Discussion - The Shoujo/Josei Recommendation Thread! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Shoujo/Josei Recommendation Thread!

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
If you totally love a certain shoujo or josei manga and want everyone to know about it, Yes! please post it right here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Name of the Manga or Manhwa you want to recommend.
(hint hint - you can add a pic if you like too. ;))

Author: The name of the manga-ka

Summary: Explain what the story's about, but remember to avoid spoilers.

Details: Target Audience, Number of Volumes released, whether it's complete or ongoing, and anything else that comes to mind which you think might be important. If you like, you can even post the covers of the manga you are talking about here.

Why You Recommend It: Make your sales pitch here! Be sure to comment on the writing style, art style, and things like that.

Where to Get It: Help others know how to get it here, by providing the IRC channel or Direct Download Links.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeat Recommendations are fine and even encouraged, if you want to add your own opinion on the same manga.

If it's just a small detail, like an alternative place to download the manga, feel free to post here, and we moderators can add your quote to the post.

And Lastly, if you want to talk more with others about your favourite manga(s), feel free to start your own Discussion thread on the manga in the Regular Topics below.

(p.s. if you find this familiar, this is taken from Goldknight's post) :amuse

Last edited:

Raine_Joybringer

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Re: Manga Recommendation Thread

Title: Kamichama Karin

Author: Koge-Donbo

Summary: Karin is a girl who's been having it tough- her parents have passed on, she's not doing too well at school, lives with her mean aunt, and to top it off, her best friend, her pet cat, has just died. Things don't seem to be getting any better until she runs into a boy named Kazune. And from there, everything starts to change as Karin begins to experience the divinity of the gods, and the strange link she has to them with the ring her dead mother left to her.

Details: Most fans of the magical girl genre should like this. There's 7 volumes, but only 1-6 have been translated and released. As well, there is a sequel in the making, and is going to be made into an anime sometime this year.

Why You Recommend It: I've only gotten the English-released volumes 1-3 because I can't find 4 anywhere, but I can tell you that this series is completey charming in everyway. It's done by the creator of Pita-Ten and Digi Charat, which is why it has that streak of great humour and some of the biggest eyes you'll ever see in a manga.

The characters are very memorable (and adorable), and the plot is quite well thought out. It's a lot different than most other mahou shoujo manga I've read so far, and even after reading it so many times I still find myself smiling at a lot of the jokes. Not to mention the pretty-pretty costumes :)

Where to Get It: Unfortunately, I haven't found a place yet... :( If anyone does know, please tell me.

starfall856

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Manga Recommendation Thread

Title- Fruits Basket

Author- ummm sry cant remember

Summary- Plz excuse my summery im not good at writing....
Its about this girl (Torhu, Spelling???)who is homeless (kinda) n she lives in a tent, but then finds this house where these two guys live (Yuki who is her age and Shigure who is like 25), with no women in the house to clean its pretty much a garbage dump, n they are like come live with us its free as long as u cook an clean. So shes like OK. but soon finds out that this family is not what it seems.

Details- Its shoujo, 15 volumes released in the USA, i think its done in Japan

Why I recommend it- Its good, sometimes funny, cute, and not completely predictable.

Where to get it- any manga store, its really popular so you should have luck finding it anywhere

[br]Posted on: February 21, 2007, 03:25:58 PM_________________________________________________Title- Ouran Host Club

Author- ummm...stupid memory

Summary- Its about this girl named Haruhi who goes to this ultra rich kids school on scholarship and she accidentally breaks and 80,000$ vase that belongs to the mysterious Host Club. So she has to work in the Host Club as a guy in order to pay off the debt, during which she learns a lot about the super-hot super rich guys who are also in the Host Club.

Details- It's Shoujo, i think theres 9 volumes out and its ongoing. Theres also and anime of it.

Why I recommend it- My summary doesn't do the manga any justice! Its hilarious, sweet, hilarious, really good, hilarious, and not predictable

Where to get it- manga store, internet(for anime)

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Josei Manga Recommendation Thread

If you totally love a certain Josei manga and want everyone else to read it as well, please post your recommendations right here!

Title: Name of the Manga or Manhwa you want to recommend.

Author: The name of the manga-ka

Summary: Explain what the story's about, but remember to avoid spoilers.

Details: Target Audience, Number of Volumes released, whether it's complete or ongoing, and anything else that comes to mind which you think might be important. If you like, you can even post the covers of the manga you are talking about here.

Why You Recommend It: Make your sales pitch here! Be sure to comment on the writing style, art style, and things like that.

Where to Get It: Help others know how to get it here, by providing the IRC channel or Direct Download Links.

Repeat Recommendations are fine and even encouraged, if you want to add your own opinion on the same manga.

If it's just a small detail, like an alternative place to download the manga, feel free to post here, and we moderators can add your quote to the post.

And Lastly, if you want to talk more with others about your favourite manga(s), feel free to start your own Discussion thread on the manga in the Regular Topics below.

(p.s. if you find this familiar, this is taken from GK's post)

:bkitty

NeeChee

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: Shoujo Manga Recommendation Thread

Title: Yaya

Author: Eun-Young Kang

Summary: A girl named Hyu Na Kang joins a new school. She has an obsessive compulse disorder of making everything clean and rightfully in it's place. She joins a new school and meets many new people; she gets a taste of false friendships, crushes, betrayal, and possibly love? When Hyu Na Kang meets the wild Rain Lee her world drastically changeds.

Details: 6 Volumes [COMPLETE], in Korea..

Why I recommend it: The art is truly beautiful and it is really entertaining and funny.

Where to get it: Dragon Voice Edited Manga Group, Incomplete there though
DragonVoice IRC: #dragonvoice@IRCHIGHWAY.net
Dragon Voice Site: www.dragonvoice.org

chibi-puff

Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands

Title: Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (Hana Kimi); For You in Full Blossoms

Author: Nakajo Hisaya

Summary: Mizuki Ashiya transfers to a high school in Japan to chase her idol, high jumper Izumi Sano. The problem is that the school she entered is an all boys school, so she pretends to be a one. Now, Mizuki must cope in living as a ordinary student while keeping her secret from everybody..

Details: Genre-Comedy, Drama, Gender Bender, School Life, Shoujo
23 Volumes completed

Why I recommend it: I've just finished it recently, and it is one of the best shoujo I've read so far. It's hilarious and sweet at the same time. Also the art style is very nice.

Where to get it: http://www.aicoalition.com

Hope you like it as much I did ^_^

Attachments

Prodigy-child

Reaction score
Country
United States

Gotta get the word spread that maybe we can get some translations one day.

Title: Boku to Kanojo no XXX

Author: Ai Morinaga (Creator of My Heavenly Hockey Club, Duck Prince, Yamada Tarou)

Summary: High schooler Nanako Momoi may be petite and adorable, but she is far from sweet, she is obnoxious, violent and has the table manners of a wild boar. Akira Uehara, a dainty, feminine boy has, for some mysterious reason, developed quite a crush on her. One day, Akira stumbles upon Nanako's grandfather, a man best described as a mad scientist. He is performing an experiment on Nanako, but Akira manages to get in the way and suddenly finds that he and Nanako have switched bodies. Akira, the now dainty and feminine female, is desperate to get back into his old body, especially after one of his long-time friends starts flirting with him. Switching back may prove difficult, though. It looks like Nanako is starting to enjoy life as a guy.

Details: 4 Volumes - Ongoing, Comedy, Shoujo, Gender Bender, Schoo Life

Why You Recommend It: I love the art style and the story. Its hilarious and you'll find yourself laughing. And its gender-bender with a twist.

Where to Get It:
http://savefile.com/projects/1064812
But Volume 1 is only have done. Theres a huge gap until is gets to Volume 2 and another gap til is gets to Volume 3, unfortunately. :(

Belldandy

Reaction score
Country
United States

Title: Shinshi Doumei Cross

Mangaka: Arina Tanemura

Summary:
In return for a business loan of 50 million yen, the prestigious Kamiya family gave their daughter Haine away to the Otomiya family. Haine, now an Otomiya, is appointed to the student council of the exclusive Imperial Academy, a private school for the aristocracy. Even though Haine is of proper lineage to be on the council, she finds herself struggling to find her place among the many secrets of its elite members, especially those of the president who holds her heart--Shizumasa Togu, aka "the Emperor."

Details: ongoing with 6 volumes (5 scanned) drama, romance, shoujo

Recommendation: The art. Oh my gosh! it has stunning art, every page is detailed and just gorgeous. It has an intricate storyline with many twists, it keep you guessing. Its jam packed with drama so good, it'll make you squeal like a fangirl (x3)

Where to get it: i believe stop tazmo has some chapters. the best way is by getting it off of MiRC via gotlurk.net

----------------------------------------
Title: Milk Crown, Milk Crown H, Milk Crown Lovers

Mangaka:Aqua Mizuto

Summary: Oto Tachibana, a 17-year-old, good-natured and caring girl, decides to earn her own school fees from now on, so she takes a job at her new school as a dormitory maid for "Class Z," an elitist class full of people with special talents. As such, she starts her new life away from her family in the dormitory, surrounded by (mainly) boys that are all a little different. Among them is Jin, the dormitory head, a boy who is amazingly strong and who keeps a "cuddly" pet at the dormitory's swimming pool - a pet shark! The quite charming and funny story revolves around the daily lives of the people in the dormitory, and in the middle is the relationship that Oto and Jin are starting to build. Milk Crown H and Lovers are the sequel.

Details: Milk crown:complete at 2 volumes, Milk Crown H: 5 volumes, Milk Crwon Lovers:4 volumes(2 volumes scanned) Comedy, ROmance, Supernatural

Recommendation: A very sweet and adorable manga. The art is very cute and the characters absolutely huggable.

Where to get it: well..the website that orignally had it died. i dont quite know where you can get it besides using Mirc...xD if i find a site with it ill post it.

mikh

Reaction score
Country
Falkland Islands

Title:Beauty pop

Mangaka:Arai kiyoko

Summary:
Although a truly gifted hairstylist, Kiri Koshiba has no interest in using her talent to pursue fame and fortune, unlike the three popular boys in the "Scissors Project" at school. They give showy makeovers to handpicked girls, determined to become the best makeover team in Japan. As much as Kiri tries to shy away from the Scissors Project spotlight, she finds herself responding to beauty's call...

Detail:Currently 7 volumes(still ongoing),4 volumes scanned and been licensed in english by VIZ media,serialized in Ciao(shogakugan).

Genre:Comedy and Shoujo

Recommendation: the main character like ryoma from pot,unpredictable story,nice plot,excellent art and you can learn about being hairstylist.

Where to get it: www.stoptazmo.com, #dragonvoice@irc.irchighway.net,dragonvice.org or buy it at your local store or at amazon.co.jp

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: Josei Manga Recommendation Thread

:( I'm surprised nobody's put any recommendation here... I'm so looking for new material to read.

Chikiti

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Im looking for a manga wish is from a boy's perspective, like, lets say, ichigo 100 % love hina, but more mature. Wish i can relate to, Manaka and Keitaro i such boring, and scared for everything haha :P

tokuroka

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Completed Romance Titles? Suggestions Please.

Well, its one month into my summer, and I've read double the amount of mangas that I read in my whole life. I just want to ask the community if they've got any suggestions for this.. Well I'm not sure what to put this thread in because I'm not only looking for shoujo, but also Shounen. And I'm hoping for completed, because I like to download it all, and then sit and read it all in one go :D. Also, I prefer it if its long. Sorry for all the restrictions and crap. ><

Here are the ones I've already read
-Pretty Face
-Ichigo 100%
-To-LOVE-Ru
-Hana Kimi
-Kare Kano
-I's
-Love Hina
-Ayashi no Ceres
-Kare First Love

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Title: Deep Love Ayu

Author: Yoshii Yu

Summary: The story about how Ayu, a high school student who leads an aimless life and ended up selling herself, thinking that only money is the most important.

Details: This is completed in 2 volumes and suited for 21+, and it has 3 other related series or sequels.
  • Deep Love - Host
  • Deep Love - Reina
  • Deep Love - Pau

Why You Recommend It: I read this to get away from the usual girly stories that shoujo series have always. Needed something more real. And yeah, read this because I heard its shocking. And It is! It has the raw sense of realism in it that bring you down to earth and wonder the life of others who lead this kind of life. The story is well thought out and I nearly cried. The artwork is beautiful as well. Some parts of it make the reading uncomfortable. So don't try it, if you think you can't handle it.

Where to Get It: Kotonoha or Mangatraders.

Rating : 8.5/10

So...did anyone manage to read any other Josei series? or the sequels to this?

moon212

Reaction score
Country
United States

Title: Goong

Author: PARK So Hee

Summary:From Ice Kunion:
Monarchy ended long ago in Korea, but there are still other countries with Kings, Queens, princes and princesses. What if Korea had continued monarchism? What if all the beautiful palaces which are now only historical relics were actually filled with people?! What if the glamorous royal family still maintained the palace customs?! Welcome to a world where Korea still has the royal family living their lives! Only for this one high school girl, Chae Gyung, this is a tragedy, since she has to marry the prince who apparently is a total bastard!

Why You Recommend It: I have read some of the manga of Goong it is a good read I highly Recommend it.

Where to Get It:www.vnmanga.com

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Title: Koukou Debut

Author: Kawahara Kazune

Summary: Haruna was a softball player in middle school who loved reading shoujo manga. When she reached high school she wanted to experience love like in the manga and get a boyfriend, but she absolutely had no sense of style and her body type isn't sexy at all. She gets a handsome guy to coach her, under one condition: NOT TO FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM.

Details:
Target Audience: Anybody in for a sweet lovey-dovey ride ;)
Number of Volumes released: Scanlated- Up to volume 08, ch30

Why You Recommend It: This manga is just so cute. ^_^ It brings you back to high school days when there are a lot of "firsts" and you have no idea what love is yet. Depending on the reader, reading about being close for the first time or realizing they like someone is either a nostalgic or lonely feeling. But despite the variety of interpretations, it makes you go "awww" all the same.

Where to Get It: You can get this at Stoptazmo.com until chapter 20. You can get the later chapters from mangatraders. NCIS scans also picked this project up, and that's why it's up to chapter 30 already.

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Title: Kaichou wa Maidsama! (The Student Council President is a Maid!)

Author: Fujiwara Hiro

Summary: Ayuzawa Misaki is the student council president of a school that's made up of 80% boys. Bad enough she has to win the respect of the boys (though most of them just fear her XD), she has to do this while hiding the truth about her part-time job. Which is, she works as a waitress in a maid cafe. One of the students who knows the truth is Usui Takumi, who is not only kickass HOT, but also in love with Misaki. He would do anything for Misaki, even if she never asked. He would always be there to rescue her, even though she doesn't need him. He would always, always, harass her, no matter how much she hates it. Their relationship is one of the best I've ever read in shoujo manga. Not overly romantic or cute, but very charming. Another plus point of the manga is Misaki's job and fellow waitresses at the maid cafe. They often have special theme days which require them to dress up in different consumes. So cute!

Details: The series runs in the shoujo magazine, LaLa, published by Hakusensha. The same magazine runs other favourites like Vampire Knight, Ouran High School Host Club, Penguin Revolution, Kiniro no Corda, and more. It currently has 3 volumes released, and the 4th is expected by the end of this year. Information for the three released volumes can be found here: http://www.s-book.com/plsql/com2_series?tid=459218431

Why I Recommend It: Though not as long as some of the other series, Maidsama is already becoming very popular in LaLa magazine. In fact, its rise in popularity is very similar to that of Host Club when it started. Not surprising, because it has the same kind of humour, crazy school antics, and even the cosplay factor of Host Club! But, it's NOT a copy so don't worry about that! Misaki is a heroine unlike any of the others. She is independent, capable, and more likely to beat up a guy than swoon in his arms. Usui is wonderful too! He has no qualms about sexually harassing displaying his affections for Misaki, and he truly cares for her. As for the art, you can see from the samples above. Gorgeous!

Where to Get It: Unfortunately, only the first chapter has been scanlated. You can get it at Aku Tenshi. This first chapter was written as a one-shot to test the audience. It was obviously very well received, and the manga was serialised 4 months after that was published. Raws of the manga (vol 1-3) are available from #lurk too.

I just realised I'm crazy to want to translate this manga because there's so much text in one chapter. -_-;; But, someone is willing to edit, so I shall try!

---

By the way, thanks to baboysai for the rec above! After reading her post, I went to download and read Koukou Debut, and it's everybit as she promised. I second her recommendation!

---

EDIT: Team Ugoff has scanlated Chapter 2 (translation by me). You can get it here: http://www.spazzythegreat.com/kaichou.html

Last edited:

urdtakako

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Title: Zig * Zag

Author: Nakaji Yuki

Summary:
From Maboroshi:
Freshly enrolled in Seifuu Academy, Takaaki Asakura (aka. Taiyou*-kun) is now living in a boys’ dormitory. He has a strange and incomprehensible roommate named Sonoh Kirihara. Furthermore, his neighbor is Tatsuki Suwa, whom he hasn't seen since elementary school!? Meanwhile, he becomes friends with his classmates, Saho and Mei, and has high hopes for his new school life! This is the first volume of a gorgeous (Heart) BOYS Graffiti series!!

Details: Series published in LaLa magazine, Hakusensha. This series has currently 6 volumes (raw) and is still ongoing =]

Why You Recommend It: Nakaji Yuki sensei's first series "Venus wa kataomoi" is a very good series which the mangaka likes to draw cute romances between the couples XD This series has proven to be another master piece which makes the readers addicted to her stories ^^ her art is also one of the simple-but-nice drawings especially her bishies!! *drools*

Where to Get It: Maboroshi Edited Manga are currently having this series as their projects! More information here: Manga Updates

Last edited:

urdtakako

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Title: Boys Este

Author: Masaki Soko

Summary:
From becrys: Akagi Hibiki, a high schooler who takes up a part-time job at an esthetic salon, and is said to have a "god hand" for his superb massaging technique. Romance begins after he meets another high schooler named Koiwai Shizuka, who becomes insecure about her looks due to insensitive comments by her boyfriend.

Why You Recommend It: Was looking around for this series after watching the drama-tized version for the manga ^^ The mangaka's art is very cute and the story is pretty practical ^^; Ongoing series with 6 volumes at the moment =]

Where to Get It: becrys uploaded some of the chinese raws at Esthetique and i managed to rent it at a local manga store =]

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Moon, I really enjoyed Goong! Thanks a lot!

rakka981

Reaction score
Country
United States

love mode and challengers