So I saw both Kick-Ass 2 and Monster's Universtiy. While I don't regret seeing them both, they weren't great films either. Kick Ass 2 was at times excessive in its violence( but I don't really mind that) but the biggest fail for me was the story and plot; it didn't seem to really know which path to take in how to especially handle the Kick-Ass character and his growth from the previous film.
Some of the addtional characters just weren't enjoyable to me, I think out of all the cast, I liked Jim Carrey's character the most. Donald Faison was so underwhelming and even Iain Glen was miscast for this film. Argh. In all, it's an okay film to watch for the action and the attempt at comedy, I suppose but the first definitely the better of the 2 in this case.
Monster's Uni was a lot better than I expected. I tried to go into the film with an open mind and that's the best approach, I found this time. I enjoyed the characters a lot and the story too, despite it being a prequel and therefore, if you'd seen the previous film you'd know ultimately where the characters would end up. The supporting cast besides Billy Crystal and John Goodman was so good; Charlie Day, Nathan Fillion, Aubrey Plaza, Helen Mirren is brilliant as the Dean of the Scarer program that Mike and Sulley register to.
I guess I enjoyed the latter more on the day. Oh also, if you go see Monsters, you get this really sweet Pixar short called The Blue Umbralla; really loved that one as well. Seeing these shorts is one of the highlights of a Pixar movie for me.
Also caught the trailer for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2:
Seems awesome; such cool character names
Some of the addtional characters just weren't enjoyable to me, I think out of all the cast, I liked Jim Carrey's character the most. Donald Faison was so underwhelming and even Iain Glen was miscast for this film. Argh. In all, it's an okay film to watch for the action and the attempt at comedy, I suppose but the first definitely the better of the 2 in this case.
Monster's Uni was a lot better than I expected. I tried to go into the film with an open mind and that's the best approach, I found this time. I enjoyed the characters a lot and the story too, despite it being a prequel and therefore, if you'd seen the previous film you'd know ultimately where the characters would end up. The supporting cast besides Billy Crystal and John Goodman was so good; Charlie Day, Nathan Fillion, Aubrey Plaza, Helen Mirren is brilliant as the Dean of the Scarer program that Mike and Sulley register to.
I guess I enjoyed the latter more on the day. Oh also, if you go see Monsters, you get this really sweet Pixar short called The Blue Umbralla; really loved that one as well. Seeing these shorts is one of the highlights of a Pixar movie for me.
Also caught the trailer for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2:
Seems awesome; such cool character names

Last edited by a moderator:


