Shounen - Undead Unluck | Page 49 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Undead Unluck

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
So... did the usual posters lose some interest too? : p
I'm still following the series. Not really feeling the current arc a lot honestly. Like, it was hyped so much. Spring was the last UMA, and Billy even gathered the members of Under to go deal with it. Juiz had that talk with Andy on the night before the battle, so the hype was very much real. They even set up battle scenarios and predictions.
But come to the actual arc, and we only get....one battle? Top and Chikara vs Creed. Which was probably the least interesting negator battle in the whole story. Like, all we got out of it was Top's backstory. He goes around the whole world and reaches top speed....only to break Creed's weapon? Not that I'm asking for a death, but I feel like the damage should have been more.
Also, Creed lost so easily. He's ranked number 2 in Under, so he should have been much harder to beat imo.
Nico vs Tella is offscreened, and I'm pretty sure Nico is one of the more interesting characters in the story (To all the readers). Just feels like an injustice somehow.
Rip vs Shen being offscreened is okay. Tbh these two get too much screentime as it stands, so I have no issue with it being offscreened.
Andy tells Fuuko to befriend Yusai, but that's a plotline that goes....nowhere. Like even Yusai and Andy reunite at the top of the tower but it's shortlived, and lacks emotional weight to it.
Billy vs Andy was okay, but honestly Billy's potential redemption just reeks of awful writing. If he's going to switch sides because of Unluck (An ability he was going to steal anyway), then why have a whole traitor arc on him? I would prefer that if at the end of all this, he still decides to remain evil. His character is really good, we don't know his backstory (Yet), but I like how Tozuka is writing him.
The only positive of the arc has been Isshin's backstory. The past two chapters have been superb.
Sorry for the long wall of text, had not posted here in a while but wanted to get everything off my chest. :sweatdrop

But I just can’t shake the feeling that the Billy reveal way back was a misstep that made me lose interest overall.
Well this is a criticism most people have of the series even now. Personally I was okay with the Billy reveal. Though I think we should have had an arc/quest with him beforehand. The betrayal would have been more impactful if we knew about his personality.

It’s still a good series, and I really wanna see some of these crazy scenes animated, but it’s no longer a series I energetically recommend. And it seems that’s the case for Japanese readers too given the stagnation in volume sales.
It is getting a studio in December, right? Meaning potential anime. Who knows, we could see an increase in sales based off the eventual anime. Assuming the series isn't over by then.

Monox D. I-Fly

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I'm still following the series. Not really feeling the current arc a lot honestly. Like, it was hyped so much. Spring was the last UMA, and Billy even gathered the members of Under to go deal with it. Juiz had that talk with Andy on the night before the battle, so the hype was very much real. They even set up battle scenarios and predictions.
But come to the actual arc, and we only get....one battle? Top and Chikara vs Creed. Which was probably the least interesting negator battle in the whole story. Like, all we got out of it was Top's backstory. He goes around the whole world and reaches top speed....only to break Creed's weapon? Not that I'm asking for a death, but I feel like the damage should have been more.
Also, Creed lost so easily. He's ranked number 2 in Under, so he should have been much harder to beat imo.
Nico vs Tella is offscreened, and I'm pretty sure Nico is one of the more interesting characters in the story (To all the readers). Just feels like an injustice somehow.
Rip vs Shen being offscreened is okay. Tbh these two get too much screentime as it stands, so I have no issue with it being offscreened.
Andy tells Fuuko to befriend Yusai, but that's a plotline that goes....nowhere. Like even Yusai and Andy reunite at the top of the tower but it's shortlived, and lacks emotional weight to it.
Billy vs Andy was okay, but honestly Billy's potential redemption just reeks of awful writing. If he's going to switch sides because of Unluck (An ability he was going to steal anyway), then why have a whole traitor arc on him? I would prefer that if at the end of all this, he still decides to remain evil. His character is really good, we don't know his backstory (Yet), but I like how Tozuka is writing him.
The only positive of the arc has been Isshin's backstory. The past two chapters have been superb.
Sorry for the long wall of text, had not posted here in a while but wanted to get everything off my chest. :sweatdrop
I was disappointed too. When they laid out the match-ups I thought the writer's gonna Dragon Ball/Naruto/One Piece/Bleach too, detailing the fights one by one, revealing all of their abilities. So much for Yusai and Tella. Nico, too. As well as Latla and Bunny whose power we still know nothing about.

By the way, Isshin didn't lump Phil within the weakling trio. Is Unfeel really that strong?

Wookitake

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Damn Ms Isshin is ripped ! So beautiful ! My avorite female design of the story.
WSJ has had some thick heroines these last few weeks. Star 'n' Stripes, that lady from Red Hood, Isshin.
Isshin surprised me. She's like a reverse Tatiana. One destroys everything it touches, the other builds indestructible stuff. One is frail, the other is humongous.

Tatsumaki

Reaction score
Country
France
That was an AWESOME chapter.
Billy's face change so much by just tying his hair, it's almost like a Viktor and Andy personnality change.
I wish Yusai was used more than just a panel and a joke since she has an history with Andy but we might see her again later.
Great use of the negations at the end too, these powers are used so creatively that's what made fall in love with this manga.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Do you think UxU is ending soon? Or will it have a part 2 after the loop?

Tatsumaki

Reaction score
Country
France
Well with all that talk about the ark I kinda expect a new loop to happen. I mean UxU has the potential to be One Piece long but it doesn't seem like the author is the kind to make things last, since all the arcs tends to be fast paced (or I'm just too used to mangas where nothing happens in dozens of chapter of the same arc).

It could also depend on the popularity of UU and jump's decisions ?
Overall I just don't know it could go either way but I wouldn't mind getting 300 new chapters. There are so many things we can do with the negation concept, so many interesting negators we can get to see. It would suck if God is already all we have left. I would really like to follow an entire loop.

Last edited:

Monox D. I-Fly

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
At first I thought that was Billy (hairstyle, half-rotten face, and all) but the next panel shows Billy still standing alongside Juiz. So, who the hell is this???

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I simply CANNOT believe it. Why????
Why the need to make us suffer like that???
😭😭😭😭😭

2mytrompess

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Aouch didn't see that coming. Well that means Under will be joining the fight.

Also, some speculations about new guy (which for some reason came from earth or the shadow of Fuuko?) could be:

- He has to do something with UMA Summer (because of the sun tattoo)? EDIT: I forgot they captured summer :D .
- Another organization that's on the side of God?
- ... no idea.

Tatsumaki

Reaction score
Country
France
I believe he's a negator too yeah but I'm not sure which UMA he's correlated to. We know Victor/Andy survives the loop because death is the first rule of each loop. If that guy can overcome loops too he has to negate a rule that is there from the beginning. Though then it's weird that Andy never met him ? Maybe Victor know about him. I would think he is UNshadow or UNsun ? That would explain why he came from Fuuko's shadow.

If Fuuko is really dead we are definittely getting a new loop.
Hopefully Rip or Nico can do something. Maybe they'll use the device they used to bring back Rip !

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I really wish we had some clues about a 3rd party joining the plot, because that was too much out of the blue. The tattoos made me think of a cult-like thing.
He seems to be "OK" despite having been cut in half. Has any other negator behaved like that?

In regards to the rules and so on, is light/darkness some kind of rule as well? I'm thinking the same as you, when you mention UNshadow or something like that.

Tatsumaki

Reaction score
Country
France
AAAAAAnd this week's chapter made even LESS sense 🙃

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Ex machinas one after another. It does not look promising.

Monox D. I-Fly

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Is Luna an Artifact or an unknown Union member (presumably number zero)?

Tatsumaki

Reaction score
Country
France
Is Luna an UMA ? Or a deity similar to God ?
I remember at the beginning of the manga when Fuuko talked about how lonely the moon probably was all alone in the universe (when Galaxy wasn't here yet). I didn't think the moon would become relevant at some point. The fact that there is a roundtable up there means something and if Juiz had to sacrifice her looping ability to get Luna on their side it probably means Luna isn't a friend (but maybe not exactly a foe either).