Theory - The Mysterious Cities of Gold an inspiration to the ONE PIECE series? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory The Mysterious Cities of Gold an inspiration to the ONE PIECE series?

Aki1991

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Nobody? I think this is a game changer. Never heard of it before.

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
I used to watch this show when I was a kid too I can see some similarities even the villain was an outerspace creature at the end too

Aki1991

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I used to watch this show when I was a kid too I can see some similarities even the villain was an outerspace creature at the end too
Where are you from? I did not now the show before

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have also heard of a theory that Oda used Castle in the sky movie as a base for One Piece too. We do not know for certain how many movies/stories he watched/read to be inspired to make one piece.

Good find tho 🙂

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
The show aired in France where I'm from in the early 2000s. (Along with many other 70-80ies animes)

hokageji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sinbad the sailor also has similar vibes...

Da'Great Pirate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
The show aired in France where I'm from in the early 2000s. (Along with many other 70-80ies animes)
The show was originally aired in early 80's as a joint French-Japan production effort. One of the greatest animes of my youth !
Many thanks for pointing the numerous similarities...In addition, Esteban, the main protagonist, was found wearing the sun amulet as a survivor in the open ocean by Mendoza like Shanks saving Luffy. For those who know the series, Mendoza becomes somewhat like a father figure to Esteban accompanying all the team during their adventures to find the golden cities. Mendoza has a good side to him but also exhibits a dark aura around him such that he is never entirely trusted... very much like Shanks. Note that Mendoza was initially on the Magellan expedition to the "New World".
I can definitely see some interesting similarities and it is amusing to know that Oda might have picked up some ideas from this superb anime.