Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
A gag manga doesn't necessarily need a sacrificial lamb
That and the fact that there is still extra room for a gag manga since Jaguar ended.
 

some guy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
27
Reaction score
12
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
Not to mention Grimm has had two one-off chapters already which were presumably well-received.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'll try not to judge until the chapter's out, but I still think WSJ is dense for accepting yet another soccer manga.

You know what would be a great sport that's innovative and mainstream? Figure skating. Not that I'm biased or anything. It has never been done for a shonen, and the Japanese figure skating team is a powerhouse so this would be a perfect time. Yes, I'll stop talking about it since I swear I said the same thing awhile ago.

I'm most interested in Sengoku ARMORS. :D Hopefully there will be a cameo/mention of Oda Nobunaga; it'll be even better if he was a character. (Never read the one-shot.)

Regarding the rankings: hang in there Reborn and Sket Dance!
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,557
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
For the love of God, give Badminton some love, JUMP!! If we import it to my country, I have a good feeling this could help spur some new talents for regeneration. We're practically the "Brazil" of badminton and we need something to inspire the younger generation to keep continuing the legacy of our badminton legends.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
You know what would be a great sport that's innovative and mainstream? Figure skating. Not that I'm biased or anything. It has never been done for a shonen [...]

I'm most interested in Sengoku ARMORS. :D Hopefully there will be a cameo/mention of Oda Nobunaga; it'll be even better if he was a character. (Never read the one-shot.)
I'm not sure about JUMP but there certainly have been Shounen series about figure skating before, e.g. Ice Revolution from JUMP SQ or Blizzard Accel from WSMagazine (? was it Magazine, I'm not sure and I can't check right now since I'm surfing with my phone... :/)Sunday.


Oh, and yeah! If I remember correctly, Oda was mentioned in Segoku ARMORS. Same goes for Akechi Mitsuhide and Toyotomi Hideyoshi. :tem
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
788 名前:メディアみっくす☆名無しさん[sage] 投稿日:2011/02/03(木) 23:54:02 ID:???
No.11
新連載 DOIS SOL(ドイソル) 村瀬克俊
Cカラー 黒子、エニグマ、ブリーチ

No.12
新連載 メルヘン王子グリム 渡邊築

No.13
新連載 magico(マジコ) 岩本直輝

No.14
新連載 戦国ARMORS 榊ショウタ
Issue 11:
Cover, Lead CP: DOIS SOL (New Series) by Murase Katsutoshi
CP: Bleach, Kuroko no Basket, Enigma

Issue 12:
Meruhen Ouji Grimm (New Series) by Watanabe Kizuku

Issue 13:
magico (New Series) by Iwamoto Naoki

Issue 14:
Sengoku ARMORS (New Series) by Sakaki Shouta
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Another Enigma color page? The editors are really having a fun time exploiting it's popularity in the rankings aren't they? Well since it was their only real success last year I guess you can't blame them...though I'm curious as to how Enigma's 1st volume would have sold had it's release not been limited(assuming that was the case).
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Wow, more color pages for Enigma :omg This is really a good sign. But with all this promo and pushing from the editorial division, one can really see why people call Enigma "konenigma" and say Enigma gets preferential treatment since Sakaki-sensei is related to Usuta-sensei :s

And color page for Bleach too? I guess we'll be seeing the Fullbringers in color :)
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
And color page for Bleach too? I guess we'll be seeing the Fullbringers in color :)
As long as it isn't the teddybear from hell or the dollhouse, we can expect something good as most color pages Kubo makes.
LOL
 

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
I hadn't read Sengoku Armors before now, but I really loved it. The story was awesome and the art was good. The monk was a really good character that I really would like to see more off. Looking forward to the first chapter.
 
Last edited:

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, more color pages for Enigma :omg This is really a good sign. But with all this promo and pushing from the editorial division, one can really see why people call Enigma "konenigma" and say Enigma gets preferential treatment since Sakaki-sensei is related to Usuta-sensei :s

And color page for Bleach too? I guess we'll be seeing the Fullbringers in color :)
Dude, Enigma has been a generally well received manga and has been doing well. It's not high because a serialized author's wife is doing it. Hell, there have been plenty of cases where serialized and popular authors have made new series and THEY got canceled quickly. (*cough* Chagecha *cough). It's genuinely a good story, and the way Jump works is what's interesting and popular is what succeeds. Not because they decide what they think SHOULD be somewhere or other. Besides, Jaguar wasn't incredibly popular anyhow. It usually sold like 200K a volume. It's completely unfair to be saying that. Especially for a new author. The original printing of Volume 1 just wasn't a lot of copies because it was a new author. It supposedly sold out in a lot of places.
 
  • Like
Reactions: R4n

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just finished the Sengoku Armors one-shot. It was pretty cool, and I think it could do some fun things as a fully serialized series. Looking forward to the first serialized chapter!!
 

LawrenceOf300

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
just finished to translate sengoku armors One shot to italian, I loved it! I hope that that kind of manga is appreciated in japan, since lots of manga about sengoku era stopped without a real ending
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Dude, Enigma has been a generally well received manga and has been doing well. It's not high because a serialized author's wife is doing it. Hell, there have been plenty of cases where serialized and popular authors have made new series and THEY got canceled quickly. (*cough* Chagecha *cough). It's genuinely a good story, and the way Jump works is what's interesting and popular is what succeeds. Not because they decide what they think SHOULD be somewhere or other. Besides, Jaguar wasn't incredibly popular anyhow. It usually sold like 200K a volume. It's completely unfair to be saying that. Especially for a new author. The original printing of Volume 1 just wasn't a lot of copies because it was a new author. It supposedly sold out in a lot of places.
Okay, okay, I should have qualified by saying that I do read Enigma and enjoy it a great deal. I totally agree with you that this is totally an unfair claim to level against it. I'm not the one leveling it, though. I'm just saying that many 2channers do. And I can sorta see why since despite being brand new, Enigma is already getting so many color pages. And its first 7 chapters before the chapters were ranked were all placed quite high on the TOCs, something that certain 2channers think is the editorial division giving preferential treatment to it.

Like I said, I disagree with this, but I can still see why people could make that conclusion. Haters will be haters, and they'll find whatever negative things they can to say about it, even if it's baseless.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Here is the preview image for upcoming new series. I think character for Sengoku Armors has changed as compared to its one shot.

Based on preview page, I, personally, have interst on Magico.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Magico looks interesting and I'm looking forward to Sengoku...Dois Sol already looks like a trainwreck though.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about JUMP but there certainly have been Shounen series about figure skating before, e.g. Ice Revolution from JUMP SQ or Blizzard Accel from WSMagazine (? was it Magazine, I'm not sure and I can't check right now since I'm surfing with my phone... :/)Sunday.


Oh, and yeah! If I remember correctly, Oda was mentioned in Segoku ARMORS. Same goes for Akechi Mitsuhide and Toyotomi Hideyoshi. :tem
Never knew that, thanks! :p It's pretty obvious that WSJ is pushing for a sports genre in its line-up; more specifically, a soccer manga. Enigma is an exception, but it's difficult for new series to stay afloat nowadays. I wouldn't mind WSJ adding a new sports series every time as long as there's variety.

Sweet. This history nerd is pleased to hear. :D
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm not totally digging Magico's art but that guy's got a pretty rocking hat

Grimm looks fun
 

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
I really hope that Sengoku Armors will have the same characters as in the one-shot. In my opinion they were great.

I think Magico looks pretty nice too. But the thing about that genre is that it has to feel totally right, or else it will feel completely wrong. There's not a middle way.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Asa: I-Revo was really good! Try it sometime.

drmke had been urging me to read Sengoku Armor for a while, now that it's getting serialized I tried it. The one shot was solid but has the potential to be a great serialization. Vast hordes and mercenaries fighting to collect the keys could be a great story if done well. It could easily become generic action trash, of course. No real opinions on the others. I can't really get much of an idea from the little pic but it looks like there is an outside chance that Magico's art isn't generic shonen style. If the art has any personality I'll give it a try.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top