Games The RPG thread

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I'm currently playing risen 2. Not bad.
The game is flawed:
- Optimization isn't good. You really need a monster computer to run it
- gameplay in battle isn't very interesting
- Graphics are just good ... no more.

BUT
- Playing a pirate in the carribean
- You get a boat & a crew in the game
- The story is better than in most rpgs I played recently.
- Coherent "pirate" universe
- good dialogs
- no level scaling. You start weak, you progress slowly ... but in the end, you're a beast
- swords,voodoo,muskets in a rpg

A good surprise for me. With a better finition, it could have been in the same division as the witcher
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
So, I shift+deleted Disgaea because that was the only way to stop this madness ... But I really enjoyed it.

Do you guys know any RPG I could enjoy now? I lost Persona 4 and It will take some time before I could get it again :ninja
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
So I heard Tales of Graces F is coming to Europe and I just had to ask: is "Graces" an actual word? It sounds an awful lot like Engrish to me. Why not just rename the game as Tales of Grace in the west (and drop the F)? Too late now though.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
^Based on my google search, "graces" is an actual word. As for the F, it stands for "future" since they added an extra scenario, which takes place after the original game, and the game was a remake of the Wii version. ^^
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
It is? Does it have the same meaning as "grace"? And yeah I know that the F's in the title due to it being a remake, but seeing as the original never made it to the west they could have just dropped it. I think a name like "Tales of Grace" would be more successful rather than Tales of Graces F. That's just me though.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
^Of course, the fanboys and fangirls would probably be outraged that Namco Bandai changed the title. >.>
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I guess. I remember not being very happy when I heard Square-Enix changed the title of It's a Wonderful World to The World Ends with You when releasing it outside of Japan. Then I played the game and realized the significance of the new title xD.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Not to mention that they would probably have to pay the people who owned the rights to "It's a Wonderful World". ^^;
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Anyone played Dragon's Dogma yet? From what I've seen it looks like your typical European middle-ages inspired fantasy and that the storyline is alright but nothing we haven't seen before. However the combat looks awesome and real fun to play!
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,524
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anyone played Dragon's Dogma yet? From what I've seen it looks like your typical European middle-ages inspired fantasy and that the storyline is alright but nothing we haven't seen before. However the combat looks awesome and real fun to play!
I just rented it. To be honest, I haven't played enough yet to really give much of an informed opinion.

One interesting thing is that it focuses heavily on custom ally characters called "pawns". So near the beginning of the game you not only create your character but create a companion npc that will stay with you throughout the game. In addition you are able to pick a 3rd npc to travel with you created by other players; and people can use your companion in that role as well.

This is an interesting system but I haven't really used it enough to say how well it works.

My initial impression though is that, while the system is a neat idea, it comes at the price of making the side characters kinda boring. They all have a good bit of banter dialogue, typically quest advice, but that doesn't really fill the void created by their complete lack of back-story.

---------- Post added May 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was May 24, 2012 at 09:23 AM ----------

I played a bit more or Dragon's Dogma and my fondness for it is beginning to grow.

  • You tend to travel in a party of 4. You, your custom main npc, and two npc's from other players.
  • The NPC AI is really good. Unlike a lot of games they really are helpful (and not just in combat).
  • All NPC's retain knowledge of quests and they've done before, area's they've been to previously, and enemies they've fought. So if one of the NPC's you have along happens to have done the quest your on before they will essentially lead you through it and if they know an enemies weakness they will shout it out to you as well as attack that weakness themselves.(which is pretty cool)
  • Some of the enemies you fight are huge! (which I think is fun)
  • It's not very linear you can wander around quite a bit if you want. Take side quests, craft gear, there is even some sort of NPC affection system(which I don't really understand yet).
  • Once you get to the main city you can remake your characters or classes at will.(which is good if you have a change of heart about what kind of class you want to play, or want your character to look or sound different)

-------------------------------------------

So basically my opinion on the game is this....

It's not perfect. It's main story doesn't do much to really pull you in and the first 4 hours don't seem designed to make the game seem less impressive than it actually is. But once the world opens up a bit there's lots of fun to be had and the impressively complex NPC AI helps to greatly enhance the experience.

---------- Post added May 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was May 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM ----------

So as I have played Dragon's Dogma my fondness has turned to straight up love. The beginning is definitely rough but I would now strongly recommend this game to anybody looking for a good action RPG.

And you can see a big reason why right here..
​

That's not a boss fight. That's just a regular fight.

Ultimately for me this game taps into the same thing that games like Gothic, and Risen did for me(except far FAR more polished). It's not about the story it's about the adventure and a fun game world and giving the player incentive to adventure through it.

Here are some things anyone looking into this game should be aware of.
  • You can't fast travel. (You get portal stones later in game, but for the most part you have to travel on foot)
  • There are multiple love interests.
  • What you do on side quests does effect the game world.
  • Night is extremely dark. When you find yourself caught outside at night with no lantern things get pretty interesting.
  • There is a new game+
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Man that game sounds like something I would enjoy. I just started playing Witcher 2 but it hasn't got me like DA Origins did... in fact, DA is the only WRPG I loved and finished. Dragon's Dogma looks so promising and the multiple love interests is a plus :hurr

btw, do they plan to release this on PC? I don't own a console yet :mono
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,524
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Man that game sounds like something I would enjoy. I just started playing Witcher 2 but it hasn't got me like DA Origins did... in fact, DA is the only WRPG I loved and finished. Dragon's Dogma looks so promising and the multiple love interests is a plus :hurr

btw, do they plan to release this on PC? I don't own a console yet :mono
Sadly, as of May 10th they said that had "No Plans" to release it for PC.

An article I read made the development team seem non-committal about the idea of a PC release. The reason they gave was that the "Pawn System" proved very difficult to do on PC.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yes! The console versions of Dark Souls is going to have the added PC content as DLCs. :whoo

 
Last edited by a moderator:

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Yes! The console versions of Dark Souls is going to have the added PC content as DLCs. :whoo

This is def a buy for me. Been waiting for Demon Souls, but since they don't have plans to bring it to PC I'll just have to do with the sequel :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I hope you'll enjoy playing it. My brother likes it and to make this easier, he recommends being cautious and don't charge at the enemies head-on.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I hope you'll enjoy playing it. My brother likes it and to make this easier, he recommends being cautious and don't charge at the enemies head-on.
Yeah I followed the game a bit talking to other gamers on another forum and they said it's not a game to just hack and slash your way through. I like those kind of games :zomg
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,524
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah I followed the game a bit talking to other gamers on another forum and they said it's not a game to just hack and slash your way through. I like those kind of games :zomg
It's an amazing game. One of those old school games that makes no attempt at hand-holding. You will die over and over again. Which really makes you feel like progress is something you earned.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've been playing a lot of, I guess you'd call them, 2nd tier RPG's lately. White Knight Chronicles 2, Dragon's Dogma, and I'm about to fire up Two Worlds 2.

White Knight Chronicles 1&2 was just not very good. I love the "build your own town" thing but the rest of game was just..... Japanese in all the wrong places plus MMO style combat. Unfortunate.

Dragon's Dogma was loads of fun. The story portions and romance elements(of which there were a lot) need refinement but the gameplay and companion npc stuff was just a joy to play around with.

Two Worlds 2 I haven't played yet but I've heard the voice acting is pretty bad however if you can get past that supposedly the game underneath is pretty good. We'll see.
 
Last edited:

Crimson Null

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XIII and lost odyssey
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Two Worlds 2 ... the story is horrible. the voice acting is so bad. the gameplay is not that bad... And there are so few weapons and gear in the game.
I don't mean to bash ... But you shouldn't buy it IMO.
 
Top