Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

It's either that Kurogane's about to get cancelled or it's on trend and the mass demand a quick release? (though unlikely)
probably because Kano missed the deadline for tank changes/illustrations maybe? Since it looks like Kagami no Kuni's the one that's out of schedule, not Kurogane...
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but sorry if it has.

Updated Sale Numbers
Medaka Box vol.1-12 -------- 3,000,000 copies-
Kuroko no Basket vol.1-14 - 5,000,000 copies-
Sket Dance vol.1-20 --------- 8,500,000 copies-
Toriko vol.1-17 ---------------- 10,000,000 copies-
 

halfcrzy

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
431
Reaction score
146
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

So when did enigma end??? I saw last weeks schedule and it was just in last place. Im shocked it ended like that, I was actually looking forward to seeing if it was going to survive. And now im really freaking bummed. Enigma took over Psyren's spot, and I was pissed they ended psyren, now even enigma ended I feel as if ive been robbed of a good story for psyren. Gah. Look at me crying over spilt milk...
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

So when did enigma end??? I saw last weeks schedule and it was just in last place. Im shocked it ended like that, I was actually looking forward to seeing if it was going to survive. And now im really freaking bummed. Enigma took over Psyren's spot, and I was pissed they ended psyren, now even enigma ended I feel as if ive been robbed of a good story for psyren. Gah. Look at me crying over spilt milk...
It was last week, I think about one day after last week's ToC announced.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

So when did enigma end??? I saw last weeks schedule and it was just in last place. Im shocked it ended like that, I was actually looking forward to seeing if it was going to survive. And now im really freaking bummed. Enigma took over Psyren's spot, and I was pissed they ended psyren, now even enigma ended I feel as if ive been robbed of a good story for psyren. Gah. Look at me crying over spilt milk...
Welcome to WSJ...

And besides, at least it gets a final 40/50/whatever-page chapter in NEXT.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I wasn't sure where to post this because there isn't a Nisekoi thread so i thought i would put it here.


Nisekoi Chapter 1 "Promise" Spoilers (Japanese)
1話 ヤクソク

楽のクラスにアメリカから転校生・千棘がやってくる
その前の出会いのため(壁を乗り越えてきた千棘に踏まれた)、楽はいきなり千棘とケンカに
そのケンカップルぶりから先生に知り合いだと思われ、席は隣同士、同じ飼育係にされてしまう

楽は、思い出のペンダントをなくしたことに気付き、千棘のせいでもあると一緒に探すよう求める
二人はケンカしながらも、飼育係をやりながら、楽のペンダントを探す

ずっと一緒にいたことで、周りから付き合っているのかと噂され、千棘と楽は口論になり
千棘がペンダントをバカにしたせいで、完全に仲違い

楽は一人ペンダントを探すが見つからない
何日か後、小野寺に千棘が呼んでると呼び出され、ペンダントを返される
小野寺によると、千棘はこっそり探していた様子

家に帰ると、近所のギャングとここ最近ずっとドンパチやっていた親父から頼みごとをされる
抗争を抑えるため、ギャングのボスの娘と、偽でいいから3年間恋人同士になって欲しいと
そのボスの娘が――千棘なのでした


Characters (Japanese)
登場人物
一条楽(主人公)
893な家の子供。高校1年
893な家だけどケンカも弱いので、公務員志望
幼い頃、とある女の子と結婚の約束した
その約束は、楽がペンダントを、とある女の子が鍵をそれぞれ持ち
いつか再会したときに、中身を出して、結婚しようというもの
千棘とは最悪の出会いをして、ケンカの度凹られてるため、よくケンカする
現在は小野寺に片思い?

桐崎千棘(金髪娘)
アメリカからの転校生
気が強く、手がすぐに出るタイプ
運動神経が抜群
楽との出会いのせいで、転校初日から素を暴かれてしまい、楽とはケンカばかり

小野寺(黒髪娘)
楽のクラスメイト
女の子らしい優しい性格で、世話焼き女房タイプ
千棘に凹られて怪我した楽によく絆創膏をくれる
「鍵」を持つ少女
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Why Kurogane will get a tankobon before Harisugawa, since Kurogane debuted after him?

And Kochikame vol.999 LOL
It usually means the publisher sense some demand, to meet demand they rush the release. That is not to say that Kurogane will be an instant hit. It is simply the conventional reason behind rush releasing a new book, DVD, CD, etc.. They would not bother if it were doing poorly. Why rush to put out something nobody wants. Don't expect an instant hit, book stores have little interest in the first volume of a new manga by an unknown artist. Expect a better than usual first week: 35-40,000 copies and solid chart position, something above average for the first volume of a new manga.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

One Piece breaks yet another record. As usual.. Though I think volume 64 being 4,000,000 for its first print its IMO the peak of the iceberg at least for now, I mean the whole hype for.
SPOILERS

Strong World, the War arc, finally getting to Fishman Island and the new anime has IMO reached its peak and for now it will probably stay as it is and slowly go down a little and then maybe Oda will make another BIG arc that gathers lots of fan-favorite characters and ONE PIECE popularity will rise again.

My bet is that a ONE PIECE volume will someday reach the 5,000,000 volume mark.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

ST&RS vol.1 has sold out on Amazon.

It's looking like it will probably sell 30,000-45,000 copies in its first week :D
 

Haato

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
100
Reaction score
64
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

phew!! Glad St&rs is hanging in there!! looks like it may be a bottom dweller manga that sells decently? There's still much hope for you St&rs!!! Just keep hanging in there!! \ >ヮ< /
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I read the one shot of Nisekoi and I don't agree with the people who say that it will compete kagami. Kagami focuses more on romance whereas I didn't have that feeling with Nisekoi at all. Nisekoi had a romantic aspect like double arts had one too. The mangaka uses comedy, action in this manga too but for some reason this will be more a magico equivalent than a Kagami equivalent. No nisekoi won't be a fantasy manga but its romance will be developed like romance is used in magico rather than it is used in Kagami.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

ST&RS vol.1 has sold out on Amazon.

It's looking like it will probably sell 30,000-45,000 copies in its first week :D
I'm not sure Amazon is good source to predict a tank sales.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I read the one shot of Nisekoi and I don't agree with the people who say that it will compete kagami. Kagami focuses more on romance whereas I didn't have that feeling with Nisekoi at all. Nisekoi had a romantic aspect like double arts had one too. The mangaka uses comedy, action in this manga too but for some reason this will be more a magico equivalent than a Kagami equivalent. No nisekoi won't be a fantasy manga but its romance will be developed like romance is used in magico rather than it is used in Kagami.
Actually, it all depends. Remember that one-shots/pilots can be totally different from the finalized version (series) so we won't know until we read the chapter later. Whether Komi wants to focus heavily on comedy, or go for a really nice balance between rom-com.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I'm not sure Amazon is good source to predict a tank sales.
Amazon selling out of copies is a great indicator. A major retailer selling out means that there is demand, and that demand was higher than expected. It does not mean that volume 1 will sell 100,000 copies it's first two weeks, but it does mean that sales for St&rs will be higher than average compared to the first volume of most other series. I fully expect that sales for the first week will be low, reflecting the scarcity of copies, with second week sales higher than usual for a new comer. St&rs is a really good manga, very high quality, I think it will find it's fanbase and recover from weak early polling.

Couldn't agree with Koen more about Nisekoi. It really does not have much in common with Kagami.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Although I don't read ST&RS (I fear it being cancelled), I really want to see it succeed. From what I've seen its something fresh and the art is very appealing (it kind of reminds me of Hoopmen, which was also by a former assistant of Eyeshield 21's Miura). Also, it has a sexy volume cover :D!

Nisekoi was an alright one-shot. I really enjoyed Double Arts, and if the relationship between the two (or three?) leads in Nisekoi is as good as the one between Kiri and Elly, then I think it'll do pretty well. Here's hoping that it does well.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Unlike Kurogane where the series first chapter was almost exatcly like the oneshot, the Nisekoi series (based on the spoilers) is almost entirely different from the oneshot.

Differences
- The marriage promise that the protagonist made to a certain girl when he was a child
- The "Key"
- The blond haired girls appearance
- The black haired female character
- The protagonist might have one-sided feelings for the black haired character
- Blond haired girl transfered from America
- Spoilers don't say anything about the protagonist and the blond haired girl being a super smart honor students
- No Yakuza is mentioned, just that the blond haired girl is the daughter of a GANG boss and the protagonists father deals in firearms
- A time is given for how long the father wants them to fake being in love for..... 3 years
- The concept of the gift/meeting on christmas day thing in the oneshot is gone
- Nothing about action written in the spoilers (might occur later)

Stayed the same
- The overall theme of a "Promise"
- Protagonists appearance, name (and maybe personality?)
- Blond haired girl character, her name (and mabye personality?)
- Protagonist and the blond haired girl argue/fight with each other
- The concept of the protagonist and the blond haired girl going out against their wills to settle the conflict between the two groups
 
Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

It's nice to see variation with the genre so hopefully Nisekoi will survive and provide something new to the magazine. I have yet to read it, but it does look promising from the sound of it.

TOC: I'm sad that Beelzebub is ranked low because I'm actually enjoying this arc- the gags are hilarious too. I wouldn't have expected Bakuman's recent chapters to be able to beat OP. :o

The ranking for Sket Dance isn't bad per se, but it's still sad since it was snuggled within the top 5 for weeks.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

After I read first chapter of Nisekoi:

It is quite different from one shot, although the format is still same. Unlike other new series (like just revising its first chapter), Nisekoi showed more relationship building between Raku and Chitoge. So far, this series isn't that bad, but I'm not sure how it'll going to do against Kagami.
 

Westlo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
60
Reaction score
14
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

ST&RS vol.1 has sold out on Amazon.

It's looking like it will probably sell 30,000-45,000 copies in its first week :D
Don't forget that Medaka Box Volume 1 sold out as well.. the problem was that they only printed 20,000 copies.. so the same could happen to STARS.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

It looks like Kochikame going to have an important announcement on next issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top