Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Definitely what's eating Gilbert Grape.

Maybe something for blood diamond or aviator too. Forest Whitaker won in his blood diamond year though, which is unlucky because Last king of scotland is something else but yea...The thing about him though is he is consistently good and occasionally brilliant, which is much better than almost all of his contemporaries.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I also think he did phenomenal role in J. Edgar. And if I recall correctly, wasn't even nominated.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I think I may have gotten that wrong, it's more that he's missed nominations rather than missed out awards. Shutter Island and J. Edgar I think are the 2 that stand out for me.

Imp, I've never seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape but I've read the praises he received for his portrayal of the mentality retarded character.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
To me Leo is brilliant in most of his major movies, but is always overshadowed (somewhat unluckily) by other brilliant acting at the same year. I'm sort of getting the biased feeling that the Oscar crew aren't big fans of Leo, lol.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
If Leo doesn't pay the Oscars people, then it could be why he's not winning any awards.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It's happened a bunch of times. Most notably Pacino and Nicholson winning late in their careers against superior performances. It's like if they get he's nub often enough, they eventually give it to them out of mercy, with it feeling more like a lifetime achievement than anything else. There are other examples as well.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I think Scorsese is also another example for best director at the Oscars, but he finally won for The Departed(if I remember...), despite many claiming he should've won for other films previously.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I think Scorsese is also another example for best director at the Oscars, but he finally won for The Departed(if I remember...), despite many claiming he should've won for other films previously.
Correct. His films have had a total of 75 nominations, winning 20 of said categories, but only one was for Best Director. So crazy to me.

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 AM ----------

Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas...the list goes on
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Correct. His films have had a total of 75 nominations, winning 20 of said categories, but only one was for Best Director. So crazy to me.

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 AM ----------

Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas...the list goes on
Yeah I've just checked his filmography, bloody hell. If there is a person more unlucky or dare I say hated by the Academy, then I'd like to know who. :o
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah I've just checked his filmography, bloody hell. If there is a person more unlucky or dare I say hated by the Academy, then I'd like to know who. :o
Not sure, but a lot of politics go on. But I haven't heard anything about the voters hating him or anything. Not sure why they would.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
heard some good reviews on Monsters' University.

And some mixed reviews on World War Z...

For sure I'm watching Monsters' University, just for the heck of it. World War Z, not too sure.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
As Happy as I may be with a new Monsters' movie, why didn't they just make a sequel? But I'll see it too Babs, I've not read any reviews about the film yet.

I saw World War Z last week(?), and I found pretty good. From speaking to people who have both seen the film and read the book, it seems to deviate quite a bit from the themes the latter tries to present. I describe the film a bit like I Am Legend but before the world became a complete ruin and you get quite some cool scenes with the infected humans. Brad Pitt delivers a good performance, but it's not Academy-worthy acting but it's good. The rest of the cast are just there to make up the numbers, you won't even remember most of them and quite predictable performances to go with the generic roles.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Just came back from watching Man of Steel. It was a good movie.

Plot : MoS has the best plot comparing to other Superman movies. I grew up watching Superman movies and reading the comics. With this movies, the franchise will be able to get more fans from the younger generations. Even for me, the plot was a perfect refresher of Superman origins, how he became Superman, and how his powers worked.

Visual Effects : Insane is what comes to my mind. I think MoS has taken another step closer to making fantasy becoming reality. The fights were insane.

Characters : Amy so far has been my favorite Lois Lane. The previous Lois Lanes have somehow managed to annoy me. Henry was a good choice for the role of Superman. So was the other cast, great to see Russell as Jor El.

MoS vs Superman Returns : To be honest, as Superman, Brandon Routh is my favorite. May be its because he resembled Christopher Reeve so much and its never easy to replace the original character. Superman Returns failed more because of the story. I don't blame Brandon. If he was in MoS (apparently with better costume design in this movie), I don't see how he had failed as much as he did in Superman Returns.

Overall, MoS has been best so far in the history of this franchise. Great stuff.

Any news about a sequel?
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Just saw Monsters University and I must say it wasn't as funny as the original but it had some funny moments.

so I would score it like this

Humor- 7/10 - Stated above

Visuals- 9/10 - The opening short was amazingly beautiful and so were some scenes in the film as well.

Story- 8/10 - It showed the origins of several characters while integrating plenty of new ones (gotta love Charlie Day) and it taught a nice lesson about hard work.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
my friend said she cried- so humor-wise, I'm not expecting much. Sort of like, Toy story? sad and cute?
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Any news about a sequel?
A sequel has been greenlit by the studio but in an interview with Zac Snyder I read, he hasn't had time to really sit down and discuss it with his team in terms of what it'll involve. Rumour going around is the possible inclusion of Lex Luthor being in the next one. Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad and Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville both being current popular names, the latter having actually played Luthor in the series.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah I've just checked his filmography, bloody hell. If there is a person more unlucky or dare I say hated by the Academy, then I'd like to know who. :o
Possibly the cinematograoher Roger Deakins. Nominated for 10 times, filmed more than 60 movies, many of which could have also deserved the nomination. Hasn't won once, despite being a very notable figure among cinematographers and in recent years always one of the favorites to win. Yet still, nope. Not only is he phenomenal, but he also keeps on open discussion board were he helps and advices anyone about filming and lighting problems and challenges. Even amateurs, hobbyist and indie makers.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
A sequel has been greenlit by the studio but in an interview with Zac Snyder I read, he hasn't had time to really sit down and discuss it with his team in terms of what it'll involve. Rumour going around is the possible inclusion of Lex Luthor being in the next one. Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad and Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville both being current popular names, the latter having actually played Luthor in the series.
It'd be nice to have Mike since he has a very Lex-like look, can be very charismatic, and already has a fan-base from playing two DC characters but he's very unlikely in my opinion.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Okay, saw Man of Steel yesterday. It was horrible. The script was awful, plot made no sense and didn't quite delivery what it tried to say, and worst of all the dialogue was horrible. Just horrible. What I did like though, was how overboard they went. When you have too pretty much immortal supermonsters fighting, the only way to go is to to smash all the buildings and visit space to smash some satellites and meteorites and then continue the skacking on ground and smash some more skyscrapers.

It was kinda entertaining though in all the wannabe-epicness. Hilarious in the corny heroics at times.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I still haven't seen it, but it's a Zac Snyder film, it's going to be loud and destructive. Not sure what people expected, but I will admit I was thrown off by the trailers we got...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top