Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

The character designs of Oumagadoki and Yotsuya Senpai are pretty unique, in my opinion. Not a recent series, but Muhyo & Roji art style is awesome too.
Yotsuya Senpai definitely had unique art. Oumagadoki did to an extent. The human characters still looked a little typical of Jump, not as homogenized as most series. I was thinking a little more of series that debuted in 2010 and 2011, good or bad series from 2009 or older all seem to have unique art styles and character design. That includes mid-decade series such as Muhyo.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Maybe most don't dare to create something more unique, maybe some were assistents to some running series, taking a bit of style because they know it works. Look at the bright side, the unique ones will shine even more brightly so. :P
I wonder, since this was not the case even two years ago. As Inumaru pointed out, there have been exceptions, but as a rule there seems to be a more homogenous look to new Jump manga. Maybe the editors want a more unified look, or something like that :/

I guess the unique series do shine a little brighter now, even some of the series from the late 90's/early 2000's look better by comparison. Early Naruto looks really dazzling by comparison. One Piece, Toriko, and Hunter x Hunter look even better now too, in my opinion.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Seeing how Toriko, Gintama, HXH and Bakuman have all had new animes since February, those first-volume numbers probably aren't currently accurate.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

That Zombie Smile guy with the red hair reminds me of the Soul Eater art style.
 

Josl

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
321
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Here is the Schedule for WSJ:

12/19 : Shônen Jump #03-04 (Raw around 12/14)
12/26 : No Shônen Jump
01/04 : Shônen Jump #05-06 (Raw around 12/24)
01/09 : No Shônen Jump
01/16 : Shônen Jump #08 (Raw around 01/11)

Like you can see WSJ is taking a Break next week (for us this week). However in the last few years there was an early leak, which means we COULD get Issue 05-06 this Saturday or even earlier(or a bit later).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I do think Jump puts a little pressure on the artists to maintain a "mainstream" art style, but I also think its because they are shifting away from darker, nihilistic themes in general.

Even if Jump's target audience is still predominantly teenage boys, you want to have a style that is clean enough to have universal appeal. Jump's female readers are proof of that.
 

Samui

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
555
Reaction score
151
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Can someone tell me what the one shots are about?
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Kaiten
By god, don't that be the case, I don't know why they would aim for uniformness/regularity with One Piece as their top seller, even Toriko reminds one of the 80/90s. You even mention it yourself, first time works look mostly pretty simple for the first one, two, three years. XD You've got to give them some transition time, Kishimoto, Oda, Amano, Kubo have all improved greatly over time in the art gepartment. Those new guys may need time to find their own style, though first impressions are needed too, it's a vicious circle.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Kaiten
By god, don't that be the case, I don't know why they would aim for uniformness/regularity with One Piece as their top seller, even Toriko reminds one of the 80/90s. You even mention it yourself, first time works look mostly pretty simple for the first one, two, three years. XD You've got to give them some transition time, Kishimoto, Oda, Amano, Kubo have all improved greatly over time in the art gepartment. Those new guys may need time to find their own style, though first impressions are needed too, it's a vicious circle.
I disagree here.Sure,Kishimoto's and Kubo's art styles were still rough,but they were unique and incredible.I still miss Kishi's old art style.Anyhow,those new manga look as if the style is already settled and there is no room for improvement.It looks so polished it's almost boring.Well,not almost.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Your right... I wondered how ST&RS could have such a refined style already and to be honest I would prefer Kubo's style from Zombie Powder/early Bleach over his current one, which looks damn good, but became far too stylized Imo. It's nice to recognize a mangaka by his art style.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I agree: The art of Bleach and Naruto have become a bit to streamlined over the years. I still like both but prefer the earlier, slightly more old school style.

Even some recent titles have very individualistic looks. Toriko, Beelzebub, Medaka, Kuroko, Sket Dance, and Inumari are all very distinct, unique looking manga.
 

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I hope that Mago will have a third season, the second was indeed well done.
And I want to ask something: the anime of Beelzebub and Sket Dance will continue after 50 episodes or they will end?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

As far as I know there have been no announcements regarding Sket and Beelze. Anime generally are not scheduled for more than 52 episodes but are extended on a year by year basis. DGM ended because the TV station chose not to extend it for another year. We will probably have a better idea by March, if they have announced more than 52 episode titles. Go to the anime details page at Animenewsnetwork for something like that. I can't recall formal announcements for anime of that length though, the station just orders more episodes, there's no break in the broadcast, and everyone goes on with there lives.
 

BianchiChrome

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
220
Reaction score
111
Age
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Hello! :amuse

I hate to ask the most asked question this week. I just want to know if there is going to be a chapter this week. Normally when SJ goes on break Manga Stream puts up a banner on their site but I don't see a banner. Does that mean that there will be chapter this week? I am quite sure that there will not be one next week because of the holidays.

I just want to be completely clear on this matter.
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Officially, there is no chapter on december 26th (Monday), so no chapter on this week.

Early release around saturday is not certain. Can or cannot happen.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Hopefully it's next Wednesday, as usual. Drives me nuts when they release early. I'd rather go one week without chapters than get chapters early but have a two week gap. Especially with the next double issue coming up in two weeks.
 

yumimi

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Messages
62
Reaction score
11
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Your right... I wondered how ST&RS could have such a refined style already and to be honest I would prefer Kubo's style from Zombie Powder/early Bleach over his current one, which looks damn good, but became far too stylized Imo. It's nice to recognize a mangaka by his art style.
Both Takeuchi and Miyokawa have been working as assistants for years to several different mangakas (only with Jump mangakas I think... I don't remember any non-Jump anywhere) . And yes, I prefer old Bleach art to new as well >_<
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Both Takeuchi and Miyokawa have been working as assistants for years to several different mangakas (only with Jump mangakas I think... I don't remember any non-Jump anywhere)
I think Miyokawa worked under Murata and Takeuchi worked under Murata, Kawashita, and Akatsuki.

Also, I did upload this one a long time ago, but there are some changes, so I'll upload again. It is assistant map of Shonen Jump and Jump SQ. authors (in Japanese; I'm too lazy to translate, someone else can translate this if s/he wants to):

 
Last edited by a moderator:

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I really prefer it to be a week off, then an issue, then another week off rather than two weeks off in a row.
Also, I think we should figure out if HXH will continue without going on hiatus at the end of the chapter in this issue. Also in the "next issue preview" part at the back of the magazine.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I hope that Mago will have a third season, the second was indeed well done.
And I want to ask something: the anime of Beelzebub and Sket Dance will continue after 50 episodes or they will end?
Beelze has a new OP and ED announcement, so it goes without saying it will continue for at least another cour. Sket has the material to do it, although a lot of people have been complaining that the anime adaptation is lacking compared to the manga, and the DVD sales are pretty terrible. (Although in normal practice, outside of movies, specials One piece and Gintama, jump anime are not known for having amazing DVD numbers.) Sket hasn't reached a year yet, so it's unknown if it will continue through 50 episodes though I would imagine with so much material and the volumes getting offset by the anime airing, they'll keep it going for a bit.

Unrelated, but I have a feeling Gintama will probably head back into hiatus in April (the anime), and as for Kaiten's comment, I think DGM ended more because they had caught up with the material due to Hoshino being on hiatus so often. Like Togashi and HXH, I have a feeling if DGM had a more normal serialization the anime might still be going.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Sket hasn't reached a year yet, so it's unknown if it will continue through 50 episodes though I would imagine with so much material and the volumes getting offset by the anime airing, they'll keep it going for a bit.
It is also confirmed that Sket Dance going to have new opening and ending, so I think Sket Dance will continue for a while. Plus, it has plenty of materials to be animated.

If a series have more than 20 volumes, their anime-adaptation has higher chance to last more than 50 episodes; some of them even continue until 100 episodes, so we can expect they going to last for pretty long time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top