Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Apart from Beelzebub and Magico, what series have the color pages, in issue 14?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Apart from Beelzebub and Magico, what series have the color pages, in issue 14?
Cover and lead color page will be taken by Sengoku Armors (new series); other color page is by Bleach.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Magica looks mediocre. I can't see anything about the art to distinguish it. I doubt the story really transcends typical action shonen either, the art tells enough of a story, I don't expect surprises. I may try it but I don't see much potential.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I skimmed through magico. It kinda reminded me of Akaboshi in its art style. Though not as wordy and boring as Akaboshi was. It could be ok I didn't read it too thoroughly because it's long. Some jokes about destiny and marriage which reminded me of Enigma.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I seem to have derailed the thread somewhat with my question. My apologies. I have a better understanding now so thank you to those who answered. :)

Magico looks like the typical LotR/early Final Fantasy. I don't mind, but I was hoping to see Asian inspired fantasy such as Twelve Kingdoms and Akaboshi. Although we have Mago (albeit being more supernatural) and Sengoku ARMORS on later so I guess we have enough already.
 

Steffan

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
95
Reaction score
24
Gender
Male
Country
Denmark
Is there a website that lists the winners of past Tezuka Awards?
I realized I've never seen a manga that won (or participated in) Tezuka, I thought that was kind of weird...

I know Oda supposedly won back in 1992, but other than that I am clueless.
Anyone?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Is there a website that lists the winners of past Tezuka Awards?
I realized I've never seen a manga that won (or participated in) Tezuka, I thought that was kind of weird...

I know Oda supposedly won back in 1992, but other than that I am clueless.
Anyone?
Well, Japanese wikipedia has listed all of past winners for Tezuka Award.
 

Steffan

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
95
Reaction score
24
Gender
Male
Country
Denmark
Thanks!
Now I know why I never see any oneshots from Tezuka... nobody ever wins. :XD
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Looking over the Tezuka winners, it''s really impossible to get a "ultimate prize" and somehow translate that into being a successful mangaka. (many have won the lower prizes though) Of the ones that actually got the highest award, I only really recognize two names we could pick out that actually had success:

-Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk, Real, Vagabond)
-Yoshiaki Ukeno (the one currently doing "Bimbougami Da!" in Square)

Comparatively I actually recognize more notable mangaka winning the Akatsuka award than the Tezuka, though only two of them would/may be known to us:

-Takeshi Okano (Hell Teacher Nube)
-Norihiro Yagi (Angel Densetsu, Claymore)
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Just read Magico. It was pretty decent I think. I really like the art, and the character designs remind me of Ichigo 100 percent, Tegami Bachi, and King of Bandit Jing respectively.

On that note, I don't really know if I see this series being a...series per se. I don't know how it can flesh itself out to last a while. As a one shot, it would have been pretty badass. Hell, as a one shot I would translate the thing since the text in it is pretty low compared to everything else I translate. Sadly I don't have enough time to pick up another series, since Gintama can sometimes take a whole day to do.

As for it's longevity, I dunno. I don't see it lasting too long either, but with only one chapter out I think it's premature to start saying this or that about it. I'll be rooting for it with cautious optimism. I hope someone translates it so that more people can get a better idea of what's going on...


....Or I could you know...drop Gintama. *Runs*
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner


I found preveiw picture for Sengoku Armors.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I really hope Sengoku Armors can stay as entertaining as the one shot. Out of all the new series I think it has the best chance of doing well.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I don't remember thinking this when I read the one-shot, but doesn't the art look a little like Fairy Tail (especially the girl)? ._. The character designs are a little different from the one-shot but I guess the story is still roughly the same since it still says "collecting the strongest weapons". Looking forward to it :nod
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I don't think so. Anyways, the main male character (Akechi, I think?) seems to be revamped to a younger-looking design. But he seems.....kinda emo. (God, I hope not!!) I really loved his personality in the one-shot. I would hate it if the author did a switcheroo.

Oh yeah, hopefully this one can be the next RuroKen.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
The art looks like a mix between Bleach and One Piece. It's kind of fascinating, actually.

Out of all of the new series, this one has the most potential. I have high hopes for Sengoku Armors. Don't let me down!
 

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
The cover of march volumes, but pretty small:

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! #33

Psyren #16

Nurarihyon no Mago #15

Toriko #13

Bakuman #12

Kuroko no Basket #11

Beelzebub #10

Medaka Box #9

Hokenshitsu no Shinigami #7

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen #3

Enigma #2

Light Wing #2

The cover of Beelzebub seems EPIC =O
 
Last edited:

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
^ T-the cover for Hitman Reborn is such a combo breaker!! Yamamoto and Asari Ugetsu fans will be so disappointed ;__;
and since when Tsuna is so muscular. :D go away, Tsuna!

Bakuman cover is hilarious. Once the author realize Hiramaru is popular suddenly his screentime increases and some previously important characters in Bakuman start to fade into background. *cough*

I am happy for Enigma. I hope it can keep going on like how the author want it. :D
 
Last edited:

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
According to the official Jump website One Piece will be taking a break in issue 14.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Dunno why, but I'm really digging Sengoku's new style.

Bakuman and Nurarihyon covers are awesome.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
According to the official Jump website One Piece will be taking a break in issue 14.
This is terrible news if it is true. Especially since it wasn't announced at the end of last chapter, which could mean it is an unplanned break. I remember one other time when One Piece wasn't listed on WSJ's website for the next chapter and it appeared anyway, so I am going to hope they just made a mistake.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top