Seinen Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond 283 Discussion / 282 and 284 Prediction Thread

Well, at least we still have the 282 preview sketches from Inoue's site:



This one looks like it's possibly more discussion between Musashi and Yagyu, the image in the lower right could be Musashi, or anyone with long hair though. Yagyu did say he had to leave, so perhaps it's discussion between members his estate. It could even Matahatchi and his #1 fan there knowing what we know know. More long shot possibilities I can think of are Takuan and Koetsu or the Kyoto Shoshidai, though those would be random.



On the right it looks to me like the little demonic bloodthirsty incarnation of Musashi, possibly ranting and raging over his defeat, and the thing I'm most sure about in all the sketches, on the left, it appears to be Musashi on the ground where Ito left him (I think you can even see his nose bleed), then being discovered/approached by at least two people. Most likely the innkeepers (they'd be pretty lousy hosts just to leave him there =), maybe some men from the Yagyu depending on happened back there, or by that token even Otsu and Jotaro. Final long shot guess, just because he has a history of it and obviously appears again, perhaps it's Matahatchi there to pick up a fallen Musashi one more time.

All that said, my guesses will probably be completely wrong. =)

Anyway, as for 283, I think the obvious connection to 282 is that Musashi takes his body to its limit and ends up on his back, and once again it looks like he may find the solution to his current situation from insight he already had as a boy.

Also, I'm quite curious about the boy Matahatchi is talking to now, since he apparently not only has light hair, but blue eyes.
 
Last edited:

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
2,281
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: Vagabond 283 Discussion / 282 and 284 Prediction Thread

Vagabond 283 Discussion / 282 and 284 Prediction Thread
discuss 283 and predict 282, kinda weird/funny :XD
I'll wait for 282
 

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

Great episode, looks like Musashi did better than initially thought, and I love his bloodthirsty form's exasperation with his being a good loser. :facepalm


"Don't give up, Mac! Fight!!"​
 

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Vagabond 284 Discussion / 285 Prediction Thread





Looks like Musashi is approached by the concerned Innkeeper and manages to sit up, maybe even get to his feet, and more interaction with his bloodthirsty aura.
 

Aqsa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
103
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

I think judging by the end of 282, that this fight is more of a draw than a loss for Musashi. Maybe even a loss for Ito. After all, Musashi isn't wounded, is he?

If we are instead to consider what would have happened had Ito been using a real sword, then yes, Musashi would have lost, but if we were to assume both fighters were healthy, who knows.
 

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

I think judging by the end of 282, that this fight is more of a draw than a loss for Musashi. Maybe even a loss for Ito. After all, Musashi isn't wounded, is he?
Yeah, but he was completely beaten and at Ittosai's mercy. The fact that Ittosai spared him, or that he didn't even need to cut him down to win in the first place, doesn't exactly speak well for Musashi as champion here. Though, this definitely gives the fight new perspective, and gives Musashi the opportunity to come out ahead. But, as far as the match itself goes, even Musashi admits Ittosai got the best of him. As things stand, just because Ittosai spared his life and didn't seek proper medical attention doesn't mean he somehow lost after the fact (I bet the old, more Takezo-like, Musashi could make that argument though, "that was his problem" =). Otherwise, did Denshichiro win his first bout with Musashi because Musashi collapsed from his wounds afterward, or what about after the seventy man battle, did Musashi lose again because he would have died had Matahatchi not again saved him?

I think the only way to make Musashi the "winner" is to redefine the terms of the match, or a complete referendum on the philosophy of the sword in general. As far as the Ittosai/old Musashi philosophy goes, Ittosai is clearly the winner, but perhaps by the Yagyu way, or new thinking by Musashi, there is no winner. It is a strong symbol that as Musashi reflects on all this, Ittosai falls, and Musashi seemingly rises.

Anyway, I'd like to see more between them, perhaps Musashi can finally convince Ittosai of the new age sword philosophy (and I want to know what happened to Ito's fingers).

If we are instead to consider what would have happened had Ito been using a real sword, then yes, Musashi would have lost, but if we were to assume both fighters were healthy, who knows.
All I know is who won at the time with what both brought to the table, "I entered, you fell." We'll see if that stands the test of time though.
 
Last edited:

宮本寶藏

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
China
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

I like to see what Musashi learns from this. In terms of raw power, skill and strategy, Ittousai maybe be greater, but I don't think his style has any form of spiritual training. It's just so bad ass for him to say "I enter, you fell." this is the coolest thing to say especially to an opponent who is considered "Unrivaled Under the Heavens". It's so... gangster lol.. it's like "I fucked you up, who do you think is greater hm?"

This is a nice way for Musashi to figure out how to develop and train mentally and spiritually. I can't help but notice all the hints the recent chapters are giving, reminds me of that movie "The Last Dragon". Sure it was a silly Kung Fu comedy, but that famous line said in the movie "Who's the master Leeroy!??" .... "I am...!" It seems to me that Musashi might have had all the answers inside of him all along, so he has the potential to be one of the greatest but not yet discovered it.

It's also a good spar, this might lead Musashi down the path where he defeats Kojiro. If I were to fight Sasaki, I would love have a sparring partner such as Itto to get myself ready.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

Musashi is not read for Kojiro yet. At this point Kojiro is fully focused on the sword, whatever weaknesses he has have yet to emerge. Musashi is still trying to find a middle path between his anger and the serenity of the Yagyu. Kojiro may not seem it but he is all beast, Ittousai's disciple through and through. Musashi's "defeat" may facilitate his understanding of the middle path. He seemed to have subdued the "beast" during the fight, to be a truly great warrior he needs to harness it, disperse it, use at as a weapon while remaining detached from it. When Musashi can fight serenely, effortlessly, relying on muscle memory to dictate his actions then he will be able to defeat Kojiro.
 

zet

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
62
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

Like some have said before, Musashi has the answers inside him already. As a boy he leaved in thw wilderness and so he was at one with nature, and part of the universe. We got deviated from that frame of spirit/mind and now he's starting to realise that what sekishusai "way of the sword" was all about. We're gonna start seeing a more relaxed Musashi, one that will avoid fights at any cost unless if his life is at stake. On the next chapter I hope to see more of sekishusai spirit talking to Musashi.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

Musashi is definitely not the guy who will sit on a mountain top painting water colors, writing books. He will be but not yet. While the young Musashi was at one with nature but had not eliminated his sense of self. To truly be a great man he must stop seeking greatness. To be the strongest under heaven he can not be concerned with with being the strongest under heaven. The Ittousai fight demonstrated that sword fighting is not effortless for Musashi.
 

zet

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
62
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

I think the his next opponent will be Gonnosuke, in order to test this new resolve. Do you guys think Musashi will take this loss and decide to settle down until his leg heals?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

I'm guessing the rest of this run of chapters will be Musashi healing himself and contemplating how to become a better swordsman. A lot more Buddhist rumination will be in our near future, I believe. Musashi will probably begin the journey to Edo in the last chapter of this run. That is assuming Inoue doesn't suddenly stop taking breaks between volumes. The next run will focus on the first fight with Gonnosuke as Musashi makes his approach to Edo. I wonder how long the first fight will last, I'm pretty sure Musashi defeated him pretty easily according to legend. The second fight, later on, should be epic.
 

zet

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
62
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

yeah I was thinking about the same, he meets Gonosuke on his way to Edo. Musashi wins the first one but on the secound one he concedes and takes Gonosuke on as a student so I'm curious as to how Inoue will portray this.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

He wins the first fight by basically using a defensive move, crossing his long and short sword to block Gonnosuke's thrust. I'm curious if Inoue will take more than a couple of chapters to depict this. It would be a good place to show Musashi's new found enlightenment; he wins a fight without attacking and shows mercy on an assailant.

Now you've got me excited about Gonnosuke's return! It's been a long time since he appeared and I had liked the character.
 

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
Re: Vagabond Edited Manga Discussion

Dunno if it's the right place to ask, but there are some pages (5) on volume 31 raw that didn't appear on the english Edited Mangas. And I don't mean extras or anything like that but actual missing chapter pages. Could someone translate them, please?









 

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Vagabond 285 Discussion / 286 Prediction Thread

It's a little ridiculous that I'm making another thread when the last issue hasn't even surfaced yet, but a strange and worrisome pattern has emerged; like last time, while 284 is still MIA, 285 IS out (even numbered episodes apparently get no love, but if 284 is out there, I would imagine it's going to be on share or some other p2p). Anyway, 285 is still a great episode in its own right:
Ittosai is indeed flashbacking, and we get to see Kojiro confront the old man after his battle with Koun, and there's even a Gonnosuke cameo... anyway, wow, when Ittosai said he wanted to fight Kojiro some day after he was more seasoned, I didn't think he meant like, the next day, but we'll see where this actually goes
So, I'm really anticipating 286... and 284, or maybe I shouldn't count on those and just look forward to 287.:p
 
Last edited:

Aqsa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
103
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond 285 Discussion / 286 Prediction Thread

Can you post this episode or link to a place where I can DL it?
 

zet

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
62
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Vagabond 282 - 283 Discussion / 284 Prediction Thread

maybe he's the one thats gonna tell us what happened to itto's hand in a form of a flash back. We also need to know what kojito is up to, we haven't seen him in a long time.
 

Dante Julius

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
65
Reaction score
116
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond 285 Discussion / 286 Prediction Thread

As is said on our site:
"Alright, so we got the raws for 285, and have finished most of the work, but we’re probably going to hold off and see if the raws for 284 don’t come out shortly. Unlike the last raw gap, this chapter appears to be more dependent on the previous chapter, so to avoid potentially awkward translations due to lack of context and people receiving the chapters out of order, we’re going to wait a bit. If it doesn’t come out soon, we’ll reevaluate the situation again and might release it (anything awkward isn’t going to be that bad)."

Also, I've been monitoring PD and Share for 284 to no avail. Hopefully, we'll get it soon.

Edit:
Also, as the end of 285 says, "Vagabond will be on break from the following issues for the next 3 weeks.#286 returns in issue 52, on sale 11/26!"
 
Last edited:
Top