Fair enough, I agree with some of the things you said, but I can't agree that we live in a sex-crazed society. Sex has ALWAYS existed, whether it was on TV or behind closed doors is irrelevant in my eyes. Hormones always existed in young teens as well. I think you're making the mistake of characterizing sex as a bad thing. It's something the majority of young adults partake in, but I agree that there are those young teens that probably shouldn't take part in for various reasons. Not only due to the risk of unwanted pregnancy, but also to prevent STDs and any number of emotional traumas. The first thing we can do as a society is to teach sex education, because, let's face it, if sex isn't seen as a taboo thing by our society, rebellious teens will have one less thing to do (hormones reign supreme here regardless, but you see my point). Abstinence teaching is a pipe-dream in my opinion, but of course it's just MY opinion.
A child is a "burden"...regardless of how you look at it miyi, the difference is, good parents can shoulder that burden and provide for their offspring, whereas younger teens can't have the same success rate...it's really improbable and against the odds.
And saying that young parents can "rely" on welfare to help them with raising a child.....that type of government program already exists, and anyone can see that it isn't exactly improving anything, it may just be stunting the problem. The idea that you say you think there should be a better welfare program directly contradicts the notion you have that there is a lack of self-responsibility in this country as it pertains to teen pregnancy. Self-responsibility isn't merely filling out paperwork and relying on the government to provide for your child.
So maybe I'm misreading your comments, but that's what I got out of it.
Well, I agree with your points, I think it's just a matter of perception though....(half full/half empty).
I don't see a child as a burden...in fact, I would argue that from a purely economic perspective, a child is in a way a kind of investment, that of course involves some sort of sacrifice. We invest in a child, try to impart good values and such, put him/her through school, etc...so they can someday do well for themselves. It will be a bonus if the child someday, as they become succesful, returns you the favor.
Looking at it in a positive light, it isn't so bad. However, I agree, some parents aren't as lucky....but again I would argue that part of the reason they got to the situation they're in, the first place, is perhaps due to influences from outside that they could have possibly avoided in almost all circumstance.....because I sincerely believe that sex itself is a big commitment, and there are severe consequences that can significantly affect not only your life, but your partner as well.....so to treat sex so lightly means you're asking for trouble. If you don't like the negative after-effects of sex (unwanted pregnancy), then it's best to refrain as possible those hormones, or at least use contraceptives, unless prepared financially and emotionally to take on potential consequences of those actions. It's a commitment, but in the end, you did have the choice.
And just to make it clear: I am arguing for both sex education and abstinence education, not either/or....I want both.
But by abstinence, what I mean by this is --- not to make sex a social taboo....not in that way.....I encourage it only to strengthen children's resolve in combating sex influence, not to convey that sex is necessarily a bad thing.
Lastly, when all of this approach and extra added precautionary measures to raise awareness in children is taken, all of it, I think, will take care of itself.....welfare programs will probably be less needed since there will be less teen parents in need of financial help...
but on the larger context of the whole issue, I think we both agree on a lot of levels...just the nuances.
@SoulReaporKoul:
I think what Obama critics mean when they labeled him "elitist", is not so much based on his priviledged status, but the idea that his views are so far detached from the actual views of his targeted constituents...
but that wasn't even the point.
what he said about Pennsylvanians "clinging" to religion because of undergoing financial hardships, while it might be true in some cases, is nevertheless a gross overgeneralization and a belittling comment towards those people of faith.
Most religious people I know are religious not because of material concerns....that presumption is absolutely ridiculous...they are religious most of the time because it gives them meaning and purpose in life. That's what it's mostly about.
It is rather offensive, and ignorant for Obama to say something like that...these little comments, even if you think is trivial, actually matters to some people. It reveals a lot about his character, and for voters, character flaws is just about as important an indicator of qualifications than intelligence, oratory skills, merits, etc.
Speaking of Obama having undergone poverty, while I'm not disputing that....let's not forget that Mccain himself underwent personal hardships as well...in vietnam he was prisoner of war and was tortured. While he turned out to be a very rich man, his past isn't exactly very nice either...heck, even I can't compete with what he went through, and I'm just an average person.
There's a news development that is perhaps the most revealing yet, about Obama....apparently there was a Democratic debate last night which I have missed, but there was some interesting questions that were launched at Obama that is noteworthy:
He was asked about his relations with a convicted terrorist William Ayers, and why he has not disassociated himself from him, given the facts of his criminal record.
Now, I can let go of his dodging of Reverend Wright, because, afterall, he was like an uncle-figure to Obama.
But his ties with a terrorist, is absolutely unacceptable and I do not trust a World Leader, who's undoubtedly going to deal with multiple terrorists in his tenure, who sympathizes with terrorism.
He could have simply denounced Ayers, but he dodged the question once again. How many times?
Legitimate question to ask, I think, from a debate moderator.....I'm glad they're finally being tough on spoiled Obama.
[edit]
xi0 said:
Fair enough, I agree with some of the things you said, but I can't agree that we live in a sex-crazed society.
on sex:
I do think that we do live in a sex-crazed culture, more so than in any time of our human history, especially with the advent of the internet and the billion dollar booming business of porn.
I embrace sex, I like sex, I don't think it's a bad thing. My personal views is that sex is very healthy.
But along with sex, we forget the emotional aspects of sex, not to mention the medical sides of it. The fact is, having sex will either result in pregnancy, illness, or at best, the contraceptive will work and you get to live another day not having to worry about it.
With abstinence education, the emphasis I want is more on "values", not necessarily sex-related.
For example, whatever happened to teaching kids about discipline? From personal anecdotal experience, I have found that with a stronger family oriented value, the more disciplined you are about life in general, and also the better prepared you are in combating sex related social pressures.
I have an aunt and an uncle.
My aunt is divorced, she re-married and re-divorced at least three different times, and out of her ex-husbands, she has thirteen children.
My uncle has three wives, and has 9 children.
I come from a very conservative family, and my mother ended up supporting my aunt and uncle's families throughout her life, even today.
I think of civilization itself as a macrocosm of the family...with strong structural foundations, that civilization will remain strong. Once there is fragmentation within that civilization, and likewise, divorces in the family, the whole fabric disintegrates. Poor parenting skills, and lack of discipline enforcement, will result in children disobeying their parents. This lack of values in the home is further compounded with the fact that children are EXPOSED to the ubiquitous sex-driven media culture.....how can you deny that? TV ads, music videos, movies, etc....are almost always centered around sex. Of course, we have TV rating systems, but they're hardly enforced.
I'm not suggesting censorship....like I said, I embrace sex, the idea of sex, there's nothing socially taboo about sex, and it shouldn't be. But that does not mean we should not do anything to protect our young children from this exposure. Thus, abstinence in elementary schools should emphasize the teachings of stronger "values", "responsibilities", "discipline", "work ethics", "respect", etc.....which we aren't doing enough. And when the current divorce rate is approximately 50 percent nationwide, it just shows the magnitude of the disintegration of the family system, which otherwise would have served as a barrier against exposure to outside sex-crazed forces......Thus, my argument is that we need to use education, in the form of abstinence, in addition to sex education, as a way to fill this void in disintegrated family structure. That was my point.
And saying that young parents can "rely" on welfare to help them with raising a child.....that type of government program already exists, and anyone can see that it isn't exactly improving anything, it may just be stunting the problem. The idea that you say you think there should be a better welfare program directly contradicts the notion you have that there is a lack of self-responsibility in this country as it pertains to teen pregnancy. Self-responsibility isn't merely filling out paperwork and relying on the government to provide for your child.
Well obviously if a person lacks a personal commitment to improve and better themselves, of course welfare at this point is pretty much useless....it'll simply become just another form of charity. The idea behind welfare is to assist people in need to get to the point of stability, not to keep them in perpetual need of assistance.
If we offer welfare to people in need, it goes without saying that they need to make an effort to try to better themselves, find a job, become more stable, get a higher education, etc....all of the tools needed for social advancement....welfare is to assist people to transition smoothly from one stage to the next. That is the point of it, and if you think I am proposing just free charity, then again, you are mis-characterizing my arguments.
"PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Democratic White House hopeful Barack Obama on Wednesday disagreed with former President Jimmy Carter's overtures toward Hamas, saying he would not talk to the Islamist group until it recognized Israel and renounced terrorism.[...]"
What if...... Carter was related to Obama in some way....what would be his reaction towards Carter then?
Will he quasi-denounce Carter, just as he quasi-denounced anti-Semitic Pastor Wright, or terrorist William Ayers?
What made Obama suddenly become decisive this time?
And then he contradicts himself with this:
PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Democratic White House hopeful Barack Obama on Wednesday disagreed with former President Jimmy Carter's overtures toward Hamas, saying he would not talk to the Islamist group until it recognized Israel and renounced terrorism.
[...]
"My approach to Iran will be based upon aggressive diplomacy," he said.
"What it means is that we come to the table with a very clear set of objectives and a very clear set of demands -- that Iran ceases from pursuing nuclear weapons, that it stops funding Hezbollah and Hamas, that it ends its noxious statements about Israel and the threats directed towards Israel," he said.
"The current policy of not talking is not working and I believe its time to change that," he said.
First of all, currently Iran does not formally recognize Israel, nor do they have any diplomatic relations. Moreover, Iran supports terrorist Hamas, not just in words, but in actions. They arm, equip, fund, and even train anti-Zionist militias, such as Hamas and Hizballah.
So how could you denounce Hamas, yet be eager to diplomatically talk with Iran?
Iran and US don't talk? oh really? weren't you paying attention to Ambassador Crocker during the Senate hearings? He clearly said that the US attempted to speak with Iran on three different occasions.....they've schedule 3 meetings, 3 of which Iran postponed or cancelled such meetings.
Mr. Obama, stop contradicting yourself with your confused foreign policy and stick to facts. It makes you look horribly inexperienced and stupid.