Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teubier

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
666
Reaction score
2,440
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
France
I agree with you, I also think Banderas played the role just right, with the face and body he was blessed with. By 'charisma' I meant something that he can't act upon. I just think that particuliar role needed somebody more impressive (well, more impressive to me :p) physically, a bit more class or a bit more rugged, Banderas just felt a bit plain to me, that's all.
By the way, I hadn't any expectation either. If you didn't write about it, I would have picked it at some point in my 'to-watch' folder randomly, like I do everytime I watch a movie alone. And like I did to discover the wonderful Adaptation today.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Puss in Boots was... decent. Thought everything up until the "big reveal" was pretty good, but I really didn't like that particular plot point. Those who've seen it will know what I mean.

I wouldn't have had anything against Humpty being the villain if they didn't make his resolution so damn weak. He's been cooking up this diabolical plan to get the whole town to trust him and frame Puss, yet all it takes is something like "this is not you, you are good" to make him change his mind and go "Oh, you're right. Now I'll risk my life to save this town I hate and wanted to destroy." I don't know, it's not that the twist didn't make sense I guess, it just felt too much like they had to make it make sense.

Everything up until that point was a solid 7/10 for me. Some good jokes (especially in the first half hour or so), great animation and a nice adventure-vibe throughout the movie. Not sure if it's a 6 or a 7 as a whole, but I'll at least say it's a movie worth watching. Better than I expected, for sure.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Speaking of Banderas

has anybody seen "Black Gold"? I'm interested in watching it, since I was in Qatar during the premiere but just didn't have the time to watch movies then.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hugo was alright. If you're interested in "movie history and significance".

Sherlock Holmes was "lack-luster" - boring - unimpressive

Mission Impossible was also "lack-luster".

Underworld's action was quite good (we need a Selene vs Alice match up, lol), but the story-plot was lacking, sighs.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Saw J. Edgar few weeks back. I hardly knew anything before hand about it, expect that it was about FBI, directed by Clint and the trailer felt boring. Positive suprise. Well-built standtard drama, oh well, not that stantard as in themes and characters, but in structure. I really liked the developement of the romance in it, and as I know particulary nothing on USAs history in detail, it provided some interesting insight. Though on the other hand, at first all the references made it hard for me to follow. But I got past that and could enjoy the film. Towards the end few scenes felt a little unnecessary and dragged, but that was quite minor. Dicaprio did a good job and Clint proved again, that he is very good.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Tintin sparkles with its absence in the Oscar nominations for the Best Animated Movie category.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Tintin sparkles with its absence in the Oscar nominations for the Best Animated Movie category.
I'm so upset at this. Can't believe the lack of nominations for Tintin or Drive.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I'm so upset at this. Can't believe the lack of nominations for Tintin or Drive.
Seconded (even if I haven't seen Drive). Not upset, but suprised that J. Edgar didn't get a single nod. Also, still wishing the Academy would some day honor Serkis.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Seconded (even if I haven't seen Drive). Not upset, but suprised that J. Edgar didn't get a single nod. Also, still wishing the Academy would some day honor Serkis.
Agreed to. When the time finally comes where there's awards for best motion capture actor; Andy Serkis should receive a Lifetime Recognition award in the Category.

Ust you should watch Drive, and I'll watch J.Edgar next :thumbs
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I believe this is the list of nominees for best picture:

Best Picture
"The Artist"
"The Descendants"
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"
"Hugo"
"Midnight in Paris"
"The Help"
"Moneyball"
"War Horse"
"The Tree of Life"
I only watched two: The Help and Midnight in Paris.

I'm surprised Midnight in Paris got on the list at all. I mean, I thought it was just another romcom (with a few nods from the great artists of the time). :/
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Drive was cool, due to the "twist-surprise into the type of movies that I enjoy" (trying to not spoil) :D

TinTin, I forgot I saw this argh, it was alright for its action-adventure... but it was far too kiddish and unimpressive for me.

Tangled was far far far better than TinTin, for me.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Tangled came out in 2010, and I think it was nominated at last year's Oscars. I haven't seen the two foreign language animated films that were nominated for Best Animated Feature this year (A Cat in Paris and Chico & Rita), and maybe I should before I express myself about it but... There are two foreign language films nominated and none of them is Arrietty. IT JUST FEELS WRONG! And, needless to say, I'm of the opinion that Tintin was robbed. It was definitely better than Kung Fu Panda 2 and Puss in Boots.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

I'm disappointed Drive wasn't nominated for Best Picture as well. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close seems okay at all, but I really can't see it topping Drive. Out of the nominees for that category I've seen (Midnight in Paris, The Help, The Tree of Life) I liked Drive more than all of them. Not saying those three aren't good movies because I really liked all of them, but... I just wish the Academy weren't so damn stubborn and old-fashioned every damn year.

Edit: And Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy should've been in the Best Picture as well. Definitely deserves it more than Midnight in Paris, at least. I'll give Midnight in Paris the Writing nomination, but Directing and Best Picture is way too much for it, as enjoyable as it is.

Going to watch The Artist this weekend. Needless to say, I've got high expectations for it. It leads the Oscar nominations, BAFTA nominations, Golden Globe nominations and SAG nominations. It better be as good as they say...

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Also, was surprised there was no Michael Fassbender in Shame in the Best Leading Actor category. Haven't actually seen it, but he's been nominated for all the other big awards so I thought he was a shoe-in. Maybe too much nudity, the Academy being prude, I dunno.

But one movie I have seen which DEFINITELY should've been nominated for Best Foreign Language Film is The Skin I Live In. As I've mentioned earlier, that's one of the very best films of 2011 imo and was absolutely ROBBED of a nomination.

EDIT: Forever alone! :crying
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How was the Warhorse movie?

----

I haven't seen it, as I fear it'll be too unbearable for me to see the horses get killed... animal lover...

I HATE HATE HATE how we put animals into our world, let humans kill themselves in our wars against each other, but don't go putting-using animals in our wars, which they got nothing to do with. I have no problems with animals "killing" themselves in the wild (for food-eat, or, from being, eaten), as that's their "war" (for survival), but why should we make animals suffer and get killed in our wars (which is often not for such direct survival... as it is in the "war" of the wild).
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
But people should kill each other? You make it sound really weird.-_- Why breed animals and kill them afterwards without giving them any freedom, just to eat a steak? Because we can. Why horses, because they gave the advantage in the past. It's not like their objective was to be killed. "Better to sacrifice a horse than the freedom and lives of ones family" was the likely conclusion, as it would be mine.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273222/]These Amazing Shadows was a good watch and gave a nice insight into some old movies and time/culture.

New Kids Turbo made me laugh most of the time, because of it's dumb humor. Probably only enjoable with original soundtrack and subtitles and those able to understand a bit of it.

Gonna watch A Dangerous Method tonight, let's hope it wont be a disappointment.^^
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because the animals are INNOCENT and PURE, moral value reason.

Humans DO, do SHIT to each other (and to animals too, GRR), so we deserve the SHIT that we DO, do to each other. Animals don't, they're not SHIT like we are.

I have no pity or care when humans kill humans (for such criminally petty reasons, unlike animals which ONLY kill for survival - thus never murder - whereas humans do murder - excluding some animal exceptions), because that's the SHIT we are, we deserve our own SHIT, animals do not.

--------------------------------

humans eating animals is fine, that's what all life does, we're all cannibals - as life can't live without devouring itself (though this is really the wrong-negative way to think-label this as, rather its a cycle-positive, nitrogen and carbon cycle, hehe), we have the right to not die from starvation, just as all life has this right. Now, it would be better if we had to take a risk for our meals, like other animals have to, instead of just salughtering animals in complete safety and not have any involvement in it as well. But, meh, hoping for an ideal is folly, lol.
 
Last edited:

Teubier

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
666
Reaction score
2,440
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
France
Discovered Mystery Train by J.Jarmusch tonight, damn I loved it. And then I remembered Coffee and Cigarettes, Dead Man, Ghost Dog, Broken Flowers, Night on Earth ; all thoroughly enjoyed and loved.

 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I god damn love Jim Jarmusch. He has the ability of making me want to keep watching movies with no meaning whatsoever. Coffee and cigarettes and Down By Law are two of my favorites, and Dead Man, Broken Flowers, Ghost Dog and Mystery Train are awesome as well. Hell, I even liked The Limits of Control, which I've never heard anyone say anything good about, pretty much.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
THE ORANGE BRITISH FILM AWARDS 2012 WINNERS said:
ACADEMY FELLOWSHIP
Martin Scorsese

BEST FILM
The Artist

BEST ACTOR
Jean Dujardin - The Artist

BEST DIRECTOR
Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

BEST ACTRESS
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christopher Plummer - Beginners

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Octavia Spencer - The Help

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER:
Tyrannosaur - Paddy Considine (director), Diarmid Scrimshaw (producer)

OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO BRITISH CINEMA:
John Hurt

RISING STAR AWARD (VOTED BY THE PUBLIC)
Adam Deacon

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Senna

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
The Skin I Live In (Spain)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
Rango

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Artist - Michel Hazanavicius

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Bridget O'Connor, Peter Straughan

CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Artist - Guillaume Schiffman

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
The Artist - Ludovic Bource

EDITING:
Senna - Gregers Sall, Chris King

PRODUCTION DESIGN:
Hugo

COSTUME DESIGN:
The Artist

SOUND:
Hugo

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS:
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part 2

MAKE-UP AND HAIR:
The Iron Lady

SHORT ANIMATION:
A Morning Stroll

SHORT FILM:
Pitch Black Heist

Ok, I've not seen The Artist so my opinion is biased but I feel like Martin Scorsese really should've won a best director's award for Hugo, but well. Jean Dujardin sure is picking them up now huh? went from a relatively known french comedian to worldwide star. Apparently there were lots of reservations regarding Meryl Streep's protrayal in The Iron Lady(despite it being said to be the role she was born to play) and people felt it was lacking but she's laughing all the way home with her winner's trophy.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Shiieet~ Artist seems great and nothing against it (and going to see it when it finally hits the cinemas here), but I hope the Oscars won't be that one-sided or it'll be boring. It seems to catch all the trophies. Now my expectations could get too high and when I finally see it, it will dissapoint. :bored

Though, on the other hand, I thought the same about King's Speech last year, and still the film impressed me greatly after all the hype and awards.
 

Aazholh

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
301
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I saw Chronicle. The movie was pretty good, but the story could have to so much better, if maybe the budget has been bigger. There was so much opportunity with the premise, but the characters just didn't appreciate how powerful they were. A better story would be the characters rise to power, but utilizing their powers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top