Discussion - Thinking About Making an Infographic on Shingeki no Kyojin | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Thinking About Making an Infographic on Shingeki no Kyojin

tonyyao82

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I was wondering what do you think about someone making an infographic on the popularity of the series. It's unbelievable how much attention it's getting. I want to do something that shows how powerful the series is.

I want to do something similar to the One Piece infographic that came out a while back. http://visual.ly/one-piece-numbers

Any advice on how to properly make a shareable and informative infographic?

teioh

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Keep calm and wait till the anime is finished (2X episode not more) and the live action will be screened than try to do something similar.

Off-topic: really annoying how people comments via Facebook that infographic page with sentence like "Naruto is the best" LOL, so childish...

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It's always very interesting to see these. I do somewhat agree with teioh though, you should be able to have a lot more to share once the anime's over and done, and maybe even when they start selling Blu-rays/DVDs. More information means more interesting.

Though I have absolutely no idea where you can get the figures, statistics and whatnot, I'm sure if you do Japan-only, it'll be a lot easier since they tend to have a lot of numbers for these things. You can also include randomly interesting figures by gathering data from within the manga, if you can think of something more interesting than "number of pages Mikasa appears in" lol :P

In the designing aspect, the main idea is to get information across without having to 'read properly.' This means when you see a graph, you shouldn't have to read every word to straightaway know what the graph is about. This also means the formatting really counts, for example as you can see, in the "manga-cover appearance" section, the more appearance a character gets, the bigger their icon.

A graphic designer friend did slightly similar stuff in quite a creative way some years back:
http://www.visualnews.com/2011/05/18/if-the-world-were-a-village-of-100-people/
The way these are presented is so that you have a general idea straightaway what the chart is about. The massive word in bold font as the title for each graph is very helpful even if you don't read everything.

I think what the One Piece one is missing right now is the lack of funky designs, to give it all a One Piece feel. It could be as simple as using a skull instead of a dot for a point on a graph.

The "manga-cover appearance" is nice, but it doesn't stand out as much as it should. If it were me, I would have made a silhouette of each character and make some sort bar chart using them or something else. Because circles on their own are boring, frankly.

Also, if you look at the 'Popularity' section (last section,) the colours aren't very consistent. The 41% is represented by a dark colour in the first pie chart, but then the next two numbers are represented by a light colour. It's very confusing if you're not reading it carefully, meaning it's not at the full potential of what an infographic can give you.

Negative comments aside, the overall use of colours and shadings are very very pleasant. It makes people think, wow this is pro stuff.

Finally, as good statisticians should do, include your sources and the "All data is accurate as of DATE" disclaimer. If you find numbers from Wikipedia, source their source (located right at the bottom) not the Wiki page itself! The stats-unrelated opening sentence on the One Piece one saying "via Wikipedia" is fine.

Probably more ideas later. I'll stop writing here for now.

Last edited:

tonyyao82

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's always very interesting to see these. I do somewhat agree with teioh though, you should be able to have a lot more to share once the anime's over and done, and maybe even when they start selling Blu-rays/DVDs. More information means more interesting.

Though I have absolutely no idea where you can get the figures, statistics and whatnot, I'm sure if you do Japan-only, it'll be a lot easier since they tend to have a lot of numbers for these things. You can also include randomly interesting figures by gathering data from within the manga, if you can think of something more interesting than "number of pages Mikasa appears in" lol :P

In the designing aspect, the main idea is to get information across without having to 'read properly.' This means when you see a graph, you shouldn't have to read every word to straightaway know what the graph is about. This also means the formatting really counts, for example as you can see, in the "manga-cover appearance" section, the more appearance a character gets, the bigger their icon.

A graphic designer friend did slightly similar stuff in quite a creative way some years back:
http://www.visualnews.com/2011/05/18/if-the-world-were-a-village-of-100-people/
The way these are presented is so that you have a general idea straightaway what the chart is about. The massive word in bold font as the title for each graph is very helpful even if you don't read everything.

I think what the One Piece one is missing right now is the lack of funky designs, to give it all a One Piece feel. It could be as simple as using a skull instead of a dot for a point on a graph.

The "manga-cover appearance" is nice, but it doesn't stand out as much as it should. If it were me, I would have made a silhouette of each character and make some sort bar chart using them or something else. Because circles on their own are boring, frankly.

Also, if you look at the 'Popularity' section (last section,) the colours aren't very consistent. The 41% is represented by a dark colour in the first pie chart, but then the next two numbers are represented by a light colour. It's very confusing if you're not reading it carefully, meaning it's not at the full potential of what an infographic can give you.

Negative comments aside, the overall use of colours and shadings are very very pleasant. It makes people think, wow this is pro stuff.

Finally, as good statisticians should do, include your sources and the "All data is accurate as of DATE" disclaimer. If you find numbers from Wikipedia, source their source (located right at the bottom) not the Wiki page itself! The stats-unrelated opening sentence on the One Piece one saying "via Wikipedia" is fine.

Probably more ideas later. I'll stop writing here for now.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm planning to start working on it around Episode 20, which is about 75% of the anime season. It's also probably the time where an anime-only arc starts.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't think there'll be an anime-only arc. I think they'll just barely complete the "female titan" arc by then, and then the anime will go on hiatus until there's enough material to make another season (hopefully).