Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bakuman takes the top spot this week.:) Bleach is low, hope it does better next time.:oh Reborn too. Mago still in the bottom five but still better than last week.

Bakuman and Gintama are so high :luv

And bleach is so low :oh
I know.:(
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Wow,Bakuman is really doing well lately!
And Bleach is so low i barely saw it:lmao
It seems things are slowly changing a bit.
 

BianchiChrome

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
220
Reaction score
111
Age
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hello! :amuse

I believe that one of the biggest problem that Reborn! is having right now is that the anime is not on. I believe that most of the series that are at the top right now have an anime that people can watch.

I also do not see much in the way of official promotion for the series right now. I rarely see any one doing much to get the word about about Reborn! to anyone other than Shonen Jump readers. Shonen Jump is putting more attention on Gintama, Bakuman, and Toriko.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hello! :amuse

I believe that one of the biggest problem that Reborn! is having right now is that the anime is not on. I believe that most of the series that are at the top right now have an anime that people can watch.

I also do not see much in the way of official promotion for the series right now. I rarely see any one doing much to get the word about about Reborn! to anyone other than Shonen Jump readers. Shonen Jump is putting more attention on Gintama, Bakuman, and Toriko.
Yeah, for the most part that is a major factor in why a lot of manga end post-anime after a while: without the focus in the limelight, they just fade away. I somehow think that's why "certain series I shall not name" is afraid of ending it's anime.

And don't really worry about the Toriko anime "bombing": a lot of times anime are rather huge for a first episode and it takes a few episodes for a steady audience to form or to determine if it's a true bomb.

As for the ToC: not much really to say...though I do like it. I've just had so little to say as of late about this sort of thing I guess due to really being "out of it" with manga and such.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
And don't really worry about the Toriko anime "bombing": a lot of times anime are rather huge for a first episode and it takes a few episodes for a steady audience to form or to determine if it's a true bomb.
No, it's not bombing, but it's not "gaining popularity" as Kewl believes either. It's normal for the rating to be like this, especially one as hyped as Toriko.

The point I'm trying to make is that Toriko's fanbase is currently saturated, and the growth in sales is small and steady at best, even with all the focused attentions. To say that, all of the sudden, it's this surging black sheep poised to become the new face of WSJ is just exaggerating the truth.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Another series they are promoting the heck out of is Beelzebub, look at how many color pages its been getting, even though its anime's popularity is no where near Toriko.

I do find the TOC odd at times. For Hokenshitsu and Medaka, and now even Mago, being on the bottom has been somewhat standard, but they aren't really in any danger for being cancelled.

I am wondering, hearing you guys talk about how many manga don't do so well once their anime finish...D.Gray-man never got to that point, seeing how many times the mangaka went on hiatus. But did its popularity really soar after the anime aired? I hope no one minds me asking, since I know D.Gray-man is now part of SQ, but for a while after the anime ended, it was still part of Weekly Jump.
 

cartofipai

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 4, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
5
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Just look at the ones between 7~9 instead of trying to pin point the exact start, and disregard the CP/Lead CP positions if you want (though, they sometimes do mean something).

my bad ... bakuman is first ... bigger YEY:eyeroll
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I do find the TOC odd at times. For Hokenshitsu and Medaka, and now even Mago, being on the bottom has been somewhat standard, but they aren't really in any danger for being cancelled.

I am wondering, hearing you guys talk about how many manga don't do so well once their anime finish...D.Gray-man never got to that point, seeing how many times the mangaka went on hiatus. But did its popularity really soar after the anime aired? I hope no one minds me asking, since I know D.Gray-man is now part of SQ, but for a while after the anime ended, it was still part of Weekly Jump.
I'm not so sure about Shinigami, but Medaka and Mago are probably safe for another 2~3 cuts (or ~6 months, give or take), before having to face possible cancellation. (These are just my personally guesses).

With Mago getting its second anime, that should give it plenty of time to try and boost itself. As for Medaka, if the editors can give Iwashiro that much longer for Psyren, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for Medaka, which has a bigger name (Nishio) and better tank sales.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I am wondering, hearing you guys talk about how many manga don't do so well once their anime finish...D.Gray-man never got to that point, seeing how many times the mangaka went on hiatus. But did its popularity really soar after the anime aired? I hope no one minds me asking, since I know D.Gray-man is now part of SQ, but for a while after the anime ended, it was still part of Weekly Jump.
I don't think D.Gray-man moved to SQ or taking hiatus because of decreasing popularity after anime. Hoshino, author of D.Gray-man, has too much pressure and stress on working weekly, plus she also has illness. That's why she moves to SQ. If D.Gray-man was still serialized in Jump and didn't have any hiatus, then D.Gray-man would have being more popular than Gintama and Reborn.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was trying to make a point that as series sort of "gain momentum" they get more popular. Like how they get games and movies and such the series becomes more "well known" and more popular from that. That's all. I was just trying to give general examples otherwise.

Stuff like Bleach and One Piece and Naruto which've had animes going for 10 years or whatever have had plenty of time to build up "momentum" and permeate into the mainstream. Whereas Bakuman and Toriko and Beelzebub who've only had an anime or something like it for 6 months or less, not so much.

And yeah, Bleach is pretty low ranked this week, isn't it?
I suppose even if it's got that sort of huge fanbase it's not guaranteed to get high TOC ranks.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I don't think D.Gray-man moved to SQ or taking hiatus because of decreasing popularity after anime. Hoshino, author of D.Gray-man, has too much pressure and stress on working weekly, plus she also has illness. That's why she moves to SQ. If D.Gray-man was still serialized in Jump and didn't have any hiatus, then D.Gray-man would have being more popular than Gintama and Reborn.
That's what Teeba was saying, DGM being an exception in the "popularity plummeting after anime" issue.
 

BianchiChrome

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
220
Reaction score
111
Age
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hello! :amuse

I believe that for the Reborn! fandom there is a strong desire to get the anime back. After the ending the fans were lead to believe that the anime was coming back this spring. A few official looking articles were put on the internet and then there has not been any official word from anyone from Shonen Jump or Artland on this matter. Reborn! was also given VOMICs with original cast members and new cast members to play new parts. However they were stopped for some reason without official word from anyone.

I believe that for the most part the Reborn! fandom does not know what is happening to anything. On the Wiki it has been put that the english VIZ manga has been canceled but nothing has been given to the fans to let them know officially what is going on by VIZ.

I feel that the lack of official information to the Reborn! fandom is making it hard for the fans to know what to expect. I hope that after Shonen Jump has promoted all their newer titles that have animes that they will start to give the Reborn! fans some official news on the status everything.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Wow, that's an awesome ranking for Bakuman for yet another week. Looks like everyone loves Nanamine :derp I wonder how the Japanese fandom will take to the ending of the arc (seeing how a sizeable number of MH members didn't like it). I'm looking forward to seeing how it ranks then.

Bleach is kiiiinda low this week. If Sengoku Armors is ranked this week then that's a pretty meh start it's off to. If Dois Sol is bombing so soon, then I suppose it's the next Light Wing and going straight into the can sometime soon.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Glad to see Bakuman #1 and Sket Dance in the top 5. Its nice to see the top not completely saturated with battle manga this week.

Bleach out of the top 5 and Reborn just right out of the bottom 5. Great stuff. I wouldn't mind a complete collapse from either of them down the road though its unlikely for the time being.

Hopefully Medaka can improve next week and I'll be happier for it.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
How the hell did Bakuman ranked higher than Naruto? Nanamine's arc was so boring :oh

It is not like Naruto has also been the most interesting ever, but imo there isn't any comparison possible ! :darn
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
You may have found it boring, but not everyone did :amuse Besides, the start of the Nanamine arc was interesting at least imo. I had very very high hopes for the arc at that point and so did many on MH. The current TOC ranks echo that. That's why I'm interested to see how it will rank from here on out, and if the opinions of the Japanese voters jive with ours (that the Nanamine arc eventually turned out to be largely a disappointment).
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Nanamine's arc started off hilarious

Then it got boring

Then it got hilarious again

But it did go on way too long IMO
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
i liked the nanamie arc, he was the frist antagonist, the other are friends who compete with each other. even if it falls at the ending of the arc, it will sure improve when nakai fight with hiramaru over aoki =)
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
The Nanamine arc may have had a disappointing conclusion, but it was definitely not boring. Especially when compared to Naruto, of all things. Nanamine was a very interesting character, and his philosophy about the internet really hits home for a lot of fans.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Shit Dois Sol crashed >.> Maybe it'll rise but I've seen this happen to far too many series I liked to have much hope. O well, maybe Sengoku can stay up somewhat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top