Thriller Bark Arc Discussion Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Thriller Bark Arc Discussion Thread

ANBU4U

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Haunted Island Arch

I think its kinda intresting so far,but it might a lil boring i guess.I dun think that any battle here will make the SH crew gain any new skills or increase their bounty.Tis ghost chapter will juz be another Skypie adventure ...Well thats my point of view,i dunno :s
How could it not? GM is one of the shichibukai....if they take down his entire operation...like they are going to HAVE to, their bounties will raise....now as GM seems to be extra tucked away I can see their being a major delay in the news of his defeat...perhaps halfway throught the Mermaid Island Arc....or even after...but it HAS to raise their bounties.

As for the arc itself..I LOVE it. Just amazing visualy, and the storytelling is fairly good. It's not Water 7....but its still a fairly good lead-up, better than Arabaster, but perhaps on par with Jaya....I feel as though the the bulk of this arc (the battles) will hit the right spot in the end and provide us with a new feel for OP and some much needed skill development for the weaker mugiwara.....as they are getting to the point where they cant truely protect themselves without a stronger crewmember to watch their backs....Ussop and chopper in particular.

And of course I think I may get my new favorite Mugiwara out of this arc, namely Brooke. For all those who think it's too soon.....well just imagine the half year of fillers the anime is about to go through. 'Nough said.

Last edited:

sahugani

Now 20% Cooler
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Haunted Island Arch

How could it not? GM is one of the shichibukai....if they take down his entire operation...like they are going to HAVE to, their bounties will raise....now as GM seems to be extra tucked away I can see their being a major delay in the news of his defeat...perhaps halfway throught the Mermaid Island Arc....or even after...but it HAS to raise their bounties.

As for the arc itself..I LOVE it. Just amazing visualy, and the storytelling is fairly good. It's not Water 7....but its still a fairly good lead-up, better than Arabaster, but perhaps on par with Jaya....I feel as though the the bulk of this arc (the battles) will hit the right spot in the end and provide us with a new feel for OP and some much needed skill development for the weaker mugiwara.....as they are getting to the point where they cant truely protect themselves without a stronger crewmember to watch their backs....Ussop and chopper in particular.

And of course I think I may get my new favorite Mugiwara out of this arc, namely Brooke. For all those who think it's too soon.....well just imagine the half year of fillers the anime is about to go through. 'Nough said.
i too love this arc with all my heart and it, like every other arc in OP, seems to get better and better with each chapter that goes by.

however, i do disagree with you on the matters of Brooke and the bounty situation. With Brooke, i've been saying from the beginning that while i love him to death (hehehe) i highly doubt that he will join, but as there is a thread about that already, that's all i'll say here.

as for the bounties after this arc, i doubt that they would change. First of all there is the matter of them just getting their new bounties, so other than Chopper getting a REAL price on his head, i doubt Oda would change these that quickly. but you do bring up a good point that beating another shichibukai would warrent another boot, but i've got some holes to poke in that evidence. First of all, Moria's actions are clearly outside of his contract with the government, so it's not like any of Moria's crew will bring this defeat to the WG's attention. Also, unlike Crocodile's scheme, Thriller Bark is hidden away in the mist, so it would take a good long while before anyone noticed on their own that Moria has been beaten, let alone have any witness to who beat him. If the news of Luffy beating Moria comes to the WG at all it won't be for a good long time and may coincide with Luffy's next big and highly publicized victory, at which time both will be included in the bounty calculations

ubo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Haunted Island Arc

Yep, I'm a big fan of this arc. It's more light-hearted so far, but I kinda needed it to be after the emotional explosion of W7. Also, I can see Brooke becoming my favorite member after Luffy (right now it's between Sanji and Robin).

If Brooke doesn't end up joining, I'll be disappointed, but I'm pretty sure he will. He already has more depth than Vivi...

Anti-panda

Reaction score
Country
United States

Do ya think if luffy beats gekko ... he'll start to be refered to as the shinchibukai slayer???
I mean to defeat not one but two ... shinchibukai .. thats impressive.

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Do ya think if luffy beats gekko ... he'll start to be refered to as the shinchibukai slayer???
If Luffy can defeat them, then probably even others can do the same in the new word.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel

If Luffy can defeat them, then probably even others can do the same in the new word.
others DID defeat them. We know that this Kaidou guy beat Moria in the new world.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Well, it doesn't say that Kaidou beat him, just that's he's a bastard.

ANBU4U

Reaction score
Country
United States

As its been mentioned we already know there are pirates in the new world that can take down shichibukai. And from what we know of Luffys power versus that of Pirates like Ace, BB, WB and Shanks....or even people like Enel, Rob Lucci and the upper members of CP9 it seems arguable that there are quite a few people about that have the power to take down a Shichibukai....just relatively few that havent garnered an affiliation (i.e.- WG, 4 Generals)

Well, it doesn't say that Kaidou beat him, just that's he's a bastard.
Come on. He said "If I had a subordinate like him even bastards like that Kaidou in the new world couldnt beat me right?" Clearly implying that Kaidou either beat him OR at the very least, at present he couldnt beat him if he tried.

Last edited:

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Well, that wasn't in the translation I read, I apologize.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel

do you think that after this arc, luffy's bounty will bounce up once again? :o

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

No, because no one knows that they're there.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel

but its a shichibukai. the govt. has to know if he's been beaten.. :o

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Not necessarily. He's in the middle of nowhere, and the WG doesn't really care about him. In fact, if he were to defeat "Kaidoh", they'd probably enjoy that.

Anti-panda

Reaction score
Country
United States

The govt doesn't seem to want to defeat the younkou... they only seem interested in preserving the balance of the current system... which is weird ... you'd think they'd want to wipe out pirates all together .. but they simply seem to want to keep whitebeard and the other yonkou in check instead of defeating them.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

It isn't so strange the WG want to keep the balance, it is the same as in the real world. And atm the WG is the biggest power, so thye probably are happy this way :)

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

But they control things too so that they can have complete power.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel

maybe its not that they dont want to defeat the yonkou, but maybe they cant? or it will just cost them too much they cant afford..

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

The govt doesn't seem to want to defeat the younkou... they only seem interested in preserving the balance of the current system... which is weird ... you'd think they'd want to wipe out pirates all together .. but they simply seem to want to keep whitebeard and the other yonkou in check instead of defeating them.
yeah but soon or later the yonkou will be the one who'll try to get the balance in advantage of the pirates. And I don't think the world governement will allow that

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel

the yonkou currently, like all pirates, are trying to get to one piece (and while they at it, they're also being busy fighting between themselves (pirates in general)), so although they are a threat to the WG, they are not an immidiate threat. On the other hand, the revolution army, declared a direct war towards the WG, thus, the WG are trying to deal with them, the more relevant and instant threat, leaving the yonkou alone for the time being.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Well, since they need the Shichibukai and the MHQ to keep them in check, they probably fight against the Yonkou with both of those forces. That's also why they're trying to get Pluton and Posideion.