Re: Lucy's purpose
All I know is, this S-class trial arc is going to provide some very interesting insights in to the future of Fairy Tail. Not only that, it's going to tell us some very good back story. Seems like we're going to learn more about Natsu finally.
I wouldn't be surprised if they all became S-class mages after this, if they all hold their own against Grimoire Heart, strongest dark guild. Like Gazille said, an S-class mage should be able to handle accidents.
It'd be a good opportunity for a future arc as well if they become S-class mages. Gildartz encountered The Black Dragon on his 100 year quest, something only possibly for S-class mages to undertake. We all know Natsu will do anything to find Igneel and if taking a dangerous quest to find another dragon who might know something is his only option at the time, I think he'll do it.
No less, I can't wait for our first encounter with a dragon.