the only movie I am willing to pay to see in a theater this summer. Nolan, DiCaprio, and Gordon-Levitt are enough guarantee a quality movie. On top of that, the supporting cast is quite solid.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Well, the fact that it's written and directed by Christopher Nolan was enough for me. Then the fact that DiCaprio, who in later years hasn't been in a movie that wasn't brilliant (haven't seen Body of Lies, though), Gordon-Levitt and Cotillard are in it doesn't really lower my expectations either.

Been trying to keep away from the trailers. Saw the teaser when it came out and it seems Nolan-y enough. :tem
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
The A-Team was AWESOME! It's so awesome that I'm not even going to give it a rating, I'm just going to say "I pity the fool who doesn't like the A-Team movie!"!
 

redcometfm

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
712
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
The worst thing about the new MK video is that it turns every evil character into a villain from Saw and is far too realistic for something as supernatural and stylistic as Mortal Kombat. (Turning Scorpion's signature move into a cliche Ninja mechanical gear was horrid.) Not to mention the supposed protagonist of Scorpion is not exactly an exciting, sympathetic or engaging character to be of interest for an entire two hours. Maybe the other Sub-Zero brother since he was a good guy.

However, I do like the new approach to Jax and Sonya and the general concept of them arranging for someone notable to infiltrate the tournament.

Days like these that I miss 90s cinema.

Am TOTALLY looking forward to Inception. Saw a sneak peak of footage from an interview with Nolan, DiCaprio and Gordon-Levitt, and I totally JIMP'ed. So psyched!
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Well it is a retcon. Movie executives have to make a choice between pleasing the fans and making money, and the latter is always the option they go with. I myself am not a big fan of retcon movies, but you've got to hand it to a producer/writer/director if they manage to take an old formula and create something similar, yet currently relative. I'm just going to have to do what I did for the Prince of Persia movie; set myself up for disappointment in order to magnify the good that comes out.
 

sindergi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
684
Reaction score
151
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Oh a movie from my childhood is back :
Karate Kid

......but now they should name it KungFu Kid....since this no Karate, its Kungfu.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Oh a movie from my childhood is back :
Karate Kid

......but now they should name it KungFu Kid....since this no Karate, its Kungfu.
I heard it's doing very well in the states; it kicked Shrek off the no.1 place. I'm just waiting for Inception to come out, trailer looks really good!
 

Kusachu

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
1,775
Gender
Female
Country
United States
That's a gross simplification, especially since Vanilla Sky already was a bastard child (Abre los ojos). Inception is pretty much the only movie I am willing to pay to see in a theater this summer. Nolan, DiCaprio, and Gordon-Levitt are enough guarantee a quality movie. On top of that, the supporting cast is quite solid.
Well, the thing about Vanilla Sky with me is this: I thought it was a really good movie, and I even went out and bought it, but I only actually watched like once or twice all the way through. Now, I may just think the movie was awesome because I was really stoned, but that doesn't change that the movie has that certain something that gets into you and makes your head go a little funny while watching it. I feel the same way about Dark City except I have seen that movie many times. It's the same element that is what tends to make me really get into a movies like Cube, Pi, Seven, Jacob's Ladder, Waking Life, even Kurosawa's Dreams, and yes, the original Matrix. I tend to prefer the more intense and disturbing movies. It's that deep, dark psychological thrill I'm hoping for in Inception, but I wonder, which end of the spectrum it will fall on? Will it be the kind of movie that is enthralling, yet almost difficult to watch, or will it play out in a figuratively more easy to swallow way?

I'm sold on DiCaprio nowadays. He's proven to be a real go to guy for intelligent, mature, classy movies.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
That new MK bullshit is...well bullshit...I don't really wanna see that...

But this Last Airbender stuff looks good...I mean the effects are decent, except the fighting scenes(what's up with those soldiers not landing a serious blow:s)
What's a good movie though is Ip Man 2...anyone seen it?
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Saw A-Team today. Only two words need to be said to fully describe the movie. AWESOME EPICNESS!!!

I was seriously not expecting it to be this epic. I came into the cinema with a set of mind sort of like this "Yeah the trailer looked awesome, it's probably a pretty good and entertaining movie that suits my humour well", but my oh my would I later change this to "OH MEINE GOT (A-Team reference) this movie rocks hard ass! Awesome! AWESOME!!"

Well forgive me for my absolutely ridiculous fanboy moment, but only 30 minutes have passed since I saw it and I can still feel the rush of the adventure. The plot wasn't the most complicated one, but what would one expect from such an action filled plot anyway? The purpose of the movie was to illustrate a crazy comedy and action filled adventure for absolutely crazy minds, and that's exactly what the movie did. The effects were awesome, planning was awesome, acting was awesome, music was epic, comedy was epic, action was epic and most of all a flying tank can't be anything less than pure epic win.

Five stars, hands down.
 

Kusachu

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
1,775
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Saw A-Team today. Only two words need to be said to fully describe the movie. AWESOME EPICNESS!!!

I was seriously not expecting it to be this epic. I came into the cinema with a set of mind sort of like this "Yeah the trailer looked awesome, it's probably a pretty good and entertaining movie that suits my humour well", but my oh my would I later change this to "OH MEINE GOT (A-Team reference) this movie rocks hard ass! Awesome! AWESOME!!"

Well forgive me for my absolutely ridiculous fanboy moment, but only 30 minutes have passed since I saw it and I can still feel the rush of the adventure. The plot wasn't the most complicated one, but what would one expect from such an action filled plot anyway? The purpose of the movie was to illustrate a crazy comedy and action filled adventure for absolutely crazy minds, and that's exactly what the movie did. The effects were awesome, planning was awesome, acting was awesome, music was epic, comedy was epic, action was epic and most of all a flying tank can't be anything less than pure epic win.

Five stars, hands down.

I will definitely see it then. :D

I have no more reservations. :XD


That new MK bullshit is...well bullshit...I don't really wanna see that...

But this Last Airbender stuff looks good...I mean the effects are decent, except the fighting scenes(what's up with those soldiers not landing a serious blow:s)
What's a good movie though is Ip Man 2...anyone seen it?
I seen it. I thought it was good and I enjoyed it, but I thought it failed to reach the level of win in the first movie. :amuse

The Last Airbender...I'm boycotting that film. :notrust
 
Last edited:

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I would see the up coming MK movie, but I wouldn't even give the new M. Night ShamaLOL movie a second glance (he hasn't made anything good since The 6th Sense anyway).

I hated the new Karate Kid movie... It perpetuates the stereotype that all of us Asians are alike, and I for one will not stand for such a travesty. I'm very proud to have both Chinese and Filipino lineage, and I do what I can to uphold the traditions of both cultures. Having some dumb Hollywood exec call Kung Fu anything else but Kung Fu is a major slap towards Chinese culture. I'd react the same exact way if they marketed Kali/Arnis with a different name just to make it more palatable for western viewers. If they can't do it right, they might as well not do anything at all.

I bet the next Karate Kid movie will have a Mexican kid learning Tae Kwon Do, and it would STILL be called Karate Kid; that's just how ignorant Hollywood is.
 
Last edited:

Kusachu

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
1,775
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Paperman, since you are Chinese (at least in part) I wonder, how do you feel about the whitewashing issue in The Last Airbender, especially since the makers of the animated show took great pains to root the show in Asian, and most specifically, Chinese culture, and yet the movie, while possibly maintaining the cultural "look" as far as architecture, martial arts etc. goes, completely disregards the ethnic backgrounds of the characters?

I don't want to get into a huge debate or anything, I'm just curious if you also find the casting choices offensive.

But on a lighter note, about the Karate Kid:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c8ad4aa802/wax-on-f-ck-off-with-ralph-macchio

That's all I have to say about that. :XD
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I'm boycotting it, need I say more? :lmao

I'm very unhappy about the fact that all the protagonists are portrayed by Caucasians, and the only Asians involved in the film portray antagonists. The debate regarding this topic has been around even before the cast was finalized, yet they still went ahead with the god-awful cast.


re:Karate Kid- I was very disappointed by two things:

1. The Joe Esposito song "You're the best around" did not play at any point in the movie.
2. The line "Sweep the leg" was not mentioned in any form... no, "break the leg" does not count, breaking is different from sweeping.
 

Arrogance

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
5,080
Reaction score
2,366
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey, everyone. I haven't posted here in a while :darn

Anywho I just saw The A-team today and I gotta say it was both awesome and hysterical. It had great action. At times it was over the top but the parts that ended up being over the top weren't corny but instead funny. The whole movie I was either on the edge of my seat or being blown back by action while also falling out of my chair with laughter. Its a must see in my book. :thumbs

Now next on my list is to see Toy Story 3 later this week and then The Last Airbender when that comes out in July :).
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
What's a good movie though is Ip Man 2...anyone seen it?
Yes, I liked Ip Man 2. The fights - not the one against the boxer - were sadly sometimes too hollywood. But the end fight was definitely very good and emotional
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
The good thing about Ip Man 2 was the end fight. Other than that, the movie was ok.

Hopefully, will watch How to Train Your Dragon today or tomorrow.
 

Arrogance

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
5,080
Reaction score
2,366
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just got back from seeing Toy Story 3 in 3D tonight and I was so sad when it ended. I haven't been this sad since the end of Yugioh when Yammi walks into the abyss :scry. Once I left the theater it hit me that it was the final movie of the trilogy and that I would no longer see another Toy Story movie ever again. The ending was sad but beautiful and the movie was once again another Pixar masterpiece that everyone should see.

One thing I did notice was that this out of all the movies was the most geared towards adults. My little cousin who is 5 and just got into Toy Story was actually disappointed by the movie and afterwards I could see why because he wasn't able to pick up on everything. I think Pixar this time around took into consideration the amount of older people that would be seeing this movie because they started watching it when they were little and knew they would be attending to see their favorite childhood movie series end. This being the case some very young children would have been unable to pick up on quite a few of the jokes. That being said I am not young and therefore understood everything and found the movie to be AMAZING :XD.

PS: Thorn, your going to love How To Train Your Dragon :thumbs Well at least I think you will, I know I did :).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top