- Joined
- Oct 5, 2016
- Messages
- 213
- Reaction score
- 1,168
- Age
- 28
- Country
-
It's been a while since I wanted to make this thread, so yeah, here it is.
Let's put Gruvia and her flaws aside for a moment and let's talk about Juvia Lockser aka the only pure water mage on Earthland (not counting Jellal and God Serena because their aren't solely water mages, iywim).
She rules water, she's water herself...to sum it up, water magic is absolutely flawless and versatile, it can be used for healing, for destruction, for basically everything and yet Mashima introduced only a character with this type of magic. The other three elemental magics had all different users ruling it, yet water is put aside. Why?
My personal headcanon is that it is due to Japan's environment and problem with tsunamis etc- starting from the fact that Meredy was supposed to die because of Juvia's water in Tenoru, and then Mashima had to change idea because of a tsunami. In other words, Japan is really sensitive about it and the more Mashima avoids water the better.
That's probably not a coincidence that right after Tenrou Juvia really did stop unleashing new spells and such, but thats's just my idea after all... it can be anything, but this doesn't change the fact that the plotline had to be different.
So... as the extremely biased fan towards elemental magic I am, I'd like to analyse this magic a bit in comparison to its complementary: ice magic! We all know where ice comes from right?
Water magic
The ability to control water in its base form. Following this line, we got spells like water lock, water nebula, water slicer, water jigsaw, water cane, bubbles with oxygen inside and so on... not to mention sierra aka the abily to turn into water itself aka Juvia's best.
When Invel was introduced, we (finally) got to know something about pure ice magic... and it is really the complementary of water.
* water lock - ice lock: one locks one physically, drowining them, the other one locks one mentally .
* sierra/water body - ice divine rainment: yes, one's an armor but by the looks of it, it's like Invel froze his own body shaping it differently. Remember that Invel cannot create things out of ice (molding magic) instead he uses the pure essence of it, so the principle must be similar to Juvia's sierra.
Juvia can unleash tsunamis, control the direction of the waves, breathe underwater... remember the giant water bubble she made to save everyone when etherion was fired? Water is great and also graphically beautiful.
If triggered, Juvia - thanks to pof - can boil water... boil water! This just means that she could potentially control its temperature if trained right. Boiling water lead to steam (ch. 56) so another complementary of the element. This should logically mean that lowering down the temperature should lead to ice as well.
If you have watched Avatar: the last Airbender you know that waterbenders can also manipulate ice starting from water, so it's totally legit headcanoning that. But as things are now, this obviously will never happen and I am sure people would be pissed at Juvia having powers similar to Gray, so okay, let's just stick to what she owns now.
Water make
I just feel the need to underline 'make' because this is what I have headcannoned for a while... just like waterbenders can manipulate blood, Juvia finally had something related do it.
This isn't just water: this can be considered as a kin of molding magic, and not only for its name.
* ice make - water make: Gray creates things out of ice, he molds ice, Juvia created blood out of water.
This is something huge, because training to be able to create blood (so we should be in the healing catheory as well) out of your own water could be such an interesting and useful (499) magic.
Water make in the FT universe should imply the same principles of ice molding magic so the ability to create things out of water... blades, objects, idk. Just putting this here because as I said none of the things I am considering following science/logic will ever exist so yeah. To sum it up, water make could be fabulous if explored, just like the so well known ice make
- - - -
I hope this didn't come out as annoying or as a bunch of silly headcanons from me, I tried my best... water can be used in a lot of ways, and I will always wonder why Mashima basically ignores it, whether it's Juvia or another character.
I will sadly agree to the "Juvia is wasted potential"(s), I love her and this is true, but her magic isn't the only reason why I like her, so....
Tell me your thoughts!
Let's put Gruvia and her flaws aside for a moment and let's talk about Juvia Lockser aka the only pure water mage on Earthland (not counting Jellal and God Serena because their aren't solely water mages, iywim).
She rules water, she's water herself...to sum it up, water magic is absolutely flawless and versatile, it can be used for healing, for destruction, for basically everything and yet Mashima introduced only a character with this type of magic. The other three elemental magics had all different users ruling it, yet water is put aside. Why?
My personal headcanon is that it is due to Japan's environment and problem with tsunamis etc- starting from the fact that Meredy was supposed to die because of Juvia's water in Tenoru, and then Mashima had to change idea because of a tsunami. In other words, Japan is really sensitive about it and the more Mashima avoids water the better.
That's probably not a coincidence that right after Tenrou Juvia really did stop unleashing new spells and such, but thats's just my idea after all... it can be anything, but this doesn't change the fact that the plotline had to be different.
So... as the extremely biased fan towards elemental magic I am, I'd like to analyse this magic a bit in comparison to its complementary: ice magic! We all know where ice comes from right?

Water magic
The ability to control water in its base form. Following this line, we got spells like water lock, water nebula, water slicer, water jigsaw, water cane, bubbles with oxygen inside and so on... not to mention sierra aka the abily to turn into water itself aka Juvia's best.
When Invel was introduced, we (finally) got to know something about pure ice magic... and it is really the complementary of water.
* water lock - ice lock: one locks one physically, drowining them, the other one locks one mentally .
* sierra/water body - ice divine rainment: yes, one's an armor but by the looks of it, it's like Invel froze his own body shaping it differently. Remember that Invel cannot create things out of ice (molding magic) instead he uses the pure essence of it, so the principle must be similar to Juvia's sierra.
Juvia can unleash tsunamis, control the direction of the waves, breathe underwater... remember the giant water bubble she made to save everyone when etherion was fired? Water is great and also graphically beautiful.
If triggered, Juvia - thanks to pof - can boil water... boil water! This just means that she could potentially control its temperature if trained right. Boiling water lead to steam (ch. 56) so another complementary of the element. This should logically mean that lowering down the temperature should lead to ice as well.
If you have watched Avatar: the last Airbender you know that waterbenders can also manipulate ice starting from water, so it's totally legit headcanoning that. But as things are now, this obviously will never happen and I am sure people would be pissed at Juvia having powers similar to Gray, so okay, let's just stick to what she owns now.
Water make
I just feel the need to underline 'make' because this is what I have headcannoned for a while... just like waterbenders can manipulate blood, Juvia finally had something related do it.
This isn't just water: this can be considered as a kin of molding magic, and not only for its name.
* ice make - water make: Gray creates things out of ice, he molds ice, Juvia created blood out of water.
This is something huge, because training to be able to create blood (so we should be in the healing catheory as well) out of your own water could be such an interesting and useful (499) magic.
Water make in the FT universe should imply the same principles of ice molding magic so the ability to create things out of water... blades, objects, idk. Just putting this here because as I said none of the things I am considering following science/logic will ever exist so yeah. To sum it up, water make could be fabulous if explored, just like the so well known ice make

- - - -
I hope this didn't come out as annoying or as a bunch of silly headcanons from me, I tried my best... water can be used in a lot of ways, and I will always wonder why Mashima basically ignores it, whether it's Juvia or another character.
I will sadly agree to the "Juvia is wasted potential"(s), I love her and this is true, but her magic isn't the only reason why I like her, so....

Tell me your thoughts!

Last edited:
