Games The RPG thread

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
For anyone who haven't tried any of the Persona series, Persona 3: FES is coming to the PSN store next week. It will only cost $9.99 so I would highly recommend you guys check it out. :thumbs
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
For anyone who haven't tried any of the Persona series, Persona 3: FES is coming to the PSN store next week. It will only cost $9.99 so I would highly recommend you guys check it out. :thumbs

I will play it after Disgaea :super​
 

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
Among my the other games I plan to play after the final exam, I'm currently thinking about the Witcher (1&2), it seems to be a very good RPG series. Did anyone play it already ?

How is it compared to Dragon Age series for example ?
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Among my the other games I plan to play after the final exam, I'm currently thinking about the Witcher (1&2), it seems to be a very good RPG series. Did anyone play it already ?

How is it compared to Dragon Age series for example ?
Both Witcher games are good dark fantasy RPGs, though to be honest I don't think it's quite as good as review sites say they are. The plot-lines branch and they are well written but the combat is clunky and you don't have much freedom. Each chapter basically drops you in a zone where you can operate freely until the story moves to the next chapter and new zone.

In terms of how it compares to Dragon Age. It's a lot darker and a much more plot oriented. With Dragon Age much of the experience was driven by companion characters, both Witcher games are far more solitary. Gearalt tends to fight his battles alone.
 
Last edited:

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
Both Witcher games are good dark fantasy RPGs, though to be honest I don't think it's quite as good review sites say they are. The plot-lines branch and they are well written but the combat is clunky and you don't have much freedom. Each chapter basically drops you in a zone where you can operate freely until the story moves to the next chapter and new zone.

In terms of how it compares to Dragon Age. It's a lot darker and a much more plot oriented. With Dragon Age much of the experience was driven by companion characters, both Witcher games are far more solitary. Gearalt tends to fight his battles alone.
So unlike DA 1 you can't change city anytime you want ?
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So unlike DA 1 you can't change city anytime you want ?
Unfortunately not. There isn't even any kind of world map. Which doesn't seem to bother some people, but it bothered me a good bit.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
There are definitely some limitations compared to other games, but I think that's just th focus of the Witcher games...it's th story of Geralt...I recommend the books...there's a short story collection and a novel, both translated to english...there are other novels as well, just not translated, yet...they offer great insight into the world of the Witcher, and they give good background to the games, and shed a different light on some characters...

Foltest for example or the other rulers of the realm...they always seemed a bit incompetent and idiotic to me...but the books changed that a bit...

Witcher 2...I still couldn't believe how certain friends of Geralt are not that loyal as I expected them to be...most disturbing was Triss...though if you read the books she does seem like a manipulative bitch who tries to snatch Geralt from his true love, Yennefer.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Among my the other games I plan to play after the final exam, I'm currently thinking about the Witcher (1&2), it seems to be a very good RPG series. Did anyone play it already ?

How is it compared to Dragon Age series for example ?
In light of current RPGs I don't really know where to rank the first Witcher...it was a great game when it came out, it still is, but has some really annoying stuff...Witcher 2 though....Game of the Year 2011 IMO...story and characters matter to me a lot, so that has a great say in it, and the combat is much more player oriented and a bit harder than in the first Witcher...they improved it a lot...

I recommend both for the story, but only the Witcher 2 for its gameplay
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Witcher 2 game of the year ??? Above Skyrim ? Hell no :D.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Witcher 2 game of the year ??? Above Skyrim ? Hell no :D.
Let the endless debate commence!!:bbb

Better story and characters, more impactful choices, better combat, and technically more polished...Skyrim story was average at best, although customization was way above, and exploration was waay above...but that doesn't matter to me...
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition looks gorgeous :zomg. One of these days I have to get the first game as well as this new release.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
@ben, I don't think that Skyrim is beatable this year. It's way more rich. The story isn't as complicated as The Witcher's but in terms of content... Skyrim has a lot to offer. That's if we only talk about the original skyrim without adding any mods/quests/chars ... etc that people made from the day it was released till now.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Skyrim for me. No question.

I mean, comparing the Witcher 2 to Skyrim seems like a bit of an "Apples to Oranges" comparison but according to my steam account I put 40 hours into the Witcher 2 and 257 hours in Skyrim (and I have no doubt that I will play more on top of that). So what does that tell you?

To be honest even with all it's faults, I would probably put Dragon Age 2(which I apparently put 85 hours into) over The Witcher 2 for RPG of the year.
 
Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Skyrim for me. No question.

I mean, comparing the Witcher 2 to Skyrim seems like a bit of an "Apples to Oranges" comparison but according to my steam account I put 40 hours into the Witcher 2 and 257 hours in Skyrim (and I have no doubt that I will play more on top of that). So what does that tell you?
Well it is Apples to Oranges....but what you said tells me that you like exploration....

and meaningless choices:cookiehand

:derp

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

@ben, I don't think that Skyrim is beatable this year. It's way more rich. The story isn't as complicated as The Witcher's but in terms of content... Skyrim has a lot to offer. That's if we only talk about the original skyrim without adding any mods/quests/chars ... etc that people made from the day it was released till now.
The mods are definitely the ones that made me play Skyrim more...but otherwise...I mean I like customization and the enormous content, but it gets boring really fast after a while...there are two things that I liked about Skyrim, a lot...the funeral scene with The Companions, and the king assassination job...those stand out a lot...but just two...

While in Witcher 2...the entire 2nd and 3rd acts are brilliant...and that's a lot more quality content...and they are adding to it in the Enhanced Edition...cool stuff
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well it is Apples to Oranges....but what you said tells me that you like exploration....

and meaningless choices:cookiehand

:derp
I do indeed consider those things important.:amuse

In order to truly immerse myself into a role-playing experience I can't feel too restricted in what I do. Otherwise they aren't really my choices at all.

Skyrim deals with it's story in terms of mini-arcs. Mages College, Fighters Guild(Jorvaskar), Thieves Guild, The Dark Brotherhood, The Dragonborn, and the Civil War(on top of sidequests). Each story is separate and builds the greater Skyrim experience; and hopefully DLC will add even more onto it.

The Witcher 2 is one well written but exposition heavy story with very limited immersion elements. The plot branches nicely but you never really feel free to choose what you do. I never felt like Geralt's story was really my own, and that's part of the point of RPG's. Which is not to say that it isn't a good game, it is; but I don't think it belongs anywhere near the conversation of best RPG's of all time and, frankly, I think Skryim is in that conversation.
 
Last edited:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I'm eager to play risen 2 at the end of the week. Arcs replaced by guns & magic replaced by voodoo skills, a real rpg in the world of pirates: Kaizoku ou ni ore wa naruuuuuuuuuu. Plus, graphics & gameplay seems to be good as well
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Guys, I'm addicted to Disgaea ... there are too many things to do in this game ... My bad habit of collecting and maxing everything is back ...
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Guys, I'm addicted to Disgaea ... there are too many things to do in this game ... My bad habit of collecting and maxing everything is back ...
Haha! Disgaea is pretty addictive :XD
I always kept going back to level 1 and getting stronger thinking I was invincible after a while. Then I ran into some nasty monsters that killed me in one hit :XD
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Haha! Disgaea is pretty addictive :XD
I always kept going back to level 1 and getting stronger thinking I was invincible after a while. Then I ran into some nasty monsters that killed me in one hit :XD
I reached lvl 9999 -_- and reincarnated ... now I'm trying to collect all legendary weapons ... I can't turn this shit off ! Call 911 :D
I still have Persona 4 waiting ... But I wonder when I'll be able to stop playing this game.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I reached lvl 9999 -_- and reincarnated ... now I'm trying to collect all legendary weapons ... I can't turn this shit off ! Call 911 :D
I still have Persona 4 waiting ... But I wonder when I'll be able to stop playing this game.
I don't even know if I should tell you this but the max lvl in Disgaea 4 is 99,999.(I've never gotten anywhere remotely close to it.:amuse)
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I reached lvl 9999 -_- and reincarnated ... now I'm trying to collect all legendary weapons ... I can't turn this shit off ! Call 911 :D
I still have Persona 4 waiting ... But I wonder when I'll be able to stop playing this game.
When the save file gets corrupted or something along those lines :XD
That's the only thing that stopped me from playing lol
I also started P4, but haven't continued it in a while :/
 
Top