Kochikame made its debut in 1976 in Issue 42. There were 10 chapters that year since there were only 52 issues w/ 48-49 being a double issue. Below are how many issues there were in each subsequent year:
77: 51
78: 50
79: 50
80: 50
81: 51
82: 50
83: 50
84: 50
85: 50
86: 50
87: 50
88: 51
89: 49
90: 50
91: 48
92: 48
93: 48
94: 48
95: 48
96: 48
97: 48
98: 48
99: 48
00: 48
01: 48
02: 48
03: 48
04: 49
05: 48
06: 48
07: 48
08: 48
09: 49
10: 48
11: 47
12: 10 (up through issue 12)
Since Kochikame has never missed an issue add all of those up and you get 1731. Now, Kochikame had 2 chapters in Issue 51 of 2011. If they were both numbered this equates to 1732 chapters. Again, I cross referenced this information with issues in 2010/2011 with the names that were assigned to chapter numbers in the tanks (since they are not numbered in the issues). Those issues are in storage otherwise I would attempt to do this again. The most recent issue I have is 48 from 2011 (the next newest not in storage is from 2008) with a title of ポリスアニマルランドの巻き (Police animal land something...). Wikipedia used to have the tanks list chapter names and numbers but they have since updated it to only include volume names and numbers, so I'm not able to do exactly what I did before, plus I don't think chapter 1718 is in tank form anyway. I'm not sure why the chapter numbers are that far off, but I know I will be keeping my chapter record the way I have it currently, with chapter 1732 corresponding with Issue 12 from 2012.