Games The RPG thread

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Should definitely be getting DA: I in a few days. Pretty excited and after getting to level 20 in Destiny, I cant wait to finally be playing something else.

I was running through DA:O but it looks pretty gross on ps3 now, lol.
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,755
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I was running through DA:O but it looks pretty gross on ps3 now, lol.
DA:O was a horrible port. It is so buggy and the lags are no joke.
It is playable but it was much better on the PC.

Looking at the designs of DAI, I am starting to lose faith in BioWare.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Lords of the Falling has some serious performance issues due to DRM bullshit. Great business decisions ...
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
DA:O was a horrible port. It is so buggy and the lags are no joke.
It is playable but it was much better on the PC.

Looking at the designs of DAI, I am starting to lose faith in BioWare.
My faith in them is long gone. The end of Mass Effect 3 combined with Dragon Age: 2 splashed cold water on my concept that BioWare can be blindly trusted to make great games.

That being said I'm cautiously optimistic. It's not going to be the RPG I want it to be, I've accepted that. The more gameplay of it I see the more apparent it is that this is really an action RPG and I was hoping for a modernization of the classic KOTOR and Baldur's Gate formula; like the first Dragon Age was. And everything I've seen indicates Dragon Age Inquisition is just not going to be that game.

But that doesn't mean it can't be a good game. To me it actually looks like a deeper, more fleshed out, and better written version of Dragon's Dogma. Which was a game I had a great time with. So maybe I can have a great time with this one too.

That being said I'm not expecting it to deliver the moon and the stars. After all, what was the last super hyped game that fully delivered?
 
Last edited:

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,755
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
My faith in them is long gone. The end of Mass Effect 3 combined with Dragon Age: 2 splashed cold water on my concept that BioWare can be blindly trusted to make great games.

That being said I'm not expecting it to deliver the moon and the stars. After all, what was the last super hyped game that fully delivered?
While the end of ME3 was indeed horrible, the game itself was a masterpiece if you ask me. Pretty much every single second until that certain point was awesome.
For the record I am still going with the indoctrination theory. It makes more sense than what BW was plotting.
That and I still want my house on Rannoch with Tali!

If you ask me, GTA V was hyped and delivered. Sure it as still not as good as SA but it delivered.
That and I hope ATLUS is still as good as it used to be. I have high hopes for Persona 5.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
While the end of ME3 was indeed horrible, the game itself was a masterpiece if you ask me. Pretty much every single second until that certain point was awesome.
For the record I am still going with the indoctrination theory. It makes more sense than what BW was plotting.
Yeah it was great right until they screwed up. I equate that to cooking a perfect beautiful steak and then dropping in an overused cat litter box. The proverbial meal was ultimately just as ruined as it would have been had they burned it to crisp.

That and I still want my house on Rannoch with Tali!
You and me both....

If you ask me, GTA V was hyped and delivered. Sure it as still not as good as SA but it delivered.
That and I hope ATLUS is still as good as it used to be. I have high hopes for Persona 5.
GTA delivered more than most but the GTA Online side of that hype was a pretty big fail.

As for Atlus, I don't feel like they promise that much. They're approach is like whoever does the Tales games, they aren't trying to market it as one of the great videogames in history. They are more like "This is the next Persona game!" and don't seem very inclined to sell it as more than that. Disgaea is the same way.
 
Last edited:

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,755
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah it was great right until they screwed up. I equate that to cooking a perfect beautiful steak and then dropping in an overused cat litter box. The proverbial meal was ultimately just as ruined as it would have been had they burned it to crisp.

You and me both....

GTA delivered more than most but the GTA Online side of that hype was a pretty big fail.

As for Atlus, I don't feel like they promise that much. They're approach is like whoever does the Tales games, they aren't trying to market it as one of the great videogames in history. They are more like "This is the next Persona game!" and don't seem very inclined to sell it as more than that. Disgaea is the same way.
Agreed. So many possibilities and then this...

:comfort Tali best girl!

True but I don't really play online based games. I usually only care for the single player campaign and that one was great.

Well they don't hype it on their own. The fans do that and the games speak for themselves. Persona 3 and especially 4 Golden were masterpieces. Tales of games (apart from Xillia) are usually awesome too.
Hah Disgaea... SO many awesome jokes, such a simple yet complex fighting system. So addicting!
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Not too long ago I was playing Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment. Really not a very good videogame but the translation was absolutely horrendous. We're talking google translate bad. Apparently it was bad enough that the producer basically owned up to it.

"Ah, right, the English translations in Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment weren’t that good, huh? Actually, there’s a reason for that, but it’s not something that I can talk about," Futami said to us. "But we’re aware of the root of the problem and what I can say is that this time around with Lost Song, we’re doing things differently. Fans can expect much better translations as the localization process will be handled very differently. Please look forward to it."

It's refreshing to see someone just straight up admit when something went wrong.

---------- Post added November 11, 2014 at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was November 01, 2014 at 09:53 AM ----------

A wave of early reviews for Dragon Age Inquisition came out today. The overall takeaway seems to be that it turned out insanely well.

Reading them has really shot up my expectations for the game quite a lot. Not because of the overall positivity so much as the specifics details about the game which I learned about in those articles. The highlights that interested me were....

- Healing Spells have been removed.
- The tactical camera works.
- The characters are extremely entertaining.
- The world is absurdly massive and filled with fun stuff to do.

There were some criticisms too but all seemed like the things that aren't major concerns to me. Such as that it's too big, the main story is lacking in some areas, and there are some bug issues in the final build the reviewers played. I never understood the"too big" criticism of open world games. That's may be a problem for reviewers who have to rush through a game but for me it's just means I got more for my money. The main story being lacking isn't ideal but it's a fantasy video game so the bar it needs to clear is pretty low (Skyrim's story was not Shakespeare). And bug issues are a non-factor for me. I've played all of Bethesda's open world games, do your worst Bioware.

So, yeah, I guess this means I'm climbing aboard hype train.:amuse


​

Toot Toot!:p
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Yes I can see myself inside my room for the foreseeable future.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Alright my order of the strategy guide was confirmed for Release Date Delivery so I should be able to get and starting playing Dragon Age Inquisition on Tuesday once it comes out. Im so excited.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've been refreshing my memory on Dragon Age stuff by completing some partial playthroughs of the Dragon Age games i'd started a while ago. Just beat Dragon Age 2 and I plan to try Origins next; or get as far as I can before Tuesday.

Replay Dragon Age 2 was a pretty odd experience. I've read a lot of articles that defending the game and I was curious how it would be now that I wouldn't be going into it with super high expectations. My conclusion was that it's still pretty bad, just in different ways than I remembered. I was so upset with the combat and inventory at the time I didn't fully absorb the sheer amount of reused environments and the very uneven cast.

Anders, Fenris, and Avaline were just not great characters. Merrill and Isabella were alright but each had some problems; both seemed more successful at providing fun banter dialogue than good character arcs. Verric pretty much carried the game; which should be a good sign for DA:I.

Yes I can see myself inside my room for the foreseeable future.
I have a strong feeling that I will be getting very little sleep after Tuesday.:amuse

Alright my order of the strategy guide was confirmed for Release Date Delivery so I should be able to get and starting playing Dragon Age Inquisition on Tuesday once it comes out. Im so excited.
Me too. I actually pre-ordered the deluxe edition on PSN so I can watch that timer counting down until showtime.

4 d 11:08:42 remaining and counting:^_^
 
Last edited:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Dragon age inquisition is the game i waited the most in the last two years. I m a huge fan of dao and i even liked da2. I can t wait to see morrigan again. Big fangasm in preparation. I will likely play as a qunari. I still remember the hard battle with the qunari in da2.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Dragon age inquisition is the game i waited the most in the last two years. I m a huge fan of dao and i even liked da2. I can t wait to see morrigan again. Big fangasm in preparation. I will likely play as a qunari. I still remember the hard battle with the qunari in da2.
Wow I tied so hard to remember a "hard" fight in DA2 but I only remember the high dragon fight. It was a really easy game even on Nightmare. Origins was damn hard sometimes though.
The problem is that I have to complete shitty Far Cry so fast in order to play DAI without worrying about anything else. It's Far Cry 3 with elephants anyway, shouldn't be really hard ;p
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow I tied so hard to remember a "hard" fight in DA2 but I only remember the high dragon fight. It was a really easy game even on Nightmare. Origins was damn hard sometimes though.
The problem is that I have to complete shitty Far Cry so fast in order to play DAI without worrying about anything else. It's Far Cry 3 with elephants anyway, shouldn't be really hard ;p
I think he was probably talking about the duel with the qunari leader. If you were leveled as a AOE caster or Two-hander based warrior that fight was nearly impossible. Especially if you go into it low on potions. It was mostly a pretty easy game, but that fight was no joke. It was actually much harder than the high dragon.

---------- Post added November 16, 2014 at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was November 14, 2014 at 09:35 PM ----------

The Dragon Age Inquisition pre-load on PS4 is live!
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Green with envy, my DA:I ps4 is still sitting on AMZN and oddly no RDD...if I truly have to wait until Thursday...

Ive been avoiding video...but I hope it does look significantly better than DA:O and please no random pop-ins during cutscenes.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Green with envy, my DA:I ps4 is still sitting on AMZN and oddly no RDD...if I truly have to wait until Thursday...

Ive been avoiding video...but I hope it does look significantly better than DA:O and please no random pop-ins during cutscenes.
Whole new engine this time so the old problems should be gone. Replaced with new problems.:amuse

I'm going to miss the hilarious blood splatter though. It was hysterical in the first and second games how if you kill one darkspawn you end up looking like you took a chainsaw to a barrel of ketchup.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh nice, my DA:I is actually shipping soon on AMZN, so maybe I will get it tomorrow afterall.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh nice, my DA:I is actually shipping soon on AMZN, so maybe I will get it tomorrow afterall.
They are usually pretty good about delivering stuff on specific dates.

Have you checked out the Dragon Keep thing yet? It's actually pretty cool the number of decisions that you set flags for in the tapestry. I'm not sure how many of those plot details it's actually going to make use of but it's pretty impressive just the same. There was stuff in there I barely even remembered doing.

---------- Post added November 18, 2014 at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was November 17, 2014 at 07:32 PM ----------

Man, I'm loving DA:I. Between last night and this evening I've put about six hours into it and it is one damn good video game; and one I could easy see myself putting several hundred hours into. It's different than I expected in some ways but so very good.

The biggest thing I'm liking is the no healing. I've been playing on hard as a mage and the way healing has been replaced by more powerful barrier spells is just way more fun. Traps and wards cover a much wider area and are more usable. Spell walls are situational but when they are usable they are a huge advantage. Once I got the hang of the tactical camera I could begin to see how they designed it so clever strategy is easy to pull off.

There are a few things they could have done to make the tactical camera even better, such as being able to set more than one action at a time for each character and making it so you could zoom out more, but it's great even as it is.
 
Last edited:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Dragon Age Inquisition is really good. Even on PC, it works pretty well, although I couldn't play it in the highest setting available. I wonder if I could allocate my time so I can finish this game in two weeks at most.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I love this song in Dragon Age so much.

I have 12 hours of playtime. Getting the required amount of power sounds annoying at first, but it feels like we get power from doing so many things. Progress wise, my 12 hours is me doing tons of random sidequest in the Hinderlands, I want to get the whole map uncovered and lots of the sidequests done before moving on. Last story moment was getting Sera.



Also why do good characters remain unplayable :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top