Discussion - The Promised Neverland Volume Extras | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Promised Neverland Volume Extras

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I ran into this and felt it deserved it's own topic. The writer of Neverland states that he gave a clue about the meaning of the tattoos in the volume two extras. We got some smart people on here, can we figure it out?

NiNtEnDoFaN

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just happy that there's a volume two! Is there any way to find out how many units the first volume sold?

BasedAnon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Don't know if a thread was necessary as we talked about this in the Volume Covers and Official Art Thread, but you should check out niichan's post there. Otherwise just read the number backwards.
Eugene (3 Years old) 46394 -> 49364
Phil (4 Years old) 34394 ->49343
Phil joined the farm before Eugene, so he's older and his backwards number is lower. Backwards, The last three numbers indicate the order they joined, the first two the farm/generation they belong to. Either that or all 5 numbers backwards indicate their order which would mean the demons have a stupid amount of kids.
Dominic (6 Years old) 07294 -> 49270
Emma (11 Years old) 63194 -> 49136
As you can see Emma, the older ones, number is lower than Dominic's.

@NiNtEnDoFaN
24k in the first chart after three days, 50k in the second after 10 days. Iirc it fell out of the chart after that, but probably sold another 10k+ undercover.

Last edited:

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Don't know if a thread was necessary as we talked about this in the Volume Covers and Official Art Thread, but you should check out niichan's post there. Otherwise just read the number backwards.
Phil joined the farm before Eugene, so he's older and his backwards number is lower. Backwards, The last three numbers indicate the order they joined, the first two the farm/generation they belong to. Either that or all 5 numbers backwards indicate their order which would mean the demons have a stupid amount of kids.
I came to the same conclusion after I saw those volume extras. I made a list where I ordered all the kids with their numbers read backwards (which is what I'll keep doing in this post), and the result is this:

37 - 31 years old - Isabella

81 - unknown years old - Krone

18 - 11 years old - Ray
22 - 11 years old - Norman
36 - 11 years old - Emma
56 - 10 years old - Gilda
61 - 10 years old - Don
84 - 9 years old - Anna

03 - 9 years old - Nate
45 - 7 years old - Rionon
55 - 7 years old - Thoma
70 - 6 years old - Dominic
84 - 6 years old - Connie
95 - 5 years old - Ivet
97 - 5 years old - Mark

05 - 5 years old - Rossi
07 - 5 years old - Cristy
13 - 5 years old - Zeemima
17 - 5 years old - Alicia
24 - 4 years old - Maya
28 - 4 years old - Hans
35 - 4 years old - Naira
40 - 4 years old - Jasper
43 - 4 years old - Phil
47 - 4 years old - Sherry
55 - 3 years old - Vivian
58 - 3 years old - Chamberlain
64 - 3 years old - Eugene
66 - 3 years old - Tom
75 - 3 years old - Damdin
77 - 3 years old - Nina

35 - 1 year old - Carol

Basically, the number read backwards matches the age of every kid (as well as Isabella and Krone) in descending order, meaning the oldest kids have lower numbers.

If we take this as a fact, then there are two main possibilities: either the kids have been steadily raised in farms at the same rate since kid number 00001, or the numbers and the rate of produced kids aren't a perfect match.

Between Isabella's number 48537 (born in year 2014) and Emma's number 49136 (born in year 2034) there have been exactly 599 kids in 20 years. Let's make it a round 600 and - if we assume kids are produced at a regular interval - we get 30 kids per year.

Between Isabella and the youngest numbered kid, Carol, who is 1 year old (born in 2044) and has number 49435, there have been 898 kids. Let's make it 900 for convenience again, and the result is still 30 kids per year.

We know there are nine cribs in Grace Field House, but Emma says that both 1-year-old and 2-year-old kids sleep in them. If we take this to mean that there are either 4 or 5 kids brought to the farm every year and we assume that every farm has an even number of kids, then there must be between 6 and 8 farms in total.

We do know, however, that Grace Field House is regarded as the farm producing the best "goods" among all of them, which might mean that Isabella sacrifices quantity for quality and thus raises a lower number of kids per year. We also know that Isabella's farm is Plant 3, so it's possible that there are only a couple more farms with a higher kid-per-year rate.

Going back to the two possibilities I mentioned above, if we assume the number of produced kids per year hasn't always been steady, it might mean that at one point in the past the number of produced kids was much higher than it has been at least since Isabella was born in 2014 - perhaps due to a boom following a specific event such as the emergence of the demons, which then stabilized at the current 30 per year.

If we instead assume that the rate has been steady and regular since the very first kid, then we can trace back the year when the demons started raising kids in farms. If the story starts at the end of 2045 and there have been more or less 30 kids produced every year, it must mean that "year one" is around...

...AD 396, which means the demons have been eating human kids for about 1650 years. :p

Since that seems a tad unlikely, I believe I'll stick with the first possibility. There's a lot of speculation going on in there, so who knows. I'd love to hear some other theory about the meaning of the numbers.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Wow these images are so good.

Pokusa's conception and drawing is of the charts.

Even the numbering have lot of hidden meanings.

I came to the same conclusion after I saw those volume extras. I made a list where I ordered all the kids with their numbers read backwards (which is what I'll keep doing in this post), and the result is this:

37 - 31 years old - Isabella

81 - unknown years old - Krone

18 - 11 years old - Ray
22 - 11 years old - Norman
36 - 11 years old - Emma
56 - 10 years old - Gilda
61 - 10 years old - Don
84 - 9 years old - Anna

03 - 9 years old - Nate
45 - 7 years old - Rionon
55 - 7 years old - Thoma
70 - 6 years old - Dominic
84 - 6 years old - Connie
95 - 5 years old - Ivet
97 - 5 years old - Mark

05 - 5 years old - Rossi
07 - 5 years old - Cristy
13 - 5 years old - Zeemima
17 - 5 years old - Alicia
24 - 4 years old - Maya
28 - 4 years old - Hans
35 - 4 years old - Naira
40 - 4 years old - Jasper
43 - 4 years old - Phil
47 - 4 years old - Sherry
55 - 3 years old - Vivian
58 - 3 years old - Chamberlain
64 - 3 years old - Eugene
66 - 3 years old - Tom
75 - 3 years old - Damdin
77 - 3 years old - Nina

35 - 1 year old - Carol

Basically, the number read backwards matches the age of every kid (as well as Isabella and Krone) in descending order, meaning the oldest kids have lower numbers.

If we take this as a fact, then there are two main possibilities: either the kids have been steadily raised in farms at the same rate since kid number 00001, or the numbers and the rate of produced kids aren't a perfect match.

Between Isabella's number 48537 (born in year 2014) and Emma's number 49136 (born in year 2034) there have been exactly 599 kids in 20 years. Let's make it a round 600 and - if we assume kids are produced at a regular interval - we get 30 kids per year.

Between Isabella and the youngest numbered kid, Carol, who is 1 year old (born in 2044) and has number 49435, there have been 898 kids. Let's make it 900 for convenience again, and the result is still 30 kids per year.

We know there are nine cribs in Grace Field House, but Emma says that both 1-year-old and 2-year-old kids sleep in them. If we take this to mean that there are either 4 or 5 kids brought to the farm every year and we assume that every farm has an even number of kids, then there must be between 6 and 8 farms in total.

We do know, however, that Grace Field House is regarded as the farm producing the best "goods" among all of them, which might mean that Isabella sacrifices quantity for quality and thus raises a lower number of kids per year. We also know that Isabella's farm is Plant 3, so it's possible that there are only a couple more farms with a higher kid-per-year rate.

Going back to the two possibilities I mentioned above, if we assume the number of produced kids per year hasn't always been steady, it might mean that at one point in the past the number of produced kids was much higher than it has been at least since Isabella was born in 2014 - perhaps due to a boom following a specific event such as the emergence of the demons, which then stabilized at the current 30 per year.

If we instead assume that the rate has been steady and regular since the very first kid, then we can trace back the year when the demons started raising kids in farms. If the story starts at the end of 2045 and there have been more or less 30 kids produced every year, it must mean that "year one" is around...

...AD 396, which means the demons have been eating human kids for about 1650 years. :p

Since that seems a tad unlikely, I believe I'll stick with the first possibility. There's a lot of speculation going on in there, so who knows. I'd love to hear some other theory about the meaning of the numbers.
Good observation there Vandred.

But why do i smell sadism here :teehee.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Wow these images are so good.

Pokusa's conception and drawing is of the charts.

Even the numbering have lot of hidden meanings.

Because. We're Tokyo Ghoul Veterans. We're used to coming up with these kinds of things :p

And I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that already but nii already covered this in the Art Thread.

BasedAnon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
And I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that already but nii already covered this in the Art Thread.
I mentioned him, though his theory is different from the one discussed itt.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, it's cool to see that people have different theories regarding the numbers. I think @Vandred's theory is kind of more likely than mine, but mine is a bit more complicated and maybe Shirai actually made it a bit more difficult than just reading backwards, so who knows :snidely

Also the pattern at this point is pretty obvious. The last three digits tell us how long they've been there

194 (Emma + the 4 others trying to escape) -> 294 (somewhat older kids like Dominic) -> 394 (most of the young children, Phil is among them too)

You can also see a pattern with Krone and Isabella. 584 (Isabella) -> 684 (Krone), so I assume it goes until 984 and then starts with 185 until we eventually reach 194 with Emma and Co.
The first two digits seem to indicate that there are up to 99 kids for each of the latter three digits, until they eventually move up one.
(for example 99194 -> 01294)

Now if you go and count that back.... yeah, looks like the number of "produced" children is incredibly high.
That's the theory I already shared, which leads to a way higher number of produced/raised kids (around 92k I believe). Actually sounds a bit more likely to me than "just" 30 each year since Isabella, doesn't feel like that would be anywhere close enough to feed all the Demons.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@NiNtEnDoFaN
24k in the first chart after three days, 50k in the second after 10 days. Iirc it fell out of the chart after that, but probably sold another 10k+ undercover.
Oh I missed your theory. This one sounds pretty good, but I think it has the same problem as Vandred's if we consider something like 49364 as the number of produced children. I just don't think they would make around 48k until Isabella and then just 30 each year since then. Seems kind of too weird to me.
The farm/generation one sounds more likely to me. That leaves the number of produced kids relatively vague, for all we know there could be up to 99 farms in that case.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
That's pretty neat, never thought to read it backwards.

I just thought it was (2 digits for ID no.)(3 digits for batch no.)

But the reversal makes it look ordered. Perhaps these demons read backwards...

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind

You're not going to let that go, are you? :p

That's the theory I already shared, which leads to a way higher number of produced/raised kids (around 92k I believe). Actually sounds a bit more likely to me than "just" 30 each year since Isabella, doesn't feel like that would be anywhere close enough to feed all the Demons.
Well, it seems to be implied that humans, especially the kids raised with special care in the farms, are reserved for the demons' elite. The others seem to be used to eating other kinds of food.

So the numbers could only account only for the kids intended to feed a specific social class or caste of demons, the ones grown in a certain area of the world or in a particular way, and so on.

Oh I missed your theory. This one sounds pretty good, but I think it has the same problem as Vandred's if we consider something like 49364 as the number of produced children. I just don't think they would make around 48k until Isabella and then just 30 each year since then. Seems kind of too weird to me.
The farm/generation one sounds more likely to me. That leaves the number of produced kids relatively vague, for all we know there could be up to 99 farms in that case.
What, you don't like the idea of demons being around since the Roman Empire? Maybe once the kids escape, they find out that the demons have lived as a secret society in an otherwise perfectly normal world, and no one believes that there are farms where human kids are grown as food. :nerd

On a slightly more serious note, I agree that the difference between almost 50000 total kids and 30 of them being produced every year is odd to consider, especially since I don't get the impression that the demons have been around for centuries. That's quite the big difference in numbers, so I'm certainly open to more complex variants like in your interpretation.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Another topic that could branch off of this current one is why exactly the intelligence of a subject determines it's value (and flavour?). Why exactly do the demons crave intelligent food?

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
You're not going to let that go, are you? :p

Well, it seems to be implied that humans, especially the kids raised with special care in the farms, are reserved for the demons' elite. The others seem to be used to eating other kinds of food.

So the numbers could only account only for the kids intended to feed a specific social class or caste of demons, the ones grown in a certain area of the world or in a particular way, and so on.

What, you don't like the idea of demons being around since the Roman Empire? Maybe once the kids escape, they find out that the demons have lived as a secret society in an otherwise perfectly normal world, and no one believes that there are farms where human kids are grown as food. :nerd

On a slightly more serious note, I agree that the difference between almost 50000 total kids and 30 of them being produced every year is odd to consider, especially since I don't get the impression that the demons have been around for centuries. That's quite the big difference in numbers, so I'm certainly open to more complex variants like in your interpretation.
Maybe they were always there and came overground only in 2015 like the Vampires in Owari No Seraph.
Another topic that could branch off of this current one is why exactly the intelligence of a subject determines it's value (and flavour?). Why exactly do the demons crave intelligent food?
Maybe they absorb their intelligence.It is also possible.

Aonori

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Maybe they have some illthid (from dark elf trilogy exile book) resemblences when it comes to how they need to eat some sort of brain cells to keep themselves healthy? And if so could the elite demons have some sort of brainwaving powers? Seems very plausible.

PaperKnights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a different note, I just saw this now and I think- the last page of that imgur, confirms my theory that the number on the pen is a coordinate. Promised "B06-34--". The beginnings of the coordinate in place of 'Neverland'- Neverland where children never have to grow up (in this sense, Neverland because grown up children get eaten- a place where they're safe from 'adults'). So the coordinates point to the place called Neverland.

Huh.

Nice.

BUT BECAUSE THIS THREAD IS BASED ON THE NUMBERS, WOO, NUMBERS:
lmao i'll edit this later with a theory once i've figured one out l m a o

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
On a different note, I just saw this now and I think- the last page of that imgur, confirms my theory that the number on the pen is a coordinate. Promised "B06-34--". The beginnings of the coordinate in place of 'Neverland'- Neverland where children never have to grow up (in this sense, Neverland because grown up children get eaten- a place where they're safe from 'adults'). So the coordinates point to the place called Neverland.

Huh.

Nice.

BUT BECAUSE THIS THREAD IS BASED ON THE NUMBERS, WOO, NUMBERS:
lmao i'll edit this later with a theory once i've figured one out l m a o
The Promised Land will be a place where Humans are free, that's for certain (Or, this manga could go down that dark path and have the promised land be death :p).

PaperKnights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Promised Land will be a place where Humans are free, that's for certain (Or, this manga could go down that dark path and have the promised land be death :p).
asdfghjkl n o o o o why would you d o this to me
(lmao but yes agreed i was reminded of that one korean manwha on naver- can't remember it's name but a post apocalyptic world where someone tries to find this utopia, and when they finally get there there's nothing there except a ruin) (lmao)

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
asdfghjkl n o o o o why would you d o this to me
(lmao but yes agreed i was reminded of that one korean manwha on naver- can't remember it's name but a post apocalyptic world where someone tries to find this utopia, and when they finally get there there's nothing there except a ruin) (lmao)
Well I think about the world beyond the farms, and I see abandoned cities the size of New York, now just lawless wastelands. And my reaction to these number theories is to just assume that something of this possible sale won't be touched on until much later.