Character - The Tanjirou Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character The Tanjirou Thread

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This thread is for Tanjirous character discussion, and theories/predictions you might have for him.

-Stray

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Since this boy is my favorite character in the bunch of amazing characters in the KnY verse, I dib 1st post!
That being said Im always fascinated at the idea that Tanjirou is what Yoriichi would have been if Yoriichi wasn't born with the birthmark and the possible ability of *see through world* at an early age without training. Gist of it is I think Tanjirou is the normal not very much gifted ver of Yoriichi, I say not very much since Tanjirou does have a gift, his sense of smell is definitely not normal lol.

levi12

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
So Tanjiro does have Breath of the sun all along they change the name to dance of fire god. Though his skills and ability are in pale in comparison to Yoriichi.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
He's a cute cinnamon bun.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Since this boy is my favorite character in the bunch of amazing characters in the KnY verse, I dib 1st post!
That being said Im always fascinated at the idea that Tanjirou is what Yoriichi would have been if Yoriichi wasn't born with the birthmark and the possible ability of *see through world* at an early age without training. Gist of it is I think Tanjirou is the normal not very much gifted ver of Yoriichi, I say not very much since Tanjirou does have a gift, his sense of smell is definitely not normal lol.
Tanjirou is nowhere as talented as Yoriichi but I wouldn't say that he isn't gifted.

levi12

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Tanjirou is nowhere as talented as Yoriichi but I wouldn't say that he isn't gifted.
agree but he is nowhere near as talent and as strong as Yoriichi. No one is though so far. Tanjiro is talent like that sense of his smell of his he isn t completely untalented.

Yoriichi can beat two upper moons at his prime easily In my opinion.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
In general I'd say tanjiro is very gifted. Of course he puts in the work to boot but learning breaths is something that specifically requires you to have an aptitude and talent for it. And there is the issue of whether you are even suited to a breath style.

And... when it comes to tanjiro I would still make the point that the way his training was carried out has significantly held him back. Compare how tanjiro and kanao have been trained. Urokodaki trained tanjiro for a year and then left him to figure out the final part by cutting a rock. Which tanjiro largely achieved because ghost children trained him. So clearly tanjiro not having figured this out on his own is not an issue. The issue is urokodaki actively and explicitly sabotaging tanjiro. In turn shinobu was trained to the end by shinobu. Heck, it wasn't explicitly stated but as far as I can tell kanao went to the final examination having already mastered full focus breath. Meanwhile tanjiro learned it from those 3 little girls at the butterfly manor. Which is so astonishingly stupid its actually one of the most glaring flaws in the series. I can understand inosuke not knowing about this since he taught himself how to use a breath style BUT there is no reason for former pillars to not have included this in their training for tanjiro and zenitsu other than to serve the plot. This is so inane those 3 little girls at the manor were more relevant teachers to tanjiro and zenitsu than their actual teachers.

everythingnice

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
I do not know how I feel about Tanjirou.

Whenever Tanjirou interacts with Zenitsu, I love him because he's so kind to him. He's one of the few people who appreciate Zenitsu for who he is.

Other times, he's just so boring and unlikable, and Dance of the Fire God is imo boring, even though it does have some amazing visuals. I liked Tanjirou with Breath of Water better.

I guess I don't exactly hate him, but I wanted something more for his personality other than being so kind all the time except to Zenitsu and getting angry whenever someone insults Nezuko. Does he have human flaws? None that I've seen yet, or maybe I've just forgotten.

He has had development and I'm grateful for that, especially after Rengoku's death. Most of the other times, he kills and feels bad. Not that I hate this, but is there a reason for Tanjirou to feel bad for demons when all of them caused suffering to the people around him and Muzan turned his own sister into a demon? Except that Nezuko is a demon herself, of course. Or maybe it's just me that hasn't fully grasped this character of his.

I guess his friendship with Zenitsu/Inosuke and possible romance with Kanao are the only things I look forward to for Tanjirou.

Laminariales

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I do not know how I feel about Tanjirou.

Whenever Tanjirou interacts with Zenitsu, I love him because he's so kind to him. He's one of the few people who appreciate Zenitsu for who he is.

Other times, he's just so boring and unlikable, and Dance of the Fire God is imo boring, even though it does have some amazing visuals. I liked Tanjirou with Breath of Water better.

I guess I don't exactly hate him, but I wanted something more for his personality other than being so kind all the time except to Zenitsu and getting angry whenever someone insults Nezuko. Does he have human flaws? None that I've seen yet, or maybe I've just forgotten.

He has had development and I'm grateful for that, especially after Rengoku's death. Most of the other times, he kills and feels bad. Not that I hate this, but is there a reason for Tanjirou to feel bad for demons when all of them caused suffering to the people around him and Muzan turned his own sister into a demon? Except that Nezuko is a demon herself, of course. Or maybe it's just me that hasn't fully grasped this character of his.

I guess his friendship with Zenitsu/Inosuke and possible romance with Kanao are the only things I look forward to for Tanjirou.
Tanjrou is a dependable nice lad, for me I adore his character immensely especially when compared with other shounen MCs, his hallmark is being patient, dependable and kind, as an older sibling he's almost a father figure in his family so he's used to being in charge of taking care of them, his younger sibling probably spent more time with him than their father.

hmm flaws, none he's an ideal man and friend, there was a chapter where nezuko scolds him for apologizing all the time, and in the first novel she got angry when he got injured bringing her the flower that bring happiness wanting him to think of his happiness as well as hers (However she and tanjirou are really similar in self sacrificing and getting worked up for others if we took tanjirou flashbacks and their little brother ghost talk in red light district arc into account )

Actually his compassion with the demons resonate with me I mean it's out of their control, the scene where yushiro remember how tamayo turned him is just devastating, imagine muzan and no emotion, every time I cry over a demon past I'm just like damn you muzann! it was one wrong choice, one moment of weakness or most times their opinions wasn't taken into account they are pitiful, must be obliterated, but pitiful,,,they'll never meat their families again. He explained it well to giyuu, I wont hesitate but I wont step on their emotion. but that does send me into thought what type of tanjirou would we have if nezuko was an actual demon and got killed by giyuu

and I find it funny that although his the overall vibe is kind and gentle, on first meetings: he hit zenitsu when he was clingy to the girl on the side of the road, broke inosuke ribs for attacking the box and beating up zenitsu, broke genya arm for attacking the ubuyashiki girl, and of course the famous headbutts (sanemi and rengoku sir)

I agree water > hinokami , but his red sword is awesome

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Tanjiro is.... what naruto was supposed to be in a sense. Naruto was originally supposed to be about a kid that worked hard and got results because of that hard work. But as the manga advanced... it became clear that naruto didn't really achieve anything that couldn't be explained better by his senju genes. Tanjiro in turn consistently exhibits a solid work ethic and can do attitude which is what gets him results. And he doesn't exactly exist in a bubble where he is the only one who works hard and gets results. We have seen that zenitsu and inosuke can also succeeds when they put in the work. Of course, talent and aptitude do play a part on whether someone can become a strong demon slayer, specially with the hashira, but the way things are shown by tanjiro you really get a sense of how much of a grind it all has been from the start and to this point.

That said, tanjiro is at times.... to perfect in a way. his overall purity is not really the most interesting of character traits.

levi12

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Tanjiro is.... what naruto was supposed to be in a sense. Naruto was originally supposed to be about a kid that worked hard and got results because of that hard work. But as the manga advanced... it became clear that naruto didn't really achieve anything that couldn't be explained better by his senju genes. Tanjiro in turn consistently exhibits a solid work ethic and can do attitude which is what gets him results. And he doesn't exactly exist in a bubble where he is the only one who works hard and gets results. We have seen that zenitsu and inosuke can also succeeds when they put in the work. Of course, talent and aptitude do play a part on whether someone can become a strong demon slayer, specially with the hashira, but the way things are shown by tanjiro you really get a sense of how much of a grind it all has been from the start and to this point.

That said, tanjiro is at times.... to perfect in a way. his overall purity is not really the most interesting of character traits.
Tanjiro and Naruto are nothing alike in personality and demeanour though. I love Tanjiro because of his kindness,Friendly and gentle personality though.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tanjirou is the best Shounen protagonist.

everythingnice

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Tanjrou is a dependable nice lad, for me I adore his character immensely especially when compared with other shounen MCs, his hallmark is being patient, dependable and kind, as an older sibling he's almost a father figure in his family so he's used to being in charge of taking care of them, his younger sibling probably spent more time with him than their father.

hmm flaws, none he's an ideal man and friend, there was a chapter where nezuko scolds him for apologizing all the time, and in the first novel she got angry when he got injured bringing her the flower that bring happiness wanting him to think of his happiness as well as hers (However she and tanjirou are really similar in self sacrificing and getting worked up for others if we took tanjirou flashbacks and their little brother ghost talk in red light district arc into account )

Actually his compassion with the demons resonate with me I mean it's out of their control, the scene where yushiro remember how tamayo turned him is just devastating, imagine muzan and no emotion, every time I cry over a demon past I'm just like damn you muzann! it was one wrong choice, one moment of weakness or most times their opinions wasn't taken into account they are pitiful, must be obliterated, but pitiful,,,they'll never meat their families again. He explained it well to giyuu, I wont hesitate but I wont step on their emotion. but that does send me into thought what type of tanjirou would we have if nezuko was an actual demon and got killed by giyuu

and I find it funny that although his the overall vibe is kind and gentle, on first meetings: he hit zenitsu when he was clingy to the girl on the side of the road, broke inosuke ribs for attacking the box and beating up zenitsu, broke genya arm for attacking the ubuyashiki girl, and of course the famous headbutts (sanemi and rengoku sir)

I agree water > hinokami , but his red sword is awesome
Yes, you just described why I find him boring. But at the very least, I don't actually hate him. It's just that his ideals are a bit too perfect. There is particularly nothing wrong with that, but imo Tanjirou should have had a personality flaw to overcome, but he doesn't so it's what makes him boring to me. Otherwise he's fine.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Tanjiro and Naruto are nothing alike in personality and demeanour though. I love Tanjiro because of his kindness,Friendly and gentle personality though.
Ah, definitely, but that sort of isn't my point. My point was more about the hard work thing which is present with both characters. With the way naruto achieves stuff you don't really get much of a sense of how much a grind everything is. And as the manga advances it becomes increasingly obvious that the bulk of what naruto achieves is due to his magical alien talent genes. With tanjiro his training is legitimately a grind. The manga starts with over a year or two of tanjiro training and making a point of how he is training until like it feels his arms are going to fall off. On the hard work aspect tanjiro works magnitudes of order better than naruto ever did.

levi12

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Ah, definitely, but that sort of isn't my point. My point was more about the hard work thing which is present with both characters. With the way naruto achieves stuff you don't really get much of a sense of how much a grind everything is. And as the manga advances it becomes increasingly obvious that the bulk of what naruto achieves is due to his magical alien talent genes. With tanjiro his training is legitimately a grind. The manga starts with over a year or two of tanjiro training and making a point of how he is training until like it feels his arms are going to fall off. On the hard work aspect tanjiro works magnitudes of order better than naruto ever did.
I agree with you
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yes, you just described why I find him boring. But at the very least, I don't actually hate him. It's just that his ideals are a bit too perfect. There is particularly nothing wrong with that, but imo Tanjirou should have had a personality flaw to overcome, but he doesn't so it's what makes him boring to me. Otherwise he's fine.
I disagree with you Tanjiro far from boring. To each our own I suppose.

everythingnice

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
My only issue with this series is that Tanjiro is the least developed character, nezuko for 2nd place.

I care more about Inosuke and zenitsu + the side characters more than those 2.
I agree. For being the main character, Tanjirou really is boring and doesn't get much growth in personality, he's basically the same Tanjirou since Chapter 1 (or even Chapter 2). Zenitsu (I still can't get over how badass he was against Kaigaku), Inosuke, Genya are leagues better. I do think Nezuko has had more development than Obanai (I believe his backstory will come during his death like with Rengoku so my opinion may change), plus I guess (somewhat, only somewhat) Mitsuri, Sanemi, Giyuu (only my opinion I guess I find Giyuu to be pretty boring as well, completely different from how badass I imagined him to be in Chapter 1 but he does have some development, though for me his backstory just made Sabito even more likable).

Piratehunter Zoro

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I agree. For being the main character, Tanjirou really is boring and doesn't get much growth in personality, he's basically the same Tanjirou since Chapter 1 (or even Chapter 2). Zenitsu (I still can't get over how badass he was against Kaigaku), Inosuke, Genya are leagues better. I do think Nezuko has had more development than Obanai (I believe his backstory will come during his death like with Rengoku so my opinion may change), plus I guess (somewhat, only somewhat) Mitsuri, Sanemi, Giyuu (only my opinion I guess I find Giyuu to be pretty boring as well, completely different from how badass I imagined him to be in Chapter 1 but he does have some development, though for me his backstory just made Sabito even more likable).
What kind of growth do you want to see? Tanjirou is a very righteous character that has almost no flaws. He is playing the counterpart of the demons who are full of flaws, bloodthirst and simply unjust. To be more specific: He is playing the counterpart of Muzan. It has been a good vs. evil story right from the beginning. Tanjirou is the ideal of the "good". It is unfair to say he is boring because he simply isn't.

He has shown a lot of growth. From a weakling to a pillar level demon slayer. From a doubter to a believer. From a water-style user to a fire-style user. Drawing the right conclusions from tragic moments. Making friends along the way. Having confrontations and still finding common ground with confrontational characters. All of that broadened his horizon from just caring about Nezuko and Muzan to caring about his friends, mentors and humanity in general.

There is still a lot of mystery around Kamado Tanjirou. There is still plenty of room for growth. Sorry, but saying he is boring is just telling me that you haven't paid attention to his growth.

everythingnice

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
What kind of growth do you want to see? Tanjirou is a very righteous character that has almost no flaws. He is playing the counterpart of the demons who are full of flaws, bloodthirst and simply unjust. To be more specific: He is playing the counterpart of Muzan. It has been a good vs. evil story right from the beginning. Tanjirou is the ideal of the "good". It is unfair to say he is boring because he simply isn't.

He has shown a lot of growth. From a weakling to a pillar level demon slayer. From a doubter to a believer. From a water-style user to a fire-style user. Drawing the right conclusions from tragic moments. Making friends along the way. Having confrontations and still finding common ground with confrontational characters. All of that broadened his horizon from just caring about Nezuko and Muzan to caring about his friends, mentors and humanity in general.

There is still a lot of mystery around Kamado Tanjirou. There is still plenty of room for growth. Sorry, but saying he is boring is just telling me that you haven't paid attention to his growth.
I want to see his growth, in a way like overcoming his flaws. Which he hasn't any, which you mentioned. This really makes him unrelatable, well for me anyway, but I do understand his ideals can be something to learn from. Tanjirou being the "ideal of good" makes him predictable. We all know how he would react upon hearing Akaza's story, or react upon Douma's story. Not gonna lie, I knew that when Tanjirou would hear about Shinobu, Muichirou, and Genya's death, he would cry. Particularly nothing wrong with that, having sympathy for people you were friends with is nothing new, especially for a character like Tanjirou. That's why I say he's boring. He's just too predictable. Do you think he would have reacted any differently before he got over his "doubts"? No.

The growth you mentioned, describing it in his power and strength. I know he got over the doubts he had, drawing the right conclusions from tragic moments (even though there was only this one time with Rengoku). The thing is, with Rengoku's death, he was not "should I really feel bad for the demons?" (personality development), but more like "I couldn't do a single thing" (strength development), which later turned into a personality speech by Inosuke. (I don't know how to word better).
Yes, making friends, "righting" them (not that I hate it because I love how his friends don't always do the right thing), caring for humanity, basically the same thing as "ideals of good".

Mystery? I don't know, I don't find any mystery about his personality. It's just the way he is. Power wise, you could say that since he has that connection with Sun Breath which belonged to Yoriichi, but even then that mystery belongs to the Kamado family in general, along with Nezuko who seems to have conquered the Sun because of her family connections with Yoriichi. So yeah, plenty of growth for him in his power and strength as a Demon Slayer, because he does have powerups in every major fight he is in, but just not in personality.

I do admit I don't pay much attention to his character, but that doesn't mean I forget what he does, why he does, when he does, and how he does.

But, well, I do think Yoriichi is even more boring than him.

Last edited:

ShutUpKid

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Uchiha Clan
Giyuu > Tanjirou,
Tanjirou is just another Naruto L