Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hopefully Jump isn't so reliant on one series that when it ends the entire magazine is effected. Especially with the best selling manga ever still running, at the peak of it's popularity and rising.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Naruto's end will effect Jump, but with OP's magnitude it won't be nearly as bad as it would have been if Naruto were their best selling manga. Naruto isn't ending anytime soon anyway, I've said that it still has two years at least in it and I will say it again. By that time series like Beelzebub and Toriko will have gained further popularity and the loss won't be that bad really, even if Naruto will remain their 2nd best selling manga.

As for the TOC, I'm glad Enigma is still doing so well. This week's WSJ cover was pretty good.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pretty good ToC. Toriko in the top 3 is great and Medaka has its color. Bakuman and Sket are staying afloat.

I may give Enigma a read in a month or so.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Even if Naruto ending does effect Jump, they will still manage. They managed to survive after Dragonball and Slam Dunk both ended within a year of each other, and if they can survive losing two of their most popular series of all time so close to each other, they can survive losing one really popular series.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
My current main cocern for Shonen Jump is replacement for Naruto. It is too early to say about replacement of Naruto at this point, but I can see Naruto is heading its climax. I think Naruto will most likely going to end maybe next one or two years. When Naruto ends, the magazine sale for Jump will experience massive decreases. So, I think Jump editors start to look for good replacement of Naruto.

Plus, I don't think either Nurarihyon, Toriko, or Beelzebub can be replacement for Naruto. I think Gintama/Reborn level highest point which Nurarihyon/Toriko/Beelzebub can reach.

I want to know what others think about my opinion.
I think Gintama's heading for an ending in a year or two itself...Sorachi has pretty much done all of the arcs he said he'd do, and the two loose ends in the series have teamed up and are heading to Earth. Once they're taken care of, there really isn't much else left for Gintama, although it's not exactly a plot laden series. With that said, I think Beelze could become a top dog, and I won't comment on Toriko since I don't read it.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
This is off topic. Based on how Jump did on 2010, I think Jump did very poor judgement on not recognizing Isayama's talent.

If Jump did recognized his talent, his work should have become most successful Jump work on 2010.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Who's Isayama?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Who's Isayama?
Isayama Hajime is author of Shingeki no Kyojin, currently serializing in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. He used to submit his works to Shonen Jump, but his editor said, "bring Jump, not a manga." Then, Isayama changed to Magazine and becomes successful.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've seen that series, because it seems to be one of the more popular series in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine, with Doubutsu no Kuni which I scanlate and xxxHolic. The art looks kinda really bad. I dunno how it got so popular, they've given it the cover a few times now.

But that's getting off topic.
Toriko has clearly shown itself to have huge potential. Every series when it started out didn't have over 500,000 copies sold each volume. They needed to develop a fanbase, and usually that came from a long running anime. Movies, merchandising, and stuff that makes it "seem popular" which make it really get going. Toriko sells like 200K each volume now without an anime, just the one OVA basically.

That makes for a good history thing, now that I think of it. What kind of sales did the first 10 or so volumes of One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach get?
The old archives on Oricon should show that... Oh, no the site only goes back to like 2008. If anyone knows where you might find information like that, it could be useful for telling what kinda potential new series could have.

Also, Enigma's certainly seeming like it could do very well in the future, too. It will though, depend on its ability to keep up the story. It does examine a lot of "well I know this, but this still doesn't make sense" aspects of the story with the characters. And relies a lot on suspense. So unless that totally goes by the wayside, I think that kind of aspect of the story will continue.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I don't remember for Naruto and Bleach, but I do remember seeing that One Piece had consistently good TOC rankings right from the get-go. Although that doesn't necessarily reflect how well its tankoubon sold, it does at least show that it was pretty popular and well-received right from the start.

Of course when Naruto ends, JUMP will be affected. But like 3c said, with other heavyweights like One Piece and Bleach still running (though actually I think both Bleach and Naruto will end around the same time, maybe within a year or two of each other at most), the effect won't nearly be as bad. At JUMP's peak, they were selling 6 million copies a week when Dragonball, Slam Dunk etc were running. Sure when those ended, sales were affected, and JUMP even lost its spot as the top shounen magazine for a period of time, and even now circulation is only half of what it was back then, around 3 million. However, I think for something like this to happen again, it'd take the end of all the big 3 at around the same time to cause such a great decrease. Sales picked up slightly recently and I remember reading an article that JUMP attributed the rise in sales to OP. Honestly I don't think Naruto on its own will cause so great a decrease in sales to worry Shuueisha.

In fact, I would be more "worried" when OP ends. OP looks to me like the biggest heavyweight and practically the flagship manga of JUMP. It's like how Gangan is kinda struggling now despite having a rather popular manga like Soul Eater still on board, because its main flagship FMA is gone. But even so, I doubt even OP on its own would cause so compound an impact on JUMP's sales even if it were ended say this week.

In any case, like others have said, in due time, other manga will surely rise up and gain popularity and become the "new" big 3/whatever number. It may not be even Beelze, Toriko or anything that is running in JUMP right now, it could be something else altogether. The future is unknown, and that's what makes it exciting, no? :amuse
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
The old archives on Oricon should show that... Oh, no the site only goes back to like 2008. If anyone knows where you might find information like that, it could be useful for telling what kinda potential new series could have.
One Piece sold about 16,500,000 copies within first 10 volumes; Naruto sold about 12,000,000 copies within first 13 volumes; and Bleach sold about 7,000,000 copies within first 10 volumes.

Reborn sold about 4,500,000 copies within first 11 volumes; and Gintama sold 5,000,000 copies within first 10 volumes.

Nurarihyon sold about 3,600,000 copies within first 10 volumes; Toriko sold about 4,800,000 copies within 11 volumes; and Beelzebub sold 2,200,000 copies within 8 volumes.

Based on looking the series' first 10 volumes tank sales, Nurariyon's and Toriko's sales are pretty close to Reborn and Gintama. So I think Nurarihyon/Toriko can reach Reborn/Gintama level at maximum, but difficult to reach at Bleach level.

In any case, like others have said, in due time, other manga will surely rise up and gain popularity and become the "new" big 3/whatever number. It may not be even Beelze, Toriko or anything that is running in JUMP right now, it could be something else altogether. The future is unknown, and that's what makes it exciting, no? :amuse
Yes, I agree with you. But it is very difficult for series to reach One Piece/Naruto level at this time period. Also with Japanese government intervention going on, it has became even harder for series to become big hit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Nurarihyon sold about 3,600,000 copies within first 10 volumes;
No. Nurarihyon sold 3,600,000 copies in only 2010, in chapter 125 the autor said that the first 12 volumes have sold about 6,000,000 copies.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Interesting...I wonder when Enigma's first volume is coming out. Given that it hasn't left the top 5 since being ranked, I'd like to see what it's volume sales will look like.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
No. Nurarihyon sold 3,600,000 copies in only 2010, in chapter 125 the autor said that the first 12 volumes have sold about 6,000,000 copies.
Yes, I know. Nurarihyon currently sold 6,600,000 within 13 volumes. I'm just making comparison for other series' around first 10 volumes tank sales. That's why I posted only up to 10 volumes.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Um, one should add that "sold" in this case doesn't necessarily mean the volumes really passed the counter. The term "in circulation" is much better fitting. All those numbers from above are just added up from the printed volumes. (I know, this equals "sold" for the publishers and Mangaka since they're distributing them to the retailers and what not and get their money at that point, but those numbers can't really be compared with definite sales figures like the ones Oricon delivers nowadays IMO.)

Just thought I should add this for people who are not that accustomed with how those numbers are working.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
One Piece sold about 16,500,000 copies within first 10 volumes; Naruto sold about 12,000,000 copies within first 13 volumes; and Bleach sold about 7,000,000 copies within first 10 volumes.

Reborn sold about 4,500,000 copies within first 11 volumes; and Gintama sold 5,000,000 copies within first 10 volumes.

Nurarihyon sold about 3,600,000 copies within first 10 volumes; Toriko sold about 4,800,000 copies within 11 volumes; and Beelzebub sold 2,200,000 copies within 8 volumes.

Based on looking the series' first 10 volumes tank sales, Nurariyon's and Toriko's sales are pretty close to Reborn and Gintama. So I think Nurarihyon/Toriko can reach Reborn/Gintama level at maximum, but difficult to reach at Bleach level.
Wow, the differences were so great even at the beginning! I always thought the earlier arcs of OP were not as well received, so I'm surprised that it sold this well right off the bat.

I also expected Beelzebub to have bigger sales (I know it's only 8 volumes worth but still)...

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Enigma sells when its first volume comes out. Maybe Shuueisha will pull a Toriko and release vol 1 and 2 together.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I was wondering that animation is biggest advertisement for series, but is air-time of animation affect on tank sales increase? I think Nurarihyon didn't get much its increase on its volumes since its animation started. The air-time for Nurarihyon is during midnight.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was wondering that animation is biggest advertisement for series, but is air-time of animation affect on tank sales increase? I think Nurarihyon didn't get much its increase on its volumes since its animation started. The air-time for Nurarihyon is during midnight.
Probably, but most JUMP anime do get decent timeslots so that's never really been much of an issue for them.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, the differences were so great even at the beginning! I always thought the earlier arcs of OP were not as well received, so I'm surprised that it sold this well right off the bat.

I also expected Beelzebub to have bigger sales (I know it's only 8 volumes worth but still)...

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Enigma sells when its first volume comes out. Maybe Shuueisha will pull a Toriko and release vol 1 and 2 together.
They already announced in the insert texts that they're just releasing volume 1. But the fact that they're doing it when only about 14 chapters are out means it's being pushed. Also it's said stuff like "make sure you reserve it because they'll probably get sold out" in the insert comments, too.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Interesting...I wonder when Enigma's first volume is coming out. Given that it hasn't left the top 5 since being ranked, I'd like to see what it's volume sales will look like.
Don't expect huge sales, retailers typically don't order a lot of copies of a new series. Most sales for early volumes are retroactive, new fans catching up on the volumes they didn't buy. That's probably why Mago sold so well this year, fans drawn in by the Kyoto arc and the anime buying volumes they didn't get when it was new.

Um, one should add that "sold" in this case doesn't necessarily mean the volumes really passed the counter. The term "in circulation" is much better fitting. All those numbers from above are just added up from the printed volumes. (I know, this equals "sold" for the publishers and Mangaka since they're distributing them to the retailers and what not and get their money at that point, but those numbers can't really be compared with definite sales figures like the ones Oricon delivers nowadays IMO.)

Just thought I should add this for people who are not that accustomed with how those numbers are working.
Yup, Oricon (and all tracking services) track how many copies are sold to retailers. Copies sold to consumers are only tracked by the stores, those numbers are rarely made public.

I was wondering that animation is biggest advertisement for series, but is air-time of animation affect on tank sales increase? I think Nurarihyon didn't get much its increase on its volumes since its animation started. The air-time for Nurarihyon is during midnight.
An anime is only of any value to the publisher if it increases sales, they're basically infomercials for the manga. The anime probably pushed yearly volume sales into the top 5. Late night anime are aimed at college age audience who generally don't read Jump and might not have been exposed to the series by buying the magazine. A lot of people who otherwise buy SQ or Young Jump may have been buying the volumes of Mago from 2008-2009 that they missed.

Don't forget: late night anime are generally more famous and popular than the day time shows. Haruhi, Gurren Lagann, K-On!, Bakemonogatari, Clannad, Nodame Cantobile, Nana, and Durarara all aired after midnight.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top