Info - The Official character names in English | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info The Official character names in English

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Since shown in the animated omake of D.Gray Man episode 61, I guess we should consider the issue about character names solved. Apparently they were shown earlier as well, but that was in omake chapters.

They are as followed:

Allen Walker
The earl of millenium (apparently without capital letters)
Lenalee Lee
Yu Kanda
Lavi
Arystar Krory
Miranda Lotto
Komui Lee
Bookman
Cross Marian
Froi Tiedoll
Winters Socalo
Klaud Nine
Kevin Yeegar
Noise Marie
Hevlaska
Road Kamelot
Tyki Mikk
Skinn Bolic
Devit
Jasdero
Lulu Bell
Lero
Timcanpy
Jeryy
Reever Wenhamm
Daisya Barry
Suman Dark

Update:
Asia Branch (as published on 6th ending theme single)

For
Bak Chang
Sammo Han Won
Rohfa
Rikei
Shifu

Update #2 (from the compilation books):
Gigi Lujon
Zuu Mei Chang
Cache Dop
Legory Peck
Mark Burrough

Last edited by a moderator:

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Woo! Thanks for the list. XD It's an extension of the list printed in vol.6, so it's good to get the new characters. Unfortunately, as Lavi said, Kanda forgot all about the Asia Branch personnel. T_T

Also, typo spotted: Skinn Bolic

[pred] Thanks for pointing out ... Fixed[/pred]

Last edited by a moderator:

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I guess the next best thing is Viz's translations, though I'm not sure how correct they are anymore since they insist on referring to both Hevlaska and Mahoja as "he.":XD

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Woo! Thanks for the list. XD It's an extension of the list printed in vol.6, so it's good to get the new characters. Unfortunately, as Lavi said, Kanda forgot all about the Asia Branch personnel. T_T
Yeah .... Asia Branch has been forgotten, but I think that they would have less problem, as there are almost no "L"versus"R" and "B"versus"V" conflicts. Their names are asian after all.

.... Judging by the reaction, that might've been someones fault. It's possible we'll be able to update the list later.

Shaddix

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Is this list totally reliable?
I mean, I already knew all the names except...

Alystar Krory -> Arystar Krory
Winters Socalo - > Winters Sokaro
Klaud Nine -> Cloud Nine
Skinn Bolic -> Skin Boric
Devit -> Debitt

Then the names get bizarre for me...I don't like some of them anymore...

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Krory's name is spelled as "Arystar" in a talk room in volume 6 of the manga, which makes me think that it's more likely to be the correct version.

(Also, with the Earl, it's "millenium" - that's just a misspelling in the post. ^_^)

rhapsody blue

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean, I already knew all the names except...

Alystar Krory -> Arystar Krory
Klaud Nine -> Cloud Nine
Skinn Bolic -> Skin Boric
Devit -> Debitt

They are from the omake from episode 61; you can see the screencaps here and like Digital_Eon stated, Arystar Krory's official name was posted in Vol. 6 omake.

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
[..]
Well .... The names are as reliable as the mangaka himself. That's the wierd part of this. Looks like DGM is one of the best examples of cooperative mangaka. How else could filler episodes turn out to be quite true and cannon?

And still .... agreed about the names. Some of them are bizzare. Looking at the fillers, I always heard "Lulubell" being pronounced in a straight line. Now it turns out to be two names ... >_>

And thanks Predator for the list^^
:amuse .... No need to thank me. I did this list to make it easier for translators and other members to find the right expression of the name quickly. As there was no thread for the names from vol.6 .... just had to make a new one. That's my duty, after all.

.... Just thank the translators later. ^_^

Shaddix

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Then Arystar is official...and Alystar too? That's weird, having two possible names for a same character :S
And still...
Klaud Nine -> Cloud Nine...this is bizarre, Klaud...here Glénat (the editorial here) were using the official names and they used Cloud Nine, as well as Winters Sokaro...
Skinn Bolic -> Skin Boric, this is the less bizarre, but why that double N at the end of Skin?
Devit -> Debitt, if they spell it like "Debitto", it should be at least written as Debitt with the double T...

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally, I always figured "Debitto" was really "David", so "Devitt" sort of makes sense. And I wish it WAS "Alystar Krory" because apparently his name comes from "Alastor Crowley", and Alystar is much more similar to that. Some of these names are just weird though, alot of extra letters and names that aren't spelled like they're pronounced... Ah well, Hoshino has spoken, and so shall it be! Thanks for posting this, Predator.

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Then Arystar is official...and Alystar too? That's weird, having two possible names for a same character :S
That was a wishfull mistype on my transscript .... :sweat .... I played the RAW and wrote by sound and memory, but there were still some mistakes. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I have let my forum skills rust a bit during my absence.
As you see it was fixed immediately. And I triple checked.

And still...
Klaud Nine -> Cloud Nine...this is bizarre, Klaud...here Glénat (the editorial here) were using the official names and they used Cloud Nine, as well as Winters Sokaro...
Skinn Bolic -> Skin Boric, this is the less bizarre, but why that double N at the end of Skin?
Devit -> Debitt, if they spell it like "Debitto", it should be at least written as Debitt with the double T...
*points to some previous posts* .... I agree, but it's not our choice. The names of characters are up to author, both Japanese and English. It's rare for the author himself to give the English spelling of the names, so it's very unusual in many senses.

Personally, I always figured "Debitto" was really "David", so "Devitt" sort of makes sense. And I wish it WAS "Alystar Krory" because apparently his name comes from "Alastor Crowley", and Alystar is much more similar to that. Some of these names are just weird though, alot of extra letters and names that aren't spelled like they're pronounced...
*gasp* ...... Well even the original names are point of argue .... "Alastor Crowley" or "Aleister Crowley"? >_>
Certainly, it's a fitting name for someone, who has hard time fitting in.

I must quote for truth:
Ah well, Hoshino has spoken, and so shall it be! Thanks for posting this, Predator.
.... And I repeat:
.... No need to thank me. I did this list to make it easier for translators and other members to find the right expression of the name quickly. As there was no thread for the names from vol.6 .... just had to make a new one. That's my duty, after all.

.... Just thank the translators later. ^_^

Last edited:

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
*gasp* ...... Well even the original names are point of argue .... "Alastor Crowley" or "Aleister Crowley"? >_>
And his real name was Edward Alexander Crowley in any case.:XD Good job transcribing the lot!

My theory on the English spellings is that at some point, Hoshino-sensei and Kubo Tite went drinking and decided to compete to see who could come up with the most bizarre romanizations for their characters' names. (Kubo is winning.)

Shaddix

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hey, what about Bak Chan?
Is this the real name? Because the ones who are editing the series in Spain named him "Baku Chang", and also named Fou as "Four".

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, what about Bak Chan?
Is this the real name? Because the ones who are editing the series in Spain named him "Baku Chang", and also named Fou as "Four".
they haven't done the official names for the asian branch yet (manga or anime wise). my guess is that it will be revealed in the anime omake in the future by allen.

Akatsuki_DraGoN_

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Omg thank god! I was tired of some translations not of the recent ones though.

Lavi<-->Rabi
Lenalee lee<--> Rinali

:s:s

bigtymer32

Reaction score
Country
United States
is dr gray man gonna ever get dubbed

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found the official romanization of the Asian branch on this trading card, which is included in Wish (6th ED theme) single.

The text on the trading card is hard to read, but I will try my best. They are:

For
Bak Chang
S?? Han Wan/Won?
(his is the hardest to read)
Rohfa
Rikei
Shifu

Hopefully, there will be a better picture posted up soon. ^^

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Won's name looks like "Sammo Han Won" to me. But what's with Fou's name? Is that another likely misspelling (like Jerry "really" being Jeryy)? Crazy...

harmaa

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
...Wow. I think those are just mistakes. ;