Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I can't see any of the current established series ending any time soon. Medaka and Shinigami are the only likely ones.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Naruto will probably end in 2012, early 2013 at the latest. This is clearly the final arc, a long arc, but never the less the last one. That's the only really obvious one I can think of. I don't really read anything but the big three anymore, so I can't really make any predictions ^^
 

SoulEaterFreak

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
93
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
The nice people at Clockwork Lies have scanlated volume 1.
I think you mean "chapter" 1. And the first chapter of Sengoku ARMORS and the other 3 new series were already online on the english shonenjump.com website. I posted it here a few weeks ago but well.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Naruto will probably end in 2012, early 2013 at the latest. This is clearly the final arc, a long arc, but never the less the last one. That's the only really obvious one I can think of. I don't really read anything but the big three anymore, so I can't really make any predictions ^^
he could do a bleach-break....
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Sengoku armors was also well received and it's not scanlated. Koen if this one is also scanlated in French please share the news :-)
Je suis heureux d'être capable de parler en français ;)

Yeah, the first chapter is released in English but it is true what k-dom says. The mange is well received and it deserves more love in HERE and with more Edited Mangas :)
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Gintama could end soon whitin one year or within a few years if sorachi wants it :lmao

But the settings for a final arc are done. But the main question are the comedy chapters.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Je suis heureux d'être capable de parler en français ;)
Ca me fait plaisir aussi. N'hésite pas à passer dans la French thread si tu veux parler manga ou BD en français, :-)
Gintama could end soon whitin one year or within a few years if sorachi wants it :lmao

But the settings for a final arc are done. But the main question are the comedy chapters.
is it something related to the not yet scanlated chapters ? I thought of Gintama as a serie which could last forever with the non existence plot of it. But maybe it's a good idea to stop while it is at its top, I don't want to see an end like Naruto current one
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Bakuman could go at any time as well. Personally, I don't see it getting out of 2012. Thre isn't much else that can be done besides them somehow fulfilling their dream. Mago could go, maybe not end but transfering is just as good. Reborn has been very low lately as well so it's always a possiblity of an early ending.
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
he could do a bleach-break....
Difference between Kishimoto and Kubo seems to be the fact that Kishimoto actually seems to want to end it while Kubo would be ready to go on indefinitely if he could.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Difference between Kishimoto and Kubo seems to be the fact that Kishimoto actually seems to want to end it while Kubo would be ready to go on indefinitely if he could.
yeah i can't understand why i doesn't want to end it. he should have enough money and could do something creatives like a oneshot or a short series. besides its not like that a new work form him couldn't be a hit or run long.
 

come come paradise

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
54
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
France
I think you guys are thinking too much in terms of plot, which isn't very relevant when talking about series spanning over hundreds of chapters... Of course Bakuman, Gintama, Naruto, etc. could end any day if the authors wanted to, since we've long since seen the point of the stories. Will they end is another matter, first off it'd imply Shueisha would be willing to let go of these series.

I was also surprised by Kubo's decision to continue Bleach last year, it kind of came off as Shueisha choosing to let go of Naruto should it come to an end and supporting it by extending Bleach, but who knows, the same could happen to Naruto. I honestly feel that both Kubo and Kishimoto are fed up of these series xD

As for the shorter/less popular series, I guess Medaka could come to an end soon? Haven't read Shinigami.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think Naruto and Medaka are in their final/close to final arcs. Bakuman I'm less sure about, but Obata rarely does super long stuff so it certainly wouldn't be surprising if it ended soon.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Well, according to Kubo's interview from Masked, he still has a lot of things he wants to write and explorer. I was quite surprised at how this new arc has been pretty independent from past plot developments because it seems that he wanted to tie up a few loose ends from the previous arcs.

Not really sure what to make of Naruto. The fact that he brings so many past foes as well ones mentioned by name in the past, only to have the battles concluded off panel, seem to suggest either the readers are feeling the story is dragging, or that Kishimoto himself feels its dragging.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
is it something related to the not yet scanlated chapters ? I thought of Gintama as a serie which could last forever with the non existence plot of it. But maybe it's a good idea to stop while it is at its top, I don't want to see an end like Naruto current one
I guess everything is scanlated. Well Sorachi is not stupid and he said he wanted to go for about 30 volumes and stop if I recall correctly.

He already passed that number but I'm sure he won't drag fo much longer.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The problem with super long series, particularly ones with certain plot obligations, is trying to convince the mangaka it is time to let go or move forwards towards an "end". Its that sort of thing that seemed to drag out Inu Yasha forever until it finally reached it's ending. Just because it "should" end doesn't mean it "will" and it could be many factors, from the mangaka to the company, that prevent it from doing so. In Jump's case, I think they did finally come to terms regarding Naruto's departure, but somehow that could also explain why many series that really should be reaching endgame or could start "endgame" haven't as of yet. This isn't like OP where Oda has a master plan or KochiKame where it's just one-shot stories that have gone on for 35 years: these series really have done all they want to and just want to hold on as long as they can until the author is ready...and that could be tomorrow or never. The same could even be said about stuff like Detective Conan or Hajime no Ippo...but I really don't want to get into all that right here and now.

All I can say is this: the best mangaka know when it's time...and the desperate mangaka just hold on as long as they can until it's too late.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
But let's be honest here, how do you define letting it go? There are rarely many long series with a proper ending, especially not for recent WSJ series. Even the widely worshiped Dragon Ball didn't really have a proper closure. While Toriyama had let it go, the time skip then open-ending is a bit "meh" in my book.

JoJo series were probably one of the few that properly closed the curtain for each "arcs" without loose ends, with each new one pretty independent from the previous. Of course, you can still call him not letting it go... :p
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Isn't a new JoJo's arc starting soon :p

Bakuman, Gintama, Naruto, etc. could end any day if the authors wanted to, since we've long since seen the point of the stories. Will they end is another matter, first off it'd imply Shueisha would be willing to let go of these series.
The war is clearly the final Naruto arc. Kishi has set it up so that the entire plot can be wrapped up when the war ends. The question is how long he intends to stretch.

Well, according to Kubo's interview from Masked, he still has a lot of things he wants to write and explorer. I was quite surprised at how this new arc has been pretty independent from past plot developments because it seems that he wanted to tie up a few loose ends from the previous arcs.

Not really sure what to make of Naruto. The fact that he brings so many past foes as well ones mentioned by name in the past, only to have the battles concluded off panel, seem to suggest either the readers are feeling the story is dragging, or that Kishimoto himself feels its dragging.
Considering how this arc is going, Bleach will have to be canceled. There is no way Kubo is going to stop on his own.

The last few months of Naruto have been classic dragging. Kishi set the war up really well, some editor realized he was positioned to end it in 100 chapters or less, and forced him to write in some dodgy fights. The last two chapters have been the first relevant to the plot in ages.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I find it quite sad for a serie such as Naruto to do that. It's not like it has more than 500 chapters already. 1 or 2 volumes more won't really change. It's one of the big hit that will sell well forever. btw do we know what are the sale of Dragon ball in present days ? Honestly this make me stop reading it.
That's quite funny because when we learned that Kekkaishi would end in 2 chapters, everyone agree that it was really short. I guess the author can say stop when he really wants to.
 
Last edited:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Talking about endings... Have any JUMP manga ever had a nice, satisfaying, conclusive ending???
Apart from Yu-Gi-Oh! which IMO seemed like an overall nice end to the series, I really can't think of any popular JUMP manga with a nice ending :/
Please not SPOILERS, or put SPOILERS or something LOL.
What I mean is.. I can't think of an ending which wasn't an open-ending... Like if the author feel like it he/she could continue its story.
I.e. Dragon Ball's ending, which I guess most will be familiar with (and if not.. Go read it!) if Toriyama ever felt like doing a continuation he just makes it so that Goku and Uub finished their training and a villian appears..
 
Last edited:

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Talking about endings... Have any JUMP manga ever had a nice, satisfaying, conclusive ending???
Apart from Yu-Gi-Oh! which IMO seemed like an overall nice end to the series, I really can't think of any popular JUMP manga with a nice ending :/
Please not SPOILERS, or put SPOILERS or something LOL.
What I mean is.. I can't think of an ending which wasn't an open-ending... Like if the author feel like it he/she could continue its story.
I.e. Dragon Ball's ending, which I guess most will be familiar with (and if not.. Go read it!) if Toriyama ever felt like doing a continuation he just makes it so that Goku and Uub finished their training and a villian appears..
Kenshin, Neuro, Death Note, Sandland, Kajika, Cowa, Level E, I''s...although most series could be drawn out if the author wanted to so I'm sure that one could argue every last JUMP series. I personally thought that Dragon Ball's ending was satisfying and fitting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top