Seinen Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

宮本寶藏

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
China
Re: Vagabond 268-269 Discussion / 270 Prediction Thread

Kohei is castrated. Kohei does buy prostitutes on occasions, I guess one way of looking at it could be the fact that he is trying to get a sense of feeling that he’s missing.

I’m not sure about the translations done in English version. But in the Chinese version, he did mention to the woman something about himself being weird, when he can’t really get it up to fuck a woman but still buys prostitutes. That woman was just being nice; she sees past the flaws of ordinary man and tries to please them while knowing their shortcomings. This is why Kohei enjoys her presence and paid her a crap load of stolen money just for another night with her.

Tenma castrated Kohei because of his lust for the young Kohei. I really wouldn’t say lust, because it sounds kind of gay, but it’s like selfish brotherly love to be more exact. Tenma originally saved Kohei from their mom, who tried to push Kohei down into a waterfall. Their mom did that to Tenma before, so after Tenma rescues Kohei, there’s a unspoken bond between them. I guess you could look at it as Tenma felt that Kohei shared the same fate as him, plus Kohei is his little brother, so Tenma cared for him. But the bad blood runs in the family, Tenma’s love for his younger brother wasn’t healthy, it was a selfish love. I personally don’t believe that Tenma had a thing for little boys, because he was really into Oko. I guess, if you really loved your little brother, and one day you caught him raping some village woman, over reacting to the situation you might beat the shit out of him. But in Tenma’s case, he busted Kohei’s balls…

Like I said before, bad blood runs in the family, Kohei grew up to be same as Tenma. He is selfish in terms of loving or liking a person. Shown in later chapters that he really liked this prostitute, but when he found out that she sleeps with other men, he became jealous and murderous. Both Tenma and Kohei had a common personality trait, which is “I OWN YOU”. But yeah, Tenma got his skull busted by Musashi, and Kohei got pwned by Sasaki’s Tsubame Geishi, it seems both brothers got what they deserved.






Spoilers Warning (Please do not read on if you think the story of Musashi is fiction.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm honestly disappointed at so many posters mentions about hopes for Musashi fighting Kojiro. It's ridiculous that you're reading this Manga but have no idea who Musashi really is and his story with Kojiro.

I think you will appreciate this Manga more if you do a little research about the historical facts about Musashi and Kojiro. After the true history lessons, go on to read Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi, then come back and read Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue. I think it's best to see the different takes by true history and artists visions.

I'm just tired of seeing people making predictions that Musashi will fight Kojiro. I'm sorry but that's just stupid. It's like saying the Titantic may or may not sink -_-;
 
Last edited:

slimburble

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 29, 2006
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Re: Vagabond 268-269 Discussion / 270 Prediction Thread

Kohei is castrated. Kohei does buy prostitutes on occasions, I guess one way of looking at it could be the fact that he is trying to get a sense of feeling that he’s missing.

I’m not sure about the translations done in English version. But in the Chinese version, he did mention to the woman something about himself being weird, when he can’t really get it up to fuck a woman but still buys prostitutes. That woman was just being nice; she sees past the flaws of ordinary man and tries to please them while knowing their shortcomings. This is why Kohei enjoys her presence and paid her a crap load of stolen money just for another night with her.

Tenma castrated Kohei because of his lust for the young Kohei. I really wouldn’t say lust, because it sounds kind of gay, but it’s like selfish brotherly love to be more exact. Tenma originally saved Kohei from their mom, who tried to push Kohei down into a waterfall. Their mom did that to Tenma before, so after Tenma rescues Kohei, there’s a unspoken bond between them. I guess you could look at it as Tenma felt that Kohei shared the same fate as him, plus Kohei is his little brother, so Tenma cared for him. But the bad blood runs in the family, Tenma’s love for his younger brother wasn’t healthy, it was a selfish love. I personally don’t believe that Tenma had a thing for little boys, because he was really into Oko. I guess, if you really loved your little brother, and one day you caught him raping some village woman, over reacting to the situation you might beat the shit out of him. But in Tenma’s case, he busted Kohei’s balls…

Like I said before, bad blood runs in the family, Kohei grew up to be same as Tenma. He is selfish in terms of loving or liking a person. Shown in later chapters that he really liked this prostitute, but when he found out that she sleeps with other men, he became jealous and murderous. Both Tenma and Kohei had a common personality trait, which is “I OWN YOU”. But yeah, Tenma got his skull busted by Musashi, and Kohei got pwned by Sasaki’s Tsubame Geishi, it seems both brothers got what they deserved.






Spoilers Warning (Please do not read on if you think the story of Musashi is fiction.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm honestly disappointed at so many posters mentions about hopes for Musashi fighting Kojiro. It's ridiculous that you're reading this Manga but have no idea who Musashi really is and his story with Kojiro.

I think you will appreciate this Manga more if you do a little research about the historical facts about Musashi and Kojiro. After the true history lessons, go on to read Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi, then come back and read Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue. I think it's best to see the different takes by true history and artists visions.

I'm just tired of seeing people making predictions that Musashi will fight Kojiro. I'm sorry but that's just stupid. It's like saying the Titantic may or may not sink -_-;
great explanation man
thanks a lot
i got a clearer picture now
 

nichendrix

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
806
Reaction score
160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Vagabond 268-269 Discussion / 270 Prediction Thread

but at chapter 243
it shows that kohei can have sex with a woman
i thought he was castrated
<hr noshade size="1">
but at chapter 243
it shows that kohei can have sex with a woman
i thought he was castrated
Have you ever heard about sex without penetration? oral sex, mutual touches, and go on.... this is what Kouhei could offer to that prostitute.
 

slimburble

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 29, 2006
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Re: Vagabond 268-269 Discussion / 270 Prediction Thread

Have you ever heard about sex without penetration? oral sex, mutual touches, and go on.... this is what Kouhei could offer to that prostitute.
hehehe
thanks all
btw 270 is out finally
whoohoo..
 

battle angel

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
71
Reaction score
5
Gender
Female
Country
Peru
Vagabond Vol 31 (Chap 270-278) Discussion

the new episode is here ...^^!!
now , the next episode is called gaiden.....why????
Get chapter 270 here,
grab chapter 271 here and check out chapter 272 here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
Re: Vagabond 270-272 Discussion / 273 Prediction Thread

Well, the circle thing is kinda cliche, though I suppose Musashi needed that to fight with his busted leg.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Vagabond 270-272 Discussion / 273 Prediction Thread

wonder what will happen to Matahachi though. Is this the end for his character? I mean, what more can he contribute to the story if he's just sitting in his hometown?
 

DrTopo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Vagabond 270-272 Discussion / 273 Prediction Thread

In all the different Musashi stories, I've always been annoyed by the side story of Matahachi and his mother. I know it's an important part of the plot but I always want to get back to Musashi. Well, sir Takehiko is starting to pick my interest.

Oh yeah, and I sure dig the circle. I like how it makes Musashi realize that he doesn't need to attack and he can save all his strength.

If you read the book, you might remember a pretty funny part when Musashi is looking for guidance and his master simply draw a circle in the sand.

Thanks to everyone that bring Vagabond to us. I know there's not much action in this forum, but we are still waiting anxiously for each new raw and Edited Manga.
 

ulrilra

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 21, 2007
Messages
10
Reaction score
159
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond 270-272 Discussion / 273 Prediction Thread

I've never understood what purpose Matahachi serves in the story. His life just seems to be a story of failure after failure. Is he just there to be laughed at? I've been wondering for a while now whether Takehiko made a mistake in giving Matahachi so much focus and is now just stuck with him to make the story complete.

Or maybe there will be some weird twist at the end of the manga where Musashi will wind up dying and Matahachi will take his name and be the one to write The Book of Five Rings?

Otherwise I just don't understand why he's still getting attention. He doesn't contribute to the plot at all. Takehiko is obviously trying to use him to make some point, but I fail to see what it is.
 
Last edited:

Aquarius

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
66
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Vagabond 270-272 Discussion / 273 Prediction Thread

Easy. Both Kojiro (in the novel and manga) and Matahachi are other possibilities of what Takezo/Musashi could have become. Two alterations actually.
Either he could have forgotten the sword (remember Matahachi was able to match the young Musashi) and chosen a thrilling life (women, alcohol, easy money) like Matahachi, either he could have become the finest swordsman in the country, but would have grown arrogant and fought for his ego (like Kojiro does in the novel) and his art instead of fighting for the others and general sword fencing.

There's the same thing, more or less, with women in the novel : the old bitter one (Osugi), the innocent who becomes a prositute (Akemi) and the devoted one (Otsu).
 

KaNx

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
1,033
Reaction score
8,050
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Mauritius
Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

Chapter 273 is out, grab it at the RTS Thread here!

Discuss and predict the next chapter here!
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Vagabond 270-272 Discussion / 273 Prediction Thread

Nice analysis!

I'm glad to see Matahachi's story being tied up. He's an interesting counter point, he served his purpose, but if this is closure, it was as much as the character deserves. Kind of a rat. One more chapter of him returning to Miyamoto village won't be bad. I'm more interested in where Musashi's wanderings take him and when Yagyu Munenori will appear.
 

nichendrix

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
806
Reaction score
160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

Sincerelly I really don't understand what it'll be with Matahachi now, at the novel he was always the character who linked the backstories of most characters to Musashi's history (almost all of them are someway linked to Matahachi), but at the manga, almost everyone is dead by now, so Matahachi won't become Akemi's husband in the end, so what he is supposed to do by now.
 

Aquarius

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
66
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

I read Inoue wanted to finish his manga in a period of two years, and that was already a couple of months ago.
So, I guess he's just getting rid of all the extra-characters now (Akemi, Matahachi, Osugi), and not really adding too many new ones (Iori, the thief master who enroled Jotaro, etc. it's even doubtdul whether we'll see Gonosuke Muso again). He more or less seems to be aiming for the story's climax as soon as possible, which is regrettable in my opinion.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

There still needs to be a bit more for the climax. Musashi needs to go to Edo, Yagyu Munenori has to be introduced, there will be at least one fight in Edo before the climax. Some of Musashi's other exploits may be left out but his life up until the age of 30 have to be there. Hopefully Vagabond will adapt the entire book, but that seems like a lot to ask.
 

DrTopo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

I read Inoue wanted to finish his manga in a period of two years, and that was already a couple of months ago.
So, I guess he's just getting rid of all the extra-characters now (Akemi, Matahachi, Osugi), and not really adding too many new ones (Iori, the thief master who enroled Jotaro, etc. it's even doubtdul whether we'll see Gonosuke Muso again). He more or less seems to be aiming for the story's climax as soon as possible, which is regrettable in my opinion.
What? That would suck. As much as I want to be able to read the whole thing, two years is just way too short. There's so much left to talk about.

Please Inoue, do another 15 volumes.
 

ringiliard

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
27
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

Hopefully it won't be over anytime soon. I think that the fight between musashi and sasaki kojiro will take up some volumes. which will be the climax, but I wonder if musashi as an old humble man will take up one volume or so.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

Last winter Inoue said he only envisioned 100 more chapters. Who knows if he'll really stick to that.
 

DrTopo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

Well 100 chapters is better than 2 years. It gives us another 10 volumes which should be enough to cover the other cool characters like Gonnosuke and Hyogonosuke.

Oh! and Itō Ittōsai is back at the end of chapter #275. Yabai I can't wait for #276. Finally Musashi meets another worthy opponent. I hope is leg is doing fine.
 

ringiliard

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
27
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Vagabond 273-274 Discussion / 275 Prediction Thread

Just read ch. 275 (no thread yet though) and it's probably over and out for matahachi now I guess, secondly it was a really touching ch. to say the least. Since I havent read the book (which is a shame) I do not know if theyll fight or not (Mushashi and Ito that is), and if Gonnosuke will appear as well.
 
Top