The yoropiko thread♪

Status
Not open for further replies.

momodaisuki

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
200
Reaction score
79
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
I've been around for a few months, working on a number of series i.e. DGM, Muhyo & Roujie, Naruto, Over Time, Zan, etc. So this is a bit late for an introduction, but it's past 7am, I can't go to sleep, I'm feeling all bubbly, and so I figured this would be a good time to start♪ Yippee~ >∀<

I'm half Japanese and half Singaporean (愛は国境を越えるのさ ☆ミ), and I've spent about half of my life in each country. I'm reasonably fluent in English and Japanese (but hopeless in any other language). As to the level of my Japanese, I passed JLPT Level 1 some years ago...and I took Japanese A1 (i.e. as first lang) in the IB (← a traumatic high school program, if anyone would like to relate 'u<b)

(So I'm feeling bubbly but that's all I can come up with while still sounding coherent σωσ) But I hope that covers all the practical details~. I'm open to all sorts questions & feel free to comment on my translations (but pls go easy on me~ >u<ゞ) でゎ②、yoroshiku~☆
 

yeste

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
551
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Vatican City State
Hi yoropiko!
What mangas do you like/ do you read mangas at all???
 

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
5,646
Reaction score
561
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
yoropiko said:
I'm reasonably fluent in English and Japanese (but hopeless in any other language)
Well still you're doing really wonderful translations and I adore you for that =)

So what is better Japan or Singapor?
 

momodaisuki

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
200
Reaction score
79
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
yeste said:
What mangas do you like/ do you read mangas at all???
Yup, I read a healthy dose of mangas e.g. CLAMP, GetBackers, Kimiwa Pet, Mushishi, Nana, and almost everything in Jump (esp. like DGM, Gintama, Muhyo >u<b)

des said:
So what is better Japan or Singapor?
Well...I like both, I guess. When I'm in one I miss the other (e.g. right now I'm missing the food in Singapore lol)
 

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
5,646
Reaction score
561
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
yoropiko said:
Well...I like both, I guess. When I'm in one I miss the other (e.g. right now I'm missing the food in Singapore lol)
So whats you favourite food there? I guess it will sound strange for me xD
 

momodaisuki

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
200
Reaction score
79
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Favorite? Carrot cake, I think. But not the cake carrot cake with the carrots inside -- I don't know why they call it that ^ ^ゞ Otah② sounds good to me too~ (something spicy made of fish) & fried kway teow (flat noodles)... ぐーぎゅるるるぅ... I'm getting hungry lol
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
愛は国境を越えるのさ
It sure does - just like 漫画 :amuse

I personally hate 国境s. I live next to the biggest one in the world, so I have reason to, though.

Ok, some basic questions:

1. How was it that you started doing translations?

2. How did you find mangahelpers?

3. Have you found it difficult working on as many translations as you are? I'm just amazed that you manage at all. I'd find it impossible, personally, so ... I believe the expression is 尊敬しっちゃうよ... :amuse

4. Besides translations, what are you occupied with now and what are your dreams for the future?

5. What sort of manga do you enjoy reading the most? How about translating?

以上 :)
 

yeste

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
551
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Vatican City State
That’s a lot of mangas! I’m kind of new to the mangaverse, so unfortunately I don’t know much from your list… :p

I have a couple more questions, if you don’t mind…

Does your nick/username stand for anything or is it just a nick?

What kind of music do you like?/Do you like music?

Do you like to draw? Who’s your favorite Naruto character?

Hmmm… how old are you? Nevermind that! You are in Japan, right???

Do you like going out/hanging out with your friends? Where do you like to go? I mean do you go clubbing… or have a favorite place to hang out with friends…

What do you like to do in your own free time?
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What do you think about Gintama?
It grow slowly on me, then hooked me and then disappointed me.
 

momodaisuki

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
200
Reaction score
79
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Iwanin said:
Ok, some basic questions:

1. How was it that you started doing translations?

2. How did you find mangahelpers?

3. Have you found it difficult working on as many translations as you are? I'm just amazed that you manage at all. I'd find it impossible, personally, so ... I believe the expression is 尊敬しっちゃうよ... :amuse

4. Besides translations, what are you occupied with now and what are your dreams for the future?

5. What sort of manga do you enjoy reading the most? How about translating?

以上 :)
うわぁお、本格的な質問↑(笑)

2. I was looking for the latest raw Jump chapters (I think it was One Piece) using a search engine and then MH popped up~
ホント何てくだらないきっかけなんでしょう・・・恥ずかしいw

1. Well, the first trans I ever did was DGM ch. 76 (on MH) and... I felt guilty for just leeching off the site all the time so... I just wanted to do something in return...? サ、サービス精神ってコトで・・・(汗) But then I got to know a lot of people who've made translating really fun for me, so right now I'm really enjoying it 'u<b (う、上手くまとまったかな?w)

3. Difficult? Well, sometimes. 現に I skipped last week's Naruto and I won't be continuing with all the series I'm working on... But I'm guessing my life as a translator's going to be short-lived (until I go back to studying), so I want to do as much as I can right now.
仕事と両立していける方が私は尊敬しますよ ☆o☆(笑)

4. I'm going to be studying medicine, so right now I'm trying to enjoy my last few months b4 school starts as much as I can. Which I suppose means that at the moment I'm doing a lot of translations ("besides translations", hmm...) and bothering some people a lot? lol But I thought it's really great that a manga site can be linked to a call for bone marrow donors (here) ホントに皆さん様②ですよ・・・(感動)

5. What sort of manga? (な、何と漠然な・・・w) I guess I like manga/books that give me something to think about, but I can enjoy totally senseless stories too~. (Anything except for pure sports, I suppose >u<) Well, for translating, I'm tempted to say anything with very little text. But then again, I really enjoy it when the words used in Japanese have a lot of implications that can't be easily translated into English. Actually mostly everything that's enjoyable to read is enjoyable to translate though. The only thing I dread is the idea of translating Japanese puns that go on and on like the "Rouga" one in One Piece...(あれをやった方々、本当にお疲れ様でした・・・w)

[br]Posted on: August 10, 2006, 10:14:20 AM_________________________________________________
yeste said:
That’s a lot of mangas! I’m kind of new to the mangaverse, so unfortunately I don’t know much from your list… :p
lol I can give you a much longer list, but that'll just make everyone sick >u< And yes, for some reason I seem to like the more minor manga, so I'm sure you aren't the only one~

Does your nick/username stand for anything or is it just a nick?
My nickname is a modification of the Japanese word "yoroshiku" which has...a I-hope-we'll-get-along feeling to it (for lack of a better explanation ・x ・) Well, my friends call me "Yopiko" so I took "yoroshiku" and mashed the two together to get this. Tada~☆ >∀<ノ

What kind of music do you like?/Do you like music?
I listen to both english and j-pop. (If you'd like a recommendation for j-pop, check out Radwimps♪'u<b)

Do you like to draw? Who’s your favorite Naruto character?
Hmmm… how old are you? Nevermind that! You are in Japan, right???
Do you like going out/hanging out with your friends? Where do you like to go? I mean do you go clubbing… or have a favorite place to hang out with friends…
What do you like to do in your own free time?
Yup, I enjoy drawing. Naruto character?...Tobi? lol (still fresh) Yes, I'm in Japan. Yup, I go out quite often with my friends. Just to chat about things that couldn't matter any less (-- Girls. *rolls eyes*) and I don't go clubbing but we go to the karaoke every now and then♪Free time = sleeping & playing-with-Momo (my dog) time (or translating/chatting time nowadays >u<)

Luckas04 said:
What do you think about Gintama?
It grow slowly on me, then hooked me and then disappointed me.
The story doesn't get anywhere, but for some reason I really like it~ (ツボ②) Just seeing Sadaharu is enough to make me laugh ・∀ ・。 Actually I haven't read a large middle portion yet, so that may be the difference? But I found the last few chapters hilarious (e.g. the one with Katsura and the mole...)
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
yoropiko said:
The story doesn't get anywhere, but for some reason I really like it~ (ツボ②) Just seeing Sadaharu is enough to make me laugh ・∀ ・。 Actually I haven't read a large middle portion yet, so that may be the difference? But I found the last few chapters hilarious (e.g. the one with Katsura and the mole...)
I can read only Edited Mangas, so I read up to chapter 24.
 

yeste

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
551
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Vatican City State
yoropiko said:
My nickname is a modification of the Japanese word "yoroshiku" which has...a I-hope-we'll-get-along feeling to it (for lack of a better explanation ・x ・) Well, my friends call me "Yopiko" so I took "yoroshiku" and mashed the two together to get this. Tada~☆ >∀<ノ

I listen to both english and j-pop. (If you'd like a recommendation for j-pop, check out Radwimps♪'u<b)
I’ve checked them out… They’re OK, but I burn a little higher fuel… ( Punk Rock!!! And more Punk Rock, and then some alternative from the 90’s ! :p ), thanks anyway!!!

Heh, thanks for replying, you’re pretty cool, wish you luck, bye!!!!
 

shinwei

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
526
Reaction score
31
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Since you lived in Singapore, didn't you have to learn Mandarin?
 

momodaisuki

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
200
Reaction score
79
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
@yeste
ノω<。...dunno about the "cool" part, but thanx for the post~☆

@Shinwei
Hmm, I went back to Singapore in 7th grade, so I didn't have to learn Chinese (I guess it was ok since I had a substitute 2nd-lang too). But I would like to learn Mandarin...although I've tried and failed miserably before >∀<ゞ
I suppose you're a bit familiar with the country? ・∀ ・ ?
 

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
<3 Mandarin, I've started to learn it fairly recently. Decently fun language if you have the stomach for endless repetition of the characters for memorization. Of course, you know Japanese so you apparently do.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,235
Reaction score
1,272
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Welcome to MH, yoropiko and thank you for taking the time to help us out with translating here. You seem like an awesome person :)

I noticed that you liked Tobi. Do you have any theories regarding him? Or hopes about what he will contribute to the series? He's a fascinating character to many. XD
 

Steel

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi yoropiko. Me and a couple of my friends made a Edited Manga group called #blood and were wondering if you want to join our group since you are already translate. We'd really appreciate it and would love to have you. :amuse

Edit: Oh yea, Im sorry but I forgot to mention that we are going to be scanalating bleach
 

momodaisuki

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
200
Reaction score
79
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
zindryr said:
<3 Mandarin, I've started to learn it fairly recently. Decently fun language if you have the stomach for endless repetition of the characters for memorization. Of course, you know Japanese so you apparently do.
Well, I've never really thought of learning how to write Chinese (most seem to get the jest even if you write in Kanji so... *lazy-bum* σωσ). But I found the intonation/accents quite difficult -- Oh, I will so love Cantonese >∀<。 -- and trying to learn all those words... *shudder* I guess as tempting as it is, language just isn't the thing for me lol

Gold Knight said:
Welcome to MH, yoropiko and thank you for taking the time to help us out with translating here. You seem like an awesome person :)

I noticed that you liked Tobi. Do you have any theories regarding him? Or hopes about what he will contribute to the series? He's a fascinating character to many. XD
Haha, thank you Gk♪-- You seem like a great person yourself 'u<
Sorry, I'm not much of a Naruto fan so I read the story and that's the end for me. But I like Tobi because he's a bit off for a member of the Akatsuki lol. I just wonder how he's going to contribute to the "feared" Akatsuki...ふふふ Φ∀Φ

Steel said:
Hi yoropiko. Me and a couple of my friends made a Edited Manga group called #blood and were wondering if you want to join our group since you are already translate. We'd really appreciate it and would love to have you. :amuse

Edit: Oh yea, Im sorry but I forgot to mention that we are going to be scanalating bleach
Hmm... Is there any reason you don't want to use the translations that are on MH already? I've got quite a number of projects on me at the moment, so if I were to do it, I can't promise quick and regular translations... Sorry about that ´・x ・`ゞ
 

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Down with Cantonese and their nine tones! The only real pronounciation I have a problem with is the 'r', but I think I've got that down. Tones aren't that bad, you just get used to them in the end.
 

Steel

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Oh, well thanks for you time anyway :amuse.

The reason we dont use regular translations is because alot of translators dont want their work used in Edited Mangas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top