Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
I totally agree with Orgz rating. Funny thing Brave won the Oscars for Animated Feature Film. I didn't find it all too good. I am a bit surprised to see Rise of the Guardians was not even nominated :confused. It was predicted by many magazines, blogs, etc. Actually, I find it better than all the other nominations.
 
Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I've got Rise of the Guardians downl... err, rented. I hate my town's movie theatre, as the few animated movies that actually get to be shown are always only shown with Swedish dub. This one wasn't even shown here, though. But I've heard Rise of the Guardians is a movie that should really be seen in the theatre because it has splendid 3D (even a few people really opposed to 3D have said this is one of the few where they thought it improved the movie). I don't care much for 3D, though, so I hope I'll enjoy it on a TV screen! :tem
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
I watched it at home, at my own little cinema. It was a DVD and it wasn't 3D but I enjoyed the animation. Once I get my 3D glasses for the projector, I will surely watch it in 3D and of course, on bluray.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
The ones I plan to see still are Skyfall, Looper, Les Miserables, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Amour, Flight, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Frankenweenie, Cloud Atlas and possibly some other ones I'm forgetting. Argo, maybe. Lincoln, maybe.

Please tell me if there are any real must-see movies I've missed this year.
This second half of the year hasn't been very good for me and movies, I must admit. There's been many good films out and I've not had time to see them all.

Skyfall- Solid film. For some reason, it's gotten a lot of bad words but I didn't find it bad. The best Bond film? I don't think so, maybe Casino Royale is better but it has better cinematography in my opinion, though more could've been done with the villain I felt. 7/10

Looper- Loved this film, I can't believe I didn't watch this when it came out( only saw it 2 weeks ago). There could have been a sequel where the villain's story was expanded because it had potential to. Both James Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis were both very good, the former in particular. Good cast, very well shot, story wasn't the most complex of things but sometimes it's best that it isn't and you let it combine with other elements to make the movie standout. 8/10( borderline 9).

The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Quite the moving story this was, I think someone may have written a summary of it a few posts above, so I won't bother. Endearing cast and some good humour. It really surprised me how much I enjoyed it. 8/10

Out of the 3 I've listed, I'd say see Looper first, then Wallflower then Skyfall. I also have plans to see Seven Psychopaths, Cloud Atlas, Frankenweenie, Wreck-It-Ralph, Django Unchained, Life of Pi. I can't believe how poor my cinema experience has been lately :crying.
 

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
Please tell me if there are any real must-see movies I've missed this year.
I don't know if you intentionally not mentioned this but maybe Cabin in the Woods... maybe. I enjoyed that film, you know when something cliche gets pimped to look twisted and awesome. It's one of those you either love or hate movies. And it was co-written by, as they call "The god of all nerds", Joss Whedon so it's at least worth a try, right?

2012 was a good year for movies, imo. Though I'll say that my favorites were, mainly because I surprisingly enjoyed and loved them, Moonrise Kingdom and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

and Wreck-It-Ralph should have won the Academy!!
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
But I saw Princess and the Frog and I thought it was the worst Disney movie I'd ever watched. :gwah
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
The Hobbit was a nice movie. I have read the book twice but a long time ago. I really enjoyed the movie. Its amazing how they are able to create the fantasy world. I was like WTF, some of the settings are as I have pictured while I was reading the book. Credit to Tolkein and his vivid writing. Like LOTR, the wait is a big no.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Gary Oldman has been cast in the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes; Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Dylan Baker and Meagan Good have been cast in Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.

Surprise to just have found out that there's a sequel to 300; 300: Rise of an Empire. Read more about it here.

Some updates on Guillermo Del Toro's Dark Justice adaptation.

---------- Post added March 05, 2013 at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was March 03, 2013 at 11:44 AM ----------

New trailer for Iron Man 3:


 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dried Ambrosia

A Symphony For Your Taste Buds
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
2,659
Reaction score
5,929
Gender
Female
Country
Buy Moria
I've seen Confessions(2010) and the TV adaptation of one of my favourite books "The Kite Runner". The first movie is a psychological thriller that keeps you wondering wtf is going on, whilst the second is the redemption story of Afghan American (it touches topics such as loyalty, friendship, dishonesty, invasion, immigration, Taliban regime and so on). All those interested in drama might like both movies.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I watched some interesting movies and documentaries that I would recommend to anyone, here goes:

1. Hidden Colors 2: The Triumph of Melanin (documentary)
2. The Pirate Bay Away From Keyboard (documentary)
3. The Master (movie)
4. The Rise of the Guardians (movie-animation)
5. The Secret World of Arrietty (movie-animation)
6. The Man with the Iron Fists (movie)
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Seven Psychopaths was another really entertaining movie. Well written with many hilarious moments, a lot of meta humor and most of all great, great characters. With a cast of Colin Farrell (teaming up with In Bruges director/writer Martin McDonagh again), Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson and coolest man that ever lived Tom Waits, this one kept me entertained throughout the entire thing. I can't guarantee you'll feel the same way, but either way it's worth watching. 9/10
Just seen this today and I have to agree with you everything you've said. I absolutely loved Sam Rockwell in this. I won't spoil why to those who haven't seen the film but wow. Very meta/Tarantino-esque feel about the film.

A few days ago I watched Oz The Great and Powerful in cinema as part of a double bill. It starts off quite funny, with its black and white small screen look to it, then changes to this widescreen magical wonderland view. The film as a whole feels very long, from about half way through I got the feeling I wanted it to end already; which is never a good sign. The plot isn't terribly complex at all, the acting is next to generic, James Franco is...well, he's James Franco. It's a good family film, if you have any younger siblings, niece/nephews/cousins you want to take, they would really enjoy it. It's good some humorous scenes with the creatures inhabiting the wonderland. 5/10

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters was the second film I saw and it was exactly what I expected but I enjoyed it a tad bit more than I thought I would. A really good friday night film, lots of actions and well placed comedy. It's not your award winning film but one that you'd enjoy with friends and could watch at home. Straightforward story, though some revelations are scattered to create suspense and surprise. The duo playing the titled characters (Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arteton) have very good on screen chemistry, which makes their characters quite loveable and their interactions, particularly in moments recalling their childhood are good scenes, I found. 7/10
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
didn't know it was Jim Carrey until his name came up!
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Damn the video no longer works.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
didn't know it was Jim Carrey until his name came up!
You're not the first to say that actually, I was reading about it yesterday when I first found the trailer and many of the comments were about how noone recognised that it was him. I spotted him immediately. Mind you, I also knew of his casting beforehand.

Damn the video no longer works.
I've updated my post with a new video. :nod
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Saw Rise of the Guardians, and I didn't expect it to be a bit... um... promising. It had a lot of potential, and you could tell they kind of tried hard, and you could see where they wanted to go, but an hour and a half just didn't permit them to show what the story had to offer. Which is disappointing because I enjoyed it for what it was trying to be.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
 
Last edited by a moderator:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
speaking of which, I'm revisiting the first two movies this week...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top