Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
ach... I forgot... yeah...

An American Tail ...is awesome!!!! :D (sadly though, this America/U.S. is long since dead... it was another age.. gone forever)

and I can't believe I forgot these as well:

Secret of the Nimh 1 (this is sooo goooood, it's really really awesome!!!! And, it's quite Dark, woot woot), and here's the link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084649/)

All Dogs Go to Heaven 1 (In seeing it again at my age now, tt wasn't as good as it was when I was a kid, sighs), and here's the link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096787/)

-------------------

and this is a really good REALLY-OLDSCHOOL movie:

Annie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083564/)

(It's about a girl in an orphanage, being picked up by "the richest man in the U.S." (ruthlessly achieving wealth at others expense), who has horrible social skills and hates kids, but Annie changes him, it's really quite sweet and well done, and the movie itself is still to this day very enjoyable/entertaining to watch, I just recently re-saw it with my nieces, and I was as glued to the screen as they were, lol. (I had seen it long ago when I was a kid, but I had forgotten it, so it was like I was seeing it for the first time)

.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Well, for me, Aladdin probably wouldn't have been as liked by me, if I hadn't been a kid seeing it in the theatre when it came out, lol (ya, I'm a bit older generation here, lol). It was epic to see it when it first came out back during that time in the threatre as a kid. Much like how I presume it is for those who love the Lion King, who saw it as a kid (those of a younger generation then me, lol), and thus it became their "first" epic Disney movie. Or, the even later movies, like Hercules or whatever, for the even younger generations, lol.

------------------------------

Ustegius,

OMG, I too was such a dinosaur-nerd !!!!

Oh, I can still remember how excited I was when Jurassic Park (1) came out, and it was sooooo epic at the time too !!!!! It was a new Era in monsters/creatures for movies, revolutionary, grins. But, times have changed though.... since then, haha.

I had this really awesome and big/comprehensive Dinosaur book on like every single dinosaur with pictures and text, and I lost it.... I've been missing it ever since.... cries....
 
Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
and I can't believe I forgot these as well:

Secret of the Nimh 1 (this is sooo goooood, it's really really awesome!!!! And, it's quite Dark, woot woot), and here's the link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084649/)

All Dogs Go to Heaven 1 (In seeing it again at my age now, tt wasn't as good as it was when I was a kid, sighs), and here's the link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096787/)
Agreed! All Dogs Go to Heaven was one of those movies me and my sis watched aaaaaaall the time when we were kids, yet that I pretty much didn't remember anything from now that I've grown up. When I saw it about a year ago, I was kinda let down because I remembered having such strong feelings for it as a kid, but it was really average...

But The Secret of NIMH is still friggin' awesome. Can't believe I forgot it either, because it truly is one of the greatest animated movies ever made. It is known.

-------------------

and this is a really good REALLY-OLDSCHOOL movie:

Annie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083564/)

(It's about a girl in an orphanage, being picked up by "the richest man in the U.S." (ruthlessly achieving wealth at others expense), who has horrible social skills and hates kids, but Annie changes him, it's really quite sweet and well done, and the movie itself is still to this day very enjoyable/entertaining to watch, I just recently re-saw it with my nieces, and I was as glued to the screen as they were, lol. (I had seen it long ago when I was a kid, but I had forgotten it, so it was like I was seeing it for the first time)
That's one movie I really don't care about much. The story is a bit too predictable and cheesy in my opinion, and not much really happens at all. I don't know, it's been a while since I've seen this one, but I remember thinking it was pretty damn boring. The music sticks though, I'll give it that. For better or worse. :p

(My girlfriend played in a version of this musical just a few months ago, actually. I thought the same thing as I did about the movie, except that the girl who played Annie was waaaaaaay better than the girl in the movie, which really surprised me. :blink)

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Well, for me, Aladdin probably wouldn't have been as liked by me, if I hadn't been a kid seeing it in the theatre when it came out, lol (ya, I'm a bit older generation here, lol). It was epic to see it when it first came out back during that time in the threatre as a kid. Much like how I presume it is for those who love the Lion King, who saw it as a kid (those of a younger generation then me, lol), and thus it became their "first" epic Disney movie. Or, the even later movies, like Hercules or whatever, for the even younger generations, lol.
I guess that makes sense, except I'm not really sure I saw The Lion King before I saw Aladdin. And I saw The Jungle Book the first time when I was like 5 (having seen a lot of the other now "classics" before that and it's been my favorite ever since. So it's not really true in all cases that the first one you saw or the one that came out when you were little becomes your favorite. But yeah, I guess it's true in many cases.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't mean Aladdin had to be the first one you've seen, but if you were a kid around during that time, it was the "epic" disney movie. At least for me, anyways, but I guess maybe not for everyone.

at the time, I was a little boy, so all the damned singing and kissing/romance parts were lame to me (oh how I hated how all the girlies and mommies singing-loving the song, it was sooo annoying... lol), but I really otherwise liked the movie, it had really epic graphics for it's time, I so loved the cave of wonder, when I was a kid, all the booby-trap stuff, like Indiana Jones and stuff.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
@Organizized, where the hell I live? xd But srsly: even at top10 I didn't even once spot someone mentioning Aladdin here in pl around friends of mine <though the list went with Pixar movies, as well as Dreamworks movies like Shrek and others and seems more ppl here is 'with' those kinds of movies: that they can laugh mostly, probably drinking bear or sth while watching, you know the drill xd>
About the soundtrack: agreed, though I think I rank it even higher. And "A whole new world" I can stand because I really like it - soooo romantic and cliche and whatever :p:p:p Though, of course, its not my favourite one.

cracker said:
Anybody here a fan of David Lynch? I'm thinking about watching Twin Peaks (tv series)
Just a precaution: 1 season owns! The 2nd: don't expect too much. I'm not too much into D.Lynch but I watched that series.

HegemonKhan said:
Well, for me, Aladdin probably wouldn't have been as liked by me, if I hadn't been a kid seeing it in the theatre when it came out, lol (ya, I'm a bit older generation here, lol). It was epic to see it when it first came out back during that time in the threatre as a kid.
Well, I don't even remember if that movie was released at that time in cinemas in Poland - and even if it was, I lived in the dump shit village as a little kid so no-no for cinema at that time. I only remember The Lion King in cinemas. For the first time I watched Aladdin - of course - when I was a kid, at my cousin house in Canada. I didn't know english at that time and I still loved it :p After that I saw The Lion King in cinema in Poland for the first time. But still: if I would see them in different way, I would still love Aladdin - for me it makes no difference which movie I watched first/second/etc. to be ranked; although I can have a strong sentimens for the 'first' ones, definitely, but who doesn't? xP
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I have yet to watch a David Lynch movie I didn't at least find enjoyable and/or interesting. Some are friggin' masterpieces, some are just weird enough that you have to love them, others are just plain weird but worth watching thanks to that. Granted, he hasn't made anything since Twin Peaks that tops it, but his movies are still great. Best one being Mulholland Drive, IMO. I recommend watching Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man, Eraserhead and perhaps also Lost Highway if you want to really experience some of the most Lynch-y movies and also get a few different "styles" of his.

What juUnior said about Twin Peaks is true, though. Season 1 is some of the best TV ever made. Season 2 was kinda disappointing after the standard set by the first season..
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I haven't watched a singly thing by Lynch. Hole in my film knowledge.

Yeah, I remember being so psyched by Jurassic Park 1. Or not really, I were so young though then, that I got to see it only many years later. It was Jurassic Park 2 which really made me nuts. Even if I were already past my biggest dino boom.

Talking about it, what is the first film you saw in theaters? Mine was Toy Story in a very small no longer existing theater. Man it was a big experience for a small boy. I were totally all over Toy Story after it. Not only was the franchise perfect for toys and merchandise, but the whole 3D graphic thing was so wooooooow.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
first film I saw in theatres... that was a long long long time ago... I have NO way of knowing... lol

hmm... I can't even remember, what's the earliest movie-theatre film that I seen... lol...

(damn this is annoying... as I personally would like to know, what I saw first or what I remember of being my earliest... argh!!!)

I saw Little mermaid in theatres... Home Alone... hmm.. anything earlier.... that I remember... hmm... I'd have to do some research... lol... as my memory is no good off the top of my head, lol.

I can't remember seeing Bambi in the theatres... or if I saw it on tv... and when it came out... or re-came out (as I think the very original Bambi was like 1950 or so - I'm not that old... lol) hmm... argh...

other old movies...

Flight of the Navigator
Annie
The Never Ending Story
TNMT 1

hmm... dammit... I cna't remember what was the first movie I seen... lollolo

---------------------------------

oooooo, I just remembered another awesome movie:

Puff the Magic Dragon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262711/)

Watch the movie: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3476801002597020377#
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
watever i lioved sectet of the nuphym. iwhat ever.

Rescuiers! how about that- the "be breave littele oone..." soundtrack,..
 

cracker

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
3,064
Reaction score
2,504
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have Inland Empire to watch lol its 3 hours long....better get settled in
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Aw gee. The Never Ending Story...

all those witches "Nothingness, Emptiness, etc. etc...

And why isn't anybody convinced about "The chipmunk adventure (1987)" ? lol. I really loved it, and I always have it on my PC so that whenever I'm in the mood for some nostalgia it's either I watch that film or Princess Mononoke (Ghibli).

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

There's something about Titanic, though- there's a certain replayability to it. It has enough humor and bittersweet stuff and just the right family entertainment factor in it.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
ooo another really good old movie:

Duck Tails (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099472/)

----------------------

Just some movie trivia:

Titanic was the first time an American movie displayed the female "chest in full", as prior to Titanic, movies couldn't show this, but now thanks to Titanic the restriction of this is no more :D

And of course Titanic was the highest grossing movie until Avatar, and both movies were by the same guy/director, whatever.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
ooo another really good old movie:

Duck Tails (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099472/)

----------------------

Just some movie trivia:

Titanic was the first time an American movie displayed the female "chest in full", as prior to Titanic, movies couldn't show this, but now thanks to Titanic the restriction of this is no more :D

And of course Titanic was the highest grossing movie until Avatar, and both movies were by the same guy/director, whatever.
I think you mean a PG-13 movie. There's plenty of examples of full nudity in movies prior to this :sweat

I think Titanic is overrated really. The special effects were great for the time, but overall I don't think it's a classic.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Maybe, but I thought it was illegal for movies (even rated R and maybe NC-17 too) to show a female's nipples prior to the Titanic, and the Titanic only got away with it, due to its nature/context of the entire film and of the scene. But, obviously since the Titanic, it's no longer illegal to show them. The private parts (males and females) obviously still remain illegal to show. I could be wrong about the female's nipple being illegal prior to the Titanic, though. (I'll see if I can research up on this)

-----------------

edit:

I couldn't exactly find anything on this sighs...

It does make sense that this was only concerning pg-13 movies, so I'm probably mistaken then about this.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Maybe, but I thought it was illegal for movies (even rated R and maybe NC-17 too) to show a female's nipples prior to the Titanic, and the Titanic only got away with it, due to its nature/context of the entire film and of the scene. But, obviously since the Titanic, it's no longer illegal to show them. The private parts (males and females) obviously still remain illegal to show. I could be wrong about the female's nipple being illegal prior to the Titanic, though. (I'll see if I can research up on this)
Ummm...maybe in certain countries with strict policies on stuff like that but there's been nudity in film for the last 50+ years.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
ya, you're right, my bad everyone! Thank for correcting me, xi0. Again sorry for my mistake.

Titanic was the first time for full female chest nudity for *PG-13* movies, not rated R movies as I wrongly said priorly.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Heat is a must-watch movie in my opinion. Great film, is long, but it doesn't feel like it drags ever. Just a great cast.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I saw 3 Musketeers, and I was disappointed. I was expecting/hoping it to be good, but it was just average, sighs...

I think my interest in American movies is nearly dead. Please let my Batman and Underworld be good !!!!
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I saw 3 Musketeers, and I was disappointed. I was expecting/hoping it to be good, but it was just average, sighs...

I think my interest in American movies is nearly dead. Please let my Batman and Underworld be good !!!!
Your interest in American movies (not an American movie really) is nearly dead because Paul WS Anderson made another meh movie? Seriously? :rofl

I don't know...when I saw the previews for it...17th Century France? Bullet-time? Seriously? I didn't really have any expectations for it and I wouldn't buy a ticket to see it.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
laughs, nah that statement wasn't based solely on the 3 Musketeers, my bad though for making it seem like it was.

3 Musketeers was merely YET ANOTHER non-great American movie... which is added to the pile that makes up, my disappointment in American movies attitude. :D

(And, I'm way too spoiled by animes and mangas. Seriously, I get more excited when the next Naruto/Bleach anime episode comes out than a new American movie, and I'm always pleased with the anime episode, but nearly always so disappointed with the American movie... sighs...)
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I don't know...when I saw the previews for it...17th Century France? Bullet-time? Seriously? I didn't really have any expectations for it and I wouldn't buy a ticket to see it.
I did watch it, it was as clear as day that the film wouldn't have much of a logic but at least it was entertaining :amuse my expectations for american movies are already low, I don't expect anything most of the time. Only really good films in the last few years were Inception and Batman: Dark Knight, rest was more or less average or way below.

@Hege I will go so mad if the next Batman turns out to be bad :arf but I have faith in Nolan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top