ttx`dragon attemps Editing Practice #2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

ttx`dragon attemps Editing Practice #2

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
one thing, 1100 as heigth is a bit low... at least 1200 or 1280 would be good...

ok, here what i did from the really HQ tank raw...

it's definitely not perfekt on the leveling... i was a bit too moderate with it....

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: ttx`dragon attemps Editing Challenge #2

i perfer larger sizes simply for readability but shinwei dictates the rules. I think the bottom left panel's left bubble's font should be a little smaller.

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
1100 is the standard size for about 90% of all the HQ manga releases out there. At first I was a little sketchy with it but you have to remember you're not always going to be working with scans that are good enough to release in 1200px or more in height, so 1100 is the best option if you don't want to be screwed once you lose your good raw source. It's also what most people are used to and easier to manage.

Again, spend a little more time and effort centering text and making sure the size is right. Like Neo said, the bottom left bubble's text size is a little too large, and you can reduce the width on the "DERANGED" to make it fit well as well. The very first bubble of the page can be set to "Align Right" and configured to look better. I'd say the bubble with the "Gentle, dude, gentle!" needs the most work - again take advantage of text width and height to typeset the page.

Definitely a good job nonetheless.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your point is well taken. However, that doesnt apply when you scan your own manga :P

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
the question here would be
'what size is the least to take on 1200?'
i previously worked on x1200 scans and did not resize them, just so i can have em at 1200 heigth...
and since what we are talking about are tank-scans, the scanquality is to be estimated most of the time.

i personaly prefer 1200 because 1100 looks so tiny when using 1600x1200... the font just won't look that readable...

to your points with the text:
the first bubble: right align or center align is a matter of your own taste. I like it better centered.
'Gentle, dude, Gentle!'-bubble: won't need anymore work, since it depends on which words and style you focus for your typesetting. In fact it isn't easy to see a certain continuity in the typesetting from just one page. So you can't comment on such things too much.
last Bubble: the only bubble i agree with criticisms, since i did not spend even a minute when focusing on that bubble... but again, a 1200page would have made life a whole lot easier there.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
The size really shouldn't have made a difference. I mean the placement of the fonts is the same. Its just the font size that you have to change.

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
NeoShweaty said:
The size really shouldn't have made a difference. I mean the placement of the fonts is the same. Its just the font size that you have to change.
it does matter a bit, since viewing is setting here.... i thought making the text even smaller would be too hard for the eye (or goddamn, do i need to reduce my screenresolution for typesetting?!)

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
1200 is a good size. I really don't have a big preference of 1100px over 1200px when reading, but when editing it's a different story.

You say you use 1600x1200 resolution, that's fine, whatever makes you happy. But you have to remember that not everyone is using that resolution, therefore when you are editing manga to be read by the public, it's better to go with the safer one. Also, if you ever plan on working with a team to release manga, it is a very good idea to get used to the standard/norm because 1100px is just what most people are going to be used to. They're all used to working with the smaller font sizes and may have to reacquaint themselves to use larger font sizes if the 1200px decision is made. Granted, it's a small amount of accustomization, it's still better for you as (one) person to get used to 1100px than for everyone else (lots) of people to get used to 1200px.

Align-Center is 90% of the time by far the best choice to use for text bubbles. However, you must remember that it's not the only option. There ARE bubbles in which align-left or align-right can and WILL be the better choice, and an editor is expected to be able to fully explore those options to bring out the page's full potential. Dragonball is a manga where corner bubbles are quite common, I chose it so people can practice exploring this option, and practice is the whole point of Editing Practice #2. Refusing to practice kind of defeats the purpose of attempting...[br]Posted on: July 18, 2006, 07:53:39 AM_________________________________________________
ttxdragon said:
it does matter a bit, since viewing is setting here.... i thought making the text even smaller would be too hard for the eye (or goddamn, do i need to reduce my screenresolution for typesetting?!)
I occasionally typeset while zoomed in.

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
zoomed in typesetting... never did that, but when nudging the sfx to certain points... might give that a shot...
and you can't say i ignored the possibilities of right an left align, i just did not use them cause it doesn't look that good, imho.

i was editing for one or two groups in the past ^^; and there i got just to the 1200 resolution... maybe i just had found some non-standard groups >.<
and many releases i get right now, are most times perfectly fitting in heigth to my screen, so they are 1200 too... that's why i am a bit confused with you calling 1100px the standard heigth....

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not many people use 1600x1200 resolution. Consider that the vast majority of LCD monitors on the market are configured to be able to display 1280x1024 pixels ONLY and no other resolution, and you can understand why.

Yes, there are a few groups out there that do release in 1200px resolution, but I can guarantee you that it's not the norm.

ttxdragon said:
and you can't say i ignored the possibilities of right an left align, i just did not use them cause it doesn't look that good, imho.
If you said that first I would have been satisfied. All I ask is that you TRY and explore the option every time you run into a corner bubble. If it totally just doesn't work out, then you did your job. Remember, there DO exist bubbles in which it's a good idea, and there DO exist bubbles that don't - but the only way to find out which is which is to try it.