- Joined
- Apr 8, 2010
- Messages
- 820
- Reaction score
- 296
- Gender
- Hidden
- Country
-
I think Magi is highly overrated. The first 50 chapters are plain boring, the combat systems are uninspired, the art is barely a step above Cage of Eden level derpyness, and even the good arcs have arc ruining characters like Kassim, Hakuryuu and Titus.
Tite Kubo is not a good artist. His style is generic, plain and boring. Most of his character designs are uncreative, and his paneling is full of obnoxious, wasteful closeups. Not to mention lack of backgrounds. And it is a complete waste to give this guy color pages most of the time. If the only colors he is going to use is the black and white of shinigami robes, skin color, and Renji's hair color, then the editors are better off giving the color page to someone else. I once saw someone say that Tite Kubo is the best weekly manga artist, but if we are going to go with a comparable, semi-realistic bishi style, I'd say Oh! Great completely outclasses Kubo.
I don't get what the big deal is about Osuma Tezuka. Yeah, I know he contributed a lot to shaping the industry as we know it, but I'm talking about his quality of work and how he is practically grandfathered in as automatically good by a lot of critics. I admit, I've only read a small fraction of his work, but I think I got a good sense of what he's all about with the range of titles I've tried(Ode to Kirihito, Princess Knight, Book of Human Insects, Buddha, Apollo's Song). Forgetting that I don't like his art, which I admit is a matter of opinion, his writing is kind of clumsy. The worst work I have read is 'Buddha', which I've heard regarded as a masterpiece. I strongly disagree. It is an extremely tedious read packed with misplaced, unfunny humor. Ode to Kirihito is okay but generic, Book of Human Insects started out good, but plummeted fast in the second half, Apollo's Song was interesting, but felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Princess Knight is easily the best work I have read of his because it was fun and entertaining, but it is nothing special compared to what's out there. Osamu Tezuka may have done a lot of things first, but a lot of other people followed him up an did it better.
I hate the Ohba/Obata duo and I sincerely hope that they don't team up again. Obata's best art was on Hikaru no Go and both Death Note and Bakuman suck. I'd love for Obata to team up with a really great writer and maybe move away from Shonen or at least away from Weekly Shonen Jump. Ohba can't finish a story and/or doesn't know when to stop. Everyone knows that Death Note fell off after L died and Bakuman's only redeeming quality was the manga industry info gimmick, which wore off quickly.
Vinland Saga is also highly overrated. It would be so much better if it was more grounded in realism. Thorkell and his inhuman strength really took me out of the story. Also, Canute is a terrible character. I've seen people laud his profound character development, and it's been a while since I read, but the way I remember it, one second he was a sniveling little boy afraid of his own shadow, and out of nowhere he did a complete 180 that was extremely unbelievable. It was poorly handled. His change should have been gradual.
I liked the Sasuke vs. Danzou fight, including the infamous Sharingarm, and I think that was the last good fight in 'Naruto'.
Tite Kubo is not a good artist. His style is generic, plain and boring. Most of his character designs are uncreative, and his paneling is full of obnoxious, wasteful closeups. Not to mention lack of backgrounds. And it is a complete waste to give this guy color pages most of the time. If the only colors he is going to use is the black and white of shinigami robes, skin color, and Renji's hair color, then the editors are better off giving the color page to someone else. I once saw someone say that Tite Kubo is the best weekly manga artist, but if we are going to go with a comparable, semi-realistic bishi style, I'd say Oh! Great completely outclasses Kubo.
I don't get what the big deal is about Osuma Tezuka. Yeah, I know he contributed a lot to shaping the industry as we know it, but I'm talking about his quality of work and how he is practically grandfathered in as automatically good by a lot of critics. I admit, I've only read a small fraction of his work, but I think I got a good sense of what he's all about with the range of titles I've tried(Ode to Kirihito, Princess Knight, Book of Human Insects, Buddha, Apollo's Song). Forgetting that I don't like his art, which I admit is a matter of opinion, his writing is kind of clumsy. The worst work I have read is 'Buddha', which I've heard regarded as a masterpiece. I strongly disagree. It is an extremely tedious read packed with misplaced, unfunny humor. Ode to Kirihito is okay but generic, Book of Human Insects started out good, but plummeted fast in the second half, Apollo's Song was interesting, but felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Princess Knight is easily the best work I have read of his because it was fun and entertaining, but it is nothing special compared to what's out there. Osamu Tezuka may have done a lot of things first, but a lot of other people followed him up an did it better.
I hate the Ohba/Obata duo and I sincerely hope that they don't team up again. Obata's best art was on Hikaru no Go and both Death Note and Bakuman suck. I'd love for Obata to team up with a really great writer and maybe move away from Shonen or at least away from Weekly Shonen Jump. Ohba can't finish a story and/or doesn't know when to stop. Everyone knows that Death Note fell off after L died and Bakuman's only redeeming quality was the manga industry info gimmick, which wore off quickly.
Vinland Saga is also highly overrated. It would be so much better if it was more grounded in realism. Thorkell and his inhuman strength really took me out of the story. Also, Canute is a terrible character. I've seen people laud his profound character development, and it's been a while since I read, but the way I remember it, one second he was a sniveling little boy afraid of his own shadow, and out of nowhere he did a complete 180 that was extremely unbelievable. It was poorly handled. His change should have been gradual.
I liked the Sasuke vs. Danzou fight, including the infamous Sharingarm, and I think that was the last good fight in 'Naruto'.
Last edited:
Other examples of a good filler is the G-8 arc in ONE PIECE, and some filler scenes/changes in the SKET DANCE anime were actually done better than the manga.