- Joined
- Mar 12, 2007
- Messages
- 625
- Reaction score
- 25
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Palin was chosen for at least these four important things:
+ as a social conservative, she will re-energize the Republican base which John McCain has alienated.
+ as a woman, there's a slight chance she can take "some" of the discontented Hillary supporters, although I doubt this by itself will be enough to defeat an Obama-Biden ticket.
+ her reform credentials on the state level is almost a mirror image of McCain's reform "maverick" reputation on the national level, for which some critics accuse McCain of abandoning in recent months.
+ Palin was a risky and bold move, that nobody was anticipating. Perhaps this is what it takes to match the excitement level and curiosity the world has about Obama.
Experience? seriously? She holds executive office, as a governor.
Obama, McCain, and Biden are all legislators, applying for the highest "executive" position in the world, as President.
I think as former mayor and governor, with an approval rating of 80%, and the fact that she has actually fought corrupt Republicans, and reached across the aisle and appointed Democrats in her cabinet, speaks volumes to her credentials as a reformer, and as someone who has experience as an "executive".
Keep in mind, she is applying for the VP job. Obama is applying for the President job.
Both are relatively inexperienced compared to McCain and Biden. For the Democrats to use this line of attack, will undoubtedly backfire.
This is a chance for McCain to shore up his image as a "reformer" that he was once known for, but at the same time reassure his Republican base that he is committed to conservative values, and I think by selecting Governor Palin, fits this criteria perfectly.
And McCain has always hinted that he will choose a VP that shares his values, and he was not bluffing.
Personally, I had an inkling he will choose a woman as VP, but I didn't really gave it much thought, since there was every indication that it was going to be Mitt Romney.
On a different note, just some few comments about my opinion about the DNC convention at Colorado:
I thought Hillary Clinton gave a really good speech, and she did what she needed to do to unite her party.
I forgot which pundit mentioned it, and which channel (whether it was CNN or Fox News), but someone said that, Hillary Clinton can someday point back to this speech, and remind Democrats, that she better not get any more flack because she did what she can to unite the Democratic Party.
I think it was wise of her not to over-praise Obama too much, because if she is to attempt another shot at the Presidency in 2012, the last thing she needs is subjecting herself as someone who is "inferior" compared to Obama.
I thought Bill Clinton's speech was also good, and his delivery reminded us, how great he was at oratory.
I thought Biden's speech was a little lame, and bland.
And finally, Obama's speech, obviously another good speech, as is expected. In terms of substance, however, it's hard to tell whether he is campaigning against President Bush, or John McCain.
I understand that he is trying desperately to brand John McCain as that traditional, same-old, hardline Republican, but I doubt that argument will have any traction, when tested on facts. The claim that McCain voted "90 percent" in agreement with Bush is an outright distortion.
Overall, I thought the DNC convention was impressive, unprecedented for it's huge turnout, it was well organized, and it's difficult to say anything negative about it, other than it was too melodramatic for my taste.
Clearly, the pressure is back on the McCain campaign, and it will be difficult to match the energy that the DNC convention has had.
On the other hand, with the latest Sarah Palin nomination, I think the GOP is re-energized, and for the first time in months, I think at last McCain has a shot at defeating Obama.
And talk about the VP choice "undermining" the central message of McCain's campaign, the same applies with Obama's choice, if not more so:
See here, from the National Review, a nominally conservative publication.
To be fair, here is Politico, a liberal-leaning website, reporting the same exact thing:
See here.
and about that youtube video about Governor Palin saying she has no clue about the VP job, I don't see anything "idiot[ic]" about that.
Most VP candidates you ask, what they think about becoming potential VP picks, they'll try to pretend they know nothing about the position, as if to appear not interested. That is customary and very common.
Of course, it looks as if she dissed the job, and probably could have responded better. But Obama, Biden, and McCain are all gaffe-prone, so this isn't really that big of a deal as you make it to be.
I expect Democrats to try to minimize Governor Palin as much as possible, but it won't work.
+ as a social conservative, she will re-energize the Republican base which John McCain has alienated.
+ as a woman, there's a slight chance she can take "some" of the discontented Hillary supporters, although I doubt this by itself will be enough to defeat an Obama-Biden ticket.
+ her reform credentials on the state level is almost a mirror image of McCain's reform "maverick" reputation on the national level, for which some critics accuse McCain of abandoning in recent months.
+ Palin was a risky and bold move, that nobody was anticipating. Perhaps this is what it takes to match the excitement level and curiosity the world has about Obama.
Experience? seriously? She holds executive office, as a governor.
Obama, McCain, and Biden are all legislators, applying for the highest "executive" position in the world, as President.
I think as former mayor and governor, with an approval rating of 80%, and the fact that she has actually fought corrupt Republicans, and reached across the aisle and appointed Democrats in her cabinet, speaks volumes to her credentials as a reformer, and as someone who has experience as an "executive".
Keep in mind, she is applying for the VP job. Obama is applying for the President job.
Both are relatively inexperienced compared to McCain and Biden. For the Democrats to use this line of attack, will undoubtedly backfire.
This is a chance for McCain to shore up his image as a "reformer" that he was once known for, but at the same time reassure his Republican base that he is committed to conservative values, and I think by selecting Governor Palin, fits this criteria perfectly.
And McCain has always hinted that he will choose a VP that shares his values, and he was not bluffing.
Personally, I had an inkling he will choose a woman as VP, but I didn't really gave it much thought, since there was every indication that it was going to be Mitt Romney.
On a different note, just some few comments about my opinion about the DNC convention at Colorado:
I thought Hillary Clinton gave a really good speech, and she did what she needed to do to unite her party.
I forgot which pundit mentioned it, and which channel (whether it was CNN or Fox News), but someone said that, Hillary Clinton can someday point back to this speech, and remind Democrats, that she better not get any more flack because she did what she can to unite the Democratic Party.
I think it was wise of her not to over-praise Obama too much, because if she is to attempt another shot at the Presidency in 2012, the last thing she needs is subjecting herself as someone who is "inferior" compared to Obama.
I thought Bill Clinton's speech was also good, and his delivery reminded us, how great he was at oratory.
I thought Biden's speech was a little lame, and bland.
And finally, Obama's speech, obviously another good speech, as is expected. In terms of substance, however, it's hard to tell whether he is campaigning against President Bush, or John McCain.
I understand that he is trying desperately to brand John McCain as that traditional, same-old, hardline Republican, but I doubt that argument will have any traction, when tested on facts. The claim that McCain voted "90 percent" in agreement with Bush is an outright distortion.
Overall, I thought the DNC convention was impressive, unprecedented for it's huge turnout, it was well organized, and it's difficult to say anything negative about it, other than it was too melodramatic for my taste.
Clearly, the pressure is back on the McCain campaign, and it will be difficult to match the energy that the DNC convention has had.
On the other hand, with the latest Sarah Palin nomination, I think the GOP is re-energized, and for the first time in months, I think at last McCain has a shot at defeating Obama.
And talk about the VP choice "undermining" the central message of McCain's campaign, the same applies with Obama's choice, if not more so:
See here, from the National Review, a nominally conservative publication.
To be fair, here is Politico, a liberal-leaning website, reporting the same exact thing:
See here.
and about that youtube video about Governor Palin saying she has no clue about the VP job, I don't see anything "idiot[ic]" about that.
Most VP candidates you ask, what they think about becoming potential VP picks, they'll try to pretend they know nothing about the position, as if to appear not interested. That is customary and very common.
Of course, it looks as if she dissed the job, and probably could have responded better. But Obama, Biden, and McCain are all gaffe-prone, so this isn't really that big of a deal as you make it to be.
I expect Democrats to try to minimize Governor Palin as much as possible, but it won't work.
Last edited:

)
