Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Not a great week for Kurogane, just barely out of the bottom five this week. Unfortunately three of the bottom five are mainstays that will not be canceled with the next round of cuts. I still think that Magico will be one of the next to go, along with St&rs. Hunter x Hunter will probably save a third series from cancellation, Kurogane and Kagami will likely live to see another round of cancellations.

I don't actually read Kurogane, so I'm not exactly invested in it's well being. The only Jump series I read are HxH, OP, Bleach, Naruto, and Nisekoi. If Nisekoi polls poorly I plan on giving new meaning to the phrase "butthurt".
Why you no read Gintama Kaiten? ;_; It's been actually pretty awesome this last year.

Although, agreed...HXH and One piece are pretty amazing.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Not a great week for Kurogane, just barely out of the bottom five this week. Unfortunately three of the bottom five are mainstays that will not be canceled with the next round of cuts. I still think that Magico will be one of the next to go, along with St&rs. Hunter x Hunter will probably save a third series from cancellation, Kurogane and Kagami will likely live to see another round of cancellations.

I don't actually read Kurogane, so I'm not exactly invested in it's well being. The only Jump series I read are HxH, OP, Bleach, Naruto, and Nisekoi. If Nisekoi polls poorly I plan on giving new meaning to the phrase "butthurt".
Quite frankly, I don't see Nisekoi surviving. At all. It's been 4 chapters already and there's virtually no development from the plot.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

A very nice TOC to see. Good seeing Toriko above Naruto, and then Gintama. Good seeing Bleach really low, too. If the series goes back to having a meaningful plot in the "long arc" Kubo said he was going to do after this "short" one, maybe it'll graudally improve. But we'll have to see. So far it still feels like a totally different manga, then they brought random older characters in to erase all the shitty development.
I think most of us know by now that HXH's ranks don't matter because it sells just about as well as Naruto. Or a little less. Like nearly a million copies by the time it goes off the Oricon.
Beelzebub has been very "battle"/"war"-ish in recent chapters. I wonder if the readers think it's out of its depth or something. Or maybe because a lot of enemies are being introduced without being developed all that much to the point where you really CARE about what's going on.

I think we can all agree that Stars is gonna get cancelled eventually. Magico will probably last longer, but ultimately won't be long-running. Just as a supposition.

So Jump NEXT is gonna have Enigma and Saikyou Jump is gonna have a Toriko one-shot by Shimabu. And I thought I would get a couple weeks off with the combined issues 3-4 and 5-6 this winter... Buuut now I've got all this extra stuff to do.

I wonder why Toriko has the cover next week, if they're gonna announce something. They usually have some kind of reason even if it's just # anniversary, large # total copies sold, release of X volume, but none of that's happening next week. And the last big milestone in sales was passed in the last opening color a month ago. So unless there's a movie announcement or something it's just a general "for the hell of it".
 
Last edited:

Animeace

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 11, 2010
Messages
371
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Bleach in the bottom 5 again I know a lot havent enjoyed this arch (I know I havent) but still I cant believe the fans are supporting it so little.. Kubo need too just jump straight ahead into Isshin gaiden and royal realm stuff before it's too late.. Should be clear to him by now Cycling the same old stuff not going to work anymore ppl want to see new stuff there's still tons of match ups he could do with the captains and vizards so many bankai's/abilities we havent seen I wander if he has even thought up of them. My faith is beginning to waver.
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I wonder if Nurarihyon no Mago and Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa didn't have colour pages this week they might be in the bottom five and take inumaru dashi and Bleach out. Perhaps Jump staff are trying to save these series by giving them more colour pages?
Color Pages or not, they ARE ranked in WSJ's ranking lists. ToC is just an unofficial list given to fans to make them know that if they want this series to survive, it would be a good idea to vote for it.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Bakuman will be the series on the Weekly Shounen Jump Spine in 2012.

It seemed like it was going to end pretty soon, but if it's getting the spine on every issue this year I guess it wont be.
 
Last edited:

shezar

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
25
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Nice TOC overall.
Naruto is bit too high and Beel bit to low.
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Bakuman will be the series on the Weekly Shounen Jump Spine in 2012.

It seemed like it was going to end pretty soon, but if it's getting the spine on every issue this year I guess it wont be.
Please no more stretching of Bakuman. We don't need any more Nanamine arcs. Bakuman is really one of few Manga here that can't be stretched too much... as was the former work of these authors.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Interesting week. Medaka almost made it to the top 5, and Bleach is in the bottom 5 as it deserves to be for this terrible arc. Feel a bit bad for a Kurogane being so low since it's actually kind of interesting but it's not in the bottom 5 yet so it may have some hope. The way things are looking though, it;s only a matter of times before St&rs, kagami and magico get cleared out.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

the TOC looks good, ST&RS already is a goner so I don't mind it's position :/
Magico is a rather generic read but I wouldn't doom it yet, I do think that it has a chance of surviving but I don't see it staying that long either. At least the last chapters weren't hinting at it ending anytime soon so I suppose it won't be canceled this time.
And it's great to see that Medaka gets so much "love" lately, the current Arc really is great and it looks like the readers do appreciate it. Looking forward to the color page.


I don't actually read Kurogane, so I'm not exactly invested in it's well being. The only Jump series I read are HxH, OP, Bleach, Naruto, and Nisekoi. If Nisekoi polls poorly I plan on giving new meaning to the phrase "butthurt".
I completely agree on this, Nisekoi is a very refreshing and funny romcon so I hope it will do well. In my opinion it's the best new series of the year and I really wish for the Jump readers to acknowledge Komi's work this time.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I completely agree on this, Nisekoi is a very refreshing and funny romcon so I hope it will do well. In my opinion it's the best new series of the year and I really wish for the Jump readers to acknowledge Komi's work this time.
I'm not sure whether Nisekoi is fresh romcon. So far, it follows all of basic formats of romcon, so there isn't really anything new. The only part is different from other romcon is both male/female protagonists' families are either yakuza or mafia.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Not exactly TOC related.. But we discuss lots of unrelated stuff anyway so I might as well comment..

ONE PIECE sells LOTS of volumes.


Deja vu, anyone?

Anyway at this point ONE PIECE is just way ahead of any other manga.. The only other manga that could potentially rival OP's popularity is IMO Hunter X Hunter.. Sells crazy too and its anime-revival is an obvious marketing ploy to recover old viewers/readers while also gathering for the younger generation (Which I guess HXH lacks?? I mean its a 13 year old title that hasn't been running constantly until now.. That'd also explain why it doesn't rank in the TOC well since TOC voters tend to be younger )
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Not exactly TOC related.. But we discuss lots of unrelated stuff anyway so I might as well comment..

ONE PIECE sells LOTS of volumes.


Deja vu, anyone?

Anyway at this point ONE PIECE is just way ahead of any other manga.. The only other manga that could potentially rival OP's popularity is IMO Hunter X Hunter.. Sells crazy too and its anime-revival is an obvious marketing ploy to recover old viewers/readers while also gathering for the younger generation (Which I guess HXH lacks?? I mean its a 13 year old title that hasn't been running constantly until now.. That'd also explain why it doesn't rank in the TOC well since TOC voters tend to be younger )
I'm kind of getting tired of One Piece's news about breaking sale records; this new is not even surprising anymore.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

From this ^ news:
In 2008, One Piece sold 5,956,540 copies, and in 2009, it sold 14,721,241 copies. Last year, it sold 32,343,809 copies.

2011's second best-selling manga series was Naruto with 6,874,840 copies, followed by Blue Exorcist's 5,223,712 copies.
Wow, I didn't knew that just in 1 year OP's volume sales went more than half of the total copies sold the year before. Its outstanding <though not necessarily - it was WAR arc <without spoilers> that time, right?>
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Might be a little early to speculate on Niseoki's TOC position as there is absolutely nothing other than personal taste to base an opinion on. Like the series or not it is barely half way to it's first ranking and there is absolutely no way to know what Jump readers will think of the series. Let's wait until at least six chapters are out to wildly speculate about it's position. But it might be best to wait until a chapter is actually ranked and their is actual tangible evidence to base an opinion on, not just speculation based on subjective taste.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Setting so many records that one of the greatest runs of excellence in manga history has become mundane is an amazing achievement!
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

More breaking news
29 are Shueisha titles, 28 are JUMP (SQ or Weekly.. the other was REAL which is Young JUMP IIRC?).. Of those 29, 7 are ONE PIECE volumes.. and check this ONE PIECE volume 1 (barely) made top 50!! its top 50!! Not too shabby for a 15 year old volume, huh?

And well.. to make my post more In topic, I think the TOC system JUMP uses its the very best.. More than 50% of the market top-sellers.
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Hmm..I'm surprised. I was expecting Bleach to stay on the top because Kubo brought back fan-favorites..not this plummet.
This will be interesting to watch if bleach stays that way.

ST&RS a pity, I thought it had a potential. I'm pretty sure Magico will be staying for a longer time now, seeing how
it is always high and low. I only read the first few arcs and they weren't anything great but I'm planning to continue it.
I hope nura is not saved by cp this week, nura really needs to rise. The same can be said for beelzebub.
 

murtas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
119
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Anyone saying it isn't a surprising number is pretty dumb, from 37,996,373 copies sold, only 12,316,031 are from the 4 volumes during that perid.
That means that 60% of the sales of One Piece in 2010 are from older volumes..... isn't that alot? Then i don't know what it is... they even have 100% grow from year to year in OP volumes sales.
Men i WANT that business! :p Everyone would with that rates!

But, I love One Piece and my thoughts with every masterpiece i read/saw (being it in any Art) it is very well deserved by the author!
Oda Sensei, you rich genius bastard! :p
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

The popularity of the this years volume renewed sales of older volumes. Throughout the year old volumes were returning to the Oricon top 30. New fans were going back in droves to buy the old volumes.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

2011 Jump Comic Series Sale Rankings
*1. ONE PIECE - 37,996,373
*2. NARUTO - 6,874,840
*5. Toriko - 4,665,634
*6. Gintama - 4,415,491
*7. Bakuman - 4,399,938
*8. BLEACH - 4,187,258
12. SKET DANCE - 3,157,012
13. HUNTERxHUNTER - 2,922,876
14. Nurarihyon no Mago - 2,853,552
15. Beelzebub - 2,607,474
17. REBORN! - 2,550,542
24. Kuroko no Basket - 1,712,983
39. Medaka Box - 1,111,444

2010 Jump Comic Series Sale Rankings
*1. ONE PIECE - 32,343,809
*2. NARUTO - 7,409,068
*5. BLEACH - 5,204,193
*7. Gintama - 3,978,439
*8. REBORN! - 3,479,219
*9. Nurarihyon no Mago - 3,269,379
11. Bakuman - 3,212,634
19. SKET DANCE - 1,839,634
25. Toriko - 1,556,103
28. Kuroko no Basket - 1,478,246
34. HUNTERxHUNTER - 1,234,696
39. Beelzebub - 1,125,240
47. Medaka Box - 1,022,490
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top