Discussion - The Xiao Mei Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Xiao Mei Discussion Thread

Jko

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Technically she's only the narrator for now. She'll be introduced prolly sometime after Shiki gets a massive boost, and starts fighting bigger threats in the verse.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I hope she remains a narrator.If this story takes a darker path,Xiao Mei maybe the narrator who is narrating the story after both Shiki and Rebecca died.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
She's the narrator, which gives the impression she's speaking far into the future.

I could buy she's a goddess or similar. Even related to Mother.

Does her Chinese(?) name suggest that she was from a different era entirely? Or location??

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be a waste of character design if she's just a narrator. Xaoi Mei is going to be more important and central to the story later on. Xaoi Mei even says that you can think of her as a narrator "for now", and that we'll learn about her later on.

She's like Lucy or Deku when they narrate the story, but we don't think of those characters as actual narrators.

Xaoi Mei, Mother, and Chronosphage are being set up to be top brass in the verse. Itll probably be a long time until they meet or fight one of them.

Edit: But I can't believe I never noticed but Xaoi Mei broke the fourth wall lol.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
It would be a waste of character design if she's just a narrator. Xaoi Mei is going to be more important and central to the story later on. Xaoi Mei even says that you can think of her as a narrator "for now", and that we'll learn about her later on.

She's like Lucy or Deku when they narrate the story, but we don't think of those characters as actual narrators.

Xaoi Mei, Mother, and Chronosphage are being set up to be top brass in the verse. Itll probably be a long time until they meet or fight one of them.
Maybe she is like Void from Berserk who both narrated the story and also played a crucial role,if you read Berserk you will understand what i am trying to say.

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
The competing forces of Chronophage (time) and Mother (space) almost to be Ma’at (balance) and Apophis (chaos). Xiao Mei looks to be a lesser god if she’s really one, or someone who has required the title of that. I still say she reminds me of Ultear, and the fact that she exists outside of time is like young Ultear imprinting herself outside of time. As someone who watches outside of time, she could very easily tell the story because she might see it all at once (whether it’s 1000 years ago or 20,000 years into the future). What I really want her to be is someone who brings something to the story as oppose to just having an interesting backstory. Her design is too good to let go, but I don’t want Mashima to just keep introducing interesting characters. We already have 13-14 interesting named characters in 11 chapters. The fact that she is female means Mashima will make her important at least in one arc. Looking forward to more about her.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
What a mystery she is. I honestly don't even begin to know what to make of her. She's a Watcher from Marvel comics.

I'd agree with Brandish that she's someone from the future except for the fact that one of the things she says is that "Time doesn't really mean much.". I don't even know what that means but I love it. It's so weird. Even now like 6 chapters later after having moved on from that planet we still have no idea what she was talking about.

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess is she a random pretty mashima created for a potential plot point that he may or may not address.

Niqq22

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What if she’s connected to the time eaters?

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I figure she’s probably connected to the larger plots like Mother and the Chronophage. That’s why we won’t see her in not important arcs or arcs that introduce new characters. Thinking if the current arc lasts for awhile, she will appear the next one.... If Mashima randomly thought up her and has no plans for her at the moment, she might disappear from the story for a couple years. :emocat Sadness....

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I figure she’s probably connected to the larger plots like Mother and the Chronophage. That’s why we won’t see her in not important arcs or arcs that introduce new characters. Thinking if the current arc lasts for awhile, she will appear the next one.... If Mashima randomly thought up her and has no plans for her at the moment, she might disappear from the story for a couple years. :emocat Sadness....
I doubt he just thought her up at random especially this early on. He said on Twitter he got new ideas each time with EZ, so safe to say Xiao is one of those ideas he will execute on and her true purpose later on.

Altuzer Von G Dust D

Reaction score
Country
Nicaragua
She is a Psychopath with Fetishes for Fights.