Awards The Oscars Thread - MH Oscars Contest 2018

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,570
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
You asked for it, you got it​

You want to make predictions about Oscar results?

If you are not sure what they are (the Oscar's I mean), then I am not sure how you found this thread...

Just think of a small golden statue of a man holding a stick being given out to some undeserving actors/actresses/directors/general nobodies related to films in some way or other.
Think far too many emotions
Crying (most fake, but there may be a few genuine tears here and there)
Fancy costumes
Think the exact kind of occasion which Kanye West may rush up on stage, uninvited, and make an arse of himself!

Think this


So ask yourself: Who do you think is going to win? What are your favourite nominees?
Who do you think will win (and more importantly, who do you think should win)...

Also, to increase the fun all the way to 11 - there's a fancy competition (with a possibility to win a nice badge also [terms and conditions apply - badges may be revoked/not given out at moderator's discretion])



To be fair, you should really play - even if you hate the Oscars - especially if you hate the Oscars... only because, if you win, you can lord it over all those who actually do care!

So, with that all said, I present:

MH Oscars Contest 2018

It's that time again, time to pretend that you know more about films than you actually do.
Time to unequivocally state why your choices are correct and why anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron
(please don't actually do this - peace and love for everyone ね :love)

...
Anyway
It all finally culminates on Sunday the 4th March, at the 90th Academy Awards.
Awards will be handed out for all kinds of film related categories - Best Film, Best Actor/Actress in a leading role, Best person-who-wasn't-good-enough-to-be-the-leading-actor-so-we-made-a-runners-up-prize-to-make-them-feel-better... There's even an award for hairstyling?!?

We at Mangahelpers are hosting our own Oscar winners poll, with the chance to win your own Oscar. As an award badge [again, if anyone asks, although I wrote this, I don't promise nuthin'!].

Rules:
- Go here and make your picks!
- The user with the most correct guesses wins the award. Remember to leave your username in the poll.
last year, some bright sparks forgot this/wrote random handles (they didn't win, funnily enough - mainly cause I am far too lazy to try and guess/think about who is who - make it simple if you want to win. If not, just write your name as M3J and pick shitty picks)
- Only 1 entry allowed. In case an user does multiple entries, only the last one counts.
- In case of a tie, the user with most corrects in the Big 5 Categories wins. (Best Film, Directing, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and both Screenplay categories)
- If still a tie, then I am sure we will be able to think of some way to separate the quality wheat from the less-savoury chaff
-There is time to vote until 5:00 p.m. PST on March 4, 2018 // 1AM on March 5th GMT
- You are allowed to discuss your picks and personal favourites in the thread. Telling us why you voted how you voted is highly important necessary recommended.


And remember, if you lose:

1. You weren't actually trying - if you were, you'd have crushed everyone else easily!
2. You didn't really care anyway
3. Someone probably cheated, bribing a mod to miscount their votes...
4. Who are these mods anyway - blithering idiots must have made a mistake somewhere or other
5. It's only the Oscars - not some actually important award - like the Golden Cleric or something
 
Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I haven't seen many of these, so I have really hard time doing choices by my own judgement and feel. I guess I'm gonna eventually go with educated guesses based on speculations in online articles and previous awards.

I'd also want to vote Kubo, but I just can't. Not only is Zootopia the most likely winner, but as much as I loved Kubo and how amazing it looks and sounds, it was eventually bit lacking on the writing and direction side of things. Which I think is often the issue with Laikas films - they look absolutely amazing and the concepts and ideas are beyond great, but they usually fell just a bit short from the fine line between great and incredible. I'm not exactly why it is, but for me they always quite don't reach the emotional high, like for example, Zootopia did.
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I'm not usually into Western Animated films, but Zootopia really did leave me with the good vibes. I know for a fact that that was the reaction of most of the viewers too, so it's concrete in that win as far as I'm concerned.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Yeah, a lot of this year's categories feel more or less locked in.

Just to be clear; if I fill out the form again with other picks, that is the one that will count?
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I'd maybe put the username and then (Second Submission) next to it. And just let a staff member know that you're changing?
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,570
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yeah, a lot of this year's categories feel more or less locked in.

Just to be clear; if I fill out the form again with other picks, that is the one that will count?
S'ok, just tell me what you do and make it obvious which is the newer version - I am sure either @Brandish or I can tally up correctly then.
(just don't make a habit of changing your votes - eh? :derp)
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I'm seeing Manchester by the Sea and La La Land this week. I won't be able to see Moonlight unfortunately since cinemas in my area did not show it. And Hacksaw Ridge doesn't come out until March in Australia. So I'll be swayed a fair bit by newspapers/hype when doing my picks.
 

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,838
Reaction score
16,730
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Well, I had a stab at predicting what will win what, and stuff I couldn't decide on I rolled a dice for because D&D player/nerd aha. I expect La La Land will win a few awards.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah, a lot of this year's categories feel more or less locked in.

Just to be clear; if I fill out the form again with other picks, that is the one that will count?
Same as last year, yo can make multiple entries, but only the last one counts.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I saw Moonlight yesterday and it was a great film. But I don't see it as a big Oscar winner, it's style feel very indie film-ish and it even quite artsy at certain moments. I hope it gets some awards though. Mahersala Ali and Naomie Harris for their acting would be completly justfied. It was beautifully elegantly shot and lighted, so I could back the cinematography award too. And definitely the editing too, since it's kinda of an episodic film. It's such an delicate study on identity, that I would also totally give the direction award for making an amazing job of portraying difficult things thorough 3 different actors doing the same character. But I do think La la Land is gonna get Best Feature, and that very often goes hand in hand with the direction award.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Well, we'll see if I change my votes. Still think they're pretty solid. It's Best Actor and Best Foreign I'm considering changing, really, and those are so tough to predict I think I'll go with my initial instinct.

Still have yet to see Moonlight. Have been wanting to see it but haven't got the chance yet.. And wifey doesn't seem too interested (she went to see La La Land a second time, instead..).

Planning on watching Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea soon, and then I'll probably make a list of who I want to win... Which is often mostly contradictory to who I think will win. Although I did enjoy La La Land immensely.
 

BluePegasus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2015
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
5,128
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Hidden Figures is sooooo out of place on Best Picture.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Aw man, I totally missed that we did this last year (wasn't active much then..). I remember mis-predicting one or two minor categories and then nailing the rest. Was so bummed because I gave tips to a friend who was betting and he asked me if I wanted in, but I don't bet as a rule. Would've won at least a couple thousand kronor.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Moonlight was excellent. What an ensemble. Both Harris and Ali Oscar-worthy. Haven't seen Fences but Viola Davies must have pulled off one hell of a performance to be considered a shoo-in with competition like this.

Other than that, if it wasn't for La La Land it would definitely deserve a Cinematography win as well. Great visuals despite being such a low-budget film.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I saw La La Land today. I enjoyed it, more than I thought I would. It's the type of movie that will win several awards.

Moonlight is actually showing at my cinemas tomorrow! But I'll only able to see one of Moonlight or Manchester by the Sea :( So I'll probably see the latter since my friend is keen on it too.
 

BluePegasus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2015
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
5,128
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
I saw La La Land today. I enjoyed it, more than I thought I would. It's the type of movie that will win several awards.

Moonlight is actually showing at my cinemas tomorrow! But I'll only able to see one of Moonlight or Manchester by the Sea :( So I'll probably see the latter since my friend is keen on it too.
Oh yes I swear you won't regret choosing for Manchester by the Sea. What a movie.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Manchester by the Sea was a very human movie, and was well told. My friend didn't like the ending thinking it just came out of nowhere... but I think he expected it to be more Hollywood I guess. The part with Michelle Williams in the street was very raw (she's a very good actress imo); and Affleck deserves his praise.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, I finally did my entry!
Every year I get torn as to what I should pick for almost every category. Some are obvious in some years but usually you have to soul search between 2 different ones in each category. As a result you can get almost everything right or wrong.

There were a lot of good movies this year!
 
  • Like
Reactions: z.5

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Having actually watched some more of the big nominees I've grown less confident in my previous predictions.. might make a new entry after all.

My "Will - Could - Should" list:

Best Picture

Will win: La La Land
Could win: Moonlight [or is that wishful thinking?]
Should win: Moonlight

Best Director

Will win: Chazelle (La La Land)
Could win: Jenkins (Moonlight)
Should win: Jenkins [but Chazelle deserves it as well]

Best Actor

Will win: Denzel Washington (Fences)
Could win: Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
Should win: Affleck

Best Actress:

Will win: Emma Stone (La La Land)
Could win: Isabelle Huppert (Elle)
Should win: Emma Stone

Best Supporting Actor

Will win: Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)
Could win: Dev Patel (Lion
Should win: Mahershala Ali, or Lucas Hedges (Manchester by the Sea)

Best Supporting Actress

Will win: Viola Davis (Fences)
Could win: Nope
Should win: Viola Davis, or Naomi Harris (Moonlight)

Best Adapted Screenplay

Will win: Moonlight
Could win: Lion
Should win: Moonlight

Best Original Screenplay

Will win: Manchester by the Sea. Or La La Land. No, Manchester [I believe in you Academy!]. Or...
Could win: See "Will win".
Should win: Manchester by the Sea

Best Cinematography

Will win: La La Land
Could win: Arrival
Should win: La La Land or Moonlight

Best Animated Film

Will win: Zootopia
Could win: Kubo and the Two Strings
Should win: Zootopia or The Red Turtle [watch it, guys!]

Best Documentary

Will win: O.J. Made in America
Could win: Nah, this seems solid.
Should win: Can't say.

Best Production Design

Will win: La La Land
Could win: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Should win: La La Land

Best Score

Will win: La La Land
Could win: Moonlight
Should win: La La Land [but Moonlight would be justified]

Best Song

Will win: "City of Stars" (La La Land)
Should win: "Audition (Fools Who Dream)"(La La Land)
Could win: "How Far I'll Go" (Moana) [if the La La Land songs split the votes and end up underneath]

Best Costume

Will win: Jackie
Could win: La La Land
Should win: Fantastic Beasts


Best Foreign

Will win: The Salesman
Could win: Toni Erdmann
Should win: Dunno. Just not A Man Called Ove [only one I watched, was only okay]

Best Make-Up/Hair

Will win: Star Trek Beyond
Could win: Suicide Squad
Should win: Don't know.

Best Editing

Will win: La La Land
Could win: Arrival
Should win: Either of the above

Best Visual Effects

Will win: Jungle Book
Could win: Rogue one
Should win: Jungle Book

Best Sound Mixing

Will win: La La Land
Could win: Hacksaw Ridge
Should win: Arrival

Best Sound Editing

Will win: Hacksaw Ridge
Could win: La La Land or Arrival
Should win: Arrival
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Sent in a new ballot. There are so many of these categories where I think it's a total toss-up between two films, and will kick myself hard if I went for the wrong one.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Darn, should've stuck with my original votes. Just got two less right than I wouldve. So far.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
So I got 14 "Will Win"s, and 13 "Should Win"s.

I'm ain't mad I got Best Actor wrong (okay, a little, butnonly because I got it right at first. Academy made some right choices. Moonlight for Best Picture and Affleck for Best Actor.

But darn those Sound categories.. always seem easy to predict and then I get both wrong.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
And yes, maybe I'm spamming all alone here at the moment, but...

THE OSCAR FOR MOST CRINGE-WORTHY MOMENT GOES TO:

In case you guys are only reading a list of winners. La La Land was announced as Best Picture, then when they were like halfway through the entire crew giving a speech, Moonlight is announced to be the winner after all.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,570
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
THE OSCAR FOR MOST CRINGE-WORTHY MOMENT GOES TO:

In case you guys are only reading a list of winners. La La Land was announced as Best Picture, then when they were like halfway through the entire crew giving a speech, Moonlight is announced to be the winner after all.
Oh my goodness, that's terrible...

Still no clue how they make mistakes like this
:facepalm

 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
What. The. Hell?
Moonlight? :I
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I'll be honest here. I loved La La Land. It was an unresistable piece of film with gorgeous visuals; catchy, well-composed songs; great acting; a classic love story with a non-clichéd ending (which pushed it up a notch on the rating scale) and a further push to save dying jazz music (loving it, Chazelle).
It's the film out of this years nominees which I'll rewatch over and over in the years come, and probably my favorite in that sense.

But the right film won Best Picture. This win, as La La Land would not, held significance. The Academy has more impact on the industry than people in general like to admit or believe. La La Land is already incredibly successful and has sparked what is to be a new wave of musical films. It has affected the industry through its success, thanks to high budget and famous actors making people go see it. And that's fine. But if we're ever going to see a positive change towards equality and acceptance of all, when it comes to events and occasions which mean more than money and success, and can have an actual impact, films like Moonlight should beat films like La La Land every time.

Not to mention Moonlight was also an incredible piece of film with gorgeous visuals; well-composed soundtrack, superb acting and a simple but hauntingly beautiful, important story told in a fantastic way.

It's unfair to compare the two films at all, since they're made for purposes which are worlds apart. They're both amazing films.

But, again, the right film won.

Sorry for the long post. Have a ninja turtle. :turtle
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I'll be honest here. I loved La La Land. It was an unresistable piece of film with gorgeous visuals; catchy, well-composed songs; great acting; a classic love story with a non-clichéd ending (which pushed it up a notch on the rating scale) and a further push to save dying jazz music (loving it, Chazelle).
It's the film out of this years nominees which I'll rewatch over and over in the years come, and probably my favorite in that sense.

But the right film won Best Picture. This win, as La La Land would not, held significance. The Academy has more impact on the industry than people in general like to admit or believe. La La Land is already incredibly successful and has sparked what is to be a new wave of musical films. It has affected the industry through its success, thanks to high budget and famous actors making people go see it. And that's fine. But if we're ever going to see a positive change towards equality and acceptance of all, when it comes to events and occasions which mean more than money and success, and can have an actual impact, films like Moonlight should beat films like La La Land every time.

Not to mention Moonlight was also an incredible piece of film with gorgeous visuals; well-composed soundtrack, superb acting and a simple but hauntingly beautiful, important story told in a fantastic way.

It's unfair to compare the two films at all, since they're made for purposes which are worlds apart. They're both amazing films.

But, again, the right film won.

Sorry for the long post. Have a ninja turtle. :turtle
I agree with the win, but the cringe was painful with that mistake... :fail
 
Top