Seinen - Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura | Page 27 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
lol so I guess the Thorfinn gang will end up buying Sigurd.

and this will be another series of chapters where Thorfinn faces his past. But I guess it can't be helped, as he did kind of run away from it in the farmland saga.

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Again I don't like the use of bears. This is supposed to be a realistic manga, but even a giant of a man like Thorkell would stand no chance against even a small bear. To put in perspective, take any pro fighter from any era, they would get destroyed by a chimp.

Alright the rest of the chapter was very entertaining, feel bad for Sigurd...so so embarrassing. Hild is suddenly the most interesting character though, how will she develop. I predict she will soften but how much, I hope we get some twists and turns.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Interesting new chapter. Because of the sporadic releases of the chapters, I quite forget whatever role Floki had before. What's Thorfinn got himself into now? At least Thorkell's friendly with him.

Oh wait, I think it was Floki who ordered Thor's assassination? was it?

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh wait, I think it was Floki who ordered Thor's assassination? was it?
YUP! Floki was an enemy of Thors because Thors abandoned his position and ran off to have his family in Iceland. If Thorfinn knew that Floki was responsible for hiring Askaladd to kill Thors then Thorfinn would kill him on the spot.... at least old Thorfinn would.

Oh! And by the way here is Chapter 126 [Eng]

cassaruby

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh shoot 126 is a good chapter. I can't help but think this is the beginning of the end with Floki and Thorfinn finally meeting like this.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yeah, I'm expecting this encounter serves as the ultimate "test" for Thorfinn's resolve. I cringed at Hilde's recklesness though, damn that woman is certainly way more hot-headed compared to the rest of the crews.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Wow! I always found it strange how Thorfinn and Floki never intearcted even though Floki kept in touch with Askeladd and Canute. Turns out Yukimura never forgot about the Thors/Floki backstory and how the truth can impact Thorfinn.

For some reason, Thorfinn2 (Full Eyes) reminds me of Usopp. And poor Sigurd, I hope someone saves my son :XD

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Chapter 127 [Eng]
It's been up for 2 days... somehow I missed it till now. :fail
On the bright side, this chapter is great! Thorkell is causing problems for everyone... and knows it too. :loool

Felcis

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Okay, I almost died laughing at Thorkell's act. Especially at his "shy moe"-pose or whatever that was supposed to be when he was getting into the "oh my, could it be that...?"-farce. Thorfinn's annoyed faces are also always hilarious.

Otherwise a really interesting development. Got some good "Game of Thrones"-vibes from it (the intrique, mostly from the books, not the tits and mutilation). I also love to learn more of Thor's and even Floki's past.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I'm surprised that Yukimura managed to cover Floki's flashback and the meeting with Thorkell in one chapter without rushing it. He's been working on Vinland for a decade now, I hope he won't get tired if it and rush it or abandon it at some point.

I hope there's another reason to Floki wanting Thors dead other than him disliking him or thinking Thors is looking down on him. My memories of the early chapter are vague, but is this chapter hinting it's related to the succession issue?

And what's going to happen to Sigurd?

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Vinland Saga 128 [Eng] is up!
Wow, nice cliffhanger!
Thorfinn is in trouble here... on the other hand it might be the other guys that are in trouble, if Thorfinn hasn't gotten too rusty.

Actually, even if he hasn't gotten rusty, Thorfinn won't kill them, so go all out Thorfinn! :XD

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And what's going to happen to Sigurd?
I do wonder how he and his men will get out of being slaves to continue their pursuit of Thorfinn and Gudrid.

The cliffhanger has me really excited about the next chapter to come, and it makes me wonder as you do @Wowzers about how Thorfinn will fair in this fight. Can he in hold his own against 9 Jomsviking before Hild can provide support or an escape route?

I don't see Thorfinn killing the warriors but Hild would have no problem doing so, also as long as they are alive and able to track them, they won't be safe.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
This is going to be a tough fight, not only Thorfinn will have to trick them and immobilize them, but he also must make sure they won't harm the villagers later on. It seems escaping and having them follow him out of the village is the only option. If that happened, I'm not sure I'm going to like the idea of them being chased by another party and their journey being about evading pursuers, unless it's going to be temporary until Sigurd escapes.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Finally some action! It seems Thorfinn's fighting skill is still sharp, even though he's just facing cannon fodder. The last few pages are also cool, pretty much voicing what I've been thinking about Pacifist Thorfinn.

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting, what will Thorfinn do.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Vinland saga can be really funny when it wants to lol^^

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
wow it's been so long since I've been on MH and it took me some time to find vinland saga. Why is this forum so hard to navigate now? So hard to find manga titles and their respective threads...
Or I'm just a dinosaur :scry

anyway I loved this chapter. It's good that Thorfinn is still human lol. He is still capable of such raw emotion when he finally learned about Floki. What will he do indeed?

cassaruby

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought it was anticlimactic how Vagn just reveals Floki and Askeladd's big secret through exposition.

It's great how Hild keeps Thorfinn's revenge in check. He can't get revenge without cheapening the story, which is cool. I feel like there won't be any trade saga now that Floki's arc has started. They were gonna be rich and teach us all about the northern sea trade routes!

Fate_Archer

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Genosha
Again I don't like the use of bears. This is supposed to be a realistic manga, but even a giant of a man like Thorkell would stand no chance against even a small bear. To put in perspective, take any pro fighter from any era, they would get destroyed by a chimp.

Alright the rest of the chapter was very entertaining, feel bad for Sigurd...so so embarrassing. Hild is suddenly the most interesting character though, how will she develop. I predict she will soften but how much, I hope we get some twists and turns.
Old comment, but an interesting point.
Agreed. Indeed, no disarmed man is a match against any kind of formidable clawed beast (bear, lion, tiger, hell even a decent sized leopard can tore a healthy man to pieces). I didn't mind the scene too much, and I think it served just to remind us how formidable Thorkell still is even after all these years. The series is still strongly historical but I think the suspension for these kinds of details, specially when it comes to Thorkell's character and feats, has been broken long ago, most precisely the moment he punched a horse like he would a potato sack. I personally don't mind these fantastical moments, and I think it would be fair to call Vinland Saga also a fantasy series, even if the fantasy is tame or quite contained. Though in that same scene, Thorkell's followers did remind us that it was already hard enough to capture a bear alive, let alone something bigger than Thorkell.

I thought it was anticlimactic how Vagn just reveals Floki and Askeladd's big secret through exposition.

It's great how Hild keeps Thorfinn's revenge in check. He can't get revenge without cheapening the story, which is cool. I feel like there won't be any trade saga now that Floki's arc has started. They were gonna be rich and teach us all about the northern sea trade routes!
The thought occurred to me as well. This kind of revelation could perhaps have been put at the end of a chapter and be made a cliffhanger out of it.
But I think it was done so deliberately, and it sort of reinforces the perception of how small the purely 'revenge' based element or plot has become in the context of the story.
Not only does Hild act as you described, but also instead, the chapter ends in a contemplating note, with Thorfinn becoming aware of his own weakness of character despite his most recent resolve to change himself. If anything, the 'revenge' element is now present as a temptating force that must be fought against.

I was also previously thinking this was all a detour to get back to the trading routes (probably what Thorfinn would want), but given how much exposition Floki, Thorkell and a number of related characters are getting, it seems this will be the arc where Floki and the plots still related to his character will be resolved.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Well, the bear is not an unusual distortion of "real-world physics" (for lack of a better term). Think about Thorfinn's outlandish fighting abilities throughout the first part of the series; his strength, speed, and stamina can hardly be considered "realistic" by reasonable standards. Sure, the bear fight would never work in reality, but that's the same level of exaggeration the series does routinely in my opinion.