The ratfox thread

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Thank you so much Ratfox! :thumbs

So, if Raikiri mixes Japanese and Chinese readings, then what is the case with the famous "harakiri" in Greece, only seen as "sepukku" in American movies and manga... So, Kagekiri, cannot in any way be perceived as "shadowblade"? :sweat Man, that should teach me a lesson for making a cool sounding name without being sure of what it means and also trying to explain it to other people... :scry
There was this move I can't quite spell in romaji, though I can give you an idea of --> tatsumakisenpuukyaku <-- which was Ruy/Ken's Hurricane Kick. Seeing as how I don't look past anything Japanese nowadays, I found out it can be broken in parts like tatsu, maki, senpuu, kyaku. So, what do those mean? Doesn't Lee have a move called "Konoha Senpuu"? Wasn't that "Konoha's Wind"? (Tekken's Kuma makes me relate this to a fart, but, oh well). I think there was a wind orb in Onimusha called "shipuu"... Anyway, it's your fault all these came in my mind (and consequently in your thread) since you brought up Street Fighter :p

As far as WoW goes, I'm not starting an alt any time soon (after all the Blood Elves won't be in the game anytime soon), which means we can keep this discussiong going and see where it'll take us (Street Fighter, cute Japanese girls with high-pitched voices, Sakura (SF), Sakura (N), Ino, cute manga girls etc. etc.)

So, Kageyumi, huh? Well, the "yumi" part I've seen before for one (in some anime, girl name). Shadowbow has also been one of the things I've been thinking of, but in Greece we are more or less the opposite of China when it comes to names and the such (we haven't always been like that, the ancient Greeks were even worse than the Chinese, though usually when refering to Gods. Cheesiness could be a universal characteristic of ancient civilizations...), which means I always have some sort of inner conflict when thinking of names like "Shadowbow"... In the end, WoW is supposedly set in one of those fantasy world where cheesy, over-exaggerated names where casual. Please bear with me and let's talk about this more :sweat Inkyuu sounds weird... I like the "kyuu" part but... Well, my hunter would have to be Undead to have such a name (Kageyumi would be fitting for a Night Elf, implying being stealthy as a shadow, or Undead, refering to the dark, shadowy nature of the undead). So, let's scrap the dark part for the hunter. My hunter will be an Orc, so think of something Orcish if possible (words with (G)s and (R)s and (K)s ). Keep in mind that the Hunter is in sync with nature, he can smell the opponent in the air, he can see a group of people 12 hours after they passed from a place just by looking at the ground after they've passed over it... A hunter loves his pet, which means he respects his prey and doesn't kill for fun. He might also be a skinner, to use the body of the fallen animal and in this way show his gratitude, show the spirit that it's life wasn't taken on a whim, that it was the need which guided the lethal arrow. If you could think of a name for a cat type pet too (though I might choose something else, in which case I'll contact you, though if it's a scorpion I'll name it Sasori, hands down :D ).
Shingo would mean so many things huh? Any place I can look at for meanings? You said that if we assume "shin" means "divine" that would lead us to someone feeling self-important, should I presume "go" means "self"? Also, should I presume, "Shin Akuma" is "True Akuma" unlike the cool-but-puzzling "Divine Akuma" I had in mind? Well, "shingo" sounds awfuly nice (and is the name of my level 2 Paladin in Ahn Qiraj), but after your explanation (and not knowing which version of the name to pick with 43 possible meanings...) let us leave it outside of this conversation untill I have found, read and contemptlated on those meanings :amuse
So, Kagema sounds nice, but let us think of some more names... I'll include some more elements of the warlock nature I'd like you to think of: a sadomasochist (think "Life Tap" which makes him lose life and gain mana, and also "Hellfire" which is an AoE damaging him and others around him), corrupted to the bone, dark, vile, (master) demonologist, evil as hell, hellfire, shadowbolt, Infernal, Doom Guard, Curse of Doom, Curse of Agony...
Take you time and reply to the Paladin question, I think I've covered the aspects of his personality I mostly cared about :amuse

Ratfox, I know you are a busy person, and if you think that's all kinda too much, I'll ask for permission to copy my posts here to a new thread in the translations section :D Should you wish to keep the discussion going here, I'll just tell you how much I appreciate your hellp and thank you for your time spent helping me :D :thumbs

ratfox

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Anax said:
So, if Raikiri mixes Japanese and Chinese readings, then what is the case with the famous "harakiri" in Greece, only seen as "sepukku" in American movies and manga... So, Kagekiri, cannot in any way be perceived as "shadowblade"? :sweat Man, that should teach me a lesson for making a cool sounding name without being sure of what it means and also trying to explain it to other people... :scry
Simple. harakiri is the japanese reading of 腹切, and seppuku is the chinese reading of 切腹. The proper word is seppuku,
so they use it in movies. I don't know why westerners say harakiri, since japanese never do. But it's actually the same thing,
like in english "orthograph" means "writing right". I've checked again about Kagekiri, and the kanji 刃 which means blade can
apparently also be pronounced "kiri" according to my dictionary. So stretching it a bit, Kagekiri would also be 陰刃, or shadowblade. :amuse
If you want to change your mind, 霧 is said mist and is also read "kiri". So 陰霧 means shadowmist :tem

Anax said:
There was this move I can't quite spell in romaji, though I can give you an idea of --> tatsumakisenpuukyaku <-- which was Ruy/Ken's Hurricane Kick.
Full score for the romaji! 竜巻 (tatsumaki in japanese reading) is tornado, litterally "coiling dragon". 旋風 (senpuu in chinese reading) is whirlwind, "rotating wind". 脚 (kyaku in chinese reading) is "leg", so I guess it means kick.

Anax said:
So, Kageyumi, huh? Well, the "yumi" part I've seen before for one (in some anime, girl name). Shadowbow has also been one of the things I've been thinking of, but in Greece we are more or less the opposite of China when it comes to names and the such (we haven't always been like that, the ancient Greeks were even worse than the Chinese, though usually when refering to Gods. Cheesiness could be a universal characteristic of ancient civilizations...), which means I always have some sort of inner conflict when thinking of names like "Shadowbow"... In the end, WoW is supposedly set in one of those fantasy world where cheesy, over-exaggerated names where casual.
Well, with name like Ironforge, Stormwind, and the like, I'd say shadowbow fits all right :amuse
Also, it's rather common in english compared to most languages to just stick two words together.

Anax said:
Please bear with me and let's talk about this more :sweat Inkyuu sounds weird... I like the "kyuu" part but... Well, my hunter would have to be Undead to have such a name (Kageyumi would be fitting for a Night Elf, implying being stealthy as a shadow, or Undead, refering to the dark, shadowy nature of the undead). So, let's scrap the dark part for the hunter. My hunter will be an Orc, so think of something Orcish if possible (words with (G)s and (R)s and (K)s ).
I would have thought japanese wasn't guttural enough for orcs ;) But still, here's something good:
Here are the different ways of writing simply "hunter" in japanese:

狩人 or 猟人 (hunt-person), pronounced "kariudo", "karyudo" or "karyuudo"
弋人 (the first character seems to have no meaning?? ) pronounced "yokujin"
猟師 (hunt-master) pronounced "ryuushi"

I think "kariudo" is rather good for an orc... :)

Anax said:
Keep in mind that the Hunter is in sync with nature, he can smell the opponent in the air, he can see a group of people 12 hours after they passed from a place just by looking at the ground after they've passed over it... A hunter loves his pet, which means he respects his prey and doesn't kill for fun. He might also be a skinner, to use the body of the fallen animal and in this way show his gratitude, show the spirit that it's life wasn't taken on a whim, that it was the need which guided the lethal arrow.
With all these possiblities, you can choose any japanese-sounding word, and I'll explain why it applies to an orc hunter :smile-big

Anax said:
If you could think of a name for a cat type pet too (though I might choose something else, in which case I'll contact you, though if it's a scorpion I'll name it Sasori, hands down :D ).
Don't forget you can have three pets! "Tora" means tiger... "kuma" means bear... "kumo" means spider...

Anax said:
Shingo would mean so many things huh? Any place I can look at for meanings? You said that if we assume "shin" means "divine" that would lead us to someone feeling self-important, should I presume "go" means "self"? Also, should I presume, "Shin Akuma" is "True Akuma" unlike the cool-but-puzzling "Divine Akuma" I had in mind?
It was indeed "True Akuma", although in japanese is name has been "Gouki" all along, so he was "Shin Gouki".

Anax said:
So, Kagema sounds nice, but let us think of some more names... I'll include some more elements of the warlock nature I'd like you to think of: a sadomasochist (think "Life Tap" which makes him lose life and gain mana, and also "Hellfire" which is an AoE damaging him and others around him), corrupted to the bone, dark, vile, (master) demonologist, evil as hell, hellfire, shadowbolt, Infernal, Doom Guard, Curse of Doom, Curse of Agony...
Same as the orc hunter :smile-big

Anax said:
Ratfox, I know you are a busy person, and if you think that's all kinda too much, I'll ask for permission to copy my posts here to a new thread in the translations section :D Should you wish to keep the discussion going here, I'll just tell you how much I appreciate your help and thank you for your time spent helping me :D :thumbs
Well, I'm not sure how it would fit in the translation section :notrust we can keep it here, I don't mind...

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi ratfox.

You like panda? Why?

Why the name ratfox??

Can you tell me something about your background? Like how many members are there in your family etc.?

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Do you know of a place that I can put simple words like "shadow", "cat" etc. and get a result in hiragana, kanji, romaji (either all of the three or just romaji), for me to do my research and then be able to ask solid questions?

Yokujin sounds so damn good... Perhaps this one Orc was one of advanced bloodline (pun intented), thus receiving a more subtle name. Concering the relation of orcs and Japanese though, you should keep in mind that the Warcraft Orcs have the Blademasters with names like Genjuros (meaning?), though, yeah they have names such as "Grom Hellscream" too, which kinda makes little sense... Oh, well :p

Kagekiri also means "Shadow Mist"? I'll have to view this page from my home where I can actually view the Japanese, so that I pick the character I like most. On stretching things though I have to object :p In Tatsumakisenpuukyaku, you have two words for whirlwhind put together! If that isn't an over exaggeration then what is? You have words that mix Japanese with Chinese pronounciation and the such and you say we are the ones stretching things? No, we are creating art, which I'm sure the renowned artist Deidara would aprove of  :plot Lastly on this, should Kagekiri also mean "Shadowmist" I might as well name my Cat Kagekiri, my Wolf Akamaru or {white}maru and my Scorpion, Sasori :D A bear would qualify for Kuma, though I'd hate it been assosiated with Tekken's Kuma... Well, I'll think about those... I don't have a hunter yet and I know nothing of pets, the rpg element is often enough of a reason for me (if not more) than dps and the like :tem

Well, Kagema qualifies for a Warlock name (loved your explaination of the name). I might as well stick with that (we'll see).

Just made two characters with two names I don't know what they mean, just to save them in case they prove good. An elf Rogue in Ahn Qiraj named "Shii" (Shi = death, was taken) and an Undead Warlock in Genjuros, Shikage (death's shadow?). Please, analyze, explain, refine, fix them and tell me :D Kagema is still getting all the more irresistable... *proceeds in saving that one too*

As for Ironforge etc. and putting two words together. In Greek it often sounds hilarious making a compound word out of two words. Shadowblade is still two words in Greek (Σκιερή Λεπίδα/Skih-er-ee Leh-pih-thah [th, as in there]/shadowy blade or Λεπίδα Σκιάς/Leh-pih-thah Skih-as/Blade [made of] Shadow, try to make ii Σκιολεπίδα/Skih-oh-leh-pih-thah/Shadowblade, that is sounds SO hilarious I nearly pissed myself laughing... Where am I getting at? What it's like in Japanese? Do they often combine words as in "Shadowblade"?

Ok, that's all for now... THANK YOU!! I'll rep the hell out of you :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
^ ^

^

Such a contrast of posts.

*Just commenting - and teasing.*

ratfox

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
eileenting88 said:
You like panda? Why?
Hmmm... They're funny?
Actually, I just like the dancing panda gif very much :)

eileenting88 said:
Why the name ratfox??
I got the name from HunterXhunter... Near the beginning, it's a kind of
monster which can change appearance at will. I didn't think too much about it, though.
It's just I needed a coolish name and this one fit :tem

eileenting88 said:
Can you tell me something about your background? Like how many members are there in your family etc.?
Hmm... I have a sister and two parents, but since I'm a grad student, I live in my own place now.
I've got a girlfriend, also a grad student, but she lives somewhere else, most of the time.

[br]Posted at: 2006-01-25, 20:50:53_________________________________________________
Anax said:
Do you know of a place that I cane put simple words like "shadow", "cat" etc. and get a result in hiragana, kanji, romaji (either all of the three or just romaji), for me to do my research and then be able to ask solid questions?
There's a fantastic place for this: http://www.nihongoresources.com/
Basically, it's a japanese/english dictionary on the web, with lots of search features.
It uses the same standard free use dictionary I've got on my PDA.

Anax said:
Yokujin sounds so damn good... Perhaps this one Orc was one of advanced bloodline (pun intented), thus receiving a more subtle name.
There are at least trolls named Vol'jin, Sen'jin and the like, so Yokujin could probably fit, even for an orc...

Anax said:
Kagekiri also means shadow mist? I'll have to view this page from my home where I can actually view the japanese, so that I pick the character I like most. On stretching things though I have to object :p In Tatsumakisenpuukyaku, you have two words for whirlwhind put tigether! If that isn't an over exaggeration the what is?
Well, I guess they needed ryu and ken to shout a word with each hit, so the name had to be that long :tem

Anax said:
Just made two characters with two names I don't know what they mean, just to save them in case they prove good. An elf Rogue in Ahn Qiraj named "Shii" (Shi = death, was taken) and an Undead Warlock in Genjuros, Shikage (death's shadow?). Please, analyze, explain, refine, fix them and tell me :D Kagema is still getting all the more irresistable... *proceeds in saving that one too*
Shii also has different meanings, like selfishness, thinking and surroundings :p
Shikage... Yes, death's shadow.

Anax said:
What it's like in Japanese? Do they often combine words as in "Shadowblade"?
All the time! 銀行 means bank and is actually silver-going, 音楽 means music and is actually sound-enjoy...
Most words are just two meanings sticking together. The weird part is that like in chinese, they often have
two words with the same meaning stuck together, so as not to have a single character. For instance,
蜘蛛 means spider, and both character mean spider. And even, you never meet them separately, always together!
So, to say spider, you need to say spider-spider :s

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
How often do you get together with your girlfriend? I've been in long distance relationships and they can be pretty hard at times.

ratfox

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Gold Knight said:
How often do you get together with your girlfriend? I've been in long distance relationships and they can be pretty hard at times.
She doesn't live that far, we see each other every two weeks minimum for the whole week-end.
We also phone each other every day or so... For the moment it's all right.

In a way, it makes every time we meet special :)

jiraiya001

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hahaha! Kage Bushin solves all problems! Thanks for all your hard work! How do you go to japan so often? I hear it's expensive to fly to and to stay at. I want to go, but lack of funds ...

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Once more, thank you for your time Ratfox, I really appreciate it.

So, let's take a short break from all that language stuff :D

Tell us: How would you feel if I were to tell you your alias (ratfox) and avatar (a dancing panda) influence my idea of you and in the long run, my mental image of you? The more I see this Panda the more I see you as a Panda-Rat-Fox entity that speaks in English but writes in Kanji!! Ok, I can't say I think in the most common of ways, but still, people just have to make some connection between your alias and your character, your avatar and your looks. Personally I don't feel like an anax (king) but it's what I'm usually called by close friends and has an usual sound for a modern Greek alias (the ending "x") too. As for the cat in my avatar let me tell you that the more I log into this site and see it, the more I relate to it and expect to see it in the mirror soon. That cat is so beautifull... I wouldn't mind becoming him (hopefully it's a "he").
Your turn!

@GK --> Where you comparing my post with Eileen's? :sweat

EDIT/ Shingo, Shii... I pick random words and they end up ending with something revovling around "self" and "selfishness"... Maybe there's a hidden meaning here for me to grasp :p

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Yep Anax XD I was just teasing ya guys.

Hey Ratfox, you doin' okay? =/

HellbentTheGreatShinobi

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
I hate to be a burden...Just a random question and I hope someone will answer me... What Japanese word to they use which means 'legacy' and 'son'? And which of the two did Kishimoto officially used in the manga? I'm not Japanese so please pardon me and thanks in advance...Err, I forgot the exact chapter but I'm sure it was way back when Itachi and Kisame came to Konoha to find Naruto.

ratfox

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
HellbentTheGreatShinobi said:
I hate to be a burden...Just a random question and I hope someone will answer me... What Japanese word to they use which means 'legacy' and 'son'? And which of the two did Kishimoto officially used in the manga? I'm not Japanese so please pardon me and thanks in advance...Err, I forgot the exact chapter but I'm sure it was way back when Itachi and Kisame came to Konoha to find Naruto.
Sorry about not answering sooner... The word they use is 遺産 ("isan"), which according to my dictionary,
means "inheritance, bequest". To be precise, the first of the two characters means "bequeath; leave behind;
reserve", and the second one means "products; bear; give birth; yield; childbirth; native; property".

There doesn't seem to be anything in this that would mean that Naruto is the son of the fourth. But,
one way or the other, It is a rather strange way to speak of somebody.

ratfox

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Okay, I put all my translations in the Naruto Drafts section...

I'm as astonished by the number of chapters I've translated as
by how the first translations were crappy :sweat

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Thanks, Ratfox! And lol... it's called improvement!

Had to start somewhere right? ;)