Finished Dragon Age 2 twice now.Got to say,I'm kinda dissappointed about Dragon Age 2.I agree with AlB,they shouldn't have made Origins so great,they should've known that there's the risk that DA 2 will not rise up to the expectations of the fans of DA:O.And to be honest,IMHO it didn't rise to my expectations.
First thing I'm gonna talk about is the graphic part of the game.IMO it is not a huge difference between DA:O and DA 2.Minor changes there and there,but mostly,it's the same graphics as in DA:O.Improved by a little bit,however even though it's been improved little,it requires quite a powerful pc to run at max details.The only MAJOR thing that made me a little bit mad was the fact that almost EVERY location in DA 2 is THE SAME >.<' .And I really mean it,every door,windows,whatsover is the same.Every freakin' dungeon is the same,doesn't matter you enter a dungeon in Kirkwall or enter a dungeon outside the town(forgot that name's place),it's the same.Sometimes,at first you might notice that it's not the same...well,cuz it's not.Some dungeons (or places)are INVERTED,yeah just like that.I first noticed when I had finished killing everyone in a dungeon and exited it.Upon entering another dungeon,I freakin' entered the dungeon through the exact place I exited the last dungeon.Freakin' awesome.Not.
Second,the gameplay.This is where the improvement is most noticeable.The attacks are a bit more diversed,and they're not so monotone like in DA:O (play with a mage in DA:O and then play with a mage in DA 2 and you'll notice the differences).Overall,the gameplay was improved,yet still one thing I missed dearely in DA 2 are the spells combos.Always playing a mage in games,I like to combine my spells,to be as devastative as possible.However,in DA 2 we no longer have the ability to combine spells and such,instead a new system has been implemented : cross-class combo.Basically(just like the name says) it's a combo you can do with different classes(eg: mage uses spells,leaves enemy disoriented -> warrior uses ability which inflicts 50% damage on disoriented enemies, and so on).A poor system,since the cross-class combo can only be used ONCE (meaning,after the warrior strikes the disoriented enemy,he's no longer a valid target for cross-class combo),a one-hit combo.Lame.
The music and the sounds within the game were,IMHO,pretty useless.I only heard music when fighting(wonder why the rest of the game,when I wasn't fighting,I didn't hear a single music),and they're...ok for the atmosphere of the game.Not too diversed,I think I heard in a session of playing @5 hours the same music fifty times.Not too good.But overall,the sound part of the game was mediocre.Just like the game itself.
Now,about the last thing I'll discuss: the atmosphere of the game.Almost non existant,IMHO.There is no sense of rush(like in DA:O),there is no sense of choice(regardless of your choices,you end up on the same ending,there's only 1 ending),you might as well kill everyone and feel no remorse,since the ending is the same.Also,it's not got that ....eerie atmosphere like the first DA,where you could feel the atmosphere flowing into you...
So,compared to DA:O,DA 2 is a very mediocre game,that it simply not as good as the first one.If you compare,however,DA 2 with other RPG's,you'll be astonished to remark that it's actually a very good RPG.
Now,I can barely wait to sink my teeth in The Witcher 2.MAN,the gameplay's on youtube are pure awesomeness,I guess I'll buy the Collector's Edition,though I'm not sure.Still,it's SO awesome,the graphics are MUCH better that DA 2(at first sight),the gameplay is SO better that DA 2 (at first sight),and the maturity of the game plus the choices you make in the game really matter(unlike DA 2).Gosh,I'm over-excited about this game.I even forgot I've got a pretty weak pc.
Edit : I'll recomend a classic RPG for you guys,that's actually got a bit of an adventure taste to it : Septerra Core Legacy Of The Creator.I think I'll actually start the game again,at first I found it impossible to play the game,but after gaining courage,I played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,the gameplay is quite classic,the graphics are pretty good for the year it was launched,what kept me playing was the story and the feeling,the atmosphere of the game.I'm really into that game.
PS : Might as well play Planescape: Torment until other good RPGs appear.That game's considered the father of RPGs.