Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Anyway, enjoy, 3 and 4 should come in the next few days (I've finished the translation for 4 just yesterday).
thanks to you and the other guy's from mri =)

is HOKENSHITSU NO SHINIGAMI such a filler as neuro or just like everything else, because its really ranked low in the toc's.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
It seemed Magazine and Sunday are not taking break as compared to Jump. I'm not sure whether it was wise choice for Jump to take break or not.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
It seemed Magazine and Sunday are not taking break as compared to Jump. I'm not sure whether it was wise choice for Jump to take break or not.
Rumors has it that it's because several printing factories contracted by Shueisha were damaged by the earthquake, and they are unable to print sufficient copies on time for a lot of their publications.

Which is why Shueisha is the only publisher that has actually delayed publication dates nationwide, when the other publishers only warns of delays in certain local areas (due to delivery, of course).


thanks to you and the other guy's from mri =)

is HOKENSHITSU NO SHINIGAMI such a filler as neuro or just like everything else, because its really ranked low in the toc's.
You can't really compare the two, because Neuro, towards the end, has at least established a cult following, while Shinigami is still consider "young". This is why even though Neuro was ranking in the bottom, it was still getting color pages.

If you're looking at the tank sales (from Oricon):
Shinigami 1: 14,496
Shinigami 2: 26,513
Shinigami 3: 29,512
Shinigami 4: 28,375
Shinigami 5: 37,230
Shinigami 6: 42,248

Neuro 21: 79,814
Neuro 22: 85,725
Neuro 23 (Fin): 120,450

I'd put Shinigami as in better shape than Psyren was, but I doubt it's reached the cult status Neuro was in (it's pretty rare for a manga to actually sell that much higher for its final volume, and yet, Neuro managed to do just that).

If only Psyren had gotten an anime... It could at least get to the level of Neuro...
 
Last edited:

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
i didn't mean the succes of the series, only the publication form within the magazine. i thought neuro was a filler manga for other mangas on breaks and so on, at that time i didn't looked at the toc's at all.

If you're looking at the tank sales (from Oricon):
Shinigami 1: 14,496
Shinigami 6: 42,248
who buys the sixt volume without the first one?
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
It's really funny, because originally, I've all but given up on newer WSJ series ever since the end of Akaboshi and Hoop. I haven't even touched Enigma or Zoo even though the feedback seem nice. I have no idea what had gotten into me, but I just sort of decided to check out this round's new series, including Magico (and that was two weeks ago, and I only read chapter 3 when I decided that I want to translate this series :P). While I'm not going to proclaim it's the second coming of anything, I find it really enjoyable and entertaining.
Now that you mention Hoop (:scry Hoop :scry), I feel like I'm somewhat building up a bad track record here... Hoop failed despite being awesome, Oumaga fails even though it's great. Dammit!! :rant

So, good luck with magico, Finestela. I'll keep my fingers crossed your efforts won't be wasted! :thumbs
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
i didn't mean the succes of the series, only the publication form within the magazine. i thought neuro was a filler manga for other mangas on breaks and so on, at that time i didn't looked at the toc's at all.

who buys the sixt volume without the first one?
lol, it's not a filler... There are no "filler series" in WSJ, by your definition, since the fillers are always 1-shot manga chapters from newbies or test pilot for possible serialization.

And the Oricon number only reflects that of a series if the weekly sales is inside the top 50. If you're out of the top 50, your numbers will no longer be updated.

For that Volume 1 number, it reflects just the first week number because Shinigami 1 fell off the chart in week 2.

Think of it as a measure for fan intensity.


Now that you mention Hoop (:scry Hoop :scry), I feel like I'm somewhat building up a bad track record here... Hoop failed despite being awesome, Oumaga fails even though it's great. Dammit!! :rant

So, good luck with magico, Finestela. I'll keep my fingers crossed your efforts won't be wasted! :thumbs
Zoo... Sigh...
If its tank sales is decent, then there'd might be more reason for the editors to save it, but... none of the tanks so far even made the chart for Oricon :/
 
Last edited:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I found it pretty.. Ironic, I guess? That from all the ilustrations the authors provided, Kubo Tite was for me one of the best, great drawing, it not being just a draw but a sequence.. BUT!!! Ironically, as BLEACH itself it has no text!
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Two more illustrations were added.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Awesome :3

It seems Fujimaki (Kuroko no Basuke) and Aimoto's (Hokenshitsu) were left out, though.




Translations for those interested:
Oda Eiichirou
Luffy: I'm feeling awesome!!!
Usopp (and the rest) : Who cares about you!!
Nami: This time, it's our turn to support you!!

Tanabe Kizuku
Let's unite and work hard together!
- Stockpiling isn't fairy-tale-like!
message: It is precisely at a time like this that we should work together and do our best

Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi
To all victims of the natural disasters
- You gotta fight!!
- Woof!!
Do your best!!

Fujimaki Tadatoshi
Praying and donating, and another thing a single person can do to bring cheer to many others - drawing, that's all I am able to do. I've taken the liberty to do all three. I pray that all of you affected by the quake will have your smiles return to your faces even a day sooner

Aimoto Shou
We're helping to conserve electricity even in the infirmary
I pray that "Jump" will bring some cheer to even one more person among you

Same as before, these are also available as wallpapers.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
i'm currently reading akaboshi (ch. 8), because a lot suggested it, but i can clearly see why it failed at the toc's. Most of the story is only about to go from one fight to the next with a few sentences between them. It seems to me that japanese kidz don't like battles at all. there are exceptions like grand battle with favourite characters, but most of them.

Look at the bottom 5 and see for yourself. Medaka (student council battle), Oumagi(aqua park battles), KHR(shimon family). I don't no about mago and hokenshitsu, but my guess is "they lost their fans because of long battle arc's".

Even popular mangas like bleach naruto arent unaffected. Bleach suffers still from the aizen arc. it's true that its even now ranked low without endless battles, but when the story improves and gets richer in its contents then bleach will ranked better. So whats wrong with naruto?
dont get me wrong with this one. its still in top 3 every week, but it loses often its first place, even in a week without one piece, to mangas like bakuman and gintama. That ins't something what happend one time, but these last few months more often. look what going on in it and you see "countless unimportant battles."

maybe the reason is that most of the mangas are battle mangas and the most interesting fight gets all the votes. so the others looses their points to it because of the similarity.
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Asgaroth said:
Even popular mangas like bleach naruto arent unaffected. Bleach suffers still from the aizen arc.
Bleach fell down when the battles stopped as far as I remember.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
i read 270 chapters of Bleach and i think i wont read more , since i started reading manga , Bleach is the biggest disillusion that i had, it is so overrated :(, much worse than Naruto and One Piece, i don't see why in the world was it ever called on of the big three :omg

if what most of you say that Bleach is worse now that he was sometime ago , i think that it is still pretty good if Bleach can get 6 or 7 position on the TOC
 
Last edited:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
When there are 10 battle manga, most people vote for the Big 3. So the other battle manga are negatively affected.

Series like Enigma and Bakuman have no competition, so they always rank well in the ToC. Mago and Reborn! are basically Big 3 Lite, so their rankings can either be Bottom 5 if the chapter's average (because the votes will go to the Big 3 instead), or a lot higher than that if they have an exceptionally good chapter that stands out more than the Big 3.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
i speak for me but i don't think that the battles in itself are the most important , i thikn the most important is the plot and even if the fights are cool if the plot is not good and the stuff doesnt make sense i will not continue seeing it !
I can understand that Bleach was the 3º manga with better fights but comparing that to quality is just .......
So thats why i don't understand how the hell did Bleach ranked so good during so many time , cuz although the story had a lot of potential i think that Kuro didn't have the enough talent to make Bleach one of the greatest typical shounen ever.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
i speak for me but i don't think that the battles in itself are the most important , i thikn the most important is the plot and even if the fights are cool if the plot is not good and the stuff doesnt make sense i will not continue seeing it !
I can understand that Bleach was the 3º manga with better fights but comparing that to quality is just .......
So thats why i don't understand how the hell did Bleach ranked so good during so many time , cuz although the story had a lot of potential i think that Kuro didn't have the enough talent to make Bleach one of the greatest typical shounen ever.
Of course I agree that plot is far more important than battles, BUT kids and teenagers disagree. When I was 13 or so, the battles were what I wanted to see and looked forward to. That's why the most popular manga are battle manga.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
...or a lot higher than that if they have an exceptionally good chapter that stands out more than the Big 3.
are there really chapter that could do that? besides gintama/bakuman/toriko aren't any others series in the top 3, even when the chapters are extemely good.

isn't it stupid to do so many battle mangas, when the top3 and others like toriko are enough already? wouldn't it be more popular/successful to do alternate mangas like bakuman/enigma, because of the lesser competition? Maybe jump don't get many good names for other genre...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top