Games The RPG thread

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
You know Jammin, I respect your opinions when it comes to RPG games, because your taste is similar to mine. But many people are saying that the characters and story are bad. I'm not talking about the mechanics, the gameplay or the open world aspect. I'm talking about the story.
I played all Fallout games. I hated all the storylines but I enjoyed the gameplay a lot. So when people who loved the first games say that the story and characters are worse than the other games, my motivation goes poof.
I will try the game after I finish my current Witcher play-through. I will let you know what I think when I'm done.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
No one is talking about Fallout so I guess the rumors about it being bad are true ... I am still not sure if I should get it or not.
I don't think the story is bad, in fact I think Fallout 4 story is more engaging than FO NV or FO 3 because of the voiced protagonist etc.,. Concerning the characters, there are some characters with very interesting personalities, but some of them can be somewhat uninspiring too.

I haven't finished the game, so I don't know how it'd end, but so far the story is much better than I expected. If there's anything that I'd like to complain the most is Bethesda's infamous technical issues. I don't like the new Bioware-y dialogue wheel either, but that's pretty much something that not a lot of people take issues with.

I would still rank it below the Witcher, but it's definitely somewhere at the top, hovering around my personal top 3 (AAA) games of the year. If you're a fan of the franchise, I don't think you'd be disappointed. Perhaps you find some elements that make Fallout games, Fallout games lacking in Fallout 4, but overall it's still an impressive game.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Really? I mean, I don't know how far I am into the story but I don't see any problems with it yet. It's not going to be The Last of Us or anything like that. Won't know for sure until I get to the end but right now it's on pace for being at least as good as New Vegas.

The companions I can vouch for, as I've found at least 3/4ths of them. They have surprised me with what good characters they are. That's not something Bethesda has a history of doing well but they managed it this time.

The environmental storytelling has also been amazing. You'll walk into a bombed out building a find a skeleton of somebody who died when the bombs dropped and, more often than not, if you look around you'll be able to see what they were doing when they died. I don't know if you remember how the Vaults were in Fallout 3, with each having an enclosed story of what happened there, but it's like that in most buildings in this game.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I guess I'd say the story is rather... inconsistent in terms of quality? There are some stories that are superb, but some of them are just fine. It doesn't ruin my experience in playing the game like MGS V or anything, but still it is not something that I would gloss over. How many companions you have met so far?

I think two of the things that I like the most from FO 4 is characters' one-liners and voice acting. Both of them improved significantly compared to the previous games.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think the story is bad, in fact I think Fallout 4 story is more engaging than FO NV or FO 3 because of the voiced protagonist etc.,. Concerning the characters, there are some characters with very interesting personalities, but some of them can be somewhat uninspiring too.

I haven't finished the game, so I don't know how it'd end, but so far the story is much better than I expected. If there's anything that I'd like to complain the most is Bethesda's infamous technical issues. I don't like the new Bioware-y dialogue wheel either, but that's pretty much something that not a lot of people take issues with.

I would still rank it below the Witcher, but it's definitely somewhere at the top, hovering around my personal top 3 (AAA) games of the year. If you're a fan of the franchise, I don't think you'd be disappointed. Perhaps you find some elements that make Fallout games, Fallout games lacking in Fallout 4, but overall it's still an impressive game.
With you on the dialogue system. The dialogue wheel is more of a nuisance than a benefit.

Which are your feelings on each companion?
I'm not huge on Preston or Maccready. Piper is ok but she's not drawing my interest much either. Codsworth, Cait, Valintine, and Curie I'm a big fan of. Haven't gotten anybody else yet.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I would still rank it below the Witcher.
Nothing would beat that IMO. It was the best game in the last few years.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
With you on the dialogue system. The dialogue wheel is more of a nuisance than a benefit.

Which are your feelings on each companion?
I'm not huge on Preston or Maccready. Piper is ok but she's not drawing my interest much either. Codsworth, Cait, Valintine, and Curie I'm a big fan of. Haven't gotten anybody else yet.
Valentine and Cait are easily the best companion in the game for me. They have such interesting backstories and their personal quests are amazing as well. I like Piper, it's just too bad that her story is not as enthralling as Valentine's or Cait's. I got Preston and McCrady (?) but I never used them 'cause I know my playing style wouldn't fit their personalities. There are five more companions you haven't met it seems, I'd say two of them are really likable, two of them are just meh, and I am unsure about the other one cause I never used him.

I have been trying to use Curie more though, it seems she's a good character

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Just had the strangest glitch ever.. suddenly teleported into a place I've never been to when I aimed my sniper rifle. Oh well, thanks Bethesda.
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Just had the strangest glitch ever.. suddenly teleported into a place I've never been to when I aimed my sniper rifle. Oh well, thanks Bethesda.
Funny since your avi is Celebi
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just had the strangest glitch ever.. suddenly teleported into a place I've never been to when I aimed my sniper rifle. Oh well, thanks Bethesda.
That's hilarious.:XD

Maybe I've just been lucky but so far I've only hit 3 bugs. None of which were bad.

The first is a bugged quest script in Vault 81. When you complete a task for one of the people there you can ask the giver to join you as a settler. But when they accept they never actually become one.

The second involved the quest for Covanent. You can end up killing everyone and taking over the town as a settlement, which is awesome, except the doors relock themselves and many of the items there remain flagged as "owned" so you can't scrap a lot of it. And the turrets don't count toward the defensive rating.

The third involved a quest where you are supposed to be able to unlock a door by activating a series of motion sensors in sequence. And the sensors don't work like they are supposed to. Fortunately you can just activate a computer and ignore them completely, but it's a shame they don't work.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
That's hilarious.:XD

Maybe I've just been lucky but so far I've only hit 3 bugs. None of which were bad.

The first is a bugged quest script in Vault 81. When you complete a task for one of the people there you can ask the giver to join you as a settler. But when they accept they never actually become one.

The second involved the quest for Covanent. You can end up killing everyone and taking over the town as a settlement, which is awesome, except the doors relock themselves and many of the items there remain flagged as "owned" so you can't scrap a lot of it. And the turrets don't count toward the defensive rating.

The third involved a quest where you are supposed to be able to unlock a door by activating a series of motion sensors in sequence. And the sensors don't work like they are supposed to. Fortunately you can just activate a computer and ignore them completely, but it's a shame they don't work.
Actually there's one "game-breaking" bug that I had

So when you do Valentine's personal quests, it's very possible that at then end of the questline you couldn't overwrite your old saves. The solution for this problem for me was I created some new saves instead of overwriting the old ones

Which quest in the Vault 81? I remember the Overseer gave me one room or something, but I couldn't find any room for my character so I gave up looking for it lol.

One thing that I can remember from Human Errors quest was the door bug which leads to the Covenant's main office. So in order to sneaked in, I waited until one of the residents opened the door for me and I just went through lol. Not sure if it is intended or not (I don't think so, cause there's one guy who strangely greeted my inside the office even though I entered the building illegally), but the entire quest was really funny for me personally because it seems in order to finish the quest neatly i.e, not killing all the people inside the covenant you have to rely on the existence of bug. :XD

Oh which quest is that? I don't think I have done that -- or perhaps I am forgetting something
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Actually there's one "game-breaking" bug that I had

So when you do Valentine's personal quests, it's very possible that at then end of the questline you couldn't overwrite your old saves. The solution for this problem for me was I created some new saves instead of overwriting the old ones

Which quest in the Vault 81? I remember the Overseer gave me one room or something, but I couldn't find any room for my character so I gave up looking for it lol.

One thing that I can remember from Human Errors quest was the door bug which leads to the Covenant's main office. So in order to sneaked in, I waited until one of the residents opened the door for me and I just went through lol. Not sure if it is intended or not (I don't think so, cause there's one guy who strangely greeted my inside the office even though I entered the building illegally), but the entire quest was really funny for me personally because it seems in order to finish the quest neatly i.e, not killing all the people inside the covenant you have to rely on the existence of bug. :XD

Oh which quest is that? I don't think I have done that -- or perhaps I am forgetting something
If you talk to the Tina girl down in the power room(the one who deals chems). She has a quest where you have to get her brother to go clean. If you successfully do that you'll get a speech check to have her become a settler for you. But even if she agrees she won't actually leave the power room.

Pretty much a classic quest scripting bug.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
If you talk to the Tina girl down in the power room(the one who deals chems). She has a quest where you have to get her brother to go clean. If you successfully do that you'll get a speech check to have her become a settler for you. But even if she agrees she won't actually leave the power room.

Pretty much a classic quest scripting bug.
Man I didn't know there's a questline about that. I thought it's just one of the parts of entire Marie's quest.

What's your build? In the beginning I was pretty INT and END heavy, but I am digging sneaking with sniper rifle lately.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I went CHA and INT heavy. With a focus on non-automatic rifles and crafting. That's kind of my default playstyle. Sneaking a lot with silenced semiauto weapons. Next I'll probably go down the strength tree a bit and invest some perks in big guns now. Because using power armor with a minigun or a flamethrower feels so good. Maybe get Strong Back too because I'm always weighed down by all the garbage I horde.

Haven't used explosives or melee much at all.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir will have a Storybook Edition.

I already got it preordered from Amazon before the scalpers buy all of them~
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,755
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
So after playing Tales of Zestiria for a while:

The characters are not bad but a bit too bland. The best characters are clearly Rose and Edna. They are fun to listen to. :D
Fighting is a lot of fun. The Kamui system is not perfect because your squad gets reduced to just 2 members but it allows some nice strategy patterns. No matter which weakness your opponent has, you can react rather quickly.
OST is nice and the opening song is damn addicting... Can't rememebr the last OP song of a game which I couldn't get out of my head... <.<

Story sadly isn't that interesting. It is not bad but the usual good vs evil. Not so many twists and turns so far. (I am not done yet, of course.)

All in all this probably won't beat my favorite Tales game. I really want something like Tales of Graces again... :pout
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I only armatize when I need to heal otherwise once that bar runs out I switch back. I also play on hard and hopefully the next difficulty so I think its better to play as 4 since combos matter more than (multiplyer)
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,755
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I actually prefer to go all out and end things quickly. So it is more fun to simply destroy the enemy with an overwhelming Kamui force.
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
So after playing Tales of Zestiria for a while:

The characters are not bad but a bit too bland. The best characters are clearly Rose and Edna. They are fun to listen to. :D
Fighting is a lot of fun. The Kamui system is not perfect because your squad gets reduced to just 2 members but it allows some nice strategy patterns. No matter which weakness your opponent has, you can react rather quickly.
OST is nice and the opening song is damn addicting... Can't rememebr the last OP song of a game which I couldn't get out of my head... <.<

Story sadly isn't that interesting. It is not bad but the usual good vs evil. Not so many twists and turns so far. (I am not done yet, of course.)

All in all this probably won't beat my favorite Tales game. I really want something like Tales of Graces again... :pout
As someone who is playing it multiplayer - the camera sucks majorly. The switch from focus on the players to focus on the monsters really hurt the gameplay experience for us. Other than that - I agree, while good it's still not the level of Vesperia/Graces/Abyss
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just finished beating and getting the platinum for Fallout 4.

Came away pleased with the story along with the gameplay, and companions. I can kinda see how someone might not love the latter parts of it though. It forces you to make some tough choices in situations where none of the choices feel entirely "right" from a moral standpoint. It was a bit like New Vegas in that way. Also thought the quality of the story varied a bit depending which route you went down.

More specifically...
The Institutes route was the best, IMO. Loved the twist with Father and how it played with my preconceived notions about what the Institute was going to be. I was so ready to fight them when I got there only to have that feeling kind of evaporate by what the story did when I got there. That was a pretty cool moment for me.

Second was the Railroad. It had characters that were hard to dislike and side missions I could really get into. Glory in particular I thought was cool. The main parts of the story were never as personal as the institute missions though and that held it back. Deacon also was by far the most colorful of the faction specific companions.

The Brotherhood of Steel stuff was only alright. Clearly the weakest of the three factions in terms of fun, personality, and relatability. Even that plotline had it's moments but for the most part they just feel like the bad guys. Maxim just mostly comes off as a jerk and Danse, though he was more than he initially seemed, had all the personality of a block of wood. They just never made a very good case for taking their side.

Most of the new things they added seemed like they worked well, or at least well enough. Loved the settlement stuff(though the AI could get wonky), the modding system was pretty great, and I like the new leveling system better.

The bits about it I ended up not liking were...

  • F@#! the dialogue wheel!
  • Lack of base weapon crafting.
  • Locking the ability to mod any underclothes other than the vault suit into a Railroad sidequest that is easy to miss.
  • Can't throw Grenades and such in VATS anymore.:(
 
Top