Seinen Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagbond 288 Discussion / 289 Prediction Thread

so Musashi is putting stuff in his ears to be deaf and train like Kojiro?
GREAT call! I totally missed the significance of that, and now that you mention it, Musashi is doing the same thing in the extra pages of volume 32.

I must say, that's really cool.
 

Aqsa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
103
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagbond 288 Discussion / 289 Prediction Thread

I feel too many loose ends haven't been tied. I still wanted to see Hyogonosuke in action as well as Gonnosuke.
 

Aqsa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
103
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond Hang Out Thread

Au contraire, that's why those duels were three of the best and most important, the action only heightened by the greater stakes and meaning set behind them. I find myself re-reading those fights, particularly Seijuro and Baiken, because they're so compelling and meaningful to what followed, even now. So, I'll take Inoue's "ruined" fight scenes, because I think the series would be ruined otherwise.
I don't understand how the stakes are any different. In all the fights, everybody's life is on the line. To me, those are the highest stakes possible.

In a samurai manga, I want to see some kinetics, and I want to see them done well and with innovation. This is what really captures my imagination. Perhaps we're all different.
 

Aquarius

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
66
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Vagbond 288 Discussion / 289 Prediction Thread

I don't think we're meant to se Hyogo in action. He met Musashi once and was the only one who really understood Musashi's art of the sword (but felt it could never be properly used by common swordsmen, unlike Shinkage's style or other mainstream styles).
He's not supposed to have any remarkable fight throughout his existence, so, better forget about him, even though he's the most talented Shinkage style user of Musashi's time.

I also suppose that the fight with Gonnosuke was replaced by the fight with Itto. Given what Inoue did with Gonnosuke in the earlier volumes, it has more credibility that way.

It's a bit regrettable though, that all of Musashi's story, such as being a peasant, travelling to Edo, getting more acknowledged, etc. has been summed up in less than two pages... It contained potential material for a dozen of volumes.
 

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagbond 288 Discussion / 289 Prediction Thread

I agree with almost everything you said, the Hyogo fight isn't really necessary, and Gon might have been traded for Ito (a trade I'd take again any day). But, the door isn't necessarily closed on those fights either. After all, Kojiro just arrived, so there could be plenty more opportunity for other events and setup before the fight. All those possibilities aren't necessarily precluded by this episode, it's even laid the groundwork for how Inoue can touch on those subjects without going through the series' usual pacing.

Personally though, I was hoping Inoue would flesh out all that material into dozens more volumes, and even do the largely untold story of Musashi's life post-Kojiro. Though, ultimately, this is now, more than ever, Inoue's story, rather than Yoshikawa's or even Musashi's, and what we expected, or thought was important, from those stories might not be important to him. Only he can show us that, and I prefer it that way, since, unlike those other events, we can't read about it anywhere else.

On that note, once Vagabond ends, I recommend everyone read Eiji Yoshikawa's MUSASHI, whether you have before or not, as well as Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings, by Kenji Tokitsu. The latter is perhaps the definitive history on Musashi and his work. It contains detailed historical accounts and objective analysis of his life, as well as new translations and analysis of Musashi's own writings. I wouldn't be surprised if Inoue himself read it, or at least researched the same sources, as preparation while producing Vagabond.
 
Last edited:

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond Hang Out Thread

I don't understand how the stakes are any different. In all the fights, everybody's life is on the line. To me, those are the highest stakes possible.
I meant the subjective personal stakes involved, not just life or death, but how life would be different afterward, especially for Musashi. Everyone dies, but it doesn't always have meaning, and those fights had great meaning behind them, not just as far as life or death was concerned, but for their very souls.

In a samurai manga, I want to see some kinetics, and I want to see them done well and with innovation. This is what really captures my imagination. Perhaps we're all different.
Naturally, and all that's understandable, but there's also plenty of that in this series, and if that's all there was, then it would just be typical. For me, that background information only adds to the sparks, to quote Hemingway, "Never mistake motion for action."
 
Last edited:

DrTopo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Vagbond 288 Discussion / 289 Prediction Thread

I agree with almost everything you said, the Hyogo fight isn't really necessary, and Gon might have been traded for Ito (a trade I'd take again any day). But, the door isn't necessarily closed on those fights either. After all, Kojiro just arrived, so there could be plenty more opportunity for other events and setup before the fight. All those possibilities aren't necessarily precluded by this episode, it's even laid the groundwork for how Inoue can touch on those subjects without going through the series' usual pacing.

Personally though, I was hoping Inoue would flesh out all that material into dozens more volumes, and even do the largely untold story of Musashi's life post-Kojiro. Though, ultimately, this is now, more than ever, Inoue's story, rather than Yoshikawa's or even Musashi's, and what we expected, or thought was important, from those stories might not be important to him. Only he can show us that, and I prefer it that way, since, unlike those other events, we can't read about it anywhere else.

On that note, once Vagabond ends, I recommend everyone read Eiji Yoshikawa's MUSASHI, whether you have before or not, as well as Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings, by Kenji Tokitsu. The latter is perhaps the definitive history on Musashi and his work. It contains detailed historical accounts and objective analysis of his life, as well as new translations and analysis of Musashi's own writings. I wouldn't be surprised if Inoue himself read it, or at least researched the same sources, as preparation while producing Vagabond.
I'm sure Inoue read a lot about Musashi for information and inspiration. I'll check out Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings. Thanks for the suggestion.
I read the book of Five Rings a month ago, another important piece of the puzzle.

I would also have like to see another meeting with Hyogo. Even a thing like in the book when a Yagyu is hiding in a hallway and Musashi feels it and walk around it to avoid the trap. But now it's Inoue's story so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully he won't rush it but I'm sure it will be a great end either way.

And yes, the Itto fight was awesome and make more sense that Gonnosuke who was still green a few years ago.


Since we're at it, there something I haven't understood and has been bugging me for a while. Chapter 269, page 16 and 17. Musashi gets out of jail and go to a dojo to show his stuff. On his way out 3 guys thank him. Before leaving, we see they get striked by Musashi walking stick. Then they are lying on the ground. Did they get killed just for fun or what?
 
Last edited:

Aquarius

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
66
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Vagbond 288 Discussion / 289 Prediction Thread

Nah, not killed for the fun, just knocked down.
Musashi was held captive and couldn't stand it. The guys took him to the dojo, but he was still considered a captive, he knocked them down and walked away, being free.
 

Homeless Ninja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Vagbond 289 Discussion / 290 Prediction Thread

It's out.

http://www.itplanning.co.jp/vagae.html






When I type "Vagabond" on my comnputer, I'm used to it, so it comes out as
fast as typing "Thank you". However I actually mistype it a fair amout.

For example:

vagabagaondo
vagaboidno
vagabaganod
babaodsjowndol

ijnouetaksuejho

That's it. Thank you.


INOUE TAKEHIKO
3 February 2010​
Heh.
 
Last edited:

orochirebirth

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
Re: Vagabond Hang Out Thread

i don't know how to live without vagabond. I'm too excited to see how it will end but i'm also so related to it that i can't imagine myself not reading it. It's the only manga i read and actually learned something from it.
 

DrTopo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Vagbond 289 Discussion / 290 Prediction Thread

cool, it's so nice to have you back Vagabond.
So Musashi is avoiding the fight and jumping in the water.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Vagbond 289 Discussion / 290 Prediction Thread

This was mostly a self-reflection chapter, though a good one.

I really liked the foreshadowing at the end with Takuan mentioning that Otsu is Mushashi's future wife. Next chapter will probably have more going on maybe with Mushashi going to be that instructor at least for a little while before confronting Kojiro again for their finally duel.

BTW, Nihil and Dante Julius are from the same team so we don't need anymore more posts talking about who was first. Thank you.
 
Last edited:

Dante Julius

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
65
Reaction score
116
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagbond 289 Discussion / 290 Prediction Thread

Yeah, the only reason both of us posted is because neither of us knew the other was posting a link here and because we did it literally with in a couple of seconds of one another. It was just a funny coincidence.

Anyways, (referring to volume 32 extra pages which technically aren't scanlated yet):
this chapter isn't actually the first to have Musashi plug his ears. In some of the extra pages in volume 32, specifically 287, he puts bread in his ears and practices. Inoue added a whole 12 pages to just 287.
We'll get to all those volume 32 changes at some point.
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
How will Inoue end Vagabond?

Even though its been touched on a little in the hangout, I think this would make for an interesting discussion.

Inoue has changed around a few things in regards to the novel. This begs the question: will he keep with the novel for the ending or change it around and add his own flavor to it?

Since he has said he plans to end it this year, he is either going to have to shorten the time he spends on the events leading up to the fight with Kojiro (which I'm assuming will be the end of the manga), or change the time frame in which this and other events happen. Its looking like the latter will be the case.

So what do you think? Should he stick strictly to the novel, do his own thing, focus just on Kojiro: his development and his fight with Mushashi, give equal time to Gonnosuke and Kojiro, or give anytime to Gonnosuke whatsoever?

Another fun question to consider: Who believes he will actually be able to rap this up by the end of year?

Personally, I for one don't think he will be able to rap this up by 2011. Maybe a few months after, but he still has so much that should be covered and with the way he has been pacing things lately, I just don't see him speeding it up to get finish fast.

Gonnosuke has to be dealt with. That would be an annoying plot hole to just exclude him after all this time. Plus, the fight with Kojiro should, in all respects, be the greatest of the series. Not giving it enough time could ruin the ending.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: How will Inoue end Vagabond?

I assume the Kojiro fight will be the climax with a few chapters about Musashi's later life as an afterwords. I've said before but I am a bit disappointed Inoue will end Vagabond this year. I worry that he will rush, for the first time in his career, changing the near perfect pacing of the series. And of course I would like to see at least one of his two fights with Gonnosuke. It would really suck if both were skipped.
 

Aquarius

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
66
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: How will Inoue end Vagabond?

I doubt there's much more than a cameo left for Gonnosuke, his fights have probably been traded for fights against Itto Ittosai.
There are basically two things left to show now, before the fight. First is Kojiro becoming a swordsmaster, but that could be done in a couple of chapters, and Musashi getting in touch with the Hosokawa, and having is fight against Kojiro set up. Another half-book and that's it. Keep one book for the final fight. And a couple of chapters for Musashi's later life. That's 2,5 volumes left.
I think it'll look like that... Sad that so much has been left or will be left aside, though.
 
Top