Seinen - Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko | Page 53 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Vagabond Hang Out Thread

lol. That's right, no super sayan's or bankai's. Somehow the action is still amazing. Just be prepared for zen introspection on the meaning of strength.

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria

lately it got a little annoying for me. maybe I don't understand the bigger philosophy?
since he got his leg injured the manga somehow changed ... together with the un/regular(?) publishing the pace really dropped, especially towards reading the bigger part of the story without break xD

Mushashi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia

umm. i didnt get this feeling i still love vagabond. i dont think its changed much now it just feels like mushashi is wiser.

Tick

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

The story changed because Musashi changed too. The character is growing, so the story has to grow too.

Mushashi

Reaction score
Country
Australia

obviously mushashi is getting wiser so the manga doesnt have that raggedy feel about it. more calm collected and in control. inoue is doing this on purpose.

sharingan_kakashi

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: Vagabond anime/OVA, good or bad?

if they can pull it off then by all means!!
but the changes of them doing justice to the series is about 1/100.

id rather see an OVA of Hikaru no GO. i already know they made a great anime of it.

sharingan_kakashi

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

the only time i didnt like Vagabond is when they have those red humanoids building something. i thought it represented musashi's RBCs or muscles rebuilding or something. still it feels stupid.

i think this time musashi will have to perfect his 2 sword style to keep up with his disability. he has to do it sometime and this is the perfect time.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I liked the last volumes worth of chapters. It's nice getting more plot oriented chapters geared towards developing character. Musashi is supposed to develop into a philosopher samurai, his evolution away from the blood thirsty beast is important. I'm looking forward to the next big fight, but enjoying a this bit of Buddhism.

Mushashi

Reaction score
Country
Australia

i don't want him to become a philosepher although i know its gonna happen. i love the bloodthirsty beast thinking am i strong

Homeless Ninja

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

Musashi's new circumstances aside, it hasn't changed that much, there's always been extended periods of reflection and plot development between Musash's milestone battles, they've just gradually gotten longer and more cerebral. Volumes 22-24 after his fight with Seijuro weren't that much different from 28-30 for example. Even the Ittosai battle itself, albeit mostly cerebral, isn't so different from, say, the fight with Denshichiro, which was a battle that encompassed a long mental and physical buildup to short but furious action and a quick end. Except in this case both were evenly matched masters, so the bulidup was that much longer, and the action and end that much quicker.

What was irregular was 26-27, since it was literally Musashi fighting for two straight volumes. I don't think we're going to see Musashi fight so clumsily anymore, at least we haven't since Seijuro, against single opponents. He'll either outclass them instantly or they'll be at such a high level themselves, as with Ittosai, that there's almost no room for error either way. At this stage, most of the "battle" is going to be in the preparation before the action, like In'ei said, "Whoever wins, it'll be over in an instant."

Last edited:

Homeless Ninja

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Vagbond 287 Discussion / 288 Prediction Thread

So there may have been a slight mistake in the words he chose, even though the Japanese to English translation is correct.
That's possible, but it's a more understandable deviation from a translation standpoint, so I'd give Inoue the benefit of the doubt (always look at the translation before the original, after all). On the other hand, let's give both the benefit of the doubt; perhaps Ittosai was merely attributing the rumors to Musashi in a casual way of speaking. Musashi doesn't boast about it or spread the rumor himself obviously, but he is the origin of it and it's not one he denies.

i doubt he will realease different chapters in the tankobon it would cause a riot
Not wholly different episodes, just retouched images and added pages. I think he wrote that this was the most he's ever had to do for a volume.

Last edited:

Homeless Ninja

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Buying the manga

For those interested, there's a volume list with buying links for each one here. It goes to Viz store, which sells through Amazon, and you can get some sweet deals (I ended up getting volume 31 for like $4 through some promotion when I pre-ordered it). Also, you can find similar lists and buying links to the VIZBIG editions, as well as other merchandise and resources, here.

Last edited:

Dante Julius

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Vagbond 287 Discussion / 288 Prediction Thread

I think it's just Itou being casual in his phrasing; he doesn't literally mean it. And on volume changes, it's not uncommon to change a lot of little wording things, add details to images, and, as we saw with 282, even add pages, but it's usually cleaning up rather than outright changing the meaning of things.

Mushashi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Re: Buying the manga

thanks ninja seems like good deals on there i might order some stuff. its cheaper then i thought to get stuff out to australia :o

Mushashi

Reaction score
Country
Australia

lately there has been to much fighting and not enough clumsy self reflection.

Truefan21

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

is there an anime for vagabond

Last edited:

Aqsa

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Best fights in the series in no particular order:

- Kojiro vs. Koun
- Musashi/Kojiro/Gonnosuke/Ittosai vs. Tokugawa soldiers at Sekigahara
- The first fight between Musashi and Inshun
- Musashi vs. Yagyu retainers
-Kojiro vs. Denshichiro

Fights that did not live up to the hype:

1. Baiken vs. Musashi
2. Musashi vs. Inshun II
3. Musashi vs. Seijuro

In all three of those fights, Inoue decided to focus on flashbacks and other stuff that could have waited until after the fight to delve into. He totally ruins the fight scenes.

Homeless Ninja

Reaction score
Country
United States

Fights that did not live up to the hype:

1. Baiken vs. Musashi
2. Musashi vs. Inshun II
3. Musashi vs. Seijuro

In all three of those fights, Inoue decided to focus on flashbacks and other stuff that could have waited until after the fight to delve into. He totally ruins the fight scenes.
Au contraire, that's why those duels were three of the best and most important, the action only heightened by the greater stakes and meaning set behind them. I find myself re-reading those fights, particularly Seijuro and Baiken, because they're so compelling and meaningful to what followed, even now. So, I'll take Inoue's "ruined" fight scenes, because I think the series would be ruined otherwise.

Truefan21

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

lol. That's right, no super sayan's or bankai's. Somehow the action is still amazing. Just be prepared for zen introspection on the meaning of strength.
But beware, it's a seinen. No super powers, etc. lots of philosophy in it. Best manga book I've ever read, by miles.
nah i'm cool with that
i am tired of power ups that come out of nowhere in shonen