Games The RPG thread

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Persona looks amazing. As expected. Is it just me or does it look like they are going with a more mature look. Aesthetically it almost looks like Catherine; which appeals to me in a big way.

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna looks really cool. It's got that classic JRPG look to it; which is cool not only because of the game itself but because Square continues to experiment with those kind of games.
 

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
Hi guys!
I was wondering if you could recommend me some very good "Action RPG, Open World" games set in a fantasy world and in which I can create my own character, like Dragon Age, Elder scrolls, Dragon's dogma etc...
Also good games like the Witcher could interest me, even if I can't create my own character; as long as the plot is good, I'll play anything.

P.S: Is it possible to open a game recommendation thread?
Because I noticed that there isn't one in this section.....
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There isn't a ton of those out there and you just named a lot of the good ones.

The Fable games. I guess the Zelda games are technically that. I'm assuming you've played all the fallout games, but if you haven't those are a must. From the JRPG side of things The Tales series is kind of action-y. Tales of Symphnia is the best of those IMO; so that might be worth a look.
 

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
There isn't a ton of those out there and you just named a lot of the good ones.

The Fable games. I guess the Zelda games are technically that. I'm assuming you've played all the fallout games, but if you haven't those are a must. From the JRPG side of things The Tales series is kind of action-y. Tales of Symphnia is the best of those IMO; so that might be worth a look.
Thanks, I'll give a look at them! :D
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Another interesting open world action RPG I just started playing with is Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment.

It's an odd game in that I hated it initially. Absolutely HATED it! As you might imagine from a essentially a Sim mmo game it's kind of like .Hack and I loved .Hack. The rough part was how grindy it is and the translation on Vita which is spectacularly bad. Supposedly the PS4 translation is better, but I haven't tried that one.

Though I think maybe at this point I might miss it. I mean, how can you pass up classics lines such as...


Or


The game has really grown on me with time though. It's just fun to sit down and thoughtlessly play.
 

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
Another interesting open world action RPG I just started playing with is Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment.

It's an odd game in that I hated it initially. Absolutely HATED it! As you might imagine from a essentially a Sim mmo game it's kind of like .Hack and I loved .Hack. The rough part was how grindy it is and the translation on Vita which is spectacularly bad. Supposedly the PS4 translation is better, but I haven't tried that one.

Though I think maybe at this point I might miss it. I mean, how can you pass up classics lines such as...


Or


The game has really grown on me with time though. It's just fun to sit down and thoughtlessly play.
Epic lines are epic! XD
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
@Zasz
You can start a game recommendation thread if you like. ^^

Anyway, some new Persona 5 screenshots are up.
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Another interesting open world action RPG I just started playing with is Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment.

It's an odd game in that I hated it initially. Absolutely HATED it! As you might imagine from a essentially a Sim mmo game it's kind of like .Hack and I loved .Hack. The rough part was how grindy it is and the translation on Vita which is spectacularly bad. Supposedly the PS4 translation is better, but I haven't tried that one.

Though I think maybe at this point I might miss it. I mean, how can you pass up classics lines such as...


Or


The game has really grown on me with time though. It's just fun to sit down and thoughtlessly play.
When I first saw the game, I thought it was a modded Phantasy Star... but I'm always down for that kinda gameplay so definitely worth a try for me.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Some more info on the characters and their Personas from P5.

Gwendolyn trailer from the Odin Sphere remake:

---------- Post added October 05, 2015 at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was October 04, 2015 at 02:39 PM ----------

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final announced for the 3DS
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Disgaea 5 finally reaches the PS4 in the US tomorrow and I can't wait.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Mine should be here tomorrow
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Anyone bought/buy The Witcher 3 DLC? Just had a 15GB patch for it RIP my PS4
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Weird. What did it do exactly?

I have the Witcher 3 and downloaded the patch, which is massive, but the DLC doesn't come out until next week. And I'm knee deep in Disgaea 5 so I might not get to it for a bit.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Weird. What did it do exactly?

I have the Witcher 3 and downloaded the patch, which is massive, but the DLC doesn't come out until next week. And I'm knee deep in Disgaea 5 so I might not get to it for a bit.
I thought it was the DLC patch, but it seems it's a massive bugfixes and performance enhancements.

I am looking forward to play the DLC soon tho, since I've been wanting to revisit the Witcher again.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I thought it was the DLC patch, but it seems it's a massive bugfixes and performance enhancements.

I am looking forward to play the DLC soon tho, since I've been wanting to revisit the Witcher again.
I deleted my savegame so I can replay the whole thing with the DLC included (and be evil this time =))
 

Shasha23

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 14, 2015
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
1,684
Gender
Male
Country
South Africa
Hmm I guess I'll wait for 2yrs before I play it like I did with the old 1 and buy it's special release that will come out bug free with all DLC stuff
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
No one is talking about Fallout so I guess the rumors about it being bad are true ... I am still not sure if I should get it or not.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The rumors are not true. Not even slightly. I haven't been talking about it because I've been playing it in my every waking spare moment.

It's my game of the year right now. Easily. Even over Metal Gear and Witcher. It's the best Fallout game and probably the best Bethesda game. Most of the people that I've heard of it is along the lines of "It doesn't respect my time" which is such a nonsensical hipster complaint IMO. I've put 20 hours in and feel like there is at least 40 more waiting for me on this play though, and I'm thrilled by that fact; and this is a game I could easily imagine playing again after that. Fallout 4 is basically a refinement of everything Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas were. That is a promise Fallout 4 delivers on 1000%.

Fallout 4 also quite possibly does the least handholding of any Bethesda game. It kinda just lets you loose upon a vast interesting world filling with layers upon layers of gameplay depth and only explains a little bit of the first layer. To some people that's a bad thing. To me it adds to the sense of discovery and satisfaction.

And the improvements are so good. The settler systems that allows you to build and manage towns is awesome once you figure out how it works. The companions are great. The story seems good enough, I'll have to beat it to know, but so far so good.

Are there bugs? Yeah, but not the degree of something like Skyrim or even Dragon Age Inquisition. The frame rate is also perfectly fine. I'm playing on ps4 and I've seen a grand total of one frame rate drop so far and it wasn't even a significant one. Mid 20s at the most. The graphics look better than Dragon Age Inquisition but not as good as The Witcher or Metal Gear, which I think is fine.
 
Last edited:
Top