^and I agree, I think Obama is where he is today not because of his race, but because of his other qualifications. Is race a factor? I think in some states, it is. But like you said, it probably is irrelevant given the bigger picture.
But I'm looking at Ferraro's comments (
here), and she seems to be making the point that gender/sex is "secondary" in importance to Americans today than race.
It is not like she purposely brought the topic of race for no reason, she was making a comparison. Do I agree with her views, I'm not so sure. This country has been historically racist and sexist, but it's gotten better.
Is her comments dumb? probably, but I don't see it as being racist. And thanks to political correctness, her reputation is ruined because of this. We need to carefully delineate what constitutes as being "racist" and what is not. But if any mention of race in this country automatically is considered racism, then we'll all be racists.
[edit]
oops....I was reading the news again about the Ferraro controversy, and Obama did not accuse her of being "racist", but he did repudiate her claims....I mistook it this whole time as if he did call her racist. In that case, I accept Obama's response.
In other news, here's an interesting story:
Obama's pastor
It appears that "race" is becoming an issue in this presidential election. I think Jeremiah Wright's comments are radical and unfounded (even worse than Ferraro's comments).
I think Mr. Wright owes a public apology (unless he can back up his statements with facts and not emotionally charged opinions).
I'm hoping Obama does not share similar views, but I'm glad he distanced himself from this pastor. Good for him.